If a young set of parents give explicit orders that they do not want their baby baptized, would it be wrong for the Grandparents to sneak behind their backs and have that baby baptized?

MidnightCowboy 2012/06/23 11:22:07

• ehrhornp 2012/06/23 22:33:52
    Yes, the Grandparents would be in the wrong.
    ehrhornp
    They are grandparents, not parents. If the parents say no, their wishes should be respected. The kid can always be baptized at a later date.
  • METALheadMom 2012/06/23 16:49:35
    METALheadMom
    I would absolutely FLIP OUT if anyone went behind my back and did anything like that with my kids. I realize the intent is a good one, HOWEVER, I do NOT endorse any elder choosing a religion for any child. That must be a choice, not a requirement. I love my family BECAUSE they let me choose my own beliefs.
  • Heavy 2012/06/23 16:42:23
    Heavy
    Let the child make his own decisions when he gets old enough to know what they mean.
  • D D 2012/06/23 14:47:13
    D D
    That is a tough one. I can understand both sides. A parents decision should be respected. The grandparents are concerned about soul, and a soul is nothing to take lightly.

Thankfully this does not apply to me because I don't believe in infant baptism. I do understand many do, and it is a serious matter. I don't know why parents would say no. I mean, if they don't believe in it themselves, then it is no big deal and just let the grandparents baptize the baby.
  • Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2012/06/23 14:06:44
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    I'd secretly induct the grandparents into the Church of Satan as a response, and send them the severed head of a raccoon in the mail.
  • Flamingolady 2012/06/23 12:20:36
    No, the Grandparents are thinking about the child's soul.
    Flamingolady
    Grand parents are not supposed to interfere with their children's parenting.
  • Metaldane 2012/06/23 12:10:34
    Metaldane
    If my gfs parents did that if we had a kid I'd take a play out of their book and excommunicate em permanently
  • N-RagedOwner 2012/06/23 11:59:08
    N-RagedOwner
    The parents may be choosing a different religious path for their child or may have other reasons for not wanting their child baptized. If the grandparents do it anyway, that's a form of disrespect against the parents wishes and could be a sign that they would disregard other wishes of theirs as well.
  • Aingean 2012/06/23 11:52:30
    Aingean
    It isn't their child and maybe they want the child to understand what it means before they get baptized, if they get baptized.

2014/04/21 09:40:32