How do I stop my mind from racing 24/7?

Broken Until Forever 2010/04/01 09:54:41
I have always been a thinker, an over-thinker... I can't sleep because I go to bed and think, I get tension headaches during the day from thinking so much! Sometimes I will watch an entire movie, and not have a clue what happened because I was thinking all the way through it. Thinking causes anxiety. HOW DO I STOP!? =)

• Munster 2010/04/01 19:39:26 (edited)
    I think way too much too!
    Munster
    +2
    I know exactly what you're talking about. This used to get so bad that I would actually start to have panic attacks in stores and such. The only thing that really helped me was to get into things that required my full attention. Try channeling it into something like arts and crafts of exercising. Some games I chose to play got me wrapped up into the story so I was too busy thinking about the game to worry.

Sleeping though will be the hardest. I still have trouble sleeping every now and then. What I do is break out my jigsaw puzzle and put pieces in until I'm too tired to do it anymore or you can always break out a really good book.

• Gracie Dyer 2011/12/26 21:49:03
    I think way too much too!
    Gracie Dyer
    i over think every thing in my entire life,it takes me hour or more to fall asleep at nite, thinkin about what i could have do better that day, i have at leat 2 anxiety attacks a day, sometime i go a couple days and dont sleep at all. i replay conversations in my head thinkin i should have said this instead of that. ill get mad and actually imagine me argueing with someone in my head.. I NEED HELP
  • Heart Safire 2010/04/20 16:41:21
    I have a suggestion...
    Heart Safire
    It sounds like Attention Deficit Disorder. Have you ever been evaluated for that?

Some people with AD/HD find that taking stimulant medications, which would ordinarily keep most people awake, actually helps them sleep because it turns off the excessive thought activity at night.

Either way I would definitely consider having an evaluation.
  • *^ɯɐɔ^* 2010/04/02 20:47:53
    I have a suggestion...
    *^ɯɐɔ^*
  • Broken ... *^ɯɐɔ^* 2010/04/03 06:07:17
    Broken Until Forever
    Haha... well it would be nice. But I don't think it would be practical, because I have to wake for my daughter when she wants a bottle throughout the night, if I was medicated, maybe I wouldn't hear her!
  • Munster 2010/04/01 19:39:26 (edited)
    I think way too much too!
    Munster
    +2

• Broken ... Munster 2010/04/03 06:09:37
    Broken Until Forever
    I love arts and crafts! I should stop being so lazy. It's so easy just to turn on the laptop and read about other peoples problems, but I guess, that's just giving me something else to worry about later. =) good suggestion.
  • Golanv (Raven) 2010/04/01 13:20:07
    I have a suggestion...
    Golanv (Raven)
    +1
    I've had same thing happen and just talked with therapist about it. (Doing somatic experiencing) She said it is called 'overcoupling' when the mind moves from one scenario to the next and won't stop. She described it as being like a train with too many cars on it. Must put some things into cars for later,unhook, and park them on a side rail to go back to when you want. The visualization works amazingly well for me. She had me visualize my worst worries and lock them each into a train car, set it off to the side. When I first started I was amazed that I would forget what I had just 'locked up' and 'uncoupled'. The racing thoughts are subsiding with this imagery and I am getting back into meditation to slow them down further. Ah, calm and peace within. It rocks. Good luck.
  • layla ^^ 2010/04/01 12:28:18
    I have a suggestion...
    layla ^^
    this happen to me when i'm worried about many things

u have to get rid of your worries
  • gone 2010/04/01 12:05:29 (edited)
    I have a suggestion...
    gone
    +2
    I have found that strenuous exercise or work helps burn some of that mental energy and releases brain chemicals that have a calming effect. Good luck and I hope you find some relief.
  • Broken ... gone 2010/04/01 12:50:49
    Broken Until Forever
    +2
    Thanks =) I hadn't thought about it that way. I will be looking into it.
  • Golanv ... gone 2010/04/01 13:23:00
    Golanv (Raven)
    +1
    Good suggestion. Endorphins work.
  • lifeasasymptom 2010/04/01 10:53:32
    I think way too much too!
    lifeasasymptom
    +1
    I don't know how to stop either. Seriously, the only time I'm not thinking so much is when I'm at school because I have to think about that. At home and on the weekends however, WOW. I get so depressed because I pretty much think about every single thing I've ever done that may have been even slightly wrong. And I freak out about whether or not I said the right thing to something my best friend said MONTHS ago. It's ridiculous.
  • Broken ... lifeasa... 2010/04/01 11:51:29
    Broken Until Forever
    Have you ever wondered ''is it just me? or does everyone think this much?''... It's impossible to tell if we are a minority... or is it just totally normal to think and analyse ALL THE TIME!? Oh it's a pain in the butt. Hahaha. When I was at school I had major insomnia, so I basically lived on two hours sleep a day, why did I have insomnia? Because I think too much. No time for sleep, thinking now. LOL. I'm a little better now, because I have a 5 month old daughter and I know if I don't get at least 4-5 hours sleep I can't function properly all day to look after her. Do you have trouble getting to sleep for all your thinking?
  • lifeasa... Broken ... 2010/04/02 00:17:17
    lifeasasymptom
    Yeah, I generally live off of 0.5-4 hours of sleep every day. It's horrible.

2014/10/31 07:13:44