If Domino's Classed Up Their Act, Would It Change Your Opinion of Them?

mrosen814 2012/08/17 19:00:00
Domino's is attempting to reinvent their brand as an artisan pizza house, putting their pizzaiolas in the spotlight. But can the company ever change its fast-food type vibe?

The LA Times reports that: "Domino's eateries will begin to incorporate comfortable lobby areas as well as ordering kiosks and boards that track to-go orders electronically. Customers will be able to draw or leave feedback on chalk boards placed around the stores, which may also feature big-screen televisions."

Their logo is also getting a facelift, with the noticeable change being the removal of the word "pizza". Their justification for this, is that their menu encompasses way more than pizza, including cheesy sticks, bread bites, bread sticks, cinnamon bread sticks and more.

SLICE.SERIOUSEATS.COM reports:
The Domino's transformation continues. In keeping with the company's evolution into "artisanal" pizza making, the facade will now match, well, the facade.
facade moving delivery driven chain concept dominos creating pizza theaters

Read More: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/08/the-...

• WWZ Captain 2012/08/18 16:01:34
    WWZ Captain
    +8
    I clicked NO, on top of having flat out horrible food, every image I have of DOMINOS is this video...

• Inquisi... Sebastian 2012/08/20 02:49:03
    Inquisitve Kat
    I'm not a fan of Domino's but that's just a matter of not liking their sauce... I still recognise it as being a good pizza (and I realise it's good sauce, I just don't particularly like their spices... something in it makes my throat feel tight).
  • james.b... Sebastian 2012/08/20 12:29:23
    james.bowman.146
    +1
    Yes, but it's beyond cheap and I'm a college student. Have your friend behind the counter making them and buy three. You're now everyone's favorite when you get to the college party. :P
  • Mama Suds 2012/08/19 17:09:18
    Mama Suds
    I like the chalkboard idea ... NOT
    Who wants chalk dust all over the place ... but because it is Dominoes, I imagine they will charge to have chalk dust as an extra topping for eating in.
    It would probably improve the taste
    ... don't go in wearing
  • Mama Suds Mama Suds 2012/08/19 17:10:18
    Mama Suds
    +2
    anything black
  • Alvin 2012/08/19 16:10:56
    Alvin
    +4
    I think they have the lousiest pizza in the world. Bland sauces, plastic cheese, skimpy ingredients and way too pricey.
  • Herb Alvin 2012/08/19 22:05:30
    Herb
    they have changed the sauce given it more kick with red pepper 3 kinds off cheeses and a new crust.
  • Inquisi... Alvin 2012/08/19 23:17:45
    Inquisitve Kat
    Bland sauces? Come try it in Canada... I'm not a fan of them, and one of the reasons is because their sauce is too spicy. lol
  • 3188419 2012/08/19 16:02:31
  • Herb 3188419 2012/08/19 22:06:14
    Herb
    how long ago new sauce with red pepper kick and 3 cheeses and new crust change might try again.
  • 3188419 Herb 2012/08/20 00:14:55
  • ebby 2012/08/19 14:26:55
    ebby
    Hey , as long as it is clean and the pizza is still hot, how does it matter? Looks like a cool place, now ruggeros did the same thing and it is still good pizza.
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/08/19 12:26:38
    Nekosarethebest
    +2
    I will take my pizza from a real pizza shop and eat it there.
  • bluelady 2012/08/19 12:26:24
    bluelady
    +3
    a pizza place needs GOOD pizza first...Dominos just isnt that good...they are all spices that overpower the flavor of the sauce and the other toppings
    I usually call almost any other pizza shop in town...Pontillos, Salvatores, (GREAT!!)...Marks or PapaJohns
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/08/19 09:13:07
    JERSEYDUDE
    +1
    i dont eat that commercial crap......i like real pizza
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/08/19 08:38:32
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    It's a pizza joint. Geeeez.
  • KingdomNow 2012/08/19 08:09:45
    KingdomNow
    +4
    What, like their crappy food in a prettier box?

Learn from Subway: Improve your damn product.
  • NYCbrit 2012/08/19 06:57:31
    NYCbrit
    +1
    Dressing something up doesn't improve it necessarily.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/08/19 06:54:32
    +2
    They are still owned by Bain Capital and I would never buy anything from them. Same with Burger King, Staples, Dunkin Donuts and many of the other companies they own.
  • Nuke sjalan 2012/08/19 16:34:00
    Nuke
    So? I don't care about affiliation, if a place has good food I eat there, if not then I don't it's as simple as that, Domino's has horrible food so I don't go there, there's plenty of places I go to that I don't agree with politically, if a place is bad enough they'll shut down sooner or later.
  • us sjalan 2012/08/19 17:31:51
    us
    so, what if own by bain capital, people have jobs, they can buy what they want and government collect taxes.
  • sjalan us 2012/08/19 19:56:08
    +1
    In the end it is survival of the fittest in the business. This is just another example of vulture capitalists having taken and stripped down a business to the minium and sucked the life out of it. Now they have lost market share and are not going to survive past the end of next year anyway no matter what they do. This becomes a perfect opportunity for a company like Round Table Pizza to fill in the gap and take a larger market share. With the expansion of Round Table Pizza into areas where Domino's shuts down the Domino's employees simply shift over to Round Table.

Really simple economics.
  • us sjalan 2012/08/20 01:45:26
    us
    I never heard of Round table Pizza
  • sjalan us 2012/08/20 05:26:50
    Very BIG in Nevada, California, Oregon and Washington. They have an outlet in the Airport in Phoenix Terminal 2 as well. lol the beach head for expansion here in AZ.
  • us sjalan 2012/08/21 01:54:01
    us
    thank you for writing back.
  • sjalan us 2012/08/21 02:14:47
    You're welcome. They make a very good pizza. This is their King Arthur's Supreme Pizza. It is VERY good. I think I should have opened a franchise but I'd be over 500 pounds by now if I had.

pizza king arthurs supreme pizza opened franchise 500 pounds
  • us sjalan 2012/08/21 15:19:24
    us
    Do you ever order extra chees on your pizza, and do you know if there is any in Michigan, or if they are coming here.
  • sjalan us 2012/08/21 15:48:16
    They have a great selection of standard pizza's and you can custom order any thing you like as well in a "build your own" menu.

Seems from the listings I found that they have withdrawn from NV, WA and OR. and are concentrating on expanding in California right now. But I know they still have a unit at the Phoenix Airport.

I guess the economy has really turned the screws down to their expansion plans.
  • us sjalan 2012/08/23 02:01:03
    us
    thanks for writing back, I believe alot of business have come to a stand still, because no know what going to happen.
  • sjalan us 2012/08/23 03:24:57
    Personally, this is the very time that businesses should be expanding regardless of what is happening in Washington or the political races. Why? Because expansion of a good solid business during a down turn in the economy ALWAYS pays when things turn around.

Franchises like Round Table are moneymakers in any economy. Things will get tight, yes, and start-ups are difficult, but this is the very time that the parents companies should be investing in future expansion into new territories. But seems that retrenching is move the vogue since people are scared that it economy will take another nose dive.

The problem with that mind set is that it is self realizing. Contraction of business lays people off and those that get laid off cut spending and are put on unemployment which in turn raises governmental costs and costs to the employer. It is a vicious downward spiral and if the Republican/Tea Party doesn't get out of the way and begin to assist in creating jobs it WILL be to late and we will have a very nasty double dipper recession; and the next one will be a very nasty one, far worse than what has happened already.
  • us sjalan 2012/08/23 20:11:08
    us
    don't blame the tea party, republican, right now democratics have spent more money, and sent it over seas, in return that money
    could of help american people here, so they did not lose there homes, the ones who where paying there bills, but lost there job.

Government democratics, republican, got out control on there salaries.
  • sjalan us 2012/08/23 21:52:20
    Their salaries are the one of the least of problems in DC. The money that has gone overseas has been sent there by us greedy US Citizens who want CHEEP prices and CHEEP goods at the expense of US MADE IN AMERICA JOBS. Add to that the GREED of the Corporations that want LARGE PROFITS.
  • us sjalan 2012/08/24 18:57:16
    us
    But, I believe business that made money, worker push for money, and benefits, Evertime someone want more, the business raise the price of things. Ex: in 1976 I made only 2.35 an hour, but if you worked 40 hrs you got benefits, I was happy. My husband said when he started at chrysler he made 5.00 and hour and benefits. Others jobs I had I had to pay tword my benefits. I believe wages, housing prices got out of control and this is where we are now. WE going backwards, housing is dropping, wages are be lowered.
  • sjalan us 2012/08/24 20:54:26
    Well lets see when I started working I made just over $0.75 an hour. No benefits, No vacation. I worked between 8-12 hours a day and busted my butt. As I grew older I looked for jobs that paid better and had benefits. Found one with a government agency which paid reasonable well and had benefits. I made it a career and went from the LOWEST outside hire position to the third HIGHEST position in the agency. My chain of report was the Director, the Deputy Director and then there was me. That took me 40 years of constant improvement of my skills and education. Yes one of the benefits of the agency was to educate their employees and promote from within when qualified individuals were available. At 42 years with the agency I realized I wasn't ever going to get the top or even second slot so I retired. I was a doer not a politician. I got things done.

Right now this nation is on track to go back into a recession much worse than the one we just came out of. WHY? Very simple, Greed of the employer wanting to add to the bottom line and the removal of the benefits that are NEEDED for employees to survive in today's world. When I was a kid you could go to the doctor with a couple laying hens and get just about anything you needed done, done. Walk into an emergency room with a couple of la...

Right now this nation is on track to go back into a recession much worse than the one we just came out of. WHY? Very simple, Greed of the employer wanting to add to the bottom line and the removal of the benefits that are NEEDED for employees to survive in today's world. When I was a kid you could go to the doctor with a couple laying hens and get just about anything you needed done, done. Walk into an emergency room with a couple of laying hens and you'd get thrown out even if you were bleeding to death.

Oh too my salaries were not that great at the government agency. Guys I knew who managed 375 people like I did were making easily twice and three times what I was making. And they got much better benefits than I did and do.

Have I done well. Yes. I have been and still am frugal and pay cash for everything. I have two credit cards to my name which always have a zero balance because I pay them off when ever they are used.
  • us sjalan 2012/08/25 03:21:54
    us
    I don't blame just employers, cost of everything has gone up.
  • Inquisi... sjalan 2012/08/19 23:20:27
    Inquisitve Kat
    Didn't know that, thanks for posting about it.
  • sjalan Inquisi... 2012/08/20 00:53:27
    +1
    You're welcome, There are many other companies that Bain Capital owns too do a websearch for :Bain Capital companies. there are several sitesthat have la\ists of them.
  • Jiorgia 2012/08/19 04:15:56
    Jiorgia
    dominos is the worst pizza ever.
  • Nuke 2012/08/19 02:50:34
    Nuke
    +2
    As the old saying goes "you can put a dress on abe vigoda but it's still abe vigoda." lol
  • goatman112003 2012/08/19 02:47:30
    goatman112003
    Look I like their pizza and whatever they do is fine with me.

2014/10/22 03:27:18