How do you cope with losing a beloved pet?

Selkie 2010/05/06 08:07:04
Yes, this is what I did. . .
Yes, but I'm still alone & hurting. . .
Other. . . .
My precious, beautiful dog Seamus died suddenly today. He was an old boy but was still full of life. He was home, with me by his side. My heart is shattered. I knew it was coming eventually but he wasn't even sick! I know he is in a better place & is running free in the fields by the Rainbow Bridge, but I am so heartbroken. Seamus was about as close as I will ever come to having a son. He has been a great comfort & kept me functioning through all of my disabilities & depressions. He got me out of bed on the bad days, & got me out into the world, with him by my side, on the good days. I don't know what I'll do without him.

Have you lost a pet that was so precious to you? If so, how did get through it? Please let me know as I need help. Thanks.

• Casy 2010/05/07 18:52:55 (edited)
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Casy
    +2
    LOOSING MY BELOVED CATS WAS/IS SO HARD....I GRIEVED ALONG TIME THEY WERE MY BUDDY'S AND FRIENDS. "BUMBLEBEE" WAS KILLED BY A DOG WHEN HE WAS 13 YEARS OLD 2 YEARS AGO. THE OTHER "SUNDANCE " HAD A BLADDER BLOCKAGE LAST OCT. HE WAS ONLY 2. I STILL MISS THEM SOOOO MUCH.
    I SAY CRY WHEN YOU NEED TO AND HOLD ON TO THOSE BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES. IN TIME IT GETS BETTER. BUT IT'S A LONG ROAD. I HAVE 2 OTHER CATS NOW, THAT HELPS A LITTLE TOO. HERE IS A PIX OF MY CATS

"BUMBLEBEE" AND "SUNDANCE"

beauitful memories road 2 cats helps pix cats bumblebee sundance

• Callista 2010/07/16 17:24:35
    Other. . . .
    Callista
    I don't have any pets at this time. However, I take care of pets for friends whern they travel. Losing one of them is like losing one of my own. I I always give them a pet sympathy card and picture frame . It is always such a terrible loss. https://secure.psistoreonline... losing pet sympathy card picture frame terrible loss httpssecure psistoreonline losing pet sympathy card picture frame terrible loss httpssecure psistoreonline
  • Quiet Lady 2010/05/14 07:46:48
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Quiet Lady
    +1
    I have lost several horses and dogs. I remember the good times and I truly believe their spirit is with you for as long as you need them. They will protect you and they love you still.
  • Selkie Quiet Lady 2010/05/14 10:56:09
    Selkie
    +1
    That's lovely. Thank you so much.
  • Quiet Lady Selkie 2010/05/14 18:46:10
    Quiet Lady
    +1
    You are welcome and I am sorry for your loss.
    loss
  • FindingHeartInThisCrazy World 2010/05/14 02:54:41
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    FindingHeartInThisCrazy World
    +1
    cried for three months....really really cried non stop...
  • Selkie Finding... 2010/05/14 10:57:49
    Selkie
    +1
    I'm so sorry. But I know exactly what you mean. I wouldn't be getting out of my bed if it weren't for my cats. But I miss him so.
  • Finding... Selkie 2010/05/14 14:19:55
    FindingHeartInThisCrazy World
    +1
    inconsolable...i did not get out of bed very much...he was killed while i was away...i stayed in bed for 2 months
  • j2 2010/05/09 17:46:25
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    j2
    +1
    A got a puppy and she loves me!
  • Casy 2010/05/07 18:52:55 (edited)
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Casy
    +2

"BUMBLEBEE" AND "SUNDANCE"

• Selkie Casy 2010/05/09 13:43:12
    Selkie
    +1
    I'm so sorry they both went badly. That makes it so much harder. They were both so beautiful. And BRAVE! Mine freak out at rain, they'd never do snow!

I'm glad you have new babies to love. My kitties are being such a blessing. My middle girl keeps very close & touches me often. She has even curled up in my arms to lick away my tears. Its so precious it almost makes me cry more.

Thank you for your kind words.
  • Casy Selkie 2010/05/09 14:32:02
    Casy
    +1
    thank you too

• Sparksmom 2010/05/07 18:29:30
    Other. . . .
    Sparksmom
    +2
    I lost my Sparky in Jan. He died at my feet when I was asleep in my chair. We had him for almost 10 yrs. He's a Yorkie mix and the sweetest, funniest most loving little boy I have ever known. We now have another dog, Another mixed breed, she's a small dog also and a real sweety. But I miss my Spark and cry everyday for him. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. But my heart goes out to you. LovYa
  • Selkie Sparksmom 2010/05/09 13:48:43
    Selkie
    +1
    I'm so sorry about your sweet Sparky. That's so young for a small dog! But at least he just went to sleep. That's almost what my Seamus did. He had about an hour or so of a Tummy ache & some hard breathing, then he just went away. Its SOOOoooo quiet without him. Just hearing him being here. I never realized how comforting just having him around me. I guess that's what old married people feel.

Thank you for the kind words. And please accept my own sympathies.
  • Sparksmom Selkie 2010/05/09 19:45:21
    Sparksmom
    That you Selkie, Just know that Seamus will always be with you, just as Spark is for me. LovYa
  • Min Carter 2010/05/07 15:39:49
    Other. . . .
    Min Carter
    +1
    I'm not sure how to deal with the death of a beloved pet. My heart has been broken a few times. I always said that I didn't want anymore pets, but I now have 3 Bichons.
    I am so sorry for your loss! death beloved pet heart broken times pets 3 bichons loss
  • Selkie Min Carter 2010/05/09 13:51:06
    Selkie
    +1
    Thank you so much Min. It means a lot coming from you. I'm glad you have new babies to love & have love you back. God bless. And Happy Mother's Day.
  • Max7 2010/05/07 00:53:23
    Other. . . .
    Max7
    +2
    Animals are like family, and they love more unconditionally; when you loose a animal you pretty much cope the same way you would if it were a family member.
  • Selkie Max7 2010/05/07 06:39:33
    Selkie
    +1
    That is so true. Thanks Max.
  • Max7 Selkie 2010/05/07 23:54:23
    Max7
    You are very welcomed!
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2010/05/07 00:35:57
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +2
    Bourbon and lots of tears!
  • Selkie Texican... 2010/05/07 06:40:31
    Selkie
    +1
    Well, maybe some Bailey's & tears. Or Amaretto. Thanks for the idea RGV. I need something....
  • Poet003 2010/05/07 00:33:33
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Poet003
    +1
    Ravens fed the prophet Elijah.The bible makes a reference to the soul of a turtle dove.
    So theres support for belief for animals in the Judeo-christian world.Wiccans too believe animals have a afterlife.My beloved dog died and I dreamed it was running
    through the shallow waters feeding trees on thebanks of Jordan reaching for my hand.
  • Selkie Poet003 2010/05/07 06:42:46
    Selkie
    +1
    Poet, that was really beautiful. Thank you! I haven't been able to get to a good REM sleep yet. I keep waking up wondering why he isn't snuffling my hand & reaching for him. Then it starts all over again. I am counting on seeing him again!
  • Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^ 2010/05/06 21:17:37
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    +1
    We lost a dog a few years ago.. he was quite old, but still loving. He let us know it was his time, and we had to have him put down. We both cried. We were sad for several days. Then we started to be able to talk about him. We'd reminisce about silly things he did, his habits, things that used to aggravate us. And we did keep a couple of his toys, just so we'd never forget. And there's the photo album. We have no kids, but we have a dog photo album like people have for their kids.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I do understand.
  • Selkie Nick~be... 2010/05/07 06:51:32
    Selkie
    +1
    Thank you Nick. I have done the same thing. Half of my huge photo album is full of my pets. (I don't have any kids either) I've already selected his 2 favorite toys & am keeping his collar & leash out. My cats are looking for him everywhere! So sad. Thanks for memory/wake idea.
  • Nick~be... Selkie 2010/05/07 19:43:32
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    +1
    We have our former dog's collar... it's in one of the decorative ceramic lidded dishes in the lounge. That way he's with us, but no one else necessarily needs to know.
  • Shawna 2010/05/06 20:21:25
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Shawna
    +1
    I'm so sorry for your loss; Talk to people who understand, who will listen to you tell your favourite stories about your beloved pet. I still miss one particular pet who was very special to me, although time healed the grief. I waited a few years before getting another pet because I did not want that new animal to be a replacement. I waited until I could love another for what he/she is and not just try to fill the void. If you lost a child would you immediately adopt one? You might adopt in time but you would work through your grief first. For many of us our pets are our children.
  • Selkie Shawna 2010/05/07 06:56:33
    Selkie
    Exactly! I want to take the time to honor & mourn Seamus properly. I have my kitties to keep me from wallowing, but I don't want to get another dog for a good year, maybe two. No pet will ever be as gorgeous or as smart as he was. I need to take the time to be able to accept a pup that won't quite measure up, but deserves my love anyway.
    Thank you so much for your kind words & for understanding my pain. It means a lot.
  • Shawna Selkie 2010/05/07 20:46:33
    Shawna
    +1
    you are so welcome. It took me eight years to get another cat after I lost my kitty. The new cat is just as wonderful only he is his own unique personality. I can love him as much and still honour the memory of my previous cat. Dogs have so much love to give of course you will love a new one as much as it deserves, but only you will know when it is the right time. Take care of yourself.
  • Captain Sticky 2010/05/06 15:07:10
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Captain Sticky
    +2
    Get another one right away. There are so many animals out there that need your love and care.
  • Andrew ~ PWCM 2010/05/06 14:25:01 (edited)
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    Andrew ~ PWCM
    +1
    Count yourself and Seamus lucky. I lost my 16 year old Beagle Murray early this year but had to watch him suffer through cushings disease for a couple of years, which can kill them but he recovered through taking medicine for a long time. The cushings, and maybe his age made his back end get so weak I had to build a ramp for him to get up the back steps to his doggie door and a ramp for him to get out of the living room because there are two steps. His hearing was gone and he lost most of his sight by the time he got cancer, lymphoma. Seeing that poor little go through that till I had to have him put down was like living in a nightmare. And the last two days almost killed me too. If Seamus went quickly at least he didn't suffer long, and putting him down is a horrible thing to deal with. You are luckier than you know, even though you lost your best friend. As soon as you are able get another dog, it was maybe too soon, but after a couple of months I got another Beagle from someone on Craigslist, they were just giving her away. She isn't a replacement for Murray, but I love her, and having become used to a dog friend it's hard not to have one around.
  • Selkie Andrew ... 2010/05/07 07:03:19
    Selkie
    +1
    I'm so sorry for YOUR loss. Poor Murray really went through it. I'm sure your love & extra attention made his discomfort less severe. Sea had weak back legs too but wasn't in pain with it. (I do need to get new carpeting though) He was such a fun, smart & playful old boy that I was surprised when he was starting to shut down. It only took about 3 hours. But I was thankful he went at home with me singing his song & loving him. Thank you so much for your kind words & please accept my condolences.
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2010/05/06 14:21:37
    Other. . . .
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +2
    I don't cope well with it at all, frankly, but as they say "time heals all wounds", and so far this seems to be true. I'm very sorry for your loss! Just allow the grief to run its course, and in a while you will feel better!
  • ✿✿✿RoseD1st✿✿✿ 2010/05/06 14:11:42
    Yes, this is what I did. . .
    ✿✿✿RoseD1st✿✿✿
    +1
    Oh this post is close to my heart... Ive rescued pets for years so Ive been through this more than a few times.It never gets any easier.What I do is try to save a new one,it helps some with the grieving process and Ive saved another one. I do know we will see them again when we join them.
  • Selkie ✿✿✿Rose... 2010/05/07 07:07:00
    Selkie
    Thank you Rose, & thank you for rescuing so many less fortunate babies. It takes a special heart.
  • Gun665 2010/05/06 12:48:53
  • Selkie Gun665 2010/05/07 07:05:32 (edited)
    Selkie
    +1
    Thank you Gun. He was like my own kid. I loved him that much. And I do know I'll see him again. Thanks for understanding.
  • Gun665 Selkie 2010/05/07 13:06:27
  • no name 2010/05/06 12:33:47 (edited)
    Yes, but I'm still alone & hurting. . .
    no name
    +1
    Oh, I can feel your pain so intensely! It was three years ago this month that my beautiful Dalmatian was put down at age 15.5 and I STILL cry about it sometimes. You have to go through all the same stages of mourning as you do for a human loss. Grieve as much as you need to and eventually, the pain will lessen a bit more every day and you will remember the good times. Getting another dog will certainly ease the pain more quickly, but, I haven't been able to bring myself to do that. Tasha was the greatest dog I ever had (and I am a life-long dog owner) and I just feel that any other dog would not measure up.
    This is a good link which explains the stages of grief:
    You have my deepest sympathies.
  • Selkie no name 2010/05/07 07:12:08 (edited)
    Selkie
    +1
    Debbie thank you so much. I lost my older brother years ago, & I think this really does hurt as much! I'm sorry for your loss & I know exactly what you mean. Sea not only understood English, He also read my mind - OFTEN. I always felt as though it was like I had 5 or 6 year old child who was mute. He was that smart. So I know what you mean about no one measuring up to Tasha. I know eventually I will get another dog but not for a while....

And thanks for the link too.

2014/11/01 04:51:32