How respectful are U toward "Single Parents"?

jt 2012/04/11 17:42:40

Are single parents equally respectable to the society? Pls discuss and share... thanks..

jt

Very respectful...
    As a Single Parent myself .. I'm very respectful indeed ..
    It is tough going .. and those who do it faithfully are terribly underappreciated by society.
  • RJS 2012/04/15 02:22:56
    Very respectful...
    RJS
    +1
    With the exception of the extremely rare teenager that intentionally got pregnant because babies are cute.
  • Black_Rose 2012/04/13 19:08:49
    Very respectful...
    Black_Rose
    +2
    I treat everyone with respect.
    My mother had me when she was 20 and raised me as a single parent. My grandparents, aunt, and uncle helped out a lot too. But while I was growing up my mom worked 2 jobs, and went to college to get her degree in exercise science. She got a lot of crap from people for being a single mother , but she always ignored it, and treated everyone respectfully. She told me to treat everyone the way I want to be treated, and that's with respect. I think she did a good job raising me on her own, but that's just my opinion.
  • Rogue_Loner 2012/04/12 21:17:32
  • **Bessie** 2012/04/12 16:14:49
    Very respectful...
    **Bessie**
    +2
    As respectful as I am to anyone who deserves respect. Duh! :)
  • Mr.Steve 2012/04/12 13:14:38
  • bricklyn Mr.Steve 2012/04/13 05:47:11
    bricklyn
    +2
    I guess that would make couple being parents equally zero.
  • Jerry 2012/04/12 13:07:51
    Very respectful...
    Jerry
    +2
    In our society we are expected to take everything at face value and not judge. Some people end up in difficult situations through bad luck and others through bad choices. I have total respect for anyone who selflessly struggles to raise their children well. My children had the benefit of a father and a mother who loved them unconditionally and used teamwork as well a unique perspectives and experience to give them every advantage possible. That takes nothing away from a dedicated single parent.
  • Anna 2012/04/12 05:28:54
    Anna
    +2
    Are they a good parent? Single, married, 10 parents, the amount doesn't matter so long as the child has support and love.
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/04/12 02:48:15
    Very respectful...
    TheMadChameleon
    +3
    I can hardly imagine raising a child with the help of a partner. Raising a kid on your own--wow.
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/04/12 01:49:35 (edited)
    Very respectful...
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +4

Benjamin Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan. His mother Sonya had dropped out of school in the third grade, and married when she was only 13. When Benjamin Carson was only eight, his parents divorced, and Mrs. Carson was left to raise Benjamin and his older brother Curtis on her own. She worked at two, sometimes three, jobs at a time to provide for her boys. Benjamin and his brother fell farther and farther behind in school. In fifth grade, Carson was at the bottom of his class. His classmates called him "dummy" and he developed a violent, uncontrollable temper. When Mrs. Carson saw Benjamin's failing grades, she determined to turn her sons' lives around. She sharply limited the boys' television watching and refused to let them outside to play until they had finished their homework each day. She required them to read two library books a week and to give her written reports on their reading even though, with her own poor education, she could barely read what they had written. Within a few weeks, Carson astonished his classmates by identifying rock samples his teacher had brought to class. He recognized them from one of the books he had read. "It was at that moment that I realized I wasn't stupid," he recalled later. Carson continued to amaze his classmates w...

Benjamin Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan. His mother Sonya had dropped out of school in the third grade, and married when she was only 13. When Benjamin Carson was only eight, his parents divorced, and Mrs. Carson was left to raise Benjamin and his older brother Curtis on her own. She worked at two, sometimes three, jobs at a time to provide for her boys.

Benjamin and his brother fell farther and farther behind in school. In fifth grade, Carson was at the bottom of his class. His classmates called him "dummy" and he developed a violent, uncontrollable temper.

Benjamin Carson Biography Photo
    When Mrs. Carson saw Benjamin's failing grades, she determined to turn her sons' lives around. She sharply limited the boys' television watching and refused to let them outside to play until they had finished their homework each day. She required them to read two library books a week and to give her written reports on their reading even though, with her own poor education, she could barely read what they had written.

Within a few weeks, Carson astonished his classmates by identifying rock samples his teacher had brought to class. He recognized them from one of the books he had read. "It was at that moment that I realized I wasn't stupid," he recalled later. Carson continued to amaze his classmates with his newfound knowledge and within a year he was at the top of his class.

The hunger for knowledge had taken hold of him, and he began to read voraciously on all subjects. He determined to become a physician, and he learned to control the violent temper that still threatened his future. After graduating with honors from his high school, he attended Yale University, where he earned a degree in Psychology.

Benjamin Carson Biography Photo
    From Yale, he went to the Medical School of the University of Michigan, where his interest shifted from psychiatry to neurosurgery. His excellent hand-eye coordination and three-dimensional reasoning skills made him a superior surgeon. After medical school he became a neurosurgery resident at the world-famous Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. At age 32, he became the hospital's Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery.

In 1987, Carson made medical history with an operation to separate a pair of Siamese twins. The Binder twins were born joined at the back of the head. Operations to separate twins joined in this way had always failed, resulting in the death of one or both of the infants. Carson agreed to undertake the operation. A 70-member surgical team, led by Dr. Carson, worked for 22 hours. At the end, the twins were successfully separated and can now survive independently.

Carson's other surgical innovations have included the first intra-uterine procedure to relieve pressure on the brain of a hydrocephalic fetal twin, and a hemispherectomy, in which an infant suffering from uncontrollable seizures has half of its brain removed. This stops the seizures, and the remaining half of the brain actually compensates for the missing hemisphere.

Benjamin Carson Biography Photo
    In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Carson is in constant demand as a public speaker, and devotes much of his time to meeting with groups of young people. In 2008, the White House announced that Benjamin Carson would receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

Dr. Carson's books include a memoir, Gifted Hands, and a motivational book, Think Big.Carson says the letters of "Think Big" stand for the following:

http://www.achievement.org/au...

http://www.historyswomen.com/...
  • AM 2012/04/12 01:30:06 (edited)
  • Melizmatic AM 2012/04/12 01:34:22
    Melizmatic
    +3
    That's what they keep telling us, anyway.

"Recent studies say..."
  • AM Melizmatic 2012/04/12 01:39:23 (edited)
  • Melizmatic AM 2012/04/12 01:45:34
    Melizmatic
    +2
    *shrugs

Only men, huh?

Anyhoo...

I know too many people who were abused and victimized in two parent homes to ever say or even infer that being raised in a single parent home is the sole cause.

The issue, IMO, is that many people are always looking for a single, simplistic reason for any given problem; when in reality there are often various contributing factors.
  • AM Melizmatic 2012/04/12 07:57:10
  • Melizmatic AM 2012/04/12 16:07:26
    Melizmatic
    +1
    Having children out of wedlock; oh, the horror!

._.

There are worse things in life... like watching one's mother repeatedly get beaten and abused because she's too afraid to leave.

Or like households where every night is a vertiable screaming match. (I lived next door to a famliy like that once, it was SUCH a delight.)

My contention is the idea that two-parent households are just "automatically" better than single ones due to the mere presence of both parents is highly fallacious.

Quality means more than quantity is this case, and to imply that a single parent is somehow incapable of raising healthy, happy productive offspring is dismissive and unrealistic, IMO.

Not everyone can have the 'ideal' nuclear family with 2.5 kids, a dog and a white picket fence that society tells us is the "norm."
  • AM Melizmatic 2012/04/12 16:46:51
  • Melizmatic AM 2012/04/12 17:22:43
    Melizmatic
    +2
    I think you make some broad assumptions there about what the majority of single parents are capable of offering their kids, but you are entitled to your opinion.

No, not everything in life comes down to worst case scenarios, but neither does it adhere to 'best case' scenarios all the time either.

Personally, I left my child's father while I was 8 months pregnant, because he was emotionally and physically abusive, and eventually someone would have died or gone to jail... and I made the choice that it wasn't going to be me.

So let random, faceless people judge me for it; IDGAF.

That was the best possible choice that I could have made for my child and myself; and I'll never regret it, regardless to any idealistic pipe dreams others may have about what a "real" family is.

That being said, to those who are lucky enough to have that idyllic 'dream family' where everything is all 'Ozzy and Harriet', count your blessings, because life doesn't always work out that way, for many of us.

All each of us can do is do the best that we can.
  • bricklyn AM 2012/04/13 05:52:11
    bricklyn
    +1
    Married parents put their kids through hell as well and many parent who stay together longer then they should are the ones doing the most damage of all. The only thing kids learn in a dysfunctional family environment is how to repeat that pattern.
  • AM bricklyn 2012/04/13 09:19:14
  • bricklyn AM 2012/04/13 05:50:12
    bricklyn
    +1
    The statistics are that girl from religious schools are more likely to have abortions too.
  • bricklyn AM 2012/04/13 05:48:50
    bricklyn
    +1
    the only reason why children of a single parent do not do well is because they are financial deprived. No other factor is more significant that being poor.
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/04/11 23:47:05 (edited)
    Very respectful...
    Mark In Irvine
    +4
    it is difficult to be a parent ... i can't imagine how much harder it must be to be a single parent.
  • S.Lewis 2012/04/11 23:32:35
    Very respectful...
    S.Lewis
    +3
    My children are being raised in a 2 parent household & it is still difficult. I tip my hat to the single parent doing it on his/her own.
  • Get Bashed 2012/04/11 22:50:29
    Very respectful...
    Get Bashed
    +3
    My Sister is a single Mother who just outdoes herself for her three kids, I love her strength and her ability to always keep her chin up. She sends her boys my way for positive male reinforcement, I help all I can in their journey to becoming honourable men. I have to say I am quite proud of My Sister, it has not been easy, but she has clawed her way through a great deal and deserves full respect for her efforts!
  • Rebel Yell 2012/04/11 22:47:40
    Very respectful...
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    There are thousands of single parents... men and women... whose spouses are deployed or who died in the two wars. Married couples lose their spouses to traffic accidents and diseases such as cancer every day . There are divorces where co parenting occurs, but usually one parents assume most of the responsibilities. Yes...there are also dead beat dads and dead beat moms.
    What is most important is the child is in a safe, secure home where he/she is allowed to grow emotionally and intellectually because one person loves that child with his/her heart and soul. Those super moms and super dads are fantastic and then some. My hat is off to you.
  • Jan Haskell 2012/04/11 22:28:50
    Very respectful...
    Jan Haskell
    +2
    I'm one myself ... didn't expect my husband to pass away so young.
  • Tresa 2012/04/11 21:21:05
    Very respectful...
    Tresa
    +4
    Being a good parent is all that matters.
  • CaptnSassy 2012/04/11 21:09:58
    Very respectful...
    CaptnSassy
    +2
    How can you tell if someone is a single parent? It could be that dad took the kid out today. Or that she took the day off to spend in the park with the kids.
    Lots of ppl don't wear wedding bands anymore.
    So, how do you tell if it's a married person or not a married person?
    you can't.
    Give respect until not doing so is proven warranted.
  • Will Advocate of PHAET 2012/04/11 20:40:16
    Very respectful...
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +4
    As long as they are responsible to their family.
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2012/04/11 20:33:46
    Very respectful...
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +5
    I am very respectful.... I am a single parent. I know what's it like.
  • Rogue_L... Treasur... 2012/04/12 21:56:37
  • Treasur... Rogue_L... 2012/04/12 23:27:34
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +3
    Thanks so very much! That was very kind! ;)
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/04/11 20:18:03
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +3
    If they are a good parent and work hard for their child/ren then I respect them. If they're a benefit whore and abuse their kids and get drunk, they don't deserve to live.
  • Just Another Girl (5) 2012/04/11 20:00:55
    Just Another Girl (5)
    +1
    I only picked Undecided because someone's marital status is none of my business. If I see people being disrespectful to their kids, or other people around them. Or sitting around letting taxpayers pay for and support their kids. I have no respect for them. If people treat their kids and other people properly, work hard and support themselves. I have alot of respect for them.
  • cherryphi 2012/04/11 19:46:05
    Very respectful...
    cherryphi
    +3
    Same as any other parent. My mother was a single parent for a long time.
  • hari 2012/04/11 19:39:34
    Very respectful...
    hari
    +2
    very respectful even by couples ....... my friends
  • Bronar 2012/04/11 19:02:10
    Very respectful...
    Bronar
    +2
    Same as I am to anyone else.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/04/11 18:57:12
    Very respectful...
    **StarzAbove**
    +7
    I treat them just like I do everyone else, with respect.

2014/09/01 04:46:39