I have chest pain. Should I go to the hospital?

La 2012/08/24 23:20:28

It's not a heart attack or anything. I'm 20 years old. It's that stabbing chest pain that hits when you breathe in deeply. I've had it before but usually it only lasts a few minutes. This chest pain has lasted 13 hours.

It could be really stubborn indigestion. I got it a few minutes after eating indian food last night. I've taken something for indigestion but that didn't do much.

It could be some kind of virus. I took painkillers but they did absolutely nothing to relieve the pain.

If anyone has any ideas of what else it could be, or any other ideas of what I could do to fix it, please let me know. I'd really rather not go to a hospital since I have an exam in a few days and I really need to study for it. I'm quite worried though because it's gone on for a while and doesn't seem to be resolving itself.

• JMCC 2012/08/24 23:24:19
    Go to the hospital
    JMCC
    +5
    Given that you have an exam in a few days time, it could very well be stress related and any stress related chest pains really should be looked at - no matter what age you are.

• Its just me 2013/07/19 04:14:29
    Go to the hospital
    Its just me
    I have chest pans almost every week. I would go but my parents just say, "i cant do a thin about it" i wish i could talk to them about it. I have 7 of 8 symptoms of Angina. HELP ME!!
  • La Its jus... 2013/07/22 08:00:36
    La
    Ahh not sure what I can do to help. Have you been to a doctor?
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/09/01 15:40:11
    Go to the hospital
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +1
    Mayibe you have a pinched nerve between your shoulder blades. You may need a spinal cracker. Too much time hunched over a computer studying for exams.
  • Michael... Pedro D... 2012/09/16 06:05:12
    Michael McFascist
    +1
    Yep! That'll do it too.
  • Swan Eshdeh 2012/08/31 13:26:23
    Other
    Swan Eshdeh
    it is happening ..it usually spasm in the muscles between the ribs .
    but since you say stabbing.i don't know,is it like heaviness ,crushing ,suffocating pain ?
  • Different 2012/08/26 05:59:59
    Other
    Different
    How long has it been hurting?
  • La Different 2012/08/27 00:23:44
    La
    About 2 days, but the pain is minimal now. I'm sure it's going away.
  • James 2012/08/26 01:15:35
    Just wait until it sorts itself out
    James
    I had that happen to me. It's nothing really serious. Trust me.
  • Jackie 2012/08/25 22:36:37
    Go to the hospital
    Jackie
    +2
    Yes ...Age has nothing to do with heart attacks. Go and check it out, now.
  • La Jackie 2012/08/25 23:51:54
    La
    +3
    It's all good, I went in last night. They did an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays and ruled out all the dangerous stuff. So while they didn't know quite what it was, it's definitely not something to be worried about it and it should go away in a few days :)
  • Michael... La 2012/08/26 00:08:45
    Michael McFascist
    +1
    good to know it's OK.
  • *SqU!R@L QuE3N* 2012/08/25 21:08:34
    Go to the hospital
    *SqU!R@L QuE3N*
    +1
    even though your young you could get a heart attack
  • bye 2012/08/25 19:36:44
    Go to the hospital
    bye
    +1
    To do otherwise could mean to die or do serious heart damage...but it's your life
  • La bye 2012/08/25 23:52:44
    La
    +2
    :P It's okay, I went in. They ruled out all the heart problems first and said it's nothing serious and should go away in a few days.
  • Queen B 2012/08/25 17:07:49
    Go to the hospital
    Queen B
    +1
    Age as nothing to do with it. Young people can have heart problems too. Maybe not a heart attack but other serious issues. Don't delay and get yourself to a doctor ASAP!
  • La Queen B 2012/08/25 23:53:32
    La
    +1
    Yes, I dragged my mother and boyfriend along with me to the hospital last night and they ruled out all the serious stuff. Thankfully we were only there for a few hours.
  • 81sp 2012/08/25 16:16:53
    Go to the hospital
    81sp
    +1
    chest pains take no risks. better to be above ground than below
  • DM Twin 2012/08/25 15:42:08
    Other
    DM Twin
    get to a medical expert asap....
  • La DM Twin 2012/08/25 23:54:24
    La
    +2
    Yes, I decided to go into the hospital last night, and they tested for and ruled out all the serious stuff :)
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/08/25 15:37:33
    Other
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    +1
    It could be pleurisy,you should see your doctor as soon as you can.This is very painful when taking deep breaths or coughing,and can last for days.Or like Doc said muscle spasm's.Either or I would see the Doctor..
  • La Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/08/25 23:55:27
    La
    I don't think it's pleurisy because apparently I would have other symptoms and/or the pain would be stronger. Most likely is either some kind of muscle thing, or a belated virus symptom. I was sick a few weeks ago but I thought I was better.
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ La 2012/08/26 14:49:16
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    Well apparently you can become quite sick from pleurisy,and most of the symptoms you get with pleurisy is pain when breathing.Sometimes pleurisy is not so bad,just manly pain for hours or a few days. Pleurisy can be a virus infection But what ever you have or dont have you should not be asking for advice to go to the hospital its something you should just do.
  • La Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/08/27 00:25:31
    La
    Lol....not really, if it's not an emergency, you're not supposed to go into the emergency room just for kicks. Many health problems resolve themselves. As it happens, I did go into the hospital, but I didn't *need* to. They ruled out all the serious stuff, so I don't need to worry, but it didn't make a difference to my "condition".
  • jule-sy 2012/08/25 15:17:29
    Go to the hospital
    jule-sy
    You won't be able to take a test from a hospital bed so you better see your dr. and get checked out. Maybe the pain isn't heart related but to have a stabbing pain as you explained is not normal and I doubt it is something viral since it is that kind of pain. It could be stress related; are you under alot of pressure?
    Still, make an appt. to see your family dr. and write us after you have been seen, ok?
  • jule-sy jule-sy 2012/08/25 15:37:24
    jule-sy
    +1
    Also, I am not in the medical field but I read alot and know of people who mentioned having the stabbing pain you mentioned and turned out to be due to high stress. Sometimes our bodies mimic a serious condition and it really isn't but stress can make this happen and other times it will signal a different condition but well worth seeing a dr. about. You waited too long already so make yourself an appt. Doesn't mean you have to go to a hospital but if what you have is heart related you might have to if your dr. tells you.
    You BETTER do it! =D
  • La jule-sy 2012/08/25 23:59:42
    La
    Haha, well I did wait a bit long to see a doctor 'cause I decided I wanted someone to diagnose it properly after dinner last night, so we went into the hospital. It was a good time because it was before all the drunken idiots smashed themselves up and needed treatment, so there weren't many people in there and they saw us right away. They ruled out all the serious stuff and we were only there for a few hours, mostly waiting for the blood tests and xray results to come back.

I figured hospital was better than doctor anyway because they have all the nice fancy equipment there. I didn't feel like a doctor would be able to actually do much. At the hospital they reassured me there wasn't anything seriously wrong with me and it should go away by itself. So I didn't *need* to go in but all the same, I'm definitely glad I did because now I know I don't need to be worried. Although if the chest pain is still here in another week I might get worried again. And you're right, it could be stress related, although I haven't felt stressed lately, but I have been doing exams so maybe I'm subconsciously stressed :P
  • jule-sy La 2012/08/26 00:38:54
    jule-sy
    I'm so glad you went. I thought maybe you were scared to go to a hospital but I see you were pretty fascinated with everything. well, hope the tests come back clear but that pain you were having isn't normal. Take care and write back when you get results. And good luck on your school test.
  • Robbb 2012/08/25 12:27:47
    Go to the hospital
    Robbb
    +1
    You might have some sort of inflammation round the lungs which can be helped by dosing up on an anti inflammatory of some sort. An over the counter arthritis anti inflammatory might do the job, However if it persists you should definitely get some medical advice
  • La Robbb 2012/08/26 00:00:41
    La
    It's all good, I went to the hospital last night and they ruled out all the serious stuff, so whatever it is, it's not life threatening or anything. The only thing they couldn't check for was a blood clot, but my chances for that are astronomically small.
  • Robbb La 2012/08/26 00:08:22
    Robbb
    The blood clot scenario happened to my wife a few years ago, it had worked its way from an ankle injury to her lung, spent more then a week in hospital while they dissolved it. She was lucky it ended up in her lung rather then her heart or brain. Anyway its good to hear you are OK
  • Demoness 2012/08/25 10:41:48
    Go to the hospital
    Demoness
    +1
    It could be something very very serious...go get checked out for both safety and peace of mind..
  • La Demoness 2012/08/26 00:01:19
    La
    Yes, I went in last night. They couldn't diagnose it, but they did rule out all of the serious stuff, so I do feel better that I don't need to worry about it.
  • Demoness La 2012/08/26 14:26:56
    Demoness
    +1
    Great news..and at least your mind is at rest now..
  • Singerar 2012/08/25 09:32:12 (edited)
    Go to the hospital
    Singerar
    +1
    Go to ER and have them do a simple blood test called "enzyme". DON'T rely on an EKG. The blood test can detect certain cells you heart pushes out when ONLY having a heart attack. I had one at a very early age. Better safe than sorry hon.
    Go now.

A CKMB test helps diagnose a heart attack, to be exact.
  • La Singerar 2012/08/26 00:22:03
    La
    Yes, I went in last night and they did EKG, blood tests and chest xrays. Everything came back normal. Well, they continuously implied the EKG was not perfect but that it was nothing to worry about. Bloods and xrays were perfect though.
  • Singerar La 2012/08/26 17:27:14
    Singerar
    +1
    Yeah! So glad everything is okay!
  • Doc. J 2012/08/25 09:19:41
    Just wait until it sorts itself out
    Doc. J
    +2
    Relax.....Doc is all over this. I have seen this MANY times.
    I have some GOOD and BAD news for you:

You have an intercostal muscle cramp. The giveaway is that the pain is sharp(stabbing) and happens in conjunction with deep breathing.

You have bands of muscle between your ribs, they are assessory breathing muscles, and they help give the rib cage strength.
    Like any other muscles...they can cramp. This generally has a high level of "suck" because it's extremely hard to stretch these muscles out and relieve the cramp. Such cramps can last from minuets to days, and the pain right along with them.
    Pain killers arn't going to work because they don't address the cause of your pain.
    NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti Inflamitories) like Motrin or Naproxin will help a little, but unless you have muscle relaxants hanging around (Valium) there isn't much by way of medication that's going to help you out.
    Your best bet is going to be massaging out the cramp with your finger tips, or getting someone to do it for you......BTW, that's going to suck a bit itself.
    Then.....eat a banana, or some other food with a high level of Potasium in it. Potasium helps prevent cramps in muscle, that's why marathoners eat them as they run.

The GOOD NEWS: You don't have a heart problem, and this is nothing life ...

I have some GOOD and BAD news for you:

The GOOD NEWS: You don't have a heart problem, and this is nothing life threatening or even serious.

The BAD NEWS: These cramps are notoriusly hard to get rid of, so you may have to deal with it until it decides to go away on it's own.
  • terrabytes Doc. J 2012/08/25 09:46:34
    terrabytes
    +2
    That's very interesting.
  • Doc. J terrabytes 2012/08/25 13:18:45
    Doc. J
    +1
    Meh...
  • La Doc. J 2012/08/26 00:25:08
    La
    +1
    Why thank you, this is useful. I will try the eating bananas and massaging. I decided today to avoid breathing deeply because that's what triggers it, so it's easier to ignore when I breathe...not deeply. Yesterday I 'tested it' a lot to see if the pain was still there, which it always was. I think today I'll try to avoid it as much as possible. This is a good move, right? It's not like breathing deeply will relax the muscle, right?

2014/09/24 02:38:58