How do people rationalize the story of creation in the Bible and reject Evolution?

smilinbobs 2013/11/03 23:11:36
When I read this, I see a Bronze Age mentality trying to figure out how the world they lived in came to be. I also see an attempt to explain some of human behavior. Here are some things that could use explanation for a nonbeliever.

The first question is, why would God (Yahweh, Jehovah) doom his creation from the beginning. Mankind was created good Gen 1:31 (And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good). Then God puts a tree (With the knowledge of good and evil) in this place where mankind is. If God is all knowing God would have known the outcome. If God knew the outcome why doom your creation rather than create it correctly in the first place? If Adam and Eve were the only humans in the world what good or evil would there have been for them to know about? If they had obeyed God and people didn’t die how many people would there be on earth today and would the earth be able to withstand that population? If Adam and Eve were the only two people on earth why would they be ashamed to be naked? Gen 3:7( And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons) Being naked is not an evil act according to the laws that God had given.

If anybody would like to help me out, Thanks!!!!!

• Hello 2014/01/05 11:04:36
  • Anthony 2013/12/14 20:28:12
    Anthony
    +1
    Because in evolution things just appear from nothing and nowhere. In the Bible God creates it. If anyone can explain how a BIG BANG made nothing become something from nowhere then they are pretty good.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/15 00:05:16
    smilinbobs
    It is true that mankind doesn't have all of the answers yet just saying God did it is the easy way out. I look at it from a different light.. I believe that certain things are (eternal, infinite) like Time, Space and Matter. If that is true then As we know matter never disappears it just changes form. Matter all has charge which causes it to react with other matter. This would explain how our universe was formed and how we could have come about. It makes as much sense as any other theory. Evolution doesn't have something come from nothing. It says that the molecular structure of RNA could have come from Molecules that were present on the earth millions of years ago. It then states that things changed very slowly and different RNA strands developed then changes occurred that causes DNA to form. This DNA is life. As DNA was exposed to earthly elements it changed causing many different species of life. Which adapted through natural selection and continues to change and adapt.
  • Anthony smilinbobs 2013/12/15 01:06:50
    Anthony
    +1
    Okay. But where did the very first thing come from. Without a creator it had to come from somewhere.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/15 01:13:08
    smilinbobs
    There is no evidence that Matter has not always existed in space. Matter has positive and negative charges that interact so as matter attracts and repels it moves and when large amounts of matter are in close proximity the reactions are greater. our universe is likely a product of such an interaction.
  • Anthony smilinbobs 2013/12/15 04:48:17
    Anthony
    +1
    this is what I'm saying. All these theories come from assumptions. I keep hearing scientific facts but all I keep hearing is we assume, or we are not sure yet, or there is no evidence. Just as I take creation by faith (and science) so do people who do not believe in creation.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/15 14:44:47
    smilinbobs
    Nobody has ALL of the answers!
  • Ben Anthony 2014/01/12 02:36:28
    Ben
    The Big Bang is entirely different to evolution. They are separate theories.
  • dru dixon 2013/12/04 01:54:02
    dru dixon
    +1
    I think God wanted MAN to think things out for himself and come to the right conclusion and of course mankind failed and has been doing that ever since. Even GODS make mistakes.
  • Anthony dru dixon 2013/12/15 01:07:26
    Anthony
    +1
    Not God almighty. No one can show where he ever made a mistake.
  • dru dixon Anthony 2013/12/16 18:31:20
    dru dixon
    +1
    I think he made a big one with MAN. Or else he is an underachiever.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/16 20:47:16
    smilinbobs
    I have shown where the God in the Bible has made numerous mistakes and admits it.
  • Anthony smilinbobs 2013/12/17 15:53:00
    Anthony
    If you have posted it before give me the link. Because I guarantee there is no contradiction. I have had so many people say that, and then when they tell me where. I see how simple the explanation is.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/18 00:33:25
    smilinbobs
    Let's begin with Creation. God made a mistake when he created mankind.. God admits this in Genesis 6

Genesis 6:5-7
    5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Which to me is clear proof that it was not divinely inspired since God is suppose to be omniscient. and would have known that things would end up like they did.
  • Anthony smilinbobs 2013/12/18 10:04:28
    Anthony
    +1
    This is where 35 years of studying the bible and preaching comes in handy.

First lets look at what it can not mean. It does not mean that God created the human family expecting it to remain true or loyal to him and we surprised him by straying from him. It does not mean he was surprised and therefore disappointed and regretted making man.

There are two reasons this can not be the meaning:

1. Psalm 147:5 "Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite." God knows everything. If the Lord’s understanding is infinite, he must have known, before he created man, that he would fall.

2. This is further evidenced by the fact that the plan of salvation was purposed before humanity was created. Paul tells us that God “chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world,” and that our redemption was “through Jesus’ blood”

Eph. 1:4, "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:"

1 Pet. 1:2 "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied."

Since the sacrifice for human sin was provisioned even before the world was created, it neces...

Since the sacrifice for human sin was provisioned even before the world was created, it necessarily follows that our Creator knew we would transgress long before Adam and Eve were placed in Eden.

So if Gen. 6 did not mean what you say what does it mean?

There are several figures of speech in the Bible that accommodate the human level of understanding.

1. anthropomorphism (the way man thinks). anthropomorphism (man form). This is where the bible says things like "The eyes of God" or "The strong arm of the Lord" These speak of God's watchfulness and his strength or power.

2. anthropopathism (man feeling). This is where human emotions are sometimes attributed to God.To say that God “repented,” or that he was “grieved,” is simply a symbolic way of asserting that man’s conduct did not meet the God's standard. This language vividly portrays, from a human perspective, God’s displeasure at our rebellion.

The bible tells us the unbeliever can't understand the bible.

1 Cor. 2:11-16
    11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

As men are sinful and not "all knowing" we must have God's spirit living in us. He will teach us what He means in His Word.

That is why to those who do not know Christ as Savior think there are errors in the bible.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/18 14:48:27
    smilinbobs
    Anthony, You and I have different perspectives. I am of the perspective that I am trying to determine if indeed the Bible could be divinely inspired or was it a work of man. You are of the perspective that God exists and whatever God says or does God had his reasons.
    I look at chronology as an important factor in determining inspiration. What is written first takes precedence because that info is new. Anything written later is just written in an attempt to confirm what is already there.(this is the way mankind thinks). What is said later about the past events doesn't carry much weight for me.

Now the whole Jesus thing you speak of. If God punishes mankind for having evil thoughts and doing evil deeds. The murder of the Son of God is an evil deed that mankind perpetrated against God. Why would God reward mankind for this evil deed? We see what God did to everyone on the planet when many were evil at heart in Genesis. As for this blood sacrifice thing, Why would the creator of all desire the slaughter of any of his creation? This shows primitive thought not a supreme intellect. Then the Bible claims that God likes the aroma of the burning flesh. If God is what God is suppose to be God wouldn't have a sense of smell and if God enjoyed this so much why would God need humans to car...

Now the whole Jesus thing you speak of. If God punishes mankind for having evil thoughts and doing evil deeds. The murder of the Son of God is an evil deed that mankind perpetrated against God. Why would God reward mankind for this evil deed? We see what God did to everyone on the planet when many were evil at heart in Genesis. As for this blood sacrifice thing, Why would the creator of all desire the slaughter of any of his creation? This shows primitive thought not a supreme intellect. Then the Bible claims that God likes the aroma of the burning flesh. If God is what God is suppose to be God wouldn't have a sense of smell and if God enjoyed this so much why would God need humans to carry out this task? God can make and do anything. From a human perspective we have to eat and it is part of what we are (through evolution) it would make sense that if you make a God in your image that it would like the same things as you do. I hope that you can begin to see why faith in this information is difficult for me to consider divinely inspired.

With that said you claim that God wasn't actually disappointed but the evidence in the Bible says that God was very disappointed with what he had created since God kills all but a few of everything on the earth. Anyone using reasonable logic would come to the conclusion that God was disappointed. There is really no other way I can see it. If you destroy what you have created it clearly shows that you have make a mistake and now are trying to fix it.

I would say that you are correct in stating that a nonbeliever cannot understand the Bible (if we must accept an idea of divine inspiration) I do understand what the men that wrote it were trying to accomplish. I do understand what it says but It's true that I can't find any divine inspiration in there. I have searched for 28 years, all I find are words of men who look to control others by threat of divine wrath. I keep searching just in case I have overlooked something. That is why I like to post religious questions.
  • Jennifer 2013/12/01 05:04:08
    Jennifer
    +1
    I will answer a little at a time and may revisit to answer more later. It is getting late here. I think in my other comments on your other question I already explained about predestination and how God doesn't always choose to know the outcomes of matters. Email me if you have more questions about that and I can also do a little more research if you want a more thorough answer. I am going to jump to the point about if Adam and Eve didn't sin and where would people be today. It is possible that some of their offspring would have sinned somewhere down the road. Only God knows how he would deal with that. Who is to know what God would do when the earth becomes full? JWs speculate about this because we believe the earth will be restored to paradise and we will fill up the earth in the future. The Bible says that "deserts would bloom" so the deserts will be hospitable for life. I am sure that Antarctica will melt and people will live there. Lands like Greenland and Siberia will be inhabitable. But at some point the earth will be full. Who is to say that God couldn't change the man and woman's roles and that they would live as friends and not marry. That way they wouldn't reproduce. Or who is to say that God couldn't make the planets hospitable for human life. That is all speculation. We simply don't know what God has in store. I will revisit this question tomorrow.
  • smilinbobs Jennifer 2013/12/01 16:41:03
    smilinbobs
    If that was the desired result then why not start with the result Jehovah desired. As a logical person I have to question the intellect of the author. It makes perfect sense to a Bronze age mentality not inspired by a divine entity. Yet if I try to make sense of a supremely intelligent being, capable of creating anything. This omniscient being then creates something that is disappointing, It shows less intelligence than what I would do. I can't rationalize this in any logical way. I look at religious questions from a point of view that if there is no divine entity what would things be like. If there is a divine entity that matches any of the religious texts what would things be like. This falls short because Jehovah is suppose to be omniscient and more intelligent than I am.
  • Jennifer smilinbobs 2013/12/01 17:08:26
    Jennifer
    I am still going to give you a more thorough answer later about some points. But God doesn't interfere with free will and he doesn't want robots to serve him because he made them that way. He wants people to serve him because they want to. He created people with the capability to go either way. I may not be able to answer your question in a totally satisfying way. I,myself, don't understand everything about the Bible and I just realize that my mind is too small to grasp everything. But I will give a deeper explanation, but have things to do this afternoon so I will put it on hold for now.
  • smilinbobs Jennifer 2013/12/01 18:44:51
    smilinbobs
    That sounds great Jennifer, I have to take the kids skating til 5:00 pm so I too will be back later. As for free will, unless Jehovah made a mistake evolution has had a bearing on free will. We have emotion that hinders our free will. Example: If you come home from work and find your spouse with another in a romantic way do you have the will not to be upset about the situation? (Rhetorical) Why do we not have free will there. Could you kill a baby? Do you see that you don't have free will. There are things that we due to emotion we have no control over. We have a majority of control but not entirely. This means that if there were a God that wanted our obedience yet not robots emotion could be used to carry out that goal. Yet I see people that claim to be strict religious followers working on the Sabbath after Jehovah specifically forbid this behavior. I have heard those same people use the name of the lord in vain with guilt. I have seen these same people steal from their employer with not feelings of guilt. So why then does emotion play a role in other things. If I look at evolution it makes sense as jealousy is an emotion that would be necessary to insure your continued existence in the genetic future. In a predatory species if there was not some emotional sympathy toward the very young the parents would just eat them. If I try to use a divine creator to explain emotion it fails. This makes the free will argument questionable in my logical perspective.
  • Jennifer smilinbobs 2013/12/01 22:21:33
    Jennifer
    +1
    You keep bringing up these other points and it hinders me researching what I planned to get back to you on. Christians don't have to observe the Sabbath. The Sabbath was a part of the Mosaic Law. The Ten Commandments are part of the Mosaic Law. We are not under the Ten Commandments. But we still can't murder, steal or commit adultery because Jesus told us not to do those things also.

Also be careful about getting too caught up in pondering that you miss out on the basic message of the Bible. One can get lost in pondering. Will get back to you but it may be tomorrow.
  • Adam 2013/11/04 15:55:08
  • Clay Slayer 2013/11/04 14:52:02
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    My Question has been,, Why didn't this god just Make Eve like it Made Adam.. wouldn't that have been easier the some made up BS story about magically taking a rib and making a woman out of it.. Scientifically the two would have the exact DNA.. and then the impossibility of two people alone populating the earth.. then all of the BS stories where the laws of physics and nature are suspended... LMAO Did adam and eve have Belly Buttons.. and If God made man in his image, why isn't man invisible..?
  • smilinbobs Clay Sl... 2013/11/04 21:55:53
    smilinbobs
    +1
    Some great points Classic. I hadn't even considered those aspects.
  • Anthony Clay Sl... 2013/12/16 18:52:25
    Anthony
    God created science so he could make the DNA be what ever he wanted. He is not limited.
  • Clay Sl... Anthony 2013/12/16 22:39:36
    Clay Slayer
    LMAO
  • The Spanish Inquisition 2013/11/04 12:29:06
    The Spanish Inquisition
    +2
    As far as i know, only the fundamentalists and American Christians take the bible's genesis story as literal. Most have a good grasp on evolution and put it in a similar way my christian friends do:

1. god created universe
    2. planets etc form
    3. life forms
    4. humans appear as an evolutionary by-product.
    5. god considers them good enough and gives them "the spark"
    6. the rest is history.
  • smilinbobs The Spa... 2013/11/04 22:47:40
    smilinbobs
    That is definitely different than the versions that I have heard by all of my Christian friends. Thanks
  • Al B Thayer 2013/11/04 02:28:56
    Al B Thayer
    Lets see. One was written by God and one was written by a racist.
  • smilinbobs Al B Th... 2013/11/04 03:12:31
    smilinbobs
    If the creation theory was written by a racist then what color were Adam and Eve were they black folks White people or Asian. Why doesn't God tell us when he added the others and for what reason. Or was God a racist since he only claims to make one race. How did the ancestors of Adam and Eve get different races? At least the theory of evolution explains different races as all things evolved slowly in different ways making different versions of a species not only possible but likely. So which theory was written by a racist?
  • Clay Sl... smilinbobs 2013/11/04 14:56:37
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    The Name Adam means several things, and one of them is RED

ADAM

GENDER: Masculine

USAGE: English, French, German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Russian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Romanian, Hebrew, Arabic, Georgian, Biblical, Biblical Latin, Biblical Greek, Biblical Hebrew

OTHER SCRIPTS: Адам (Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Macedonian), אָדָם (Hebrew), آدم (Arabic), ადამ (Georgian), Αδαμ (Ancient Greek)

PRONOUNCED: A-dəm (English), a-DAWN (French), AH-dahm (German, Polish), AH:-dahm (Dutch), ah-DAHM (Russian) [key]

Meaning & History

This is the Hebrew word for "man". It could be ultimately derived from Hebrew אדם ('adam) meaning "to be red", referring to the ruddy colour of human skin, or from Akkadian adamu meaning "to make". According to Genesis in the Old Testament Adam was created from the earth by God (there is a word play on Hebrew אֲדָמָה ('adamah) "earth"). He and Eve were supposedly the first humans, living happily in the Garden of Eden until Adam ate a forbidden fruit given to him by Eve.
  • Dickens Al B Th... 2013/11/04 14:21:18
    Dickens
    +1
    ..I don't think god writes books...I'll go out on a limb here and say the bible was probably written by people, people who decided what THEY think god should say...
  • Clay Sl... Dickens 2013/11/04 14:57:23
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    Yep, and not one of the writers of the bible were eye witness to any of the biblical accounts.. Just repeats of stories they had heard...
  • smilinbobs Clay Sl... 2013/11/04 22:50:52
    smilinbobs
    That is why there are so many errors and contradictions
  • Anthony smilinbobs 2013/12/16 19:01:19
    Anthony
    There are no errors. just people misunderstanding. Show me the errors.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/16 21:12:27
    smilinbobs
    Let's take the death of Judas there are two different accounts on that same subject there are two different accounts of why it was the field of blood.
    Read
    Matthew 27
    27 Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people made their plans how to have Jesus executed. 2 So they bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate the governor.3 When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. 4 “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”
    “What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.”
    5 So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.
    6 The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.” 7 So they decided to use the money to buy the potter’s field as a burial place for foreigners. 8 That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. 9 Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, 10 and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.”

Acts 1
    18 (With the payment he ...

Read
    Matthew 27

Acts 1
    18 (With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

There are many more but this is one is my favorite
  • Anthony smilinbobs 2013/12/17 16:01:12
    Anthony
    Your using a corrupt manuscript. The King James version is the only one that has not been tampered with by man (only english version).

Matthew 27: When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:

2 And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.

7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.

8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;

Acts 1:18 says "...

Acts 1:18 says " Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out." 19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

I see no contradiction at all.
  • smilinbobs Anthony 2013/12/17 23:43:31
    smilinbobs
    I'm confused how can Hanging yourself out of guilt and having the Chief Priest buy "The Field of Blood" be the same as Purchasing "The field of Blood" and having your guts spill out? If you are trying to claim that they are not speaking of Judas. Acts:1-16 clearly states that it is.

Acts 1:16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
  • Anthony Dickens 2013/12/16 18:59:48
    Anthony
    1 Timothy 3: 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

2 peter 1:
    20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
    21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

God told man what to write. He did not leave it up to man to write what he wanted, for man is prone to mistakes. He gave us all we need in his word. An the scripture means only one thing. It is not up to us to decide what we want it to mean. It means just what God said.
  • Clay Sl... Al B Th... 2013/11/04 14:53:08
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    Show me the one written by this GOD....an provide proof that this God wrote it..

2014/09/17 13:43:08