How Do You Say Wolfrider In Gaelic... Scottish Variety Not Irish?

chaoskitty123 2010/08/20 04:43:27
Related Topics: Irish, Style, Rider
Ok, here's a question for all you linguistics experts out there as Scottish / Gaelic and Irish / Celtic are very similar but not the same.

Here are some things I need translated and i need them accurately translated from the Old Gaelic and not their modern equivalents.

Wolfrider (as one or two separate words) which if I understand would be Conmarcach with Con meaning wolf in a derivative form and marcach meaning rider although often being used in terms of horseman or horserider being there seems to not have been a word for wolfrider.

She Wolf (again, one or two words) which I think is faolchĂș baineann but I need confirmation of this.

Big Wolf and Big Bad Wolf separately?

Werewolf would be what? Werefox and Werebear maybe?

Bear is what in Gaelic and is there is a variant of Berserker?

Fox is Sionnach? What would red fox or white fox be?

In Norse, Fenris (or Fenrir) was a child of Loki and a giant wolf... were there other mythological wolves or godlike wolves in Gaelic mythology.

The word b*tch (as in a female dog and not the derogatory word so don't get upset ladies) is what in Gaelic as in a female wolf in this terminology? The terminology female and b*tch would be different I'm told.

If you know the Irish variations or others, I'd be interested in hearing those also but I need to know these specifically in Old Gaelic for a fantasy story I'm working on.

• Oklahoma2010 2011/07/13 04:05:01
    Oklahoma2010
    +2
    Actually, the Irish speak Gaelic as well. It's just a different dialect than the Scots. Variation of some words/sayings and such.
  • chaoski... Oklahom... 2011/07/13 06:35:03
    chaoskitty123
    Yes I know and Gaelic and Celtic are basically the same as they are given names by different cultures but are basically the same people. It's like the Cimmerians, the people made famous by the Conan mythos. Notice that the name Conan is Celtic? When you research them, you find they were a much traveled peoples known by many names from ancient Assyria to where they may have eventually wound up among the West Europeans. But always different names.

Then toss in modern variations like how Wicca is trying to recover elements of witchcraft and modern day druids are trying to rediscover ancient ways but ultimately, both groups are doing nothing but reinventing ancient concepts and very little of what they do is actually fact based on the ancient ways making them an imitation but not historically accurate.

In the same way, you will find modern rehashing of the ancient Celtic / Gaelic language so when you think you have the right translation, someone else a bit wiser than you points out you're wrong lol... you used the modern variation when the ancient variation is also known.

So, to try getting this accurate, I tried to find someone who would know because time after time I found what I thought was accurate and then discovered the translation might be the modern variant rather than the original which is what I am searching for.
  • Oklahom... chaoski... 2011/07/13 20:43:42
    Oklahoma2010
    +2
    So email the University of Edinburgh. They have a Gaelic department, or at least someone there who teaches a Gaelic class. Someone there can point you in the right direction.
  • chaoski... Oklahom... 2011/07/14 01:56:08
    chaoskitty123
    Might try that... thanks.
  • Cathy 2010/08/20 23:53:56
    Cathy
    Sorry, but I am clueless, let me know because I am curious!
    Wish I knew! If anyone finds out, pass it along!
  • Mysticflamezz 2010/08/20 04:51:09
    Mysticflamezz
    +1
    The scottish variety is call galican
    and the only words i know in galican
    are: Haud yer whesat lassie (not sure if i spelt it right)
    but it means shut up girl
  • chaoski... Mysticf... 2010/08/20 05:00:53
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    That's interesting as I suspected it might have a more specific name being the Scots weren't the only ones speaking Gaelic and I know Welsh has a different name but I have never run across the name for the Scottish branch of Gaelic. I don't know if I'll need to tell someone to "shut up girl" lol... but who knows, maybe one day I'll want to get slapped and pretend not to know why ;P

Thanks for the input.
  • Jackie turner 2010/08/20 04:47:15
    Jackie turner
    +1
    good question have not a clue but let me know the answer. now I'm curious.
  • chaoski... Jackie ... 2010/08/20 05:03:33
    chaoskitty123
    Well, I'm hoping we've got some people with the answer here as in searching I came across so many arguments about Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Celtic, Gaelic, modern and old with a bit of middle tossed in that I finally gave up and decided I needed to see if I could find someone with a definitive answer or two.

Keep an eye on this and let's see if anyone has definitive answers and even if not, for writers and the curious, getting the answers might be important or at least interesting.

2014/07/30 23:33:47