How Do Atheist Beleive There Is No God?

DeathByMurder 2012/03/17 18:34:45
Related Topics: God, World
I Do Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
I Do Not Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
I mean seriously i do not get it, can someone plese explain it to me? I don't see how you think there is no god, how would the whole world be put together as it is?

• BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET) 2012/03/17 18:40:21
    BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET)
    +13
    If you don't get it, I can't see how explaining will work. I don't get how Christians can believe in a god when he has shown no concrete evidence that he exists, but accept that thats what they believe in and, so long as they don't push it on me, thats cool by me.

• Kat Thirt33n 2012/06/16 20:09:00
    Kat Thirt33n
    Because if there was a god that supposedly created everything and loves everyone and everything.... that means he or she created: Starvation, Rape, Abuse, Hate, Fear, Lust, Hunger, and a bunch of other stuff.
  • crotchrot 2012/03/23 21:55:10
  • BVBarmy4life 2012/03/23 20:50:57 (edited)
    BVBarmy4life
    +1
    I dont because you don't need to look up to a religous leader you need to look up to urself and belive in yourself........... but I do belive in the Greek gods gut not the "one holy spirit" or whatever
  • The Impossible Girl ✿ 2012/03/23 20:41:49
    The Impossible Girl ✿
    +1
    You wonder how an atheist doesn't believe in god?

Why do the religious believe in gods?

I see no proof whatsoever of some high holy being.
    I also completely disagree with some of the things said in the bible.
    As well as the hate some Christians in particular have spewed at me.
    Something I'd like to remind those Christians of is this: It IS a SIN to judge others. (Apparently) only "god" is allowed to judge. So don't do it.

I find religion to be stupid.. Just in general.
    Especially religions that practise things that do not coincide with the way things are today.
    Like racism, sexism (women are below men, blah, blah, blah), homophobia, etc.

Times are changing and religions need to either change with it or die off.
  • Sour Dime 2012/03/23 19:29:42 (edited)
    Sour Dime
    +1
    Because the whole concept doesn't make sense to me, I follow logic not magic..I also do not need some book to tell me how to live my life.
  • Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2012/03/23 19:00:02 (edited)
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +6
    I hold a lack of belief in a god or I don't believe in god but i do not "believe there is no god"...

I might believe your god is man-made but that's something different.

As for the fact you are unable to comprehend other lines of thinking, it's no different that you not believing in Zeus or Thor.
  • Bastion 2012/03/23 18:46:37
    Bastion
    +3
    It's really easy for a Christian to understand how an atheist believes there is no God.

Think really hard about the way YOU feel about the Roman god, Zues.

zues

It's like that.
  • Steve 2012/03/23 18:04:12
    Steve
    +1
    Obviously we live within Creation. It probably got started at some point. But the forces involved seem clearly beyond human comprehension.

The idea that the source of Creation bears any resemblance to the God of Abraham seems utterly ludicrous from any commonsense perspective.
  • Cordingly 2012/03/23 14:34:05
    Cordingly
    +1
    It's not as black and white as your options are.
  • socokid 2012/03/23 14:04:04
    socokid
    +1
    I do not see a reason to believe in such a thing.

Evidence is the only reason I do not believe in a God. Show me evidence, and I would become a theist in a nanosecond.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/03/23 07:42:11 (edited)
    I Do Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    Atheists don't want to live with moral restrictions and limitations, instead they'd rather live selfish lives deprived of kindness and integrity towards others.

If you want to see what Atheist societies are look at Burma [Myanmar], Cambodia, North Korea, the former Soviet Union, and Revolutionary France. Their genocides, human rights violations, and general immorality speaks volumes about their lack of values and beliefs.
  • Steve ✞Knight... 2012/03/23 18:08:24
    Steve
    +1
    I doubt you know many atheists. In my experience, atheists tend to be more scrupulously ethical than most believers.

Those who seek dictatorial power, whether atheist or believer, tend to be pretty evil. This doesn't say anything about atheism or religion, it says something about megalomaniacs. Plenty of atrocities have been committed by adherents of religion.
  • ✞Knight... Steve 2012/03/26 01:46:41 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "I doubt you know many atheists."
    -I know many Athiests to my own misfortune. I know at least 37 Athiests (not counting Agnostics as they are very different) that I can easily recall; much more than that if I were to recount all of my experiences.

"In my experience, atheists tend to be more scrupulously ethical than most believers."
    -That's the biggest misconception I've yet heard. I've yet to meet 1 single ethical Athiest; I want to figure out how you managed to get a bias strong enough to blind you from common knowledge, history, and logic.

"Plenty of atrocities have been committed by adherents of religion."
    -Unfortunately. However, the vast majority of genocides and murders have been commited by Athiests in the last 112 years.

Myanmar (Burma) Genocide

The Great Purge

The Cambodian Genocide
  • Jane ✞Knight... 2012/03/26 03:50:12
    Jane
    You are sorely mistaking, religion appears to have little effect on ones morals. I am not selfish, I am kind and have more integrity then most of my christian neighbors. If anything christians seem to think they will be forgiven for their immoral ways, so it is a ticket to be immoral and not have compassion for their neighbor.
  • ✞Knight... Jane 2012/03/26 16:35:50
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "religion appears to have little effect on ones morals."
    -Even secular studies have disproven your claim. There was a direct correlation between religious belief and morality; considering secular universities make this observation, you have no professional or educated supports to this nonsense.

"I am not selfish"
    -Since I don't know you, I can make no speculation. How many people actually would admit to being selfish during an argument anyway?

"I am kind and have more integrity then most of my christian neighbors."
    -Again there is no way to speculate. However, I am reasonably skeptical of this unsupported claim based on your ignorance about Christianity.

"If anything christians seem to think they will be forgiven for their immoral ways, so it is a ticket to be immoral and not have compassion for their neighbor."
    -So you're trying to argue that not believing in good or evil compounded with no real consequences for immorality persuades Atheists to be good people for absolutely no reason more than Christians who believe that evil is punished with eternal damnation and good is rewarded with eternal salvation? Your argument is one of the most ridiculous I've ever heard!

Also, you should do your research rather than stating your own misinterpretations of religion, Christians only believe t...

"I am not selfish"

Also, you should do your research rather than stating your own misinterpretations of religion, Christians only believe they'll be forgiven if they repent and never take that action again. If anyone is lying, it would be you; if you know so little of Christianity, I don't believe all of your neighbors are Christians.
  • Jane ✞Knight... 2012/03/27 14:39:03
    Jane
    +1
    You learn what you live
  • ✞Knight... Jane 2012/03/28 03:20:26
    ✞Knight of Honor
    I agree that "You learn what you live." However, learning morality sounds preferential to learning immorality; Atheism is the sum rejection of morality and law. History mixed with modern Atheist opinions sufficiently defines Atheism as such. I do not deny that there are a small number of moral Atheists, but in all reality, that is not representative to the entirety of Atheists. Why do most Atheists refuse to believe in common sense and moral laws? The answer is that they do not want to have any restrictions and are content in convincing themselves that immorality is morality so that they have no restrictions. Rejecting the truth to avoid doing what is right; that is hardly an admirable trait in anyone's opinion (at least, mine).
  • Jane ✞Knight... 2012/03/28 20:22:47
    Jane
    I disagree with you I believe religious people are the immoral ones who think they are some how forgiven because of their religion. I on the other had have no trouble being moral and kind to others.
  • ✞Knight... Jane 2012/03/28 20:28:19 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    The problem is that your argument has no factual or logical basis; modern history and common sense disprove your incorrect speculation.

There is the consideration that your morality likely is different than mine however. This might be the catalyst in your support for this nonfactual accusation; what possible current religious immorality are you trying to compare to Atheist genocide, selfishness, cruelty, deceit, and disorder?
  • Jane ✞Knight... 2012/03/28 20:44:35
    Jane
    No I was not referring to religious genocide, selfishness, cruelty, deceit and disorder. I was referring to myself and my 64 years of experience. Which is something I know for sure.
  • ✞Knight... Jane 2012/03/29 18:48:04
    ✞Knight of Honor
    So your viewpoint is supported only by your word which could easily be (and probably is) a fabrication of facts.

My statements about religion and Atheism are supported by modern history however. I have strong supports, not just my assumed honesty; that's all your offering for such a ridiculous claim. Unless you can provide real examples from modern history, the logical response is to realize that your statement is only ideological misinformation (which I believe it is).
  • Jane ✞Knight... 2012/03/30 02:24:44
    Jane
    You appear to be delusional to me and there is no sense talking to someone who is delusional.
  • ✞Knight... Jane 2012/03/30 16:09:02 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    Good advice. I was trying to understand your opinion, but I see that it is only a blind ideology that has no supports. You win, I won't talk to someone who is delusional, goodbye.
  • Jane ✞Knight... 2012/03/31 13:19:57
    Jane
    Goodbye my 20 year old genius, I was fortunate to have parents that did not brainwash me from birth, wish you could have.
  • Francisco J Machado 2012/03/22 18:46:25
    Francisco J Machado
    +1
    Because some people need to understand why they believe in something when they use that belief to support their actions, which is especially important in social interaction. It is called critical thinking, and it is not a strange thing.
    +2
    The primary reason I don't believe their is a god, is the representatives of the religions of this planet are such decietful fools that they don't believe that the people who listen to their false statements will not see through their lies and corrupt false religions.

Secondly, is the total lack of conscience of the priest and ministers when they spew their false dogma, doctrines and beliefs in public as they do.

Third, their association with the political world, which is a blatant violation of what is SUPPOSED to be followed by any real religion. A trueism being "one cannot serve two masters, they will either love the one or hate the other"

Fourth, No person in their right mind would even consider the creation model expoused by most of the religions of the world.

Fifth is the total ignorance that the religions of Christendom expouse on what they call the Trinity which is a totally false doctrine and belief.
  • Lefty 2012/03/21 14:48:25 (edited)
    I Do Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
    Lefty
    +1
    It took a God as we call him to have more than nothing!!!
    No other explanation for life, and the universe we live in.
    There is no science without God! No universe, no nothing!
  • AnonRanGER 2012/03/21 11:41:14
    AnonRanGER
    +1
    Because there is not an iota of proof. And please don't give me that "But flowers are so pretty, so there has to be a god!"-crap.
  • reaper 2012/03/21 04:15:55
    reaper
    +3
    because I don't have any real evidence of any kind of deity existing.
  • Classical Liberal 2012/03/20 13:03:46
    I Do Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
    Classical Liberal
    My own experiences lead me to believe that the likelihood of a God existing is too high to be dismissed.

Obviously, atheists have interpreted many of their own experiences to believe just the opposite.

Ultimately we are only able to act based upon our own experiences and judgments. You hear about those people who don't find God until after they almost die and stuff, right?

Also, some atheists chose atheism as a rebellion against organized religions that they view as oppressive to women, homosexuals, and allow for slavery (the Judeo-Christian religions are all guilty of this). Rather than not believing in God because they just deem it impossible, they don't believe in God because they don't want to believe that there is a higher power that would allow for such things and reject the possibility of existence for that reason.

Then, there are the science types who somehow believe that their scientific knowledge disproves the existence of a god; completely failing to recognize that science is a study of the physical world and gods are non-physical entities.
  • LAAD Gunner - USMC 2012/03/20 04:51:10
    I Do Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +4
    I believe simply because the Lord has shown me the way. I have felt his presence and power, the Lord Jesus has personally shown me his hand and his truth, I have always been a believer but I had an experience last October that changed my life forever. His light is all around us, all one must do is open their eyes and their heart, and they will see.
  • Vene Vidi 2012/03/19 10:11:58
    Vene Vidi
    +1
    This is how I see the world and I guess most of the other atheists and agnostics.

God is a hypothesis of how this world came into existence. Hundreds and thousand years ago, people wondered why there is a thunder, rain, stars, why we get sick and why we die. So they took an obvious example: just like parents provide for their children and have made them, they imagined there is a being that made them and is providing for them. They thought he probably lived on the mountain (think Olympus or Moses), and communicated his wishes through rain, thunder, sickness and sun. Some clever guy realized that if he told others that he is channelizing god's wishes, he can make them do all sorts of things: sleep with their wives and daughters, discriminate against or even kill those that disagree, live in luxury without work and prescribe the law for the rest of the schmucks without the need to follow that same law. So, that is how religion started and how it works today.

Now, the science has brought all the answers we need to discard that hypothesis. We know why there is a rain, a thunder, we know that starts are not leaky floor of the heaven (as Plato imagined), we know how the universe came into existence and how this earth became what it is (except Bill O'Reilly who doesn't know why ther...

Now, the science has brought all the answers we need to discard that hypothesis. We know why there is a rain, a thunder, we know that starts are not leaky floor of the heaven (as Plato imagined), we know how the universe came into existence and how this earth became what it is (except Bill O'Reilly who doesn't know why there is a tide).
    We have sufficient knowledge to understand that god is not necessary for any of the processes that led to life as we know it. We can even create new life in the laboratory or mix genes of completely different animals with such an ease that it can be done as a school project. There are 4 fundamental forces in the universe that can explain everything (gravity, electro-magnetism, weak and strong nuclear forces) and math to prove it. And that is that. 1+1=2. Not 1+1+god=2. We have come a long way from being fascinated by a burning bush or talking snakes. Well, most of us.

Everything we know, we know thanks to science. People have good and prosperous lives thanks to science. Food we eat, cars we drive, medication we take... all science. Although religions like to take credit for curing people, that is just intellectual theft and we all know it. When you are sick - which do you choose: medication or prayer? Suppose you could choose only one of the two: which would you take?

So, there you go.
  • JDLogan 2012/03/18 22:47:33
    JDLogan
    +1
    I have nothing on which to base such a belief. There have been thousands of gods imagined throughout human history and I find not one of them to be believable. Science certainly doesn't have all the answers, but it does have a method for incorporating new data.
  • jaymz 2012/03/18 22:44:09
    I Do Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
    jaymz
    +3
    ONLY the dead can answer these questions and they aint talking ! everything else is just someones opinon ! you want full answers to theses type questions ? DIE ! then and only then will anyone know what really is behind the door !
  • ticlo7 2012/03/18 21:13:34 (edited)
    I Do Believe There Is A God... (Why?)
    ticlo7
    Just because there is no solid evidence, doesn't mean something doesn't exist. Many Christians use the free will defense here and other religions have their own.

I'm not going to argue or say what I think athiests think. I believe in a G_d, but sometimes I actually think the Bible is just full of lies. I'm more post-modern - I think science does have the answers but until it's disproved, I believe there'sa G_d.

This is just like my interest in mythical creatures: my mind tends to tell me that until it's disproved, fairies and unicorns exist. I might just be crazy though...
  • elijahin24 2012/03/18 21:03:50
    elijahin24
    +3
    I suspect that this is another one of those trap-questions, intended to start a fight; but on the off chance that it's a sincere attempt to understand a different point of view, here goes.
    If you start with a belief in God, it's easy to dismiss all other possibilities. I know, because I started out as a believer. But when you remove personal feelings, and look objectively, for me, it's very obvious that disbelief is more rational than belief.
    To answer your question about how the world is put together, I'm going to make some assumptions about YOUR position, based only on the question. If these assumptions are inaccurate, please correct me, and I will respond accordingly.
    I'm guessing you believe that because of the complexity of our planet, and how perfect it is for supporting life and specifically human life, you believe that it could only be this way, by design of some perfect intelligent being. Likewise, you probably believe that the human body is too perfect and too complex to have become as it is by chance.
    Let me first dispel the idea of perfection. Human babies are born with deformities and disease. The earth has earthquakes, hurricanes and volcanoes, making it a volitile planet for life to survive. If a perfect being had intended for his creation to be perfect, and h...

Let me first dispel the idea of perfection. Human babies are born with deformities and disease. The earth has earthquakes, hurricanes and volcanoes, making it a volitile planet for life to survive. If a perfect being had intended for his creation to be perfect, and he has absolute power, he easilly could have solved that problem.
    As for the complexity of the world, it didn't happen over night. It is the result of billions of years of evolution, and the elements.
    Consider this: There are trillions of stars, that we know of. For each one, there are probably dozens of planets. In such a huge universe; it's almost inevitable, just by the law-of-large-numbers; that at least one of them, would bring together the elements needed to support life, at the right distance from its star.
    Now, this explains how I believe that we came to be as we are; but why do I believe THIS, rather than the beliefs with which I grew up?: Well, I guess for that I'd have to answer that question with another question: do you believe in unicorns, or fairies? Do you believe in Athena, or Ra, or Odin? I'm guessing you don't. And you probably don't because you have no reason TO believe in them. The same is true of Yahweh. In the absence of reason to believe in a god, the logical decision is NOT to believe.
  • Willie 2012/03/18 17:07:36
    Willie
    +2
    The origins of the universe and the purpose of life are complex questions. In simpler times, simpler people demanded, and received, simple answers. Those answers don't make sense to a modern, educated person.

Could there be something beyond our understanding that holds the answers to these questions? I suppose so. Is it the "God" of the bible, as described in the bible? Certainly not. Just as early Christians moved beyond the simpler answers of paganism, it's time for us to move beyond the simple answers of the bible.

That doesn't mean we throw out the good in the bible - there are some answers in it that are so universal, and so obvious, that they should remain with mankind forever (love your neighbor as yourself, for instance).
  • DefendnProtect 2012/03/18 11:42:33
    DefendnProtect
    +5
    I do not believe in gods and spirits in a separate universe.

Do believe human 'leaders' invented and indoctrinated people with concepts of gods and spirits to control the people. Therefore gods and spirits do exist as human ideas and believes in the brains of many people.

god is in the brain
  • Phoenix 2012/03/18 05:12:31 (edited)
    Phoenix
    +3
    As simply as I can put it ....... zero proof and I'm not superstitious.
  • melly~thwarting Satan since... 2012/03/18 04:41:00
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +3
    We don't know if there is. That is an important distinction.

2014/04/23 13:37:37