How Well Do You Understand Your Health Insurance Policy?

Related Topics: Health Insurance, confusing
Signing up for insurance can be a pain the neck, but without it you could end up footing a bill you can't afford. Health insurance has taken a prominent spot in politics lately as the government attempts to get basic coverage for more people, but good coverage will never be completely free, and selecting a plan that's understandable and affordable can still be a chore. Let us know your thoughts on insurance with this six-question Quick Poll. We'd love to hear from you!

Brought to you by 2insure4less.

• Brosia 2012/08/05 21:20:10
    Very well
    Brosia
    There is nothing there to understand.
  • twizzler265 2012/07/25 00:18:25
    Not at all
    twizzler265
    I'm a kid. How well am I supposed to understand it?
  • edlie 2012/07/17 06:48:54
    Very well
    edlie
    i wouldn't sign anything i have no full knowledge of.
  • Maiko 2012/07/15 22:34:05
    Very well
    Maiko
    Thankfully our Health insurance, even though expensive, is clear cut and easy to understand.
  • La 2012/07/15 10:28:35
    Very well
    La
    I know which 5 things it covers ;)
  • 4dc 2012/07/15 00:24:00
    Not at all
    4dc
    health insurance? what world do you live in?
  • Marcus Clark 2012/07/14 07:07:02
    Very well
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    Mostly non-existent
  • Boo 2012/07/13 20:35:55
    Somewhat
    Boo
    Kinda-sorta. Unfortunately, coverage can change in between enrollment periods, such as drug coverage moving tier levels, etc. I do not understand why vaccines are not covered unless administered in a doctor's office. That's just stupid, or more likely just a loophole that allows the insurance to deny claims!
  • concerned 2012/07/13 19:05:42
    Somewhat
    concerned
    +2
    But the health insurance companies don't want you to understand them .. that's how they rip us off ...
  • Don Leuty 2012/07/13 18:30:27
    Somewhat
    Don Leuty
    But 0bama keeps jacking with it.
  • ajracestables1 2012/07/13 18:28:48
    Somewhat
    ajracestables1
    I understand well about how they pay less and I pay more, even more so now with the Obamacare.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/07/13 14:38:24
    Very well
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    Same insurance for 12 years....I'm a pro. lol
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/13 13:59:50
    Not very well
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    Not as well as I should have
  • dale.wheatley2 2012/07/13 07:29:04
    Somewhat
    dale.wheatley2
    i have a medicare
  • beach bum 2012/07/13 07:26:36
    Very well
    beach bum
    +2
    very well
  • Flyingbug 2012/07/13 05:37:04
    Not very well
    Flyingbug
    +2
    Hard getting around the legalese....
  • gynger.fyer 2012/07/13 02:37:36
    Somewhat
    gynger.fyer
    +2
    I work in HR and I used to deal directly with my companies benefits and although I have a working knowledge of the plans, there are still gray areas for me.
  • daniel wayne 2012/07/12 23:44:57
    Not at all
    daniel wayne
    +2
    i do not understand how it is that the doctor's office contacts the insurance company, the company rep says a procedure is covered and gives the office manager the code, procedure is done, then the insurance company (aetna) denies the claim. they say that procedure was never covered, but they knew the patient needed it and wouldnt have gone ahead with it if they had said the procedure wasnt covered.!!!!
  • belikebunce 2012/07/12 22:26:07
    Very well
    belikebunce
    +2
    Right now, no policy means, I sign the bottom of the sheet, and I pay the $$$ amount right above my signature.
  • SteveB 2012/07/12 20:30:33
    Somewhat
    SteveB
    +2
    it is kinda tough to go through all the crap
  • YOMOMMA 2012/07/12 20:26:51
    Not at all
    YOMOMMA
    +1
    ain't got none
  • El Prez 2012/07/12 17:33:08
    Very well
    El Prez
    I have a full coverage PPO
  • waterlady 2012/07/12 16:59:26
    Not very well
    waterlady
    +1
    I know it doesn't cover much and it has high coe pays.
  • Fashionable60s 2012/07/12 16:41:36
    Very well
    Fashionable60s
    Always knew the deductible, what would be the amount of out of pocket expenses, what are covered, how long and how many sessions a treatment would be covered, what is the network negotiable rates under PPO, etc., etc. No surprises when I see my network or out of network doctors.
  • Zoomie 2012/07/12 16:24:37
    Very well
    Zoomie
    +1
    But then, I worked for a major health insurance company for 20 years and was required to read (and comprehend) various insurance contracts when I first started with the firm...
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2012/07/12 15:33:06
    Very well
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +2
    If you pay for something, you better understand what you are getting
  • polkastria 2012/07/12 15:27:58
    Somewhat
    polkastria
    +1
    I try to follow it but it changes every year or the company changes providers.. makes it difficult to kept everything straight.
  • ☆FritzW☆ 2012/07/12 15:16:13
    Very well
    ☆FritzW☆
    +2
    I have health problems and am permanently disabled. I make it a point to understand the policy information so I'm not caught by surprise.
  • Kingarthurup 2012/07/12 15:07:33
    Very well
    Kingarthurup
    +2
    I owe it all to 3rd grade "reading and comprehension"
  • mikeeonly 2012/07/12 14:44:00
    Somewhat
    mikeeonly
    +2
    It can be frustrating to deal with health insurance providers because, like cell phone carriers, you get different answers from different representatives, I am eligible for a gym membership through my insurance because I am a rehab patient. The insurance co. told me where to go, a place which I already belonged to, and they claim at the gym that they know nothing about it. Granted it's only 30 a month, but you have to spend hours on the phone sometimes to clear up an issue, and never speaking with the same person twice.
  • Bakool 2012/07/12 14:18:29
    Very well
    Bakool
    +1
    I always read all my options and buy the best insurance I can afford. I did get a letter from my job saying that because of obamacare the cost of insurance has increased 28% and that the company is going to eat that 28% for as long as it can. "Big evil corporation" paying the extra 28% so that poor little working class me doesn't have to, hmm. Doesn't sound correct to me.
  • Zoomie Bakool 2012/07/12 16:29:42
    Zoomie
    +1
    It's not correct...in fact, within the next 2-3 years the ACA should reduce the cost of health insurance by at least $1,000 per year. Currently, an estimated $1,700 per year in the cost of the average health insurance premium is entirely due to the cost of covering those without health insurance. Once all Americans have insurance (or pay a regulatory penalty for not having it), insurance companies should reduce the cost somewhat (not saying they will, but they should).

Once the ACA passed, and since it was a gradual phase-in vs immediate implementation, insurance firms frequently used it as an excuse to make larger than necessary premium increases as a hedge against future requirements they justify all increases. I know this for a fact, as I saw it (and heard it explained thusly) at the insurance firm I worked at.
  • Katherine Zoomie 2012/07/17 01:34:15
    Katherine
    Everyone's insurance has gone up about 30%. If I recall, ObamaCare was estimated to cost around $900 billion and now it's up to about $2 trillion and going. In addition, taking away from the elderly at a cost of $500 billion.
  • Zoomie Katherine 2012/07/17 06:58:56 (edited)
    Zoomie
    Wrong again...

The $500 billion is a reduction in Medicare Advantage, which is a GOP program that the GOP put in place, and which is a total waste of taxpayer money. It was a GOP experiment in partial privatization, but the only way they could get a single healthcare provider to even participate was to promise them Medicare rates plus 30%! Here is how non-partisan factchecker Politifact described this one:

"The claim? The law "will cut $500 billion from Medicare" and "hurt the quality" of care for seniors.

PolitiFact National found the law does not take $500 billion out of the current Medicare budget, but reduces the growth of Medicare spending by just over $500 billion over 10 years.

In rating the claim Mostly False, our colleagues noted that the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office projects Medicare spending will rise to $929 billion in 2020, an increase of $430 million over actual spending in 2009.

So, Medicare spending continues to increase, but not by as much as it would have without the reform law."

As to the myth the bill is $2 trillion, twice what was claimed...Per Politifact, that got a "False" rating (meaning, flat out lie by conservatives).
    The ad, running in FL against Democrats by GOP group American Commitment says:
    "Fact: Bill Nelson was the deciding vote. The bill...

Wrong again...

"Fact: Bill Nelson was the deciding vote. The bill could cost up to $2 trillion, double what we were promised. Nelson’s health care vote imposes the largest tax increase in history on the middle class, cuts $500 billion from Medicare to pay for new government programs, and millions could lose their current coverage. Tell Bill Nelson: Protect Florida patients, repeal the health care law."

What does Politifact say about it?

"Here, we’ll examine the claim that the law "could cost up to $2 trillion, double what we were promised."

We asked American Commitment for evidence for its charges, but we didn’t hear back. Tiny print that flashes by on the screen -- we read it only by pausing the YouTube video -- says the claim is from "Congressional Budget Office Estimate."

Even though American Commitment didn’t respond to our queries, we easily found similar statements about the health care law costing up to $2 trillion.

" Though the claim is repeated often, it’s not accurate...Actually, only part of the health care law -- the gross costs -- could cost up to $1.76 trillion. That’s only a slight increase from what was originally promised -- not close to double.

The number also doesn’t account for the portions of the law that pay for that spending, both new taxes and cost reductions.

The ad’s source -- the Congressional Budget Office -- specifically rebutted the charge that the costs had doubled, and they issued that rebuttal months ago. The CBO said that its latest estimates "are quite similar to the estimates we released when the legislation was being considered in March 2010.""

So its not $2 trillion, its $1.76 trillion. And that's very close to the project total cost over 10 years when the law was originally proposed. And that's BEFORE accounting for revenue and cost reductions,which will lower the final net cost considerably.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/12 12:34:57
    Very well
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Well enough to know that because of obaaaamacare our health insurance premium went up.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/07/12 10:32:09
    Very well
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    We have universal health care here. No need to pay the "Health" insurance mafia.
  • Torchma... JCD aka... 2012/07/12 12:36:35
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The greedy obaaaama regime mafia just took over our private health care industry.
  • Zoomie Torchma... 2012/07/12 16:30:40
    Zoomie
    +2
    If they were taking over the private health care industry, it would be nationalized and socialized...

Curiously, neither has or is going to happen. Hence, your claim is wrong on its face...
  • Katherine 2012/07/12 08:04:58
    Very well
    Katherine
    +2
    I purposely don't have insurance because the costs are much lower.
  • Zoomie Katherine 2012/07/12 16:31:04
    Zoomie
    +2
    Until you need it...

2014/11/27 19:46:38