HUGS...When is it appropriate ? and when is it not ?

▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲© 2010/08/09 17:56:02
Related Topics: Opposite Sex
Yes it is acceptable and here's why....
It is never acceptable and here's why...

Some people that are married feel it is perfectly
acceptable to hug others of the opposite sex
that their spouse does not know, Whilst
others do not believe it is acceptable to
hug others of the opposite sex that their
spouse does not know....

So...What do you think and why ?

• melissabright 2013/12/30 13:40:38 (edited)
    Yes it is acceptable and here's why....
    melissabright
    It depends on the people involved...a hug is a hug...it is a nonverbal means of communication between 2 or more people...it is a way of showing affection but not necessarily romantic feelings...it is also used in comforting one who is feeling emotionally upset...there are different hugs for different reasons...it is natural for us as humans to hug one another....also if I know the person then I also would know what a hug might mean to that person....if he has any interest in me at all I don't hug him just because he might think ot is more than a hug....but I know the guys I work with my husband doesn't and and I am very comfortable hugging them and know nothing else is meant other that friends and we show we care for eachother
  • GhislaineRegout 2010/08/09 20:27:49
    Yes it is acceptable and here's why....
    GhislaineRegout
    It depends on the people. I used to feel uncomfortable giving hugs to people but that has changed over the past year and now I give hugs to people who aren´t unconfortable by it either. As long as no one starts to read more into it than there is,what´s the fuss
  • jen shouse 2010/08/09 20:08:44
    Yes it is acceptable and here's why....
    jen shouse
    +2
    my god its a hug your not boinking the person
  • ▲яэṕĿİḳ... jen shouse 2010/08/09 20:12:38
    ▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲©
    Did you read the question ?

that their spouse does not know, Whilst
    spouse does not know....

So...What do you think and why ?

Did you read into this too much ?
  • jen shouse ▲яэṕĿİḳ... 2010/08/09 20:21:30
    jen shouse
    im a huggy person and to me its not a issue my husband has no issue with it its a hug clothes are on no bodily fluids are exchanged (better not be).. its just natural
  • ▲яэṕĿİḳ... jen shouse 2010/08/09 20:47:11
    ▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲©
    o.k...I'm a huggy person as well...and I agree...but for a married person to hug with people of the opposite sex and their spouse DOESN"T know the person ?

I just don't think that's appropriate is all.
  • Soldier4Christ82 2010/08/09 18:14:23
    Yes it is acceptable and here's why....
    Soldier4Christ82
    It's acceptible when there is a mutual understanding between the two hugging that there is nothing sexual behind it; if there is any sort of doubt then it is inappropriate. If hugging were inherently sexual then it would be wrong for parents to hug their children, but it's not; it depends on the situation, the person, and how close you are.
  • ▲яэṕĿİḳ... Soldier... 2010/08/09 18:23:31
    ▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲©
    thank you, again, the spouse does not know the person being hugged by their
    husband/wife.
  • Soldier... ▲яэṕĿİḳ... 2010/08/09 18:47:59
    Soldier4Christ82
    +1
    But the spouse should trust his/her husband/wife unless there's reason not to.
  • ▲яэṕĿİḳ... Soldier... 2010/08/09 20:19:57
    ▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲©
    it's not a question of trust really...would you feel comfortable if your spouse was
    hugging a bunch of guys that you don't know ? Hey, guys can take a simple little thing like a hug the wrong way...can you agree with that ?

This is about my wifes friend, her husband hugs up on all the women at his work, she doesn't know any of the women, he thinks it's harmless, but she
    thinks it's disrespectfull...my wife and I agree with her.
  • Soldier... ▲яэṕĿİḳ... 2010/08/09 20:32:26
    Soldier4Christ82
    +1
    Like I just said, it requires a mutual understanding between the two hugging that there's nothing sexual behind it, If the women he's hugging have a problem with it and just feel uncomfortable speaking up , or don't know that it isn't just friendly hugging (assuming that it isn't) then it's obviously wrong, and there's also the issue of it being inappropriate workplace conduct.
  • Informed Voter 2010/08/09 18:12:41
    Yes it is acceptable and here's why....
    Informed Voter
    +1
    Freud said it... "sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar."

A hug is a form of greeting like a handshake (or cultural such as a kiss on the cheek).

The Japanese bow and the depth of that bow is a way to demonstrate the status of those between which the greeting is performed: The lower the bow, the more subordinate in social status that person is.

Where physical contact between strangers is deemed inappropriate in Japanese culture, it's perfectly acceptable in our country.

This would be a prime example of demonstrating "tolerance" for those who don't understand a custom or courtesy of another culture, but it would also need to be an understanding between the couples themselves. Ultimately, it's their decision as to what's acceptable behavior in a greeting.
  • ▲яэṕĿİḳ... Informe... 2010/08/09 18:27:41
    ▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲©
    I think that if a married woman, or man is hugging someone that their spouse does
    not know, it demonstrates somewhat lack of respect for ones spouse ( that's just my opinion. ) I also think that someone hugging someone else of the opposite sex who is married and doesn't know the married persons spouse shows a certain lack of respect.

I would NEVER hug a married female that I did not know the husaband.
  • Informe... ▲яэṕĿİḳ... 2010/08/09 18:53:50
    Informed Voter
    +1
    Once again, it depends upon the relationship that couple has, now doesn't it? If it's a strong relationship, it could handle a little thing... like a hug.
  • ▲яэṕĿİḳ... Informe... 2010/08/09 20:16:03
    ▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲©
    +1
    well...o.k. but you know as well as I know that some people can take something
    as ' harmless ' as a hug and interpret it more than just a hug...which can lead to obsessions etc.. " hey, she's married, I don't know her spouse, so maybe she
    messes around " that sort of thing...I just think not hugging someone that your spouse does not know as not a very safe practice...
  • Informe... ▲яэṕĿİḳ... 2010/08/10 13:08:52
    Informed Voter
    Yes, you're correct... There is a time and place.
    And depending upon the situation, a hug can be misinterpreted.

It still comes down to trust. Do you trust your spouse?
  • ▲яэṕĿİḳ... Informe... 2010/08/10 14:20:38
    ▲яэṕĿİḳдиŦ▲©
    +1
    oh yeah..most definately...but this isn't about my spouse and I, this is
    about my wife's friend Susan ( not her real name ) and her husband ( personally I don't like her husband ) He thinks it's o.k. and no big deal, but my wife and I feel that
    it is inappropriate. I mean if it was him hugging someone that his wife knew,
    like a family friend, then there is nothing wrong with that...I just think by him hugging females that his wife doesn't know is a bit disrespectful...I am sure he'd have a different view if it was her hugging up on guys that he didn't know, in fact..I have no doubt he'd be all up in arms over it.

There is a woman where I work, her and I have been workmates
    for about a decade, my wife knows her, her husband knows me,
    and she's a very emotional person, I am someone that she
    can come to at work and talk to, I am a sounding board for her,
    and she hugs me, and it's nothing more than a supportive hug,
    to help her feel better, again, if I did not know her husband,
    I would never hug her, I think that could lead to problems,
    my wife stands next to me on this issue, she feels the same.

My wife and I agree that John ( not his real name ) should not
    be hugging females that his wife doesn't know, and Susan agrees,
    but John says it's no big deal so I figured...

but John says it's no big deal so I figured I'd post this question
    just to get imput on what others thought...

unfortunely, I think some have misunderstood the question.

2014/11/28 01:43:21