How Much Money Do You Typically Spend on a Gift for Valentine's Day?

Valentine's Day is right around the corner, and we all know what that means. Time to share your thoughts on the day of love with our special Valentine's Day Quick Poll!

And after that, prepare to swoon your lover, of course. You know, flowers, chocolate, all that good stuff. Valentine's Day started out as a holiday to honor Christian martyr Saint Valentine but it has gradually evolved into a day dedicated to showing affection to your own loved ones -- particularly of the romantic persuasion. Got special plans for the big day? Share your thoughts on the most anticipated holiday for lovebirds and romantics alike!

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/valentines...

• hari 2012/02/08 22:08:19
    $100-$500
    hari
    depends on other expenditure
  • Tennessee3501 2012/02/08 22:03:15
    $100-$500
    Tennessee3501
    The cost of a romantic night out on the town!
  • smitty 2012/02/08 22:00:33
    $100-$500
    smitty
    Usually it is under 150... Not sure how much she spends. I usually get a shirt or some ice cream.

This year I had a coupon so I got it all for 101.87.

Roses Vase and a few balloons. I love traditions.
  • Calla Tor 2012/02/08 21:20:54
  • XCloudPandaX 2012/02/08 21:16:48
  • Get Bashed 2012/02/08 21:09:10
    $1-$50
    Get Bashed
    +1
    My Wife and I keep it very modest....what matters is our finances for our children's future, as opposed to extravagant gifts! $25 tops.
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2012/02/08 20:59:53
    $1,000+
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Depends on the year. The last few years we took a trip to Mexico for Valentines Day, this year hubby bought me a car. Before the Mexico tradition was started however, we spent a couple hundred bucks on dinner and whatever we decided to do.
  • 2226693 2012/02/08 20:35:41
  • Heat Her 2012/02/08 20:31:31
    $1-$50
    Heat Her
    whatever it costs at the art supply store to pick up "make your own gift from the heart" supplies
  • ID51 2012/02/08 20:23:35
    $1-$50
    ID51
    As long as the special people in my life are remembered, it does not have to be pricey.
  • angel face 2012/02/08 20:18:15
    $1-$50
    angel face
    last year my boyfriend spent almost 300 on just a teddy bear
  • mm61675 2012/02/08 19:48:34
    $1-$50
    mm61675
    It is a long distance relationship atm, so I am sending him a CD of songs, a love letter and his favorite candy and we plan to watch a movie together that night :)
  • Liberty Blade 2012/02/08 19:40:31
    $0
    Liberty Blade
    +1
    I don't celebrate Valentines Day. It contradicts my religion... Christianity.
  • 2226693 Liberty... 2012/02/08 20:36:34
  • Liberty... 2226693 2012/02/09 00:00:11
    Liberty Blade
    Although the verses in Matthew chapter 16 do not give us the beginning of the first church, they do give us an exact prediction of its origin, including the following:

This church was not yet built at the time Jesus was speaking (vs. 18).

This church would be built by Christ, Who would also be its foundation (vs. 18).

This church would belong to Christ (vs. 18).

This church would be built on the confession that Jesus is Christ (vss. 16,18).

Peter would open (symbolically) the doors of this church (vs. 19).

So then, when did these things happen, and when did the first church come into existence? Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them (Acts 2:41). This verse, recorded by Luke, tells us the result of the sermon Peter and the other apostles preached on Pentecost. The Bible notes that the apostles had stayed in Jerusalem after Jesus’ ascension, waiting for the promise of the Father (i.e., the arrival of the Holy Spirit; cf. Acts 1:4,12; 2:1). When the Holy Spirit was sent, the apostles began to speak in different languages (Acts 2:4-11). Many people believed, but there were also some who mocked (Acts 2:13). Then, Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and preached to those who were l...

So then, when did these things happen, and when did the first church come into existence? Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them (Acts 2:41). This verse, recorded by Luke, tells us the result of the sermon Peter and the other apostles preached on Pentecost. The Bible notes that the apostles had stayed in Jerusalem after Jesus’ ascension, waiting for the promise of the Father (i.e., the arrival of the Holy Spirit; cf. Acts 1:4,12; 2:1). When the Holy Spirit was sent, the apostles began to speak in different languages (Acts 2:4-11). Many people believed, but there were also some who mocked (Acts 2:13). Then, Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and preached to those who were listening to him (Acts 2:14). After showing convincing evidence of the Messianic veracity of Jesus, Peter declared, “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36, emp. added). Luke’s account takes our minds back to the words of Jesus. Jesus had predicted that Peter would open the doors of the church, and that the church would be built on his confession (Matthew 16:16-18). In Acts 2:36, Peter not only opened the doors of Christianity, but he also confessed once more that Jesus was the Lord and the Christ (i.e., the rock on which the church would be built). Therefore, it was on this exact day that the words of Jesus were fulfilled. Acts 2:41 indicates that those who believed “were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them.” The question then becomes, “To what were the people who believed and were baptized added?” Verse 47 gives us the answer: “the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.” [NOTE: The ASV omits the word “church” and notes “them,” but the idea is the same. Concerning this rendering, Boles stated that the meaning is that those who were baptized, “were by this process added together, and thus formed the church”. This is the first biblical text that speaks of the church as being in existence; it is at this exact moment in Scripture that the presence of the first church is noted. Peter had opened the doors of the church through the preaching of the Word. He had confessed once more the deity of Jesus. And the Lord had added to His church the people who obeyed.
    Which church, then, is the oldest church? The answer is, of course, the church that Christ built in Acts 2. But what church was this? Was this the beginning of the Catholic Church (as Catholicism teaches)? Note that Christ said He was going to build His church (Matthew 16:18), not the Catholic Church. Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of Christ greet you (Romans 16:16, emp. added). Although there were various congregations that praised God in many parts of the world when the apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Romans, there was still a unique characteristic about them: all of them belonged to Christ (i.e., they were churches of Christ), for Christ said that He would build His church. Therefore, all of them honorably bore the name of their Founder—Christ. Acts 2 informs us that the church of Christ was established in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost (c. A.D. 30). It had a unique foundation, Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 3:11). Christ, not Peter, was the cornerstone of the church (cf. 1 Peter 2:4-8). The church was comprised of a group of believers who took the title “Christians” (not “Catholics”) by divine authority (Acts 11:26; cf. Isaiah 62:2). They made up the only body of Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23; 4:4). The church also was considered the bride of Christ (2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:24; Revelation 19:7). Christ was its authority and its Head (Colossians 1:18); it had no earthly head. In its organization, human names and divisions were condemned (1 Corinthians 1:10-13). This was the wonderful, divine institution that God established on Earth—the church of His Son, the church of Christ.

For more information, visit http://apologeticspress.org/d...
  • 2226693 Liberty... 2012/02/09 00:13:59
  • Liberty... 2226693 2012/02/09 00:43:34
    Liberty Blade
    First of all, you started the argument, secondly Scripture comes from the Bible. Most religious people get their religious information the Bible. Thirdly, the Bible is the only Book I use as my guide.
  • 2226693 Liberty... 2012/02/09 01:45:26
  • Liberty... 2226693 2012/02/09 04:29:30
    Liberty Blade
    Actually, the Bible says to obey the laws of the land AKA, obey the DMV handbook. (Romans 13:1)
  • 2226693 Liberty... 2012/02/09 13:18:59
  • Kevin1111 Liberty... 2012/02/09 04:20:32
    Kevin1111
    I'm not sure why we are talking about this here, but I'll bite.

First, according to biblical scholarship (which is taught in every seminary), the gospels were not written until at least 40 years after these events occurred and it probably was a lot longer than that. So at this time there really was a Christian church as we would use that term.

Second, when the word "church" is used in the New Testament it seems to mean the people, the followers of Yeshua, and not any formal organization.

Third, the first organized Christian church under a single leadership was the Jewish Christian church in Jerusalem headed at first by Peter and then by Yeshua's brother James. They sent out apostles who founded churches in many countries. All these churches looked to the Church in Jerusalem for leadership and support. This original Christian "denomination" survived for over a thousand years and was familiar to Mohammed, who founded Islam.

After Paul's "conversion" he went to study with Peter and at first he accepted Peter's leadership and authority. But Paul's doctrine, theology, his ideas and philosophies began to drift away from Peter and James', causing conflict between them. Eventually Peter and James came to call him "the enemy" and "the liar," terms previously used to mean Satan.

Paul ...

Paul traveled extensively, preaching his own version of Christianity, and began to found churches based on these principles that were at odds with the original Christian church of Peter and James. Paul's heretical church is what became the Catholic Church, and then the Protestant Church.
  • Liberty... Kevin1111 2012/02/09 04:26:27
    Liberty Blade
    +1
    Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed article back. I may still be in disagreement, but I appreciate the fact that your not just ranting.
  • Gino™ 2012/02/08 19:20:01
    $0
    Gino™
    Valentine's Day is a sham.
  • American Nate 2012/02/08 18:56:33
    $0
    American Nate
    +1
    the best idea is to break up with her right before valentines then get right back together with her after valentines
  • 2226693 America... 2012/02/08 20:36:51
  • Boo 2012/02/08 18:22:30
    $1-$50
    Boo
    +2
    V Day gifts do not need to be expensive. It's the thought that counts. A small token of your appreciation for your significant other. This year I'm spending on groceries for a great dinner at home because it fits the budget better! But I have purchased nice steaks & lobster tails (while both were on sale) & have them stashed in the freezer for the occasion. I'll get a bottle (or maybe 2) of wine, or maybe even champaign. It will be a candle light dinner. I discovered years ago that we can have just as good a meal at home as we can at most restaurants, and enjoy it more because it doesn't cost so much.
  • Cathy 2012/02/08 17:36:14
    $50-$100
    Cathy
    About $100.00 which include the cards, candy, flowers and dinner out!
  • silentart 2012/02/08 17:16:25
    $1-$50
    silentart
    Why do we need to spend so much? Wife and I just acknowledge our loves for each other with good eye contact and good communication... Plus sweets to share together...
  • George-2 2012/02/08 16:44:29
    $0
    George-2
    As much as a heartfelt hug.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/02/08 16:36:31
    $500-$1,000
    Margaret Jacobson
    +1
    Ehatever I have "leftover after xmas shopping.....
  • America... Margare... 2012/02/08 18:58:07
    American Nate
    lol
  • Lucy Sparkles :3 2012/02/08 16:25:42
    $500-$1,000
    Lucy Sparkles :3
    last year, by the time the night was over, my girlfriend and i spent over $700 on valentines day. it was amazing. a night to remember, for sure.
  • theprothinker 2012/02/08 15:02:19
    $0
    theprothinker
    Giving a token of love on a day when you're expected to give a token of love is not genuine. Besides, flowers, cards, etc. are all extremely expensive compared to other times of the year. My spouse says, "Get me flowers sometime when I don't expect it!"
  • merlinskiss 2012/02/08 14:54:04
    $0
    merlinskiss
    +1
    We don't spend anything. Waste of time and money.
  • thetacat 2012/02/08 13:59:02
    $1-$50
    thetacat
    Not too much :) I like sending Valentines and stuff, but I think birthdays and anniversaries are more important.
  • mariner 2012/02/08 09:06:26
    $0
    mariner
    +1
    an absolute big fat round zero - zilch - FA. Those of you who spend $1000+ are being ripped off as prices double around valentine's day!!! Mean of me or wot!!!!???
  • Peewee ~PWCM~ 2012/02/08 03:43:34
    $1-$50
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +2
    We usually just get a card and go to the restaurant he proposed to me at, or the bar he picked me up in :-) Sometimes I get flowers.
  • Kyle 2012/02/08 03:33:17
    $0
    Kyle
    +1
    i dont do valentines day
  • Erin Innocent 2012/02/08 03:30:25
    $0
    Erin Innocent
    +4
    i try not to spend. i try to create. but i end up spending like 20$ though......
  • Peewee ... Erin In... 2012/02/08 03:44:06
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +3
    Those are the best gifts.

2014/10/23 16:00:38