How does one go about seeking help for disorders?

Bigbrowneyes 2012/05/30 16:02:57
I have had a similar experience (please explain)
No clue, but...
I think...
I usually try to avoid personal questions, but maybe my fellow Sodaheads have had experiences with things like this.

Over the past few years, I have had thoughts that I can't get rid of circling around in my head, over and over, and while I can think about other things, they won't go away. Oftentimes they are very unpleasant, and sometimes they mean nothing at all...I didn't really think much of it at the general time it started, because it wasn't preventing me from doing anything.

But then recently, in the past two years, just like I can't stop thinking about certain things, I feel compelled to check or do things. Sometimes I can tell myself that I won't do them, but I get really distressed because I know I will give in. They're small things. Some examples are wanting to trim my hair when I don't actually want to do that, checking my alarm many times during the night even though I really do know I set it, reading over things several times to check if it's correct, checking several times that I put all my soccer equipment in my bag, and just checking in general. I also have to organize ideas into things like numbers. It sounds crazy. These actions are distressing because I feel like I have no control over them, even though they are not harmful per se.

it makes me feel insane sometimes...But I don't know how to go about finding help for it. Have you had any experiences like this, advice?

• Marie 2012/07/10 21:30:04
    Marie
    +1
    Well the doctors think I might be schizophrenic but I would just tell the doctors they will be there nd they will listen nd most likely help u get rid of this problem. Choose a doctor u no or feel comfortable around
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/05/30 23:49:05
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    It sounds a lot like really bad Anxiety. the things you're talking about are almost exactly what I was getting when I was told I have it. a big part of it is worrying, which includes thinking you're going insane.
  • antlergirl21 2012/05/30 21:21:16
    I think...
    antlergirl21
    +1
    Doctors and therapists are always a good first choice. Good luck!
  • scbluesman13 2012/05/30 19:26:54
    I think...
    scbluesman13
    +1
    If you are having thoughts or behavior compulsions that are causing you distress, I would highly recommend finding a good therapist in your area that you can talk to. Not only can the right therapist help identify what might be happening, but can also help you delve into the possible root causes of any neuroses you may be suffering. Drugs alone are never the answer to long sustainable mental health, but when combined with honest and deep talk-therapy can do wonders.

If you have a medical plan at your place of business, you can talk to your insurance company to see who in your area carries your coverage. If you're at a university, you can talk to someone at the medical center - there's usually at least 1 on-call therapist that can take drop-ins and make referrals.
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/05/30 17:58:22
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    I had problems with constant thoughts of dying since I was about 10 years old, along with other issues. I went to several different psychologist until I found the right now.
    I was on meds but I only took them for about a year because I didn't like them. Once I had therapy squared away I figured out other ways to work thru the process of my fear. One thing I've learned - if you don't talk about it it will eat you up.
  • Grand Gentleman 2012/05/30 17:40:12 (edited)
    No clue, but...
    Grand Gentleman
    +1
    Since you are a college student you could go to the campus medical center. If you are home, you could try your family doctor, who will probably refer you to a specialist.

It sounds like classic "Obsessive-compulsive disorder." This is an Anxiety disorder.

Based on what I could look up online, you might try a nutrient called "Inositol" 6 grams (6000 mg) divided into two 3 gram doses for a week or two to see if it helps. Some of the people in the study took as much as 12 grams a day but this can cause stomach issues, loose bowel movements.

Another nutrient N-Acetyl-Cysteine, (NAC) may be effective against addictions and compulsive behavior such as cocaine and habitual hair pulling. In one study of gambling addicts, it significantly reduced the addiction in 83% vs. 28% for placebo. Typical doses are 1200 to 2400 milligrams per day of NAC.

I am not a doctor, nor do I have actual experience with whatever is going on with you. You should probably see your doctor. From what I read though, the Inositol might help. Let me know if it works. Thanks.

Also, getting proper rest, proper exercise, getting what you need to get done ... done, and not being on the computer all day might help with this type of anxiety.
  • Grand G... Grand G... 2012/05/30 18:56:24 (edited)
    Grand Gentleman

Some people ignore stuff that needs to get done till it is too late, then express anxiety in this manner.
  • Bigbrow... Grand G... 2012/05/30 19:07:38
    Bigbrowneyes
    It is typically worse when I am at home. I think being employed would help a lot, if I could find a job. I have applied everywhere I could around here. Thank you for your considerate answers.
    No clue, but...
    which disorder?
  • Bigbrow... Sister ... 2012/05/30 16:50:07
    Bigbrowneyes
    Any. Maybe I am jut crazy :).
  • Kern Bigbrow... 2012/05/30 18:15:06
    Kern
    +1
    You're not crazy so don't start down that road. The best advice has already been given to you; talk to your family doctor or someone from the clinic in your college. The worst thing you can do is do nothing. Everyone has problems. Some problems are more evident than others.I happen to be afflicted with a very dangerous disease, I think I'm funny all of the time. My wife however has a different opinion. Together we have worked through it.

I wasn't trying to flippant with you; just trying to throw in some humor. Seriously, talk to someone because like all problems, they only get worse if you don't deal with them. Good luck.
  • JustMe 2012/05/30 16:12:39
    JustMe
    +1
    I am like that myself, sometimes its the stupidest things, or I nearly obsess over different outcomes of a situation. Or I will think I will do something later and then just get so bothered by it I do it sooner. Random disconnected thoughts too. That is just a sample, but if thats what you feel or if you want to chat please feel free to contact me

2014/12/19 05:45:03