How do you explain to a poor child why Santa brought the rich children more presents?

thegalnextdoor 2011/12/09 07:03:16
Related Topics: Kids, Poor, Kid, Bully
Honestly, what would one say to a young child who wants to know why Santa didn't bring him/her the list they prepared while another got more presents than the other kid, a bully, got more. Kids are not blind.

• QuakerBoots 2012/02/15 00:17:22
    Honey, Santa gave more to them than you because....
    QuakerBoots
    ugh, santa is a horrible tradition. telling your kids a MAGICAL elf comes into your house, leaves packages under the house plant, eats your food, and does this at EVERY Christian kids' house in one night? thats like telling them its a sin for two people of the same gender to get married.
  • chrisjay 2012/01/13 18:44:12
    other:
    chrisjay
    +1
    Yourfavoritemartian already covered this subject ...."Santa Hates Poor Kids" lol (check it out on youtube)
  • Dave In Cali 2011/12/29 16:29:52
    Dave In Cali
    +1
    He's an elitist prick, just like all the other dummies that run around in pointed hats.
  • thegaln... Dave In... 2011/12/29 17:08:55
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    remind me not to send my kids over to your place for instruction as we don't talk that way... but I do get your point, I think... thanks for answering...
  • Dave In... thegaln... 2011/12/29 17:32:45
    Dave In Cali
    Haha! Sorry if I offend.
  • thegaln... Dave In... 2011/12/29 17:48:58
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    I got over it and (lol) the dollars in the jar for a bad word will come in handy down the road.... sorry for responding the way I did.. I really did want an answer as my kid was never told by me about the mythical Santa ... I didn't want to lie to her.... and I was wondering how others handled the situation. Our kids (a friend and I) even paid anywhere from a quarter to five dollars for certain language... believe me they cleaned it up... as did their friends... but like I said, I got over the language....
  • Dave In... thegaln... 2011/12/29 17:59:16
    Dave In Cali
    Well, in case my answer wasn't a big enough clue, my parents were very blunt and unorthodox. They told me Santa was a myth when I asked them about it as a kid. And my father - being Black and born in the South during the 1930's added that "if I should see any White guy in a pointed hat sneaking around the house, shoot him". It's funny, when you look at it from a historical point of view.

I would just tell your kid the truth, though. Santa = Mom/Dad went to the store.
  • thegaln... Dave In... 2011/12/29 18:11:18
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    nuff said, you're talking to the gal who has a Hebrew auto tag driving past the area that is a NorthCentral meeting area for the 'white men in a white pointed hat sorority' I've had all sorts of things painted on my garage and cars ... I understand what you mean by "shoot 'em" ... would you believe I "asked for" (by showing interest in it) and got a lighted angel with a black face and hands for one of my Hanukkah presents? She's a beautiful addition to my doll collection....
  • Dave In... thegaln... 2011/12/29 18:12:39
    Dave In Cali
    +1
    Makes sense. Judaism encompasses all races, too. :)
  • thegaln... Dave In... 2011/12/29 18:17:37
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    good idea: I would just tell your kid the truth, though. Santa = Mom/Dad went to the store. How about taking the kids to the store...and saying something like "show me what you want for Christmas" and making mental notes and then going back to get some of it later... and on this trip helping the child pack a shoe box for a kid in a war torn area..(being "Santa" for that kid)
  • Dave In... thegaln... 2011/12/29 18:22:59
    Dave In Cali
    That's a nice touch, too. Unless you're broke, of course.
  • thegaln... Dave In... 2011/12/29 18:39:06
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    true... but while you're shopping, you put a limit on things and say, "that costs too much" so the kid picks stuff in your price range.... I did a similar thing with Easter baskets...
  • caroline 2011/12/27 21:41:21
    other:
    caroline
    +1
    what i'd like to know is why my husband and i both work our butts off and struggle to buy our kids gifts and yet we know lots of bone idle wasters who sponge off the state and have spent a fortune on their kids this year and they haven't had to worry about where the money is going to come from.
  • divine.shona 2011/12/23 20:44:16
    Honey, there is no Santa. Mom and Dad buy the gifts.
    divine.shona
    +1
    Firstly i would never lie to my kids about a paganized holiday and tradition, i would simply tell my kid We his parents are the ones who buy and give the presents and that santa clause is not real and that he is a symbol of paganism
  • thegaln... divine.... 2011/12/24 05:47:50
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    Me too... various amounts of info at various ages but even then a less than two year old can be told that Mommy and Daddy buy the presents...and that we give presents because wise men brought presents to baby Jesus. Thanks for answering (and not just because we agree)
  • retrograve 2011/12/23 18:08:18
    other:
    retrograve
    "Well the other mommies and daddy can afford better cookies and milk then we can..."
    or "Honey, we're just broke as hell and Santa knows it."
  • thegaln... retrograve 2011/12/23 18:41:37
    thegalnextdoor
    okay... but then "if Santa makes the toys and brings them to all kids why does us being broke make any difference." what I am trying to get at is that as adults we lie to kids about Santa and other things (tooth fairy, spring bunny, etc) and then want them to trust us? Which is what brought up this question. I guess in a way, if there are pistachio ccokies and egg nog with kick for Santa it would merit a bigger gift or more gifts.

Thanks for answering.
  • BabyGirl 2011/12/23 14:42:14
    BabyGirl
    those presents are full of rats and they get rats because they being bad hehehe
  • thegaln... BabyGirl 2011/12/29 17:11:10
    thegalnextdoor
    uh, okay.... thanks for answering.... I'm sure that NintendoDS that Johnny really wanted is a rat....
  • Pat 2011/12/23 04:33:51
    other:
    +1
    Honestly, I don't know. It would be a very, very hard thing to explain to any child.
  • thegaln... Pat 2011/12/23 07:10:51
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    that's why I asked the question... and I guess that next question would be how do you tell a child that you've lied to them for the last six or seven years and why should they trust you about anything now?
  • Crystal thegaln... 2011/12/26 21:28:01
    Crystal
    +1
    I really don't think that's going to be such a problem as people think it would be when they debate the issue.

I caught my mom putting the presents under the tree when I was 5 and she tried to lie that she was just arranging them, but she was really not convincing. So from then on, we just pretended that Santa was real, but without the actual belief (she never really admitted that Santa wasn't real, but we both knew, it was actually quite fun, a game between us). I don't remember caring one way or the other if it was Santa or mom giving the presents.

Since I grew up in communist Romania when there was not such an abundance of toys as there is now, it was really a good thing that they didn't have to explain the reason why Santa couldn't afford to give me all the gifts I wanted.
  • thegaln... Crystal 2011/12/28 07:21:10
    thegalnextdoor
    thanks for answering... you're comments add to our discussion...
  • **StarzAbove** 2011/12/23 02:31:25 (edited)
    other:
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    How would they even know that someone got more unless they were told. My kids were always happy with what Santa left them. And they never counted their presents.
  • thegaln... **Starz... 2011/12/23 07:13:00
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    kids talk and kids today watch TV and the standard seems to be LOTS of presents under the tree... I remember going to school and show and tell or talk time was to share what you got for Christmas...
  • ghostrider 2011/12/23 01:04:32
    ghostrider
    +2
    .... the rich always can afford to bribe anyone to get a 'better deal.'
  • thegaln... ghostrider 2011/12/23 07:13:41
    thegalnextdoor
    interesting...thanks for answering...
  • ghostrider thegaln... 2011/12/23 17:50:24
    ghostrider
    +1
    You're welcome ... of course, that's my explanation ... I'm certain there are others.
  • thy-lady-x 2011/12/23 00:40:21
    other:
    thy-lady-x
    +1
    I really don't know how I'd explain it. I never really needed it explained to me, about Santa not being real. Never stopped Mom from labelling something "from Santa", even to this day. Its just a silly thing she does still.

We were always strapped for cash, but Mom always managed to get my brother and I at least one 'big' thing on our lists. Which, I never really asked for anything really large, ever. I think that growing up with as little money as we had, I just, never felt the need to have more than we did. I knew my mom spent a lot of money on me all year for medical expenses, I couldn't ask for more than that.

I dunno, I think pooer kids figure it out on their own a lot sooner that Santa isn't real, without someone having to explain.
  • thegaln... thy-lady-x 2011/12/23 07:15:35
    thegalnextdoor
    maybe so... poor kids figure it out sooner... thanks for answering
  • reg 2011/12/23 00:31:36
    other:
    reg
    +4
    i dont think this happens until a child is about 7 or 8. when i was very young britain was controled by ration books. even if you had money there was only so much you could have although there was the black market of course for those with money. but as for me.....i was happy to get one present and i thought i was lucky. i was b rought up by my gran....long story....... i never had sweets as i never got pocket money.....gran only had enough to feed us and when i was given a sweet or bought some i thought santa had come in the middle of the year. children today expect too much. they see it on the tele and dont understand that it has to be paid for. when they get older the feeling of being left out breeds resentment and they steal from others to get what they want. today, jobs are almost non-existant no mattter what our goverment says...... my neighbours lad, who WANTS to work, has tried 1203 times for a job and has only had 50 interviews......guess what? only eastern euros were chosen...i wonder why? it's said because our youngster dont want to work....rubbish! it's because the eastern euros take what wage they are given as it is 3 times what they get back in latvia or bulgaia or poland etc:. and the bosses love it as they get the work done for peanuts!.
  • thegaln... reg 2011/12/23 07:19:24
    thegalnextdoor
    +2
    My mom grew up during the Great Depression in a rural area... because of gardens they always had food and since Grandpa was a butcher there was always at least a little meat... however, many years they were happy to get an orange for Christmas...
  • Cat 1017 2011/12/22 23:43:01
    Cat 1017
    +1
    If you never use the lie then you wouldn't have that problem.....Just say Santa is a fictious character retailers use to make money.....
  • JCD aka "biz" 2011/12/22 22:45:08
    other:
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    Start talking to them about the greedy "1%". It's never too early to begin.
  • La 2011/12/22 22:22:11
    La
    +2
    This is actually a really good question. I don't think I would tell my kids about the Santa thing unless I could afford presents for them.
  • thegaln... La 2011/12/23 07:21:52
    thegalnextdoor
    thanks I thought it was good question too... thanks for answering... my follow up question would be "how do you explain Santa to your child?"
  • La thegaln... 2011/12/24 00:40:21
    La
    +1
    I would explain that other parents pretend there is a man called Santa and use him to make their kids behave leading up til xmas, but that man doesn't really exist and the kids grow up and find out sooner or later.

Am I the only one seeing the connections here? ;)
  • thegaln... La 2011/12/24 05:49:44
    thegalnextdoor
    I'm not sure... I think some others have seen the connection and the implications of lying to our kids... why should our kids trust us when we've lied to them time and time again....and then we expect them to NOT lie to us????
  • er54c 2011/12/22 22:05:22
  • thegaln... er54c 2011/12/23 07:26:38
    thegalnextdoor
    thanks for answering.. that's rather my point -- so how does one explain that to a kid - and how do you finally come clean that Santa doesn't exist?

2014/08/23 11:40:23