How do you know that there is a God?

ANGEL 2012/03/26 16:06:30
People who believe in God, are certain that He exists. There is no physical way to prove His existence to those who do not believe. I have often seen Atheists challenge those that do believe - asking them for proof. I have seen responses such as "I know I love my husband and by that same certainty, I know that God exists."

For those of you who believe in God - how do YOU know that God exists?

Note: This poll is not resurrected for anyone to be disrespectful to those who may believe differently than you. I welcome responses from people involved in Christianity, Judaism, Scientology, Pagans, Muslims, etc. Please, if you cannot be respectful, then do not comment on my polls.

• KoAm 2012/03/26 16:29:26
    KoAm
    +3
    >>>People who believe in God, are certain that He exists.<<<

People who don't believe in God are certain that He doesn't exist.

>>> There is no physical way to prove His existence to those who do not believe.<<<

Most (if not all) atheists believe the laws of nature. Well, the laws of nature imply the existence of a Lawmaker.

>>> I have often seen Atheists challenge those that do believe - asking them for proof. <<<

I've often asked atheists to prove that they love their mothers. Always stumps them.

• Magical 2012/03/30 01:08:28
    Magical
    Just as I know that I have love and am loved by many friends and family.
  • martin28 2012/03/27 05:12:19 (edited)
    martin28
    There is no physical way to prove he exists neither is there a way to prove the big bang theory is the way life has come to be. BUT, how can life begin from something that is not living as in abiogenesis and what would make a fish need to eventually form lungs. How can a cosmic explosion not only create life but possibly create life in one minuscule section of the vastness of the cosmic boundaries (because to date there has not been any contact in our solar system of life outside of earth despite one of jupiter's moons possibly having water. With faith in there being a G-D a lot of blanks are filled in my opinion my two biggest questions in relation to G-D is 1) how did his(not saying G-D is male or female because he is neither but he is used to give a defined term it is also said that G-D posses both qualities of a man and woman protective, loving, strict, compassionate, provide, produce lifeetc etc. With our creation he simply divided the two halves which is why it is why genesis speaks of marriage as becoming one flesh) and 2) why does he love human rings so much when all we do is cause him problems but I digress.

I know both beliefs have huge holes that we as humans can never fill in because in the case with the scientific explanation how can chemistry become biology in la...

I know both beliefs have huge holes that we as humans can never fill in because in the case with the scientific explanation how can chemistry become biology in laymen terms how can gas particles combine together to create something that has a conscious thought? With the religious explanation (Judeo-Christian to be specific) where did this all powerful consciousness come from and what started his consciousness. These are questions I've pointlessly wondered at times but there will never be an answer for any. What I do know is events are written down in the bible from people who knew nothing of our present technology yet they spoke of them in detail. That alone is proof for me to believe there has to be a being who knows the end from the beginning. I also have never seen the oxygen yet use everyday and will bet anything that oxygen is real and I believe G-D is the same.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/03/27 01:19:52
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    nobody knows if he does not exist either. I'm neutral on this subject. I really don't care either because I'm not religious in any way.
  • Philo-Publius 2012/03/26 23:51:42
    Philo-Publius
    +1
    'Exist'... 'does not exist'... these are little, narrow categories into which our minds always seek to try and fit things. I prefer Paul Tillich's view:
    tillich
    "God does not exist. He is being itself beyond essence and existence. Therefore to argue that God exists is to deny him."
  • Matilda Walton 2012/03/26 22:36:23
    Matilda Walton
    ACCORDING TO GOD'S WORD.........THIS IS HOW MANKIND KNOWS THAT GOD

EXIST........"SINCE THE CREATION( OF MANKIND AND ALL THINGS IN HEAVEN AND

EARTH) OF THE WORLD.......GOD'S INVISIBLE QUALITIES OF BEING CREATOR ARE

SEEN( EVERYTHING THAT GOD HAS MADE)......BEING UNDERSTOOD BY THE THINGS

THAT ARE MADE( MAN DID NOT MAKE THE SUN, MOON, AND STARS; MAN DID NOT

MAKE MAN; MAN DID NOT MAKE THE ANIMALS; MAN DID NOT MAKE THE VEGETATION

OF THE FIELD; MAN DID NOT MAKE THE ANGELIC HOST; MAN CANNOT GIVE LIFE TO

MAN OR GIVE LIFE TO ANYTHING......PSALMS 100:1-5.....ACTS 17:22-34

GENESIS 1:1-31......GENESIS 2:1-25) EVEN GOD'S ETERNAL POWER( 1 TIMOTHY 1:17

AND GODHEAD, SO THAT THEY( THOSE WHO DO NOT BELEIVE THAT GOD EXIST)

ARE WITHOUT EXCUSE( GOD'S CREATION ATTEST THAT HE IS GOD, AND GOD

ALONE!.......1 CORINTHIANS 8:5-7) BECAUSE ALTHOUGH THEY KNEW GOD( BY WHAT

THEY SEE OF HIS CREATION), THEY DID NOT GLORIFY HIM( ACKNOWLEDGE THAT

HE IS GOD) AS GOD, NOR WERE THEY THANKFUL, BUT THEY BECAME FUTILE IN

THEIR THOUGHTS( THEIR THOUGHTS WERE TINGED WITH INSANITY) AND THEIR

FOOLISH HEARTS WERE DARKENED. PROFESSING TO BE WISE THEY BECAME

FOOLS".......ROMANS 1:18-32......1 CORINTHIANS 3:18-23

ALL THE GLORY TO GOD!
  • kmay 2012/03/26 19:10:39
  • Hsmagst 2012/03/26 19:05:51
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/03/26 18:03:15
    Picasso's Cat
    +1
    I believe in God, and i'm not certain it exists. I just have faith it does.
    By the way God isn't a he or she, it's an exsistance, if it exsists at all.
    There is no empirical proof of the human race at all, on any level, we are just here, and don't know why.
    That's why all the different stories. in the absence of fact, we make up what we think is the fact until proven otherwise. That's what going on today, and has been going on since the begining of time.
    You either believe in the stories or you don't.
    Some people can't fathom that reality and become fanatics on one side of religion or the other and don't believe in any of it.
    And it is those fanatics that make life difficult for people to decide what they believe is true or false.
    Because the fanstics don't really know either, one way or the other, but they rant to others that they do know, and they really don't know, and can't prove it either.

So there you have it, the human condition of not knowing why we are here, and maybe never will know until we die, maybe?

Life being so short, it's a shame to waste it telling others something you don't know for sure.
    I just live my life the best I can, and hopefully one day I will know, God willing.
    But if not, I continue on my life's journey with the same...

But if not, I continue on my life's journey with the same force I started with, no deviations one way or the other, because maybe we are not ment to know the real truth, maybe we as human beings could not possibly handle the truth.
    Even though our pride thinks we could.
  • Bocephus 2012/03/26 17:02:43
  • Headhunter 13 2012/03/26 16:47:11 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    Great question Angel. I look forward to the responses and excuses and apologetics that will be posted. Many things in the history of the human race have been believed to have been known and then proven very wrong. Every one that believes in any god knows they are and yet they all can't be. Even separate religions that believe in the same god think they are the sect with the real answer.

Knowing something without proof is not really knowing or knowledge, it is belief and wishful thinking
  • martin28 Headhun... 2012/03/27 05:14:09
    martin28
    The same can be prescribed to the theory of evolution.
  • Headhun... martin28 2012/03/27 12:44:55 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Actually no it can't Sorry to break your heart but Evolution is a fact and has passed every empirical test there is. It is as real as The Theory of gravity. Want to test that I have a way you can. Or the Germ Theory of Disease or Relativity.

Just curious what does the 88 in your page name stand for? Hopefully not what I think it might be.
  • martin28 Headhun... 2012/04/03 09:55:51 (edited)
    martin28
    Did you conduct these tests to find it true or did you listen to someone who told you they were true? (hope I don't sound hostile) It was once secular scientific fact that the world was flat and you could fall off the edge it was also accepted that certain races were genetically inferior to others. I have proven G-D for myself though time and time again I feel as if he doesn't care. I am not a person who can just accept what others tell me and that is what led me to have to prove there is a G-D for myself not because my parents said there is. I've never seen G-D but not everything that isn't seen is non-existent. The 88 in my name is because I like the number 8 so the only thing better than one 8 is two lol, I normally put 28 for 2 8's but this time I just put 88. What did you think it was?
  • Headhun... martin28 2012/04/03 12:31:24
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Actually it was not secular scientific fact on any of those thing but they were taught as part of religious belief. Just as the sun being the center of the universe and that there is an above and below heaven and hell and yet not of that is real

Please share your so called proof since you have none.

So 88 is just a superstition like your other beliefs? You do realize that many neo nazi's use ** for HH
    As a Neo-Nazi symbol

Neo-Nazis use the number 88 as a code to represent the slogan Heil Hitler.[3] The letter H is eighth in the alphabet, so 88 is meant to stand for HH. The number is sometimes used in combination with the number 14 (e.g. 1488 or 14/88). In this context, the number 14 stands for the "Fourteen Words", which is a white nationalist slogan created by convicted terrorist David Lane. Examples of usage include: the song "88 rock'n'roll band" by the neo-Nazi band Landser, and the names of the groups Column 88, Unit 88, White Legion 88 and Barselc88. Holocaust museum shooter James von Brunn often signed his writings as "JVB-88." Hungarian far-right party Jobbik often uses the number 88. The party's program for the 2010 elections was published on 88 pages.[4]
  • ANGEL Headhun... 2012/04/03 12:59:46
    ANGEL
    +2
    Wow! I found the information about the neo-nazis use of the #88 to be fascinating! I didn't know that. While I don't agree with all of your posts, I find them always to be informative and indicative of the fact that you are very well read.
  • Headhun... ANGEL 2012/04/03 13:50:48
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    Thanks Angel.
  • martin28 Headhun... 2012/04/05 04:11:32
    martin28
    +1
    You're partly correct in the jewish bible or the old testament there are references suggesting the knowledge of the earth being round and it being suspended in space as we all have come to know is fact now. It is only after Christianity when it became "fact" that the earth is flat and the sun revolves orotund the earth. The happened as more non-jewish christians became a part of the jewish sect christianity and brought along with them their own personal beliefs and because they outnumbered jewish christians quickly this became accepted among the group. Then years later christianity was declared the official roman religion further pushing this false fact to others. But my point is these false beliefs about the sun, earth and our solar system in general came when ex pagans and secularists joined christianity.

88 isn't any superstitious belief it's just a favorite number I like 8 so pretty much anything with the number I like. I would never associate with any hate group because perhaps its ironic but, I hate all hate groups lol because we are all people. Besides if I was were even allowed to join neo-nazis they'd kill me right after I'm mixed lol one of which is Jewish. lol can you imagine a jewish nazi? now that'd be the dumbest idea ever.
  • Headhun... martin28 2012/04/05 12:41:36
    Headhunter 13
    FYI jewish is a religion and is not handed done genetically like race you are not one half anything. You are not born jewish or christian or muslim or any other, your are indoctrinated intom it or you choose it when you get older usulaay with some indoctrination
  • martin28 Headhun... 2012/04/10 01:20:23
    martin28
    +1
    Actually being Jewish is both a religion and a race to some extent. A person can convert and become a Jew which would be the religion but they can not change their race like Sammy Davis Jr. who converted. At the same time Jewish race is to many Jews a descendant of Jacob and to orthodox Jews this descent is through the mother. So a Jewish man who marries an atheist woman would not have Jewish children, but a jewish woman who does the same would have jewish children but that's mainly the an orthodox Jews' belief. Although, in the bible some men intermarried yet their children were still seen as Jewish. At the least, being Jewish can be defined as an ethnicity with some racial aspects. 

It may be indoctrination but once the child becomes older they can choose to believe whatever they want. I don't you'll agree but atheism is also indoctrination just as much as Christianity, Judaism, etc are.
  • Headhun... martin28 2012/04/10 13:03:49
    Headhunter 13
    Why do you post stupid and grossly inaccurate things. Jewish is purely a religion. The Hebrew tribe which created judiasm in the original form (there are others since then) came out of the Semitic groups just like Palestinians, Arabs, Syrian and others. They are not a race their are 3 races Caucasian, Mongoloid and Negroid. They are of they Caucasian race. Jewish like every other religion and god are man made.

Please tell me who indoctrinated me to being an Atheist after being baptized and raised for 16 years as a catholic including 9 years of formal catholic schooling. No I am an Atheist because of a conscious intelligent decision to reject superstition and myth
  • martin28 Headhun... 2012/04/13 06:45:12
    martin28
    What a surprise another atheist who is all knowing, race is a system humans use to classify each other based on ancestral geography, ethnicity and to some extent their unique cultural similarities (although this is changing as people immigrate and emigrate more). Those 3 races you are referring to are used as a broad sense of categorizing humans and is not recognized by the scientific community primarily because it is offensive to some. This race classification also is ridiculous to say the least, caucasian is the group of people who lived to the north of the caucus mountains. The semitic people would most likely fall in with the group you call the mongloid. Most individuals living in the middle east in the past were of a darker skin tone (FYI they weren't africans as some idiot groups are leading people to believe), it is due to the conquering of the greeks and then romans that changed the region. Being Jewish is a race/ethnicity because it has a group of people who share a common identity and a shared ancestral link, and as more people are born of mixed racial backgrounds these lines will be erased.

You were indoctrinated by other atheists namely atheist scientist. If you believe this is not true then tell me what were your findings about evolution when you conducted your tes...

You were indoctrinated by other atheists namely atheist scientist. If you believe this is not true then tell me what were your findings about evolution when you conducted your tests.

There are only two polar sphere when it comes to the existence of all things. Either you believe in science's claim which is made by people the average individual will never see or even get the chance to conduct a study with but have to go by PURE faith that the scientist is honest. Or you can accept creationism that states an all-powerful being created all things who does things that according to our understanding seems to make no sense or could be done differently but his (not saying G-D is a male) existence can be proven by the average guy who earnestly tries to seek him. You say it was a conscious intelligent decision to reject myths but yet you believe something you've never proven yourself. Congratulations on believing anything you have heard and not seen.
  • Headhun... martin28 2012/04/13 12:54:09
  • martin28 Headhun... 2012/04/19 06:21:34
    martin28
    Since we're bragging now... I have an IQ of 132 and the mental condition LLI that enhances intellectual ability so your degrees mainly show your age and patience over me. Being jewish does constitute as both a religion and an ethnic group, Race? not so much because there are spanish jews, black jews, asian jews etc etc but we are an ethnic group because we follow a specific cultural lifestyle.
  • Headhun... martin28 2012/04/19 12:05:50
    Headhunter 13
    Which is lower than my IQ in HS. Not bragging stating facts. Something you have few of. Jewish is a religion, Hebrew is an ethnic group. Stop demonstrating your ignorance (lack of knowledge) No you follow a religious tradition. Damn your ignorance is profound
  • martin28 Headhun... 2012/05/01 11:56:54
    martin28
    Hubris doesn't make anyone intelligent. If your IQ was and is that high I question what you doing here. The term Hebrew is now used to describe the language, the word Jewish possibly a derivative of the tribe Judah is now used in place of what Hebrew used to mean. Like I said before being Jewish is a religion, it is also an ethnic group with racial aspects as a persons Jewishness is passed down through the mother. You have so much hubris and very little intelligence.
  • Headhun... martin28 2012/05/01 12:07:22
    Headhunter 13
    Again the ethnic group is Semitic. The same as the Palestinians and Arabs and Syrians amongst others. Please run along with your ignorance.
  • Buster 2012/03/26 16:37:46
    Buster
    Most non-believers who ask for proof ask for a type that simply cannot be given. I believe they know that when they ask for it. However, I have found that they cannot provide me with the type of proof I want when it comes to what they believe.
  • Headhun... Buster 2012/03/26 16:48:20
    Headhunter 13
    There is really only one kind of proof no matter what you want. That is empirical proof or evidence. Facts
  • Buster Headhun... 2012/03/26 16:51:35 (edited)
    Buster
    The types of empirical facts I want haven't been provided by the non-believers I've asked.
  • Headhun... Buster 2012/03/26 17:42:18
    Headhunter 13
    Yes they have it is called science and fact. It explains where the universe came from and where life evolved and how. It expalins that germs case disease and helps cure it when possible. Now if you want to redefine empirical fact then that sounds like you ahve a personal problem and won't believe the facts.
  • Buster Headhun... 2012/03/26 18:36:08
    Buster
    I look at empirical how it is defined. Since it is based on experiment and the "numbers" can be made to say whatever the person wants them to say, especially if they already have in mind a result, it's not 100% proof that they are what people say they are.
  • Headhun... Buster 2012/03/26 18:54:13
    Headhunter 13
    ROFLMAO. You claim that about science and empirical evidence yet believe in a myth that has nothing verifiable abou it, has been written in over 700 versions not including translations, has no historical or archaeological verification, even has 3 major sect judiasm, christianity and islam all claiming the same god with different belief and at war murdering each other in his name for thousands of years.

And you question the facts of science and empiricism. Go away you are to funny.
  • Buster Headhun... 2012/03/26 19:12:14
    Buster
    I already stated I can't provide the kind of proof you need to believe what I believe.

I question the subjective interpretation of what you call facts. You, nor anyone else, was there to see what you claimed happen. That being a fact, you can only theorize, based on subjective interpretation, that it happened that way. That means we are just alike. I can't provide proof the way you want to be absolutely sure and neither can you.
  • Headhun... Buster 2012/03/26 19:19:00 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    Sorry semantics won't hold water here. You can question ity all you want it does not change the fact that is how every thing works.

If you reject the facts and the proof that does not change it. It just shows that you reject the reality
  • Buster Headhun... 2012/03/26 20:18:25
    Buster
    It shows I have the ability to recognize subjective opinions based on what are called facts and facts themselves.
  • Headhun... Buster 2012/03/26 20:54:10
    Headhunter 13
    No it shows you have the ability to believe in make believe and ignore facts and reality. That is better known as deluded or crazy. But glad you are proud of it.
  • Buster Headhun... 2012/03/26 21:56:10
    Buster
    The difference is I don't care if you believe what I believe but you can't stand it that I don't believe what you believe.

What evidence would you need from me to show that God exists? I can already tell you that I can't provide it which means I don't expect you to believe. However, I could provide you the type of evidence I need to believe you and you couldn't provide it. The thing is you will still expect me to believe you where I won't expect the same from you.
  • Headhun... Buster 2012/03/26 22:21:06 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    Actually the difference is you only want to believe the fantasy you were brainwashed with. I probably know more about your religion and it's history than you do. Not only have I read your myths (3 versions of the over 700) but I was formally trained for 9 years in faith based schools. I have also studied religions on 4 continents both formally and informally.

What evidence do I need. That is simple I want the same proof he/she/it exists as any other being or thing in the universe. Face it every test of your god ends up with a big zero.

Now what evidence is it that I can provide. You talk a lot and say nothing what is this evidence you need seeing how you automatically reject fact, science and empirical proof.

BTW I don't expect you to believe because I don't have beliefs I have facts. That is the real difference
  • KoAm 2012/03/26 16:29:26
    KoAm
    +3

• beliver of jashin-sama 2012/03/26 16:13:57
    beliver of jashin-sama
    +2
    you can´t KNOW like you know you have headache or something like thet.
    the only way to discribe how i know there is a good...is like to know sometimes before the phone rings THAT it will ring ....or that you know there is something that is importaint to you, and you know that you can make it...
    i´m not good at discribing feelings, and i´m sorry for my bad english( it´s not my native language)

2014/11/23 17:28:24