How stupid do you have to be to want to own a rattlesnake as a pet?

the Supreme 2012/05/14 07:44:30
My brother has a friend who captured a baby rattle snake in his yard and its legal to do in california...I guess congress doesnt care about ppl that are stupid enough to welcome a poisonous snake in their house; anyways out of all the beautiful non venomous snakes there are why would anyone want a pet rattle snake?

please if you think its a good idea please leave a reason why...Im not gonna tell him how to live his life but its just so stupid to me to want one of those in your house and not evenremove the venom from it

• pretty stupid
    Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥
    +5
    I don't think that's a smart idea. I grew up around snakes, my brother use to keep them as pets. None of then were poisonous, and I'm glad, because I got bitten a few times. It was fun feeding them though ;D...

• YourCompanionCube 2012/09/20 15:06:17
    pretty stupid
    YourCompanionCube
    +1
    I have a ball python, Garter snake, and Corn Snake. I'm a snake lover, but I would NEVER let a Rattler, Taipan, Mamba, or cobra in my home. Heck, I wouldn't let a copperhead or Burmese python in. :D I always wanted a reticulated python, but then I think "What would I feed it? A pig? That's costly".
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/09/10 18:44:25
  • TheDeadAreLiving 2012/05/18 00:43:17
    totally badass
    TheDeadAreLiving
    I like snakes. I wouldn't have a rattlesnake, but ay, whatever makes you happy
    rattle snakes
  • Dickens 2012/05/15 06:12:33
    pretty stupid
    Dickens
    +1
    ..well, I'll settle for "pretty stupid" since there was no "really stupid" choice...
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/05/15 04:07:59
    totally badass
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    you just need to know how to stay safe around it. My neighbor is a herpetologist and owns one Named Steve and I own a bunch of snakes but Honestly Rattle snakes scare me....
  • the Sup... ♫♪‼Chlo... 2012/05/15 17:22:14
    the Supreme
    +1
    all poisonous snakes scare me i once found a garter snake thought it was cute wanted to keep it but didnt know what i needed so i released it to the wild
  • reaper 2012/05/15 02:32:33
    pretty stupid
    reaper
    +1
    but i would also suggest having the venom glands taken out. like what you can do with skunks, you can take out the glands that make that really bad smell they spray on you.
  • Dickens reaper 2012/05/15 06:21:19
    Dickens
    ..I sort of have a pet skunk (it's a wild skunk that likes my kitty and comes inside every night with the cat) and I would NEVER remove the scent glands; skunks are helpless without them, I know for a fact that skunks have ABSOLUTELY NO ODOR unless they get upset, and they don't get scared very easily (oh, and it's illegal in all 50 states to de-scent a skunk..)
  • Texas Gal 2012/05/15 00:19:42
    pretty stupid
    Texas Gal
    Snakes creep me out - big time. I don't care if it's a grass snake -- I don't like snakes.
  • Vitalani 2012/05/14 16:16:58
    totally badass
    Vitalani
    Neither. People shouldn't keep wild animals as pets. It's wrong. But it's not quite stupid... Not like he's gonna be handling it and people keep rattlesnakes all the time.
  • the Sup... Vitalani 2012/05/14 17:42:46
    the Supreme
    but the snake can get out
  • Vitalani the Sup... 2012/05/14 17:45:00
    Vitalani
    Does he not have a proper cage?
  • the Sup... Vitalani 2012/05/14 17:58:04
    the Supreme
    a glass fish tank that can easily tip over and shatter
  • Vitalani the Sup... 2012/05/14 18:02:59
    Vitalani
    That sounds like a perfectly acceptable reptile cage...lol. As long as the top is secure it should be fine. However I hope he has considerable knowledge about how to keep snakes....Temperature, moisture, and diet are big when it comes to owning reptiles.
  • the Sup... Vitalani 2012/05/14 18:08:45
    the Supreme
    yeah he really hasnt thought about how to keep it he just has the cage and throws mice in there... I really am not an expert on rattlesnakes thats why i asked this question i really to see if im the only one who thinks owning a poisonous snake is a bad idea but i should of said unless you are a trained profesional
  • Vitalani the Sup... 2012/05/14 18:16:55
    Vitalani
    He really needs to do some research. You need more than a cage and mice to keep a snake happy.

Large aquarium
    35 galon tank

Shiftbox
    http://ars.sciencedirect.com/...

Aquarium thermometer
    (Climate should be in the 90's on one end of the enclosure and around 75 on the other with humidity at about 35%-50%)
    aquarium thermometer

Heat rock or lamp
    heat rock

Reptile pool
    reptile pool

Etc....It isn't exactly cheap.
  • the Sup... Vitalani 2012/05/14 18:21:42
    the Supreme
    ive seen that all at pet stores all he'd have to do is go to a pet store he has a waterbowl a bush and a glass tank
  • Vitalani the Sup... 2012/05/14 18:23:23
    Vitalani
    Personally, I think he should let it go.lol
  • the Sup... Vitalani 2012/05/14 18:29:04
    the Supreme
    +1
    me too, im not his mother so im not gonna make him, maybe he can learn how to handle it which would be good i hope this question wasnt offensive to trained professionals
  • L1 2012/05/14 15:33:29
    pretty stupid
    L1
    +1
    As dumb as Siegfried and Roy did with their tigers. Wild animals are wild for a reason.
  • D.C.Verdone 2012/05/14 15:28:28
  • Keith 2012/05/14 15:25:13
    pretty stupid
    Keith
    +1
    I would add extremely foolish.
  • rand 2012/05/14 14:50:02
    totally badass
    rand
    Actually if he can learn to handle and milk it for antivenin, he'll make some $$ and do society a favor.
  • the Sup... rand 2012/05/14 17:55:50
    the Supreme
    that would be the smartest thing he can do he should learn how to do that
  • Dave0626 2012/05/14 14:33:24
    pretty stupid
    Dave0626
    +1
    Wonder what his plans are after the snake bites him...hmmm....
    plans snake bites hmmm
  • D.C.Ver... Dave0626 2012/05/14 15:29:04
    D.C.Verdone
    +1
    made me lol.
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2012/05/14 14:21:45
    pretty stupid
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +2
    None of the above.
    I know a guy who owns a few venomous snakes. But he has a license after doing having like a thousand hours of experience first. I wouldn't do it, but at least he takes really good care of his and knows what he's doing. When I was in college I had to work with venomous snakes as part of the zoo program I was in...not something I would have done if I'd had a choice in the matter. Everyone has different interests.

In California? Really?! Where the DOMESTIC ferret is illegal?! Am I the only one who thinks this is screwed up and backwards?
  • the Sup... fairief... 2012/05/14 17:51:35
    the Supreme
    +1
    but im sure you had training and equiptment to where the snake couldnt bite you thats the difference between this kid he sleeps in a trailor and keeps the snake across his bed in a glass fish tank its not impossible to shatter

yeah isnt that california law the damndest thing?
  • fairief... the Sup... 2012/05/14 18:28:03
    Yeah, there is no way in hell anyone could get me to work with them without the safety stuff. I think everyone should be required to have some kind of license and safety training to keep animals like that. Especially people who have kids or other pets. People just don't think these days.

California *shakes head*
    Used to live out there and loved it...but there laws are crazy.
  • the Sup... fairief... 2012/05/14 19:00:08
    the Supreme
    +1
    I agree maybe thats how i should have phrased the question

I know i guess the california law makers assume nobodys stupid enough to own them without training lol jk i live out at the central coast the san luis obisbo area my favorite part of ca is santa barbara im always planning roadtrips down there
  • fairief... the Sup... 2012/05/14 19:08:49
    Yeah...assuming people aren't stupid is usually a big mistake...
    I used to live in San Diego. Loved it. Want to eventually move back out West but don't know if I will move back to CA or not b/c I really want a ferret.
  • the Sup... fairief... 2012/05/14 19:45:24
    the Supreme
    +1
    i had a friend in high school who drove all the way to nevada to get one and kept it a secret, I used to road trip down to san diego all the time i had an uncle who lived there... Im going down this summer i might see a guy who i had a kinda mild flirtation with back in the day hes not the reason im going down but you never know something might happen *cross my fingers*
  • fairief... the Sup... 2012/05/14 20:29:02
    I really want to work in the animal business (preferably a wildlife sanctuary or something) so I don't want to get caught with something I'm not supposed to have and have it end up on my record. Otherwise I would totally do like your friend did...
    Good luck with the guy :)
  • the Sup... fairief... 2012/05/14 21:59:29
    the Supreme
    +1
    thanks theres still more to see in san diego but that would be cool... i qonder where the best shopping streets in sd are i was only 12 when i was last there and that was to help my uncle move... i love the idea of working with wildlife preferably marine animals i think orcas are the one of the mmost amazing animals on this planet I've always wanted to see them in the wild thats something i dream about all the time
  • fairief... the Sup... 2012/05/14 22:08:53
    I actually haven't been there since I was 10. Want to at least go back to visit someday.
    I've always preferred land animals, but my bro went through a phase when he was younger where he wanted to work with marine animals. It's an even tougher field to get into than working with land animals, but if you get some education in it and try to volunteer or something for experience it should help get your foot in the door.
    When I was in school for Zoology there were a few people in the program who had worked for Sea World. They all seemed to love it :)
  • the Sup... fairief... 2012/05/14 22:26:41
    the Supreme
    +1
    oh that would be too hard for me im a glass artist so i know this is what i want to do i just want to see orcas swim in the ocean i find seaworld to be a sad place for an orca to be:(
  • fairief... the Sup... 2012/05/14 22:37:07
    Glass artist sounds cool.
    Would be cool to get close to orcas.
    I know Sea World gets a bad rap from some people, but they actually do a lot for conservation. And take really good care of the animals.
  • the Sup... fairief... 2012/05/14 23:33:40
    the Supreme
    do they save the animals from the wild that are like damaged by fishermen and stuff like that?
  • fairief... the Sup... 2012/05/15 00:23:37
    I can't remember how exactly they obtain the animals...but they don't just go out to the ocean and grab random animals. I believe some are injured/unable to live in the wild. Others from a species survival plan or something similar I'd assume.
  • the Sup... fairief... 2012/05/15 19:27:55
    the Supreme
    +1
    thats good to do and i believe they did some of the cleanup when the oil silled in the gulf

2014/10/24 22:52:55