How do you get rid of fleas? My poor dogs. I have used Frontline, Advantage, shampoos,and dips. In the yard I have tried Seven, Ortho, Bayer Advanced and still can't get rid of them. Suggestions please!

sick'n'tired PWCM 2011/09/25 16:29:27
Related Topics: Dogs, Dog, Poor, Shampoo, Yard

• Red 2011/09/25 16:31:43
    Red
    +5
    Baking Soda .....put it on your rugs and vaccum it up....they hate it.

• mrdog Brights... 2011/09/25 18:59:06
    mrdog
    How do you know that? tell me..please... bark
  • Brights... mrdog 2011/09/25 19:40:48
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    The Vet we use with our dog.

Onions and Garlic http://www.dog-first-aid-101....

Onions and garlic contain thiosulphate, the chemical that makes them toxic foods for dogs.

If you feed onions or garlic to him regularly, his red blood cells may weaken and literally fall apart.

The thiosulphate can reach toxic, even deadly levels, if he eats too much of either food.

Without treatment, severe anemias and death can result from overeating these toxic foods.
  • mrdog Brights... 2011/09/25 19:42:38
    mrdog
    +1
    Thanks...that is good info...i will slow down on my garlic milk bones...but i do like them very much indeed...bark
  • Brights... mrdog 2011/09/26 12:04:10
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    your welcome
  • mrdog Brights... 2011/09/26 12:36:52
    mrdog
    hank williams.... Robin sings... he is so lonesome he could die...bark
  • fairief... Brights... 2011/09/26 04:39:58
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    There are a lot of pet treats and foods that use garlic, as long as you don't use too much it's fine.
  • coolrayfruge 2011/09/25 18:13:43
    coolrayfruge
    +2
    The Dawn lavander dish soap sounds like a good idea!
    I know firemen use it to kill bees.
  • kent 2011/09/25 18:10:14
    kent
    +3
    To kill them in the yard try Malathion, to get rid of them in the house try arson!
  • sick'n'... kent 2011/09/25 18:14:26
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +3
    I am almost ready for that! Thanks.
  • Angela ... sick'n'... 2013/09/10 04:09:30
    Angela Allard
    +2
    Agreed!!!!
  • realityjunkie 2011/09/25 18:08:29
    realityjunkie
    +3
    You need to use Frontline or Advantage once a month. You also need to stop the flea life cycle. There are three stages, the egg, larva, and adult flea. That means you need to flea bomb three times. You cannot fix the problem unless you do. Trust me I’ve been there. Each stage is fourteen days. Bomb the house, spray the yard. Repeat every two weeks until you’ve done it three times.
  • sick'n'... reality... 2011/09/25 18:17:07
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    Have bombed and bombed. But the 14 day cycle is something I have to do. What about yard?
  • reality... sick'n'... 2011/09/25 18:25:10
    realityjunkie
    +2
    I did the house and the yard every 14 days. We had a BIG problem too. To find where most of the fleas were, I walked the house and yard with white socks. Fleas are attracted and will jump on. If you have an area where you have a bigger infestation, bomb/spray there.
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2011/09/25 17:57:40
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +2
    Get rid of the dog? I own a landsape service... Fleas are hard to get rid of... Flea colar? Or maybe try once and done bug killers... I simply just decided not to have pets.
  • sick'n'... SteveMa... 2011/09/25 18:17:50
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    My wife and I both are at that point.
  • SteveMa... sick'n'... 2011/09/25 18:20:02
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +2
    I mean once the fleas get into the house... Hell I've herd of people having to remove their damn carpet over it... And I just couldn't handle that... My mother had a flea problem.... She used 7dust and it seemed to work...she even put a little on the cats... and the cats are still alive amd healthy... I dunno man... Fleas are a pain in the ass.
  • sick'n'... SteveMa... 2011/09/25 18:37:07
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    Effing huge pain in the ass!
  • fairief... sick'n'... 2011/09/26 04:47:50
    +1
    Aw, please don't do that :(
    There are so many animals who are looking for homes, please don't add more for them to compete with.
    I know fleas are really awful this year but hopefully next year will be better. I plan to try the Comfortis that people keep suggesting on here. Same with the bombing 3 times. This is a good question that you asked and I'm sure others will appreciate learning some solutions, as well. Which is why I chose to share this question.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2011/09/25 17:52:07
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +3
    Move to North Dakota!! We don't have fleas up here...however in the summer dogs can get the occasional woodtick...I'd rather deal with woodticks than fleas
  • sick'n'... Bob, th... 2011/09/25 18:18:56
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    Any construction jobs there? Heard oil is big. Anything there?
  • Bob, th... sick'n'... 2011/09/25 18:46:18
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +2
    Construction is big time going on all around the state...our state has to recruit people from other states to fill the void....some towns are even providing free housing for people willing to stay!!! Our winters kind of suck and it's hard to attract new citizens or new workers...
  • fairief... Bob, th... 2011/09/26 04:49:57
    +1
    I like the idea of ND in the summer....and somewhere warmer in the winter..hmm San Diego, NOLA, Northern FL, etc :)
  • Yankee Traveler 2011/09/25 17:43:52
    Yankee Traveler
    +3
    I feed my animals Brewers Yeast. I sprinkle about a table spoon on their food and mix it in. It doesn't kill them it keeps all bugs off of them. For the house I used Bombs every friggen room in the house.....from the basement up. If you have a dirt basement or a crawl space they may be coming from the sand. Put Bug Bombs everywhere. Remove all the animals and cover dishes and things that will be touched or used by you or your animals. I Bombed twice with vacuuming in between and also dispose of your vacuum bags. Worked for me
  • sick'n'... Yankee ... 2011/09/25 18:20:48
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    Done that. I think I am not on the right cycle from what I'm reading. Thanks.
  • Moonbeams 2011/09/25 17:40:18
    Moonbeams
    +4
    Just treating your dogs, is only treating half the problem. By now, I'm not surprised if the fleas have attached themselves to carpets and other nearby Upholstery. Your best bet would be to take your Dogs to the Veterinarian, and get a Professional; thorough flea dip-- whilst treating your home for existing flea problems. That way, Both will be properly treated, making you rid the problem, more effectively.
  • sick'n'... Moonbeams 2011/09/25 18:22:38
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    I think it is the yard and they bring them in. I am getting great info and responses. Thank you.
  • Q 2011/09/25 17:38:59
    Q
    +2
    Been there done that, all you can do is use a product like Frontline, spray your yard and limit exposure to other pets. Usually it works but one year I could not get rid of them no matter what I did, it was a miserable year for both me and my dog.

Best of luck!
    http://www.doyourownpestcontr...
  • sick'n'... Q 2011/09/25 18:23:47
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +3
    Thanks. Petstore says everyone is having problems.
  • Q sick'n'... 2011/09/25 18:28:27
    Q
    +2
    Good luck, I had my bordercollie for just under 19 years and there was only one year that I could not get rid of the fleas no matter what I tried, this must be one of those years for your dog, poor little fellow:(
  • sick'n'... Q 2011/09/25 18:38:23
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    Thanks. She is a Husky and she is miserable.
  • Shae 2011/09/25 17:30:04
    Shae
    +2
    GOOD LUCK!!! That's all I can say.... I lived in FL and would take my dogs to the dog beach which was infested with fleas.... Lets just say it took a good year, year and a half to get rid of all those fleas.
  • sick'n'... Shae 2011/09/25 18:24:15
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    Oooohhhh nnnoooo!!!!!!!
  • Shae sick'n'... 2011/09/25 19:20:03
    Shae
    +2
    I read above you have a husky...... even more good luck..... their fur doesn't allow for frontline to work because its so thick that it only helps the two spots you put the drops.....
    Try Comfortis.... its an oral pill and covers the whole body... helped my husky tremendously!
    comfortis flea
  • ☆Ed☆ 2011/09/25 17:17:50
    ☆Ed☆
    +3
    The VERY BEST thing we found is from our vet. It is strictly a flea pill, and you can SEE it start working within an hour of giving it to your dog!!! It is a bit pricey,($10 per pill, and they need a pill each month of flea season) BUT IT WORKS!!! You need to give them the pill on a full stomach because it is so strong, but WOW, what results!!! As for fleas in the home, sprinkle table salt heavily across ALL of your carpets, including UNDER ALL beds, and let it sit for a couple of days, and then THOROUGHLY vacuum. (the salt will not only kill the fleas that are in your carpet, but will also destroy the fleas EGGS)

We have 7 dogs and 3 years ago we had a flea infestation, both on each dog, and in the house too. Since using the salt, and starting them on the flea pill, we have not had a single bit of trouble since!!! You can safely give your dogs the pill year around, or, if you have as many as we do, you can save some money by only giving it during flea season. If you decide to give only during flea season, all you need to do is keep an eye on your dog(s) for the first sign of fleas and then start treating them with the pill. From what I understand, the pill somehow changes the taste and smell of the dogs blood, and IMMEDIATELY gets the fleas to leave the dog. Our vet said that it is for fleas ONLY, but, we have found that it seems to keep the ticks off just as well as it does the fleas!!!

I hope this helps you.
  • sick'n'... ☆Ed☆ 2011/09/25 18:26:59
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +3
    We tried Capstar that kills them, but doesn't last. Thanks for the advice. Salt I can afford.
  • Scooter sick'n'... 2011/09/25 18:33:26
    Scooter
    +2
    I've tried Capstar as well. It just kills the adult fleas I think, then the luttle buggers hatch out and we have to start all over. It kind of worries me all this stuff is a bit harmful to my pets. I am afraid I am going to OD them or something!
  • ☆Ed☆ sick'n'... 2011/09/26 03:44:52
    ☆Ed☆
    The salt dries the fleas to death, and also dries the eggs so that they die also.
  • Scooter 2011/09/25 17:04:49
    Scooter
    +2
    Boy, that's a good question...Same here! I have been fighting them all summer and they will not die!! As soon as it frosts, I am going to bug bomb my house and hope that will get rid of them. I think they have become immune to all the stuff or something!!
  • sick'n'... Scooter 2011/09/25 18:28:30
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    That is what petstore says. Nothing is working for others too. Thanks.
  • Scooter sick'n'... 2011/09/25 18:34:30
    Scooter
    +2
    If you find something that works, I'd like to know!

2014/04/17 09:22:56