I believe in a combination of pre-ordination and cause-effect- I do not believe in luck lets heaar your theory

den 2011/12/19 11:32:44
you tell me

• Tasine 2011/12/19 12:07:18
    I do not believe in luck/chance because
    Tasine
    +4
    I believe in pre-ordination and cause-effect. I believe that because of personal experiences I have had that COULD have been chalked up to good luck or bad luck, but I KNEW luck had nothing to do with those experiences.

• JohnnyRudick 2012/01/02 21:05:15
    other ideas
    JohnnyRudick
    +2
    I believe in what ever happens next is the result of all that went on before.

Everything has its natural course of events and follows the laws governing those events.

If a vase is pushes off a table by what ever force, it will fall in the direction forced unless a greater force pushes it some other way.

If enough mass is in it's way it will stop when it comes into contact with that mass and what ever happens next will be governed by the situation there where it be an intervening force from outside the event or some other event or circumstance.

This is the way it is in most events in this world weather the vase be you or I or the world on which we stand.

God is also a force to interact or if He so chooses.

Our death can happen at any time.
    John 7:6 "Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come:
    but your time is alway ready."

"Luck" is a man made way of saying
    "I hope what ever happens next is in my (or your) favor."

There is no "force" called "Luck".
  • Matt 2011/12/20 03:43:58
    I believe in luck/chance because
    Matt
    +2
    God is not a micro-manager. We are all gifted with a free will. Luck is unpredictable and always resides in hindsight. If you beat the mathematical odds of probability, you were "lucky". If you lose, you were "unlucky".
    Micromanager
  • den Matt 2011/12/20 12:00:27
    den
    +1
    the Bible says-man diveseth his way but God directeth his step we have no free will only a will that is never free -that should be obvious
  • Matt den 2011/12/20 14:27:06
    Matt
    +1
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
  • JohnnyR... den 2012/01/02 21:20:49
    JohnnyRudick
    Not-so obvious.

How is it that you give a verse with no reference points for us to check it out with?

I know of no such teaching in that context.

It don't mean it ain't there just sayin' that. . .
  • Rick from Overland Park 2011/12/19 23:54:53
    other ideas
    Rick from Overland Park
    +1
    Being a Christian, I do not believe in fatalism, i.e., that all is pre-ordained and there is nothing we can do to change our destiny. 1. Some things are pre-ordained, i.e., events in prophecy, certain people pre-ordained for certain jobs. 2. I believe bring about change through prayer. 3. I also believe in time and change which happens to everyone (I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all" Ecclesiastes 9:11). Being in the right place at the right time, or wrong time by chance. We are free moral agencies. We make decisions which affect our lives.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/12/19 20:13:17
    I do not believe in luck/chance because
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +3
    In my realm I called being Blessed. Luck is chance. Life is not chance to me. Acts and events come together to make things happen
  • JohnnyR... Nam Era... 2012/01/02 21:24:05
    JohnnyRudick
    +2
    Gottcha.

I too believe that Acts and events come together to make things happen.
    I also add that I believe in God and that He CAN enter the scene if He so chooses and act upon the event to sway the outcome.
  • Nam Era... JohnnyR... 2012/01/02 21:25:18
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Me too
  • Malachi 2011/12/19 19:57:40
    I do not believe in luck/chance because
    Malachi
    +2
    Everything happens for a reason, even if i don't understand the reason for it at the time.
  • JohnnyR... Malachi 2012/01/02 21:27:19
    JohnnyRudick
    +1
    I believe that the outcome can be brought about for our good.

It is not "built in"., but God can make even what seems evil to a good outcome.

Many times He starts the ball rolling to bring about His marvelous purposes.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2011/12/19 17:57:50
    other ideas
    SK-pro impeachment
    +3
    God knows everything from the end to the beginning, but we don't and left things up to us to discover through choices we make. i don't believe in luck or chance as in something to rely on. It becomes dangerous to over think predestination as the Bible says we only know in part. We know some will be saved and some will not but we don't know who, that is why He left us with the Great Commission to go make disciples of all men.
  • Bob DiN 2011/12/19 16:35:16
    I do not believe in luck/chance because
    Bob DiN
    +3
    You have to make your own luck.
  • Striker 2011/12/19 16:30:11
    other ideas
    Striker
    +3
    I believe in Reason and Truth, not luck or blind faith.
  • JohnnyR... Striker 2012/01/02 21:31:06
    JohnnyRudick
    "Blind Faith", is faith ion nothing.

If you believe you have faith in SOMETHING or SOMEONE it is not blind.
    Even if the something or someone is not there.
    The faith was only misplaced unfortunately.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2011/12/19 15:39:00
    other ideas
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +3
    By definition, Luck is Chance,
    And Chance is what is done.
    The Preacher said that Time and Chance
    Will come to everyone. (Ecclesiastes 9:11)

We cannot tell what may befall
    As we go trudging through,
    But when it does, it's we who say
    What kind of Luck we knew.

Good Luck is just as we suppose;
    Of Bad, the same is true;
    However we perceive a thing
    According to our view.

Though others may find blessings in
    Events that we think curse,
    If we don't see the good in them
    Is not our lot the worse?

I don't know how God looks at Luck;
    I know He's not confused.
    He knows how things will come about,
    Perhaps with us, amused.

There must be rules to how Luck works
    Of which we're not aware.
    And blessings it most surely brings,
    As rain comes from the air.

For God sends rain to all below
    And we see Good or Ill.
    Some choose to see the damage done,
    While others start to till.

Of all He sends to us in Life,
    I know He means us well.
    It's up to us to see in strife
    The Good, though hard to tell.

For Luck is only what has passed.
    We cannot see it come.
    And what we choose to make of it
    Should never make us glum.

It's all to make us stronger,
    As each event comes by.
    The "Good" to give us courage,
    The "Bad" to make us try.

by David E. Sawyer on September 23, 2005
  • den Dave Sa... 2011/12/20 12:02:03
    den
    +2
    the preacher doies not say luck and chance
  • Dave Sa... den 2011/12/20 17:23:00
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    I'm a poet and as I already said "Luck is Chance".
  • Clay Slayer 2011/12/19 15:01:11
    other ideas
    Clay Slayer
    +3
    If you belive in a God, and everything is pre-ordained, then that would make "Free Will" an illusion.

If an action is pre-destined then you have no control over it ,it is going to happen anyway..

It is horrible to think that a child was predestined to be raped and murdered. Or that certain people are predestined to die a horrible death from cancer, or their life snuffed out in a horrible car crash.

If predestination is a fact then it is a cruel fact and stinks...
  • den Clay Sl... 2011/12/20 12:08:32
    den
    +2
    free will is an illusion -that is easily seen as we can never do as we would and can make nothing come out as we want- we have a will and a choice but it within a framework put there by God from which we never escape- most people are enslaved by demons and are locked into body and soul destroying habits- the only time we can do as we will is when our will and Gods' will join in agreement .
  • JohnnyR... Clay Sl... 2012/01/02 22:56:20
    JohnnyRudick
    +1
    Time is not an illusion.
    And
    All things either act or are acted upon.
    And yes, God is a factor but the "girl raped and murdered" is an act of aggression by the perpetrators and the result of free will which is a part of the world in which we live and another effect of time.

Predestination is creation of man and that is a fact.
    We cannot righteously be judged if we are compelled to act out the sin we are accused of.
  • lm1b2 2011/12/19 14:44:44
    I do not believe in luck/chance because
    lm1b2
    +2
    Its just a meanless expression,everything is pre-ordained.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/12/19 13:51:12
  • den I NEED ... 2011/12/20 12:09:49
    den
    +1
    the Bible tells us plaiinly. there is no free will but mans' pride and arrogance insist on believing it
  • I NEED ... den 2011/12/20 14:48:15
  • JohnnyR... I NEED ... 2012/01/02 22:57:45
    JohnnyRudick
    Plainly? Where is the quote that there is no free will?
  • Clay Sl... I NEED ... 2012/01/02 23:25:52
    Clay Slayer
    The Christian Bible denies free will and any element of choice in what good works we do. God has picked who will do what good deeds, and God also punishes and rewards people on account of what God has chosen, in accordance with God's plan and purpose. This is all very unfair, immoral by any standards, and evil. If the Christian God exists, it is evil. A good god would simply choose everyone to conform to Jesus, to be blessed, to be 'blameless'. This must only amplify the grief of those who are not chosen! The scheme of God, according to the Bible, has nothing to do with free will. It has everything to do with God exercising power, with no concern for morality or free will.
  • I NEED ... Clay Sl... 2012/01/03 00:03:03 (edited)
  • JohnnyR... den 2012/01/02 22:57:32
    JohnnyRudick
  • I NEED ... JohnnyR... 2012/01/02 23:00:54
  • Clay Sl... JohnnyR... 2012/01/02 23:07:37
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    The Bible teaches that there is no free will. Examining Exodus, Ecclesiastes 7, Ephesians 1, Ephesians 2, Acts 13, Romans 8, Roman 9, 2 Timothy, 2 Thessalonians, Titus 3:4-5 and Revelations, we see that God's plan overrides our free will; those that do good do the specific good that God predestined them to do, and all others are ruled by Satan because God sends "powerful delusions" to them. The Christian Bible frequently states that God creates our future and decides our fates, no matter what our own will is. It constantly denies that we have free will. Some of the foremost Christians in history have taught that there is no free will, including St. Augustine (one of the four great founders of Western Christianity1), Martin Luther (founder of Protestantism) and John Calvin
  • JohnnyR... Clay Sl... 2012/01/07 19:49:20
    JohnnyRudick
    I believe that they misunderstand that even if you do not act to bring about Gods over all picture for this world some one else will.

We still as individuals make choices that bring about our individual fate.

Just because if you do not choose to work to bring about God's plan does not mean that your choice to not participate will still be used to bring about Gods will.
    Yet you still had a choice and God will force no man to act or think other then what the person chooses to act or think. The verses you have here in no way take away an individuals abilities to choose.
  • rand 2011/12/19 13:23:27
    I believe in luck/chance because
    rand
    +3
    ...we don't get to choose our circumstances initially. Learning to live happily with whatever we've gotten is the secret to enjoying life.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/19 13:05:49
    other ideas
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I'm not an expert on this.
  • Tasine 2011/12/19 12:07:18
    I do not believe in luck/chance because
    Tasine
    +4
  • Alien Ramone 2011/12/19 11:49:46
    I believe in luck/chance because
    Alien Ramone
    +3
    My loose interpretation is that quantum mechanics as it is understand so far, shows that there are different possible outcomes for the same set of circumstances at the quantum level and the outcome can't be predicted, but the chances for an outcome can be calculated. I think there may be many different universes and many timeline branches of universes.
  • OzSurfer Alien R... 2011/12/19 12:34:30
    OzSurfer
    +2
    Wow, i didn't know this - thanks!
  • Alien R... OzSurfer 2011/12/19 22:27:00
    Alien Ramone
    +2
    Here are some interesting 1 minute physics videos. One video is about the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, and the other is about how there isn't enough heat in the sun to cause fusion without factoring in for the probability of quantum mechanics. I saw a video a long time ago that did a good job showing how it worked, but I couldn't find it just now. It has something to do with the chance of subatomic particles being in the right position to cause fusion. In the video they mentioned that before scientists realized that there was quantum tunneling, they didn't know why fusion was occurring in the sun, but that fact wasn't really played up at the time:

• OzSurfer Alien R... 2011/12/20 04:49:14
    OzSurfer
    +2
    This is great, thanks!
  • den Alien R... 2011/12/20 12:11:41
    den
    +2
    you can figure this out but nothing is that cut and dried-all kinds of illogical and unexpected things happen

2014/09/22 21:29:19