How easy is it to forget your children?

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/11 11:48:19
Yes, It is very easy thing to do.
No, I don't buy it, they are your biggest responsibility

David Cameron's daughter was accidentally left behind after a visit to the pub. It's a scenario that's familiar to many parents, writes Kathryn Westcott.

For people who don't have children - or for those parents who are super-organised - the idea that a child could be left behind by a parent is simply outrageous. Forgetting your keys or wallet is acceptable but never a child.

But there are many parents who will identify with that feeling of horror when the realisation dawns that a child has been left behind somewhere. The Camerons were said to have been "distraught" when they realised that eight-year-old Nancy had been forgotten when the family left for home in two separate cars.

It's a heart-stopping moment - one that my family experienced not that long ago. Anyone with children will know that trying to get a group of them out of the house - shoes, hats, toilet runs - often needs to be planned with military precision.

David and Samantha Cameron in MayIt happened at a Sunday lunch several months ago

And if there is a large party of folk to be extracted from the house, one parent may set off with half the gaggle, leaving the remainder with the other.

n our case, we streamed off down the road for a family event at the local church, three generations in tow. It was only when one four-year-old asked where his similarly aged cousin was, that panic set in. Frantic messages were verbally sent between the grown-ups, until we discovered that he hadn't been seen since we left the house. After a mad dash down the street, we discovered him at home, oblivious to the alarm that had been caused by that moment of parental negligence.

Like the Camerons, one parent simply assumed he was with the other.

Justine Roberts of Mumsnet website says that this is a familiar scenario for many parents.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

In many cases both [parents] are working long hours - these are easy mistakes to make”

Justine RobertsMumsnet

"Many people will have some understanding of how this happened to the prime minister and his wife. Particularly if you are a family with two cars, there is the assumption by one parent that the other parent has a particular child. Everyone can see how it happens - particularly the more children you have - when you become outnumbered."

+6
    Just curious ..
    what's a CHILD doing in a PUB anyways?
    (hmm .. makes you think, doesn't it!)

I NEVER forgot where my children were .. anywhere ..
    (and I was a SINGLE parent too)
    even as little ones .. I taught them safety rules ..
    Follow your name .. go hold mommy's hand (one left .. one right)
    and do not let go once you are out of the car ..
    (BOTH of them followed that safety rule for sure .. )

• KrSpo 2012/07/04 08:54:43
    KrSpo
    I'll forget my kids the moment after I die.
  • Gooky 2012/07/04 08:37:17
    Gooky
    Left her at "the pub",huh?Were they that stinking wasted??
  • The River Rat 2012/07/04 06:47:06
    The River Rat
    He left her at the pub?
  • Rubyking 2012/07/04 06:21:55
    Rubyking
    you must be an idiot to forget
  • Charmaine 2012/07/04 04:02:59
    Charmaine
    DOES NOT MAKE SENSE AT ALL!!! That makes for a pathetic parent!!!
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/07/04 03:59:08
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    I have never forgotten my children EVER. Even under extreme duress. They are the first thing I think of.
  • Brosia 2012/07/04 03:58:10
    Brosia
    I don't know that it was on purpose, but I can see how it might happen if both parents are all about their careers and not very involved in their own family. It would never happen to me, because my priority is my children/family.
  • Mikel_mad2002 2012/06/12 15:57:21
    Mikel_mad2002
    The children should always come first
  • Pat 2012/06/12 05:16:25
    +1
    I wouldn't say that it's "easy" but it can happen. They came in two cars. They had three kids. The each thought the other had the third child and of course they came right back. I'm sure they were totally in a panic as any parent would be. But it happens when you're two busy parents and you're on the fly.
  • memebev1 2012/06/11 22:45:55
    memebev1
    I couldn't even begin to imagine forgetting one of my children. However there was a group of us camping and I ask my husband to watch our young daughter while I walked around the pond to fish. He took his eyes off her for a minute. I kept my eyes on her while she made her way to follow me. When she reached me, I sat her behind me. I seen him start to panic and then let him know she was with me. I was so angry with him. I also felt sorry for him. That was something that NEVER happened again
  • Vennie 2012/06/11 21:50:33
    Vennie
    Only had one but never, ever forgot her in any circumstance. Up until she was a teenager, I knew where she was every moment of every day, and after that pretty much knew most of the time :) "Forgetting" a small child in (or on) a car, in a store, or wherever is just totally unacceptable. I can see that if one had several small children it might be more of a challenge, but deciding to have children carries certain responsibilities that simply can not be ignored--or "forgotten".
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/06/11 19:59:24
    Lady Aiyanna
    If you have no filial bonding you forget your child, a good parent always goes child first everything else next. When out in groups, well I have wandered off many times as did my brother once on a very crowded beach and my dad never at any point lost track of of either of us, although my brother went missing for an hour after he was led away by someone and we traced him back to the last known location near a horse as he knew we would come back there. We never went into crowds ever again at least not when we were still kids.
    Always hold your childs hand and at times even tie the hand of the child to yours if the place your are going to cannot be avoided and is crowded. Was taught that by my parents.
    All parents have a responsibility and if the parents are irresponsible, its their bonding and attachment for their offspring that is in question here. Would never leave my child in a hotel room sleeping either as I know it is not my place and duplicate keys are freely available around.
  • raschell97 2012/06/11 18:27:37
    raschell97
    don't have kids but mom never forgot me kind of hard to forget me and my brother with all the hell we raised my brother taking things apart and grabbing the steering wheel of the 89 lipstick pink Chevy and me when dad and I would watch TV he'd fall asleep then I'd switch the channel to which ever on had Rodeo or some sport that the competitors were mainly in it for the Adrenalin rush so yea my brother and I are in fact the only hell my mama ever raised
  • Tresa 2012/06/11 16:24:59
    Tresa
    +1
    I'm like a hen with chicks, I know where each and every one of them are and am ready to gather them under my wings at the first sign of trouble.
    hen with chicks
  • Kashee Tresa 2012/06/11 17:15:51
    Kashee
    +1
    great photo
  • Ryoka∞Boy 2012/06/11 16:15:11
    Ryoka∞Boy
    How can you forget your own kid...
    nun never forget a kid I taught
  • Kashee 2012/06/11 14:30:46
    Kashee
    +2
    It would have been hard to do in my case because I only had one child. When you are talking many children and separate vehicles, I could see it happening. One parent thinks the child is with the other parent. It could happen.
    Since most people have cellphones, there should be a final check between the vehicles to be sure that all of the kids are counted.
  • JohnT 2012/06/11 14:25:16
    JohnT
    +1
    Never had it happen when raising our children. Put the dang electronic devices down, pay attention to the kids, and get your head out of your nether regions.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/06/11 14:06:08 (edited)
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +2
    I have NEVER forgotten my children. I will NEVER understand how I was forgotten or how other people forget *their* kids. I am apathetic to those people.
  • Joe61 2012/06/11 13:34:23 (edited)
    Yes, It is very easy thing to do.
    Joe61
    +1
    It's extremely easy to do. I have done it a few times in the past, when my daughter was little.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/06/11 13:05:28
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    I've got two kids so keeping tabs on them is easier for me unlike a Duggar clan which has way too many kids (20 plus kids).....
  • doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~... 2012/06/11 13:02:51 (edited)
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +1
    It has happened to me twice! The first time, I had never taken my daughter anywhere before--- she was only about 3 weeks old. I dressed her, put her in her carrier, packed up the diaper bag, portable bed, got her extra bottles out of the fridge, , etc. I then carried it all to the car------------I got into the car, turned the key---- and realized I had left the baby in the house! I felt the Complete fool! Then, when we were in Japan, I took the kids to Tokyo one day. after hours of sightseeing, shopping, eating, etc. we got on the train for home. They Really do pack you into those trains like sardines! We had pulled out of the station and were speeding toward Tamabochi when I realized my youngest son was Not with us! He had slipped behind me in the packing, and had missed the train! Lucky for me, the Japanese Love children, and my son at two spoke better Japanese than he did English! I was barely off the train in Tamabochi when the station master came up to me and told me my son was already on his way home! In both cases, I felt like a Horrible parent!
  • JMCC 2012/06/11 12:45:32
    JMCC
    +1
    Not undecided, something funky happened when I went to click "No, I don't buy it" button and adobe crashed.

WTF???

This is obviously a man who is unable to pay attention to detail and taken into context with, Hunt and May not able to take any responsibilty to anything.

"The Big Society" - do it yourself (Haig more or less said that to the business leaders.
    On Europe - "They need to get their act together!...

I have absolutely NO CONFIDENCE in the governement to look out for any but themselves - snout in trough, ass in the air and thats where all the bloody hot air is coming from...
  • RoseyRhod 2012/06/11 12:44:13 (edited)
    RoseyRhod
    +2
    I can see how it would happen in this case, where one parent believed the child was with the other parent. That would be horrible.
    Although because of his position, I cut him less slack. He should have his ducks in a row.
  • BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/11 12:15:27
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    This idiot has lost the bloody country,what hope does anything else have,this is what happens when you sleep with lib/dems,their idiocy is contagious.
    Ye Gods they had two cars, and two teams of "security",you and we are in the same boat with regard to idiot leadership!
  • MJ 2012/06/11 12:06:12
    MJ
    +3
    Could never forget,
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/11 11:56:07
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +5
    I just don't buy it, they can say what they want but it is a cop-out. My parents never forgot me and they both worked, My father was a fighter pilot in WWII and Korean Wars, also a engineer for the NYC RR and my mother was Head of a Department at a laboratory.
    I never forgot my son and I was going to college and teaching.

If they are to busy or to doped up to take care of their children it's on them. I don't buy their excusses, IT IS SIMPLE BAD PARENTING AND LACK OF ORGANIZATION. parents pushing a baby stroller parents pushing a baby stroller
  • raschell97 BIG BAD... 2012/06/11 18:30:58
    raschell97
    what subject did you teach my dad taught English and History and now he's a librarian at the same high-school he's been in the school system for about 22 years now
    +6
    Just curious ..
    what's a CHILD doing in a PUB anyways?
    (hmm .. makes you think, doesn't it!)

(and I was a SINGLE parent too)
  • BUCCANE... sglmom 2012/06/11 12:17:49
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Quite,if this had been an ordinary family,the heavies of the (often inept) social services would be kicking their door down
  • JohnT BUCCANE... 2012/06/11 14:27:51
    JohnT
    +2
    Excellent point but the so called special people get a free pass in life even if their idiots

2014/12/19 23:04:13