How do you get rid of fleas? My poor dogs. I have used Frontline, Advantage, shampoos,and dips. In the yard I have tried Seven, Ortho, Bayer Advanced and still can't get rid of them. Suggestions please!

sick'n'tired PWCM 2011/09/25 16:29:27
Related Topics: Dogs, Dog, Poor, Shampoo, Yard

• Red 2011/09/25 16:31:43
    Red
    +5
    Baking Soda .....put it on your rugs and vaccum it up....they hate it.

• Robyn 2014/03/13 06:26:00
    Robyn
    +2
    I have used Frontline religiously every month until it stopped working, now used Comfortis twice less than a week apart and still have flees. Now getting them on the furniture that has never happened before. I'll give the Dawn a go, is that an available in Aus, I don't think I have seen it before.
  • sick'n'... Robyn 2014/03/13 13:44:59
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    That is EXACTLY what happened to me. Take my advice, call the exterminator. I spent $300 on all the "home remedies" that didn't work. Sprays, bombs, powders, and dips. Get rid of them in your house and yard first then do your pets. My exterminator was $175 and guaranteed as many trips as necessary to get rid of them. Then a 4 week follow up. That is what worked for me.
  • Teresa 2014/02/25 23:24:27 (edited)
  • danielle.patterson.39566 2014/01/28 18:10:28 (edited)
    danielle.patterson.39566
    +2
    I simply use one formula that I got from Amazon. All you have to do is read these reviews and you'll understand why I bought it to get rid of fleas: http://amzn.to/MpZ7i1 - My 5 star should be on there as well. This stuff works.
  • Rhonda 2013/11/20 18:46:48
    Rhonda
    +1
    I gave my dog the cheese, and he loves cheese :) I only give him cheese 2 days out of the week, and I will definitely use the dawn for bathing him. I do not have a bad problem with fleas. I also bathe my dog with a cup of baking soda in his bath water. I sprinkle baking soda on my carpet also. Maybe, that is why I do not have a bad problem with fleas.
  • ph 2013/09/25 23:44:03
    ph
    +1
    Bathe in dawn dish soap, rinse good, dont get in eyes.
    Vacumn everyday everywhere.
    Use a lint roller to get rid of eggs works best on short hair. Throw away after use and dump out vacumn in outside garbage. Keep using roller until little specs are gone. Eggs keep hatching for weeks and are hard to get rid of vacumn under couches and everything. Wash all dirty clothes and bedding laying around and on bed. Treat yard if really bad. And wet rugs outside get rid of, they can live in them. If bombing house make sure to get all animals out and read all directions. And vacumn very well after. Sprinkle borax on carpet before vacumning
  • Lucy smith 2013/08/06 16:02:14
    Lucy smith
    +1
    In no this sounds stupid but I'm 15 and got a dog and he don't stop scratching so I feed him cheese and it all went because there something in a dog sis tome that don't like cheese and it kills the fleas but don't give your dog to much
  • sick'n'... Lucy smith 2013/08/06 20:49:25
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    Cheese. Really? I will try it. I ended up having to call the exterminator. That worked.
  • Medusa 2013/06/13 03:47:27
    Medusa
    +4
    I used Dawn dish soap. Have never used flea drops again. Plus Dawn is safe to use.
  • Alex W 2012/09/29 03:49:36 (edited)
    Alex W
    +2
    We are trying everything we have a 6 month old yorkie mutt and a 12 year old black lab. Using frontline - bathing - bombing house - spot spraying - garlic spray - buzzing the little girl but can not get rid of them on the yorkie the lab seems fine - not to mention spraying the yard
  • sick'n'... Alex W 2012/09/30 01:42:48
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    It started all over again this year. After trying again nothing worked. Call your exterminator. That is what worked for me.
  • Charles E 2011/10/04 20:46:29
    Charles E
    +1
    Place tobacco leaves under their beds.
    It is more efficient as a flea killer than as a people killer.
  • sick'n'... Charles E 2011/10/04 22:23:21
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    Seriously?
  • Charles E sick'n'... 2011/10/05 12:41:52
    Charles E
    Works for cats. Not positive about dogs, but seems reasonable.
    You need full leaf, which may be hard to get.
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/03 07:33:12
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    try epestsupply .com on the internet. You can get stuff that actually works. (depending on what state you live in. They also have accurate how to pages.
  • La 2011/09/27 15:02:21
    La
    +1
    Not sure, our dogs don't get fleas. If they don't shed, make sure you cut their hair short? That might help with your attempts.....
  • pjwinkler65 2011/09/27 03:29:34
    pjwinkler65
    +2
    The best thing I have found for the yard is the crystals that you put out and water, it works for months. I use frontline and it keeps my dogs pretty much flea free but I dislike the smell and the way it can get on whatever they roll around on that first day that it is applied. I am definitely going to try the Comfortis after I inquire about side effects.
    If you are having so much issue getting rid of them it may not be your problem. If you put down stuff to get rid of them and the house next door is infested they are just going to keep coming arent they?
    Honestly, you might want to speak with a professional. It sounds like you may have already spent what it might cost to have a pro do it for you.
  • wtxwoman 2011/09/26 17:14:12
    wtxwoman
    +4
    You have to make two applications of whatever bug killer you are using, two weeks apart. Otherwise, they will keep hatching and yuou'll never get rid of them.
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2011/09/26 16:39:13
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +4
    Do a lot of vacuuming-- that kills them. If your dogs don't mind, vacuum their fur as well as floor, rugs, etc. Do this about 3 times a day for 3 weeks-- the persistence will pay off. And bathe your dogs once a week for that amount of time, too, from head to toe, check ears, and scrub underbelly.
  • LittleMistersMom 2011/09/26 16:21:41
    LittleMistersMom
    +4
    In addition to some of the other advice on here that sounds good, give your animal a garlic supplement every day. Something in it keeps the fleas off your pet.
  • Coco Allie 2011/09/26 15:42:45
    Coco Allie
    +3
    Flea comb, bathe your dog in Dawn but most importantly, if those fleas just won't go away you can go to your vet and ask for this pill that you give your dog once and it kills all the fleas. My dog had fleas for months, and whenever we got rid of them they came back. We heard about that pill and bam, no more fleas since then.
  • ELLIE 2011/09/26 10:20:59
    ELLIE
    +3
    In our home it is always the cat that drags in the fleas.... The dogs then get infested and it takes forever to get rid of those fleas.

I just treat the cat with Frontline and it takes care of any renewed infestations.My dogs I treat with lots of grooming and one dose of anti flea spray ( they both have an allergic reaction to anything stronger).Also washing the bedding on a high temperature helps.

Thank fully this only happens once a year,so I can deal with it.
  • 8mariedawn6 2011/09/26 08:16:14
    8mariedawn6
    +2
    Get you a bar of Ivory soap and wash your dog in it a suds him up real good with the Ivory soap then rinse him or her off and the soap will paralyze them long enough for you to pick them off and get ride of them.But it will not keep him from getting more.The vet has flea med that you can get besides front line try anouther one.Or get you a razor and shave off his ferrari.
  • pjwinkl... 8maried... 2011/09/27 03:11:16
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    shave off his ferrari?
  • Paige 2011/09/26 05:42:46
    Paige
    +1
    Wish I knew and could help you.....if you find something that works, let everyone know will you? It is that time of year and I have 2 dogs. No signs of fleas yet on them, but you never know with those little buggers
  • sick'n'... Paige 2011/09/26 20:28:08
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    I will. That's a promise because I wouldn't wish anyone to go through this.
  • Paige sick'n'... 2011/09/26 21:14:35
    Paige
    +1
    Thanks......I wish you all the luck in the world!! I know it's difficult enough getting them off the dogs and then you have to worry about the house too!
  • out damned spot 2011/09/26 05:32:24
  • sick'n'... out dam... 2011/09/26 20:29:09
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    Only to see if there are any left after treating a room. Thanks.
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2011/09/26 04:19:50
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +4
    Fleas seem to be immortal and invincible this year. We've done everything to try and get rid of them including bombing the house...they just won't go away!
    I know several other people have had lots of problems this year. I think it has to do with the weather and storms and stuff.
    Hopefully they will die away in the winter and next summer won't be this bad.
  • BAMACRU... fairief... 2011/09/26 05:34:13 (edited)
    BAMACRUSADER
    +3
    I'm telling you, COMFORTIS. You will be shocked and mad because you haven't used this stuff before. And it has been around for at least a few years and no one really knows about it.
  • fairief... BAMACRU... 2011/09/26 16:46:16
    +2
    Yeah, I saw a few of you mentioning it and I'm def going to try it :)
  • pjwinkl... BAMACRU... 2011/09/27 03:17:58
    pjwinkler65
    Thank you. I had not heard of that yet. I am surprised that my vet has not mentioned it to me. I have a wee Yorkie who is allergic and has to take allergy meds and sometimes even get shots which can be hard on their heart.
  • Robyn BAMACRU... 2014/03/13 06:29:08
    Robyn
    +2
    I've used Comfortis and it hasnt worked. Gave it to both dogs twice less than a week apart and they still have flees. Not as bad, but still there
  • BAMACRU... fairief... 2011/09/26 05:37:02
    BAMACRUSADER
    +5
    By now, you probably think I am a salesman for this stuff. But here is a link below to their site. Give it a try, and you will never have to worry about them again. Within 2 days, they'll all be gone.

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com...
  • pjwinkl... BAMACRU... 2011/09/27 03:19:11
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    What about side effects? Is there danger of organ damage or anything that you are aware of?
  • BAMACRU... pjwinkl... 2011/09/27 07:41:04
    BAMACRUSADER
    +2
    None that I am aware of. My dog weighs about 20 lbs and is currently 12 years old. When he was about 6 years old, he had a pancreatic attack and almost died. He has had to be on a special diet every since and he has had no problems from the comfortis. I have been giving it to him about 3 years now.
  • pjwinkl... BAMACRU... 2011/09/27 17:05:54
    pjwinkler65
    wonderful news. I'm really genuinely grateful for your share. I have a Yorkie who is allergic to everything, even himself I think. lol
    One flea bite gives him hot hives and he is miserable and then has to go get a shot which as I'm sure you know, is some kind of steroid and not good for him since he has a heart murmur anyway.
    Ya ever notice, the more you pay for a dog, the more defective it is? My poor wee Angus MacSweety.
  • BAMACRU... pjwinkl... 2011/09/27 18:37:57
    BAMACRUSADER
    Yeah, my mom had a couple of Westies. the male was impotent and retarded. I really think that breeds are bred too close.
  • Ree Cee BAMACRU... 2013/07/19 04:09:20
    Ree Cee
    +3
    I have a seven year old Pomeranian who weights seven pounds. I have used comfortis three times and it does not work!

2014/08/31 07:31:24