How long should a single person wait to ask out a widow/widower following the death of their spouse?

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/03/21 22:10:43
Related Topics: Single, Years, Death, Style
Right away like Right after the Funeral
1-6 months
6- months to a year
1-2 years
Other

person wait widowwidower death spouse

• Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2011/03/22 10:30:25
    Other
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    Everyone grieves differently. It should depend on the person.
  • captkirk999 2011/03/22 09:08:49
    Other
    captkirk999
    +1
    That is tough to say. Better to be a good friend and wait until the widower or widow asks you out.
  • Minarchist 2011/03/22 08:25:57
    Other
    Minarchist
    6 weeks after the funeral
  • darwolf 2011/03/22 07:50:25
    Other
    darwolf
    Depends if i hated the guy that died.
  • Mesila 2011/03/22 06:50:36
    Other
    Mesila
    It totally depends on the situation - how attached the widow/er was to the deceased, how much warmth/invitingness s/he is projecting to said single person. There's no meaningful etiquette rule on a thing like this.
  • lady blue 2011/03/22 06:25:01
    Other
    lady blue
    Grieving knows no time frame. It is a very painful passage to go through but eventually
    one needs to let the loved one go. One must go on with the living. Everyone deserves to be happy for whatever time we have on this earth. God wants us to be happy. He takes care of the departed. When one's heart is open to love again, they will know it.
  • Jrogers 2011/03/22 05:49:01
    1-2 years
    Jrogers
    Chances are they will say no if asked out before a year is up
    Other
    I have been throught his with lots of people and it is really up to the individual. If they are relieved because of a prolonged illness and have rested on the support of a loving person--maybe quick! It all depends on the person and circumstances--to many variables to state anything conclusively!
  • Riobhca 2011/03/22 05:07:06 (edited)
    Other
    Riobhca
    It really depends on the person. Some people wait a year or so for religious reasons. Others wait a long time so that they can work through their grief. But others want to get into another relationship pretty soon. And if it works for those involved, then no one should judge that. For some people, it helps them to get on with their life.
  • OzSin 2011/03/22 04:49:43
    6- months to a year
    OzSin
    Good question!

we recently had a celeb down here cop alot of flak for remarrying only a few months of the passing of his celeb wife.

it's their own personal choice if you ask me, sometimes it helps to move on.
  • Irish 2011/03/22 04:46:00
    Other
    Irish
    This is what I've learned in my many years on this earth regarding those who have lost
    a spouse or child;
    I've been told one of the worst things is;
    most other people avoid the subject, not really knowing what to say to afraid of saying the wrong thing. It's like the deceased person never existed. No one wants to talk to about the deceased loved one. At a time when they really do need to talk.
    If you are interested in dating the person begin as friends. Ask questions, enjoy the fun and funny times the person had with their loved one. You will both be learning about each other as time goes on. Value the love they had for the other person truly in your heart. that love may possibly have been preparing them for a relationship with you.
    Listen to everything a special bonding will take place between you two if you do that. If you are mature enough to handle it and not get jealous. View it as someone who is sharing their heart with you and see it as a beautiful thing, something healing.
    Then see what happens. At the very least you will have a new friend.
  • 56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA... 2011/03/22 04:27:15
    6- months to a year
    56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA-F's
    depends . . . on the person some people may never be ready
  • Bruiser 2011/03/22 03:34:55
    Other
    Bruiser
    +1
    Every situation is different and depending on the people involved, I'd say common sense and common courtesy should be the deciding factor when it comes to a time frame.
  • jokeriser 2011/03/22 03:03:48
    Other
    jokeriser
    I asked at the funeral
  • sally 2011/03/22 02:45:18
    Other
    sally
    +1
    When they're ready :)
  • Jon 2011/03/22 02:12:47 (edited)
    Other
    Jon
    All depends on the person and how close they were to their significant other and how old or young they are. Wait one year for every 10 years they have been together.

If they madly in love and they had a good working relationship, they probably are done and won't go into a other relation.

If they had many years left in their life and don't want to be alone then they could meet some one to spend their remaining years together.

I believe women are most like not to go into a relation again then men, because most men would wait a couple of year if not less and look for a new mate.

This would to apply to 49% of the non divorce type. The other 51% are the divorce type who have been divorce 1 to 3 times and this is another complex stat all to together.
  • Venom 2011/03/22 02:07:45
    Right away like Right after the Funeral
    Venom
    I chose this one because I like the Jesus picture!!! LOL Nah seriously, whenever one feels the courage and sincerity to do so while also having enough strength to subject themselves to rejection, a slap in the face, or a swift kick up the azz - depends on the individual- I say GO FOR IT hell and tell me what happened! "LOL" Peace, Venom
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Venom 2011/03/22 03:00:49
  • Venom ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/03/22 13:34:49
    Venom
    Man, I am lovin it! LOL.
  • juancho83 2011/03/22 02:07:16
    Other
    juancho83
    +1
    depends on the person and how they dealing with there lost
  • BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust" 2011/03/22 01:34:44
    Other
    BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust"
    +2
    A relationship like that should probably start out as a friendship. Be there as a friend for this person and take it slowly from there.
  • twiggy 2011/03/22 00:49:20
    Right away like Right after the Funeral
    twiggy
    Before the wake is over I say. That way you can step in and assist them in the planning and show how nice you are, that way your in for sure.
  • Merlin 2011/03/22 00:35:08
    Other
    Merlin
    The night of the funeral!

Am only kidding, but some people can cope better. Am not honestly sure of this one.
  • Destiny 2011/03/22 00:16:50
    Other
    Destiny
    longer than 1-2 years depending on the person. whenever that person feels their ready, they should make the first move
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2011/03/21 23:36:25
    Other
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    At least not before the funeral.
  • TeardropsOfBlood4The1iiLove♥ 2011/03/21 23:18:28
    Other
    TeardropsOfBlood4The1iiLove♥
    If I was a widow (which I really dont wanna be) no-one else would get a chance with me. I love someone and then they die, I wouldn't want to be with anyone else.
  • HL Mencken 2011/03/21 23:16:43 (edited)
    Other
    HL Mencken
    +2
    I am thinking that you should wait at least until the body has taken on room temperature. Any sooner than that would be crass.
  • Pet Roc... HL Mencken 2011/03/21 23:37:46
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    What if the room was really really cold?
  • HL Mencken Pet Roc... 2011/03/22 00:27:58 (edited)
    HL Mencken
    +1
    Exceptions can always be made on a case by case basis.

For example, if the widow is particularly hot-looking, forgo the room-temperature rule and hit it as soon as the coroners make off with the corpse.
  • A, Hasan 2011/03/21 23:12:38
    6- months to a year
    A, Hasan
    9 months
  • ★misfit★ 2011/03/21 23:11:36
    6- months to a year
    ★misfit★
    Generally. It really depends on the situation, though.
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/03/21 23:09:35
    Other
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    That completely depends on the person. I hate it when someone says, "oh, isn't that too soon," or even worse, "it's been too long, you need to move on and get out there again." That is no one's business.
  • thepastord 2011/03/21 23:06:20
    1-2 years
    thepastord
    +1
    At least! Anything sooner is looking for trouble...................
  • luigi1- in god we trust 2011/03/21 23:04:19
    Other
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +1
    No set time period. Some people get over their loss quicker than others. Some never get over it.
  • *~Chris~* 2011/03/21 23:02:58
    1-2 years
    *~Chris~*
    This is actually a question that has been on my mind a lot. My best friend died in January of 2009, and she left behind her husband and 4 kids. Well, about 6 to 10 months ago I noticed this girl on FB that was on his friend's list that was calling him baby, sweetie, etc. and I found myself getting mad on behalf of my dead friend. It has officially been 2 years now since she died, and I know he has a right to find happiness again, but a part of me has this mindset that he shouldn't be with another woman. I know, it's wrong to think like that, but it's hard to fight that feeling. I think he has just dated this woman casually. I think she's intimidated by the fact that he has 4 kids, but I've had to rethink my own feelings regarding the whole situation. I'm friends with him still, and always will be because their children are the closest things I have to a niece and nephews, and if he does start dating someone seriously, I'll wish him luck. 2 years is probably plenty long enough now. He's lonely and I know it. But it's hard nonetheless.
  • wamcalif 2011/03/21 22:59:48
    Right away like Right after the Funeral
    wamcalif
    +1
    Yes, at the wake. That's always the best time. Make sure you give the widow a nice "hug" and deep passionate kiss while you whisper, "I'm so, so sorry about your loss...call me later". It's even more effective if you actually know the widow or the deceased.
  • Razzy Ratchets 2011/03/21 22:59:19
    Right away like Right after the Funeral
    Razzy Ratchets
    +3
    I actually would say in the hospital while their mate is dying. That seems like the most sensible thing to do and will give you a leg up in the competition. I am kidding. As a widow, I myself figured out when I was ready to date again. I think if you are perceptive to other people's feelings you will be able to pick up on it.
  • Tits ISHBAHFF McGee 2011/03/21 22:55:12
    Other
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +1
    depends on the person and the marriage they had.

Seems some people move on mighty quick and others never find another partner.
  • wtxwoman 2011/03/21 22:52:16
    Other
    wtxwoman
    +1
    It would depend on the widow or widower. Some people marry within 6 months of their spouses death. I don't plan to ever remarry. I don't want any kind of romantic relationship ever again. I wouldn't mind being friends with someone, but nothing more.
  • coffy:) 2011/03/21 22:36:46
    Other
    coffy:)
    +1
    Depends on wither the person has healed or not.

2014/10/25 13:38:20