How do you get eye drops into a dog's eyes?

Nuggs 2009/05/08 15:23:19
Like this....
Other...
Our border terrier has hayfever and needs eye drops every day...he hates it and I hate having to do it...any ideas??? By the way I have to do it by myself!

• Raymond 2009/05/10 12:32:42
    Like this....
    Raymond
    +1
    Welcome to the club!!

Three of our eleven dogs need daily eyedrops and we have been doing this for four and a half years now. One has gotten used to it and is very easy.....the other two not so easy. Glacier hides under the coffee table and Sonny does whatever he can to escape, and then holds his eyes shut as tight as he can when finally caught. ....so I know what a pain this can be.

We have it worked out that drops get done before evening treats are dispersed, so they know that once it's over with there is something good coming. That's the first thing.

Apart from that, it's simply a matter not accepting no for an answer. I'll get Sonny cornered, grab his head, with the rest of his body between my legs, use one hand to open his eye and hold his snoot, and the other to give the drop. I do it quick so he doesn't have time to know what hit him......then I praise the heck out of him and give him his treat. Same with Glacier, but sometimes I have to drag her butt out from under the table first......which can be quite a pain when she decides not to move.....sometimes I just have to crawl under there with her and force the issue.

In time you will get used to it.....and hopefully so will your dog. Pooh has resigned himself and will even come over and sit down when I tell him it is time for drops. He was not like that at first, not even close.

Good Luck!!
  • Nuggs Raymond 2009/05/10 13:26:15
    Nuggs
    +1
    Thank you - sounded soooo familiar!! Basil has incredible strength in his eyelids and refuses to open. I hate pulling his lids apart....treats, chicken, all his favourites...nothing works!!
  • Raymond Nuggs 2009/05/10 14:11:23
    Raymond
    +1
    If he flat will not open his eye, and you cannot pry it open......which, when we started I hated to do as well........if you can get it just partially open, just a gap in the eyelid......go ahead and put the drop in and hold his head back. Sometimes Pooh will close his eye just as the drop goes in, but if I hold his head back and kind of gently massage the lid around, the drop finds it's way in. His medicine is for glaucoma....he already lost one eye to it....and it is extremely expensive.....like 80 dollars for .5 fluid ounce......so we work hard to make sure not a drop gets wasted.

By the way, Basil.....LOVE the name!!!!
  • Nuggs Raymond 2009/05/10 15:25:55
    Nuggs
    +1
    Your dogs look amazing!! How many do you have?

I know what you mean about the eye drops they are sooooo expensive and Basil is really good at shaking his head the minute you think they have gone in! He needs them for allergies but he also has cataracts and he is only 3 and a half...he's a real teddy bear and definitely a mummy's boy!

Basil is named after Basil Fawlty (John Cleese's character in Fawlty Towers) I had english cocker spaniels before (called Bramble and Rowan) which suited them as they are gun dogs and used in the country...Borders are major personalities and for boy dogs only a man's name will do! We know a Fred, Stan, Alfie and a Nobby - all borders! Your dogs' names are spectacular, but then again so are they!!!
  • Raymond Nuggs 2009/05/10 15:57:40 (edited)
    Raymond
    I LOVE that show!!

We have eleven right now.....God help us. We've had as many as sixteen at one time. For several years we did intensive care for a local Husky rescue......we took in the ones that were really sick or who had been terribly abused and needed a lot more attention than they could get at the main shelter. That's why some of the dogs in those pictures are shown terribly thin......a couple of them could not even stand up when they came to us.

We've had more than sixty come through. Most were nursed back to health, their trust restored, and we found extra special loving homes for them. We keep in contact with most all of the adopters and get regular updates, so we cry a lot around here seeing how happy and healthy they are after what they suffered. The eleven we have now, down from twelve after Isis died a few months back, are, for the most part, ones that either had special medical needs we did not trust anyone to keep up with, or were so terribly abused that after they got to trust us we simply could not make them go out again and go through that trauma. The one in my avatar, for example, Shazam!, was starved, beaten mercilessly, and then hung by the neck by a bunch of drug addicts, just for fun. He nearly died and spent three weeks in the hospital before he could...''''

''''

I LOVE that show!!

We've had more than sixty come through. Most were nursed back to health, their trust restored, and we found extra special loving homes for them. We keep in contact with most all of the adopters and get regular updates, so we cry a lot around here seeing how happy and healthy they are after what they suffered. The eleven we have now, down from twelve after Isis died a few months back, are, for the most part, ones that either had special medical needs we did not trust anyone to keep up with, or were so terribly abused that after they got to trust us we simply could not make them go out again and go through that trauma. The one in my avatar, for example, Shazam!, was starved, beaten mercilessly, and then hung by the neck by a bunch of drug addicts, just for fun. He nearly died and spent three weeks in the hospital before he could come home to us. He was so scared of me when we first met that he could not hold his bowells. It just absolutely broke my heart and made me so angry I could not see straight. It took many months for him to even begin to trust me or even come near me. We went through a terrible phase when he attacked some of the other dogs......several trips to the vet and some torn ears later we were able to get past that, thank God.......and now he doesn't even know he is a dog. He looks just like a wolf, but he is actualy a Husky German Shepard Mix.......scares the hell out of people who drive by, so we don't have to worry about intruders. Everybody wants to know where we got 'the wolf', and we do not dispel the illusion........we just have to be very careful to keep the fence in good order so they do not shoot him.

We had to stop taking in dogs because of a jerk of a landowner who wanted to have them put down......but that's another story.....it's on one of those questions of mine that nobody dares answer. I suppose it's for the best because we ive in a tiny cabin in the mountains....just 625 square feet, and with all these dogs, well.....it's hard to walk from one side of the room to the other.....and the rainy season, with all that mud, is just awful. Who knows how many we would have if we kept it up!! Now we just donate whatever we can to the rescue and my wife goes out there to feed and clean up from time to time. People know us as the dog people and they drop off old beds, dog houses, fencing, kennels, whatever, and we take them out to the shelter.

I suppose you can tell by my rambling on that we really love dogs.....we REALLY love dogs, ALL dogs........prefer them by far to people.
  • Nuggs Raymond 2009/05/10 15:44:00
    Nuggs
    +1
    I've uploaded a couple of pictures of Basil just in case you have a second...
  • Raymond Nuggs 2009/05/10 16:04:33
    Raymond
    +1
    I'm on my way.......
  • Raymond Nuggs 2009/05/10 16:16:18
    Raymond
    +1
    He's a spectacularly hadsome young man!! For some reason SH won't let me give raves for your pictures though. Is that something new and stupid they have done, I wonder?

Oh well, he's a handsome man, and obviously very lucky to have a mother who loves him so much. I've seen plenty of people who get rid of their dogs...just drop them off like yesterdays trash......over something like the need for eye drops. Glad to see Basil will not have to worry about that!!
  • Nuggs Raymond 2009/05/10 17:02:29
    Nuggs
    +1
    Wow, you guys are amazing....our second spaniel was a rescue dog. A woman bought him on a whim without telling her husband and didn't know how to look after him and didn't feed him properly. His back leg muscles weren't developed properly and we have no idea what her teenage son did to him, but Rowan hated teenagers for the longest time.

He was a fabulous companion and I still miss him terribly. The vet that he went to when he died was awful and wouldn't let me say goodbye to him. So my poor dog died on his own thinking that we didn't care. I will never forgive that vet and he was subsequently struck off for other things (which actually made me feel worse). I am crying now as it still breaks my heart and it was 9 years ago that we lost him.

It took my husband 6 years to talk me round to getting another dog (it was his turn to choose - I wanted another rescue dog) and he has always wanted a border terrier.

Basil also has a problem with his front leg, but this time I won't leave him when he goes to the vet (a different one of course!) and was there waiting when he came round from his neutering!! Every test that he has had done for his eyes I have stuck to him like glue so he knows that I won't ever leave him.

I cannot understand anyone that can hurt a dog, or any animal for tha...'

'

I cannot understand anyone that can hurt a dog, or any animal for that matter. I am not a vegetarian (perhaps I should be!!) but I think you know what I mean. We also have a guinea pig and I couldn't bear for that to be cold outside so she lives in the kitchen above the dog! Acts as an amazing fridge alarm! She is coming up for 9 years old - not a bad age for a rodent!!

I know what you mean about dogs and people. It is a real privilege to have one share your life...but you are doing an amazing job restoring an animal's trust and giving it love when it probably thought that there was nothing. I salute and thank you...if I lived nearer I would be dropping things off for you too!!
  • Raymond Nuggs 2009/05/12 21:24:42
    Raymond
    +1
    Wow Nuggs....that was damn beautiful. It is I who salute you. We are no different from you, We just had the ability and the oportunity to do what we have done.....asolutely nothing speacial here, we just love animals. Besides we get paid back with so much love every day we can hardly stand it,not to mention the laughs with all these personalities in one household; the anitcs here are absolutely endless.

When I was growing up we had a cocker spaniel by the name of Dudley. I still get teary eyed when I think about him.....he was my very best buddy in the whole world, and even though it has been over twenty years since he died......I miss him so much, I cannot tell you. I'm getting all teary just thinking about......so I better stop!

Will you add me as a soda head? I'd love to talk again. I see you have met my dear friend sierra......I am surprised she's not left a comment here.......and added her. You will find no greater champion for animals than that one.

A great big hug to you....and one for Sir Basil as well!!

2014/07/24 15:31:04