How does being "Dishonorably Discharged" from the Military effect a person's life

Moderated 2009/03/31 18:11:15
Seriously, I would like to know what Rights and privileges, if any, are effected for being such a loser (like my ex-husband).

• kadie 2012/12/09 05:18:00
    I don't know, Belle, but I'm here to find out, too.
    kadie
    can i get a DD if i dont do will in boot camp? i dont mean on the working out on the classes and test just asking ?
    I know Belle:
    I doubt he got a DD just for going AWOL for a week. One week would be brig time, demotion, and forfeit of pay for a set period of time. A DD would mean that he did something really bad while AWOL.

The DD did NOT come from just being AWOL... impossible.
  • jonny man 2009/04/06 01:57:12
    I know Belle:
    jonny man
    he's screw for life
  • Larson Whipsnade 2009/04/01 01:50:51
    I know Belle:
    Larson Whipsnade
    +1
    Well, in order to get a Dishonorable Discharge, a serviceman has to be convicted in a General court-martial, and these are usually reserved for very serious offenses such as murder, treason, rape, desertion during wartime, etc.
    a DD deprives you of ALL veteran's benefits, including VA health care, and job placement services. It's basically like being an ex-con- no matter what you do, you will never have the same rights as a person with no criminal record.
  • benjami... Larson ... 2012/12/07 08:55:16
    benjamin.robberstad
    +9
    i have been "discharged" from the military. i popped on a UA from start to finish of the day i was caught: Walked in was called to the superior officers office and was asked what did i think i was being called in there for..blah blah anyways i was told i could fight my fate in court martial or i could just ammit my fault and waive my right to trial i chose the second option. after that i sign a few pieces of paper declaring that i said the above and was told to return all equipment issued to me........fast foward 2 months i recieve my copy of the paper i sign along with a due date for my equipment that was issued and that paper comes witth a bold rminder u wll be charged for all the stuff u dont give back!...fast foward present bing ejected from the service has affected me not that much i was still able to get grants for school and fasfa and i really havnt seen a decline in interviews and jobs. but the negatives r that i cant get a goverment job like dmv or a state job...now i dont sughest just getting kicked out like i did as your expierence could differ i guess but i will only justify my action as if u dont like a job why keep that job ...cause really that all the military is!
  • finalflicker 2009/04/01 00:48:04
    I know Belle:
    finalflicker
    +1

i know you cant own a firearm if you have a Dishonorable Discharge..but there are other less than honorable discharges that dont result from being courtmartialed
  • KODA 2009/04/01 00:35:46
    KODA
    +1
    I had an Honorable discharge , but even back then you did not get much that either , I could not get un-employment from Texas because I had not worked in Texas for 4 years and voluntarily left the service , No SHIT
  • tallChristian 2009/03/31 22:54:07
    I know Belle:
    tallChristian
    +1
    In short, any job or school application that asks if you were in the military will require that you have been honorably discharged or retired. If you are dishonorably discharged it can effect your credit, chances to advance your education, post discharge benefits, and more permanently. If it were due to criminal activity that will also be on your record permanently.
  • Phantom is loved by Stormy! 2009/03/31 21:56:51
    I know Belle:
    Phantom is loved by Stormy!
    +1
    As everyone stated, it's like having a horrible job history. The employers will think twice about hiring you, but some employers would be open enough to ask what they were dishonorable discharged for and still consider hiring them based on the reason. In fact, I had a manager who was dishonorably discharged and attained a criminal record for "minor abuse" once. He's a bit conceded and doesn't seem to have any qualms stepping over you to either go up the "corporate ladder" or keep his job. Why? Because due to the fact that he's now a labeled/registered pedophile, no one else would hire him.
  • Gwynodd 2009/03/31 21:28:52
    I know Belle:
    Gwynodd
    +1
    It could prevent a person from getting that dream job they want. It causes serious concerns about that person and begs to question that persons loyalty.
  • Albedo 9.0 2009/03/31 20:50:53
    I know Belle:
    Albedo 9.0
    +1
    I think it really depends on what type of job you try to get when you get out of the military. I'm sure it would affect any high security or technical job for the government, state or military contractor. Other than that; not much.
  • Yukkione "In Science We Trust" 2009/03/31 19:21:54
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    It's tacky to bash an ex online. Boo
  • triggerman_1 2009/03/31 18:57:05
    I know Belle:
    triggerman_1
    +1
    Getting a a dishonorable discharge is like being convicted of a felony. It also means that person is a disgrace to the military or branded. It is not a good thing, sometimes you may be able to have it changed to a "general" more acceptable discharge.
  • hottfry 2009/03/31 18:35:09
    I know Belle:
    hottfry
    +1
    its like a felony yea they military just dnt kick u out for nothin they have alot of different articles for alot of different things dependin on the severity of the offense u can get a dd.....like lyin u can get court martialed disobeying orders depending on how big the mission is can earn u a dd my cousin was in an he just explained it to me now he said like at basic if they catch u wit like cupcakes in the barracks they will do stupid shit like make u guard a broom closet all nite and they will deduct ur pay hope that shines some light on the situation
  • Moderated hottfry 2009/03/31 18:36:47
    Moderated
    AWOL...he went AWOL....does your cousin know if that's incredibly serious?
  • hottfry Moderated 2009/03/31 18:40:00
    hottfry
    ur ex went awol...let me ask.........depending on where they were and wat area they where in an how long he was gone he can get one if they are on a mission an he goes awol then yea he can get one usually though if u go awol on a mission its not considered awol its considered desertion and u can be exucuted for it.......but if he just went awol off grounds of his base it can be grounds for awol and a dd
  • Moderated hottfry 2009/03/31 18:45:54
    Moderated
    he was stationed in biloxi at the time, went AWOL for over a week, then got dd
  • hottfry Moderated 2009/03/31 18:49:25
    hottfry
    yea he prob did.........that was the reason then its cuz it was for over a week
  • WrathUponOurselves 2009/03/31 18:27:20
    WrathUponOurselves
    +1
    idk but i just know my exs brother got kicked out of the navy and now works at taco bell... that kinda says something
  • Moderated WrathUp... 2009/03/31 18:28:06
    Moderated
    yeah.

I'm wondering if it's the same as a felony....no more voting, bad credit, etc.
  • WrathUp... Moderated 2009/03/31 18:29:34
    WrathUponOurselves
    +1
    i have no clue, thats a really interesting question though.
  • . Moderated 2009/03/31 19:18:21 (edited)
    .
    Was he at Keesler? I was at Ocean Springs years ago.
  • Moderated . 2009/03/31 19:23:15
    Moderated
    Not sure....never told me the name of the base. He was Air Force....it happened in the early 80s.
  • . Moderated 2009/03/31 19:51:02 (edited)
    .
    Okay that was Keesler then. I don't know many people that went AWOL from the AF, that's strange. The AF has an outstanding reputation.
  • Moderated . 2009/03/31 21:17:25
    Moderated
    yeah...I thought it was weird, too.
  • . Moderated 2009/03/31 19:36:03 (edited)
    .
    A DD like a BCD is a punitive discharge rather than a administrative discharge. It can be handed down to an enlisted member by a general court martial. DD's are are handed down for what the military considers the most dishonorable type of conduct.

This type of discharge may be rendered only by conviction at a general court martial for serious offenses such as awol/desertion, sexual assault or murder. To make a long story short he will loose all current benefits and veteran benefits regaurdless of how much time in service or how honorable that service was.

In many states he cannot have ownership of any type of weapon and yes obtaining work will play hell on his life, I work for the Army as a civilian and he would never be hired for them and he can forget any type of job that requires a clearance. He's really going to catch hell with any job unless he lies on his application and hope they never check on it.

However he cannot get a bad credit rating from this, in some states for voter rights they do ask if you have a DD in your record and you can be denied the right to vote, but I don't know if that would apply in his state or not, he would have to check.
  • true american 2009/03/31 18:19:29
    I know Belle:
    true american
    +3
    In short it can cause issues with private sector job that requires clearence.
  • WrathUp... true am... 2009/03/31 18:28:05
    WrathUponOurselves
    +1
    what does that mean?
  • true am... WrathUp... 2009/03/31 18:31:24 (edited)
    true american
    +2
    • Certain jobs require a security clearance to work on particular projects, either pertaining to military, or government projects. Dishonorable discharge CAN inhibit you from getting this job.
  • WrathUp... true am... 2009/03/31 18:37:52
    WrathUponOurselves
    oh okay thanks for telling me. that explains a lot
  • KODA true am... 2009/04/01 00:37:24
    KODA
    +1
    check my post above and I had a Top Secret Crypto clearance LOL
  • true am... KODA 2009/04/01 02:08:08
    true american
    +1
    What do you do now
  • KODA true am... 2009/04/01 02:42:46
    KODA
    +1
    a flunky in the oil field LOL Field Operator, I was an Electrician for 2o years and decided I did not want to do that anymore
  • true am... KODA 2009/04/01 10:18:50
    true american
    +1
    From electrican to oil field wow what a change.
  • KODA true am... 2009/04/02 02:12:16
    KODA
    +1
    , well not exactly , I was an Electrician in the oil fields ;)
  • kadie true am... 2012/12/18 03:02:32
    kadie
    can i get a dd if i did not do well in boot camp in the classes or what would happen?
  • true am... kadie 2012/12/18 11:02:28
    true american
    DD are for those who can not follow the rules,this is not likely to occur in boot camp. You can be discharged for failing to pass PT in basic training, but I believe this is a rare event.

2014/09/15 04:10:40