How Difficult Is It for You to Find Affordable Health Insurance?

Signing up for insurance can be a pain the neck, but without it you could end up footing a bill you can't afford. Health insurance has taken a prominent spot in politics lately as the government attempts to get basic coverage for more people, but good coverage will never be completely free, and selecting a plan that's understandable and affordable can still be a chore. Let us know your thoughts on insurance with this six-question Quick Poll. We'd love to hear from you!

Brought to you by 2insure4less.

• Glfer65 2012/07/12 22:40:57
    Impossible
    Glfer65
    +5
    America is 38th in the world in health rankings and yet they still deny it. Given that we may have the best in medical advancements we have failed miserably in getting to the people that need it the most.

Bankruptcies that are filed over 64% are due to medical bills they can't pay. This is not for any frivolous treatments but life saving ones and necessary ones too. So saying most people can afford it have no clue how they live and the reasons they can't get it.

The stigma of "If I can get it so can they" is what is blinding those who oppose the ACA and the 30 million people without insurance. Cost have been driven up long before the plan was signed into law so you can't throw that argument in.

Insurance companies have been driving costs up for more than 10 years and have no type of control that is needed to reign in so people can actually afford it. The majority of the working class ARE willing to pay their share of a plan which is affordable and covers what should be covered.

Simple, no elective surgeries i.e. plastic or cosmetic and many others that have driven up cost. Also, premiums with reasonable deductibles so no reason they should hit you on the front and back side.

I have said this so many times. The insurance industry values the dollar over the life.

• Chef Bunyan 2012/07/12 20:02:09
    Impossible
    Chef Bunyan
    +1
    I have several serious pre exsisting conditions. (CHF, COPD, POAD & Diabetes) There's no such thing as affordable health insurance for me!
  • Teo 2012/07/12 18:29:31
    Impossible
    Teo
    Private medical insurance is ruining healthcare in the US. Of every dollar received by the medical insurance companies, they spend fifty cents on their own internal operating expenses. This means that our healthcare providers are being paid with the fifty cents left over out of each dollar. This is ruining healthcare in the US.
  • Riku Xander 2012/07/12 18:20:29
    Not difficult
    Riku Xander
    +1
    Might have something to do with living in Canada... Mmmmm, Universal Healthcare~
  • Glfer65 Riku Xa... 2012/07/12 22:42:17
    Glfer65
    So tell these people why you favor yours over ours by 86% or more?
  • tina 2012/07/12 18:17:27
    Very difficult
    tina
    +1
    I am very thankful my job provides my insurance.....If not, I would be paying $550.00 per month for insurance and I cannot afford this....
  • El Prez 2012/07/12 17:34:53
    Somewhat difficult
    El Prez
    If you have the money and/or Medicare you are OK. I don't know what the younger people will do.
  • George Zook 2012/07/12 17:32:40
    Impossible
    George Zook
    +1
    I am covered through my work ...I consider my health insurance to be the major compensation for my work before I came here I had a preexisting condition no one would insure ... only a huge group like New York State Teachers has enough clout to make insurance companies cover preexisting conditions ... if not through work Impossible
  • Andre 2012/07/12 17:26:22
    Impossible
    Andre
    Insure yourself by putting the equivalent of what an insurance would charge into a special bank account. This has always worked for us, even with a $125.000 bill and we retain our freedom of what, who and where
    Impossible
    Next to impossible....
  • waterlady 2012/07/12 17:00:31
    Very difficult
    waterlady
    +1
    In your late 50's it is hard or with a preexisting problem you have a hard time.
  • Fashionable60s 2012/07/12 16:33:08
    Not difficult
    Fashionable60s
    We are lucky because we are covered by employer's group insurance as well as Medicare. We know how expensive it would be had we bought our own health insurance coverage and it would not be as good as a group insurance. We've paid for Medicare tax since its inception so we are also vested here.
  • TJCannabis 2012/07/12 16:20:50
    Impossible
    TJCannabis
    +1
    When you are 100% disabled in this country you are FORCED into the MEDICARE System! You have NO CHOICE !! Getting a SUPPLEMENT to Medicare is controlled at the STATE level!! I live in a STATE where they do NOT offer ANYONE under 65 a SUPPLEMENTAL policy! Most Doctors do NOT accept MEDICARE here cause they pay so little !!! I have MS, is very expensive disease to have!! I make too much money to qualify for any assistant, but I only make 1/3 of what I use to!! My pharmaceutical bill alone is $12,256.60 a month!! Try paying that one without insurance!! If not for Medical Marijuana in this State, my bill would still be that high, but cannabis controls many symptoms of MS !! My Rx bill is now down to under $400 a month!! In this country you DIE without insurance, they will not help you!!! I have 2 friends that are DEAD, cause they could NOT get INSURANCE after being laid off or retiring, one from Cancer the other Diabetes! Hope you do NOT find yourself or a loved one in this situation!!
  • Random TJCannabis 2012/07/22 13:27:40
    Random
    Omg! That's terrible! 12000 and more each month?! Wow!
    I'm very sorry you're in that position. The American system seems so cruel.
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2012/07/12 15:34:48
    Not difficult
    Groundskeeper Willy
    When i was unemployed, i was able to get an 80/20 family policy for less than $300/month, I've not been without health insurance even when i was in my 20s, and it wasn't paid for by employers.
  • George ... Grounds... 2012/07/12 17:54:45
    George Zook
    where did you get $300 a month when you were unemployed ... did you have any preexisting conditions? I had reactive arthritis since I was 19 and no private insurer would cover it only large groups
  • Grounds... George ... 2012/07/19 18:08:30
    Groundskeeper Willy
    Golden Rule Insurance (United Health Care)
  • polkastria 2012/07/12 15:31:48
    Very difficult
    polkastria
    +1
    It was almost impossible until some of the Obamacare provisions started going through.. my husband's work saw the writing on the wall and now the whole family is covered again.. with two of us having long term pre existing conditions.. it wasn't in the cards until recently.
  • Kert 2012/07/12 15:19:35
    Impossible
    Kert
    +1
    I find it saddening that people flock to this so unthinkingly. Be responsible for yourself. Don't fall for the lies... wake the hell up.
  • michael johnson 2012/07/12 15:13:01
    Very difficult
    michael johnson
    +2
    You can go along blithely assuning you have good coverage, only to be bullied and denied coverage when you are hit by a catastrophically expensive health care crisis. Obamacare will preclude insurance companies from pulling this evil stunt on anybody.
  • Kingarthurup 2012/07/12 15:08:22
    Not difficult
    Kingarthurup
    but it will be in 2014
  • Glfer65 Kingart... 2012/07/12 22:51:13
    Glfer65
    Not in CA. Already there are 3 million people among the 7 million getting affordable coverage through exchanges. All the myths have been exposed and it is working in CA.
  • angie45 2012/07/12 14:59:11
    Very difficult
    angie45
    they could make it more simple..
  • X Tamang Tamang 2012/07/12 14:52:32
    Very difficult
    X Tamang Tamang
    very nice.....
  • RJeffreySavlov 2012/07/12 14:50:35
    Impossible
    RJeffreySavlov
    +1
    There are too many required coverages which bog down the system. When you buy a car you pick your options, with insurance, forget it. What is a 60+ year old male going to do with maternity coverage. This, psychiatric care, and many other required coverages should be optional add-ons so that those who want it can buy at additional premium cost.
  • mikeeonly 2012/07/12 14:45:23
    Somewhat difficult
    mikeeonly
    +1
    I don't think anything concerning insurance is easy and they make it more difficult than it has to be.
  • Ex Republican 2012/07/12 14:35:14
    Very difficult
    Ex Republican
    +2
    I suspect those who voted "not difficult" are young and in good health or have good insurance through an employer. But millions of small businesses do not even offer group insurance, and if you are middle aged or older, have a chronic condition, it is impossible.
  • Jensenmk 2012/07/12 14:22:45
    Somewhat difficult
    Jensenmk
    Its cheaper that paying outright for medical costs. Something to consider is an escrow type account; deposit the amount that insurance would cost you into a savings or investment account every month. If you never need to go to the doctor you can amass a considerable amount, if you do go to the doctor, you can pay cash. It won't really work for major medical, unless you are part of a co-op.

The two big differences between insurance and medical escrow account are 1 - who controls the money, and 2 - the rate of return on the investment/payment.
  • zebsmom 2012/07/12 14:21:57
    Impossible
    zebsmom
    +2
    I recently [finally] got a job with insurance. I was forced to pay for coverage when I was in school, even though the policy actually cost more than the annual coverage max-so I was actually better off uninsured.
    That said. The last time I actually looked for insurance privately [reasonably decent insurance that is] it was about 15 years ago and it was over 2K a month for me alone, not even myself and my son. The major medical [5k deductible] was almost a thousand a month. LOL, I'm an assigned risk-I wasn't denied insurance, but the price was prohibitive.
  • Bakool 2012/07/12 14:14:21
    Not difficult
    Bakool
    Every place I have ever worked has provided excellent insurance at an affordable rate.
  • katchan 2012/07/12 14:07:24 (edited)
    Not difficult
    katchan
    +2
    But I live in Canada - where it's not free, as is the common misconception, but paid for via deduction from one's paycheque.
  • overdog001 katchan 2012/07/12 14:19:07
    overdog001
    +3
    Thanks for bringing that up, kat. Nobody has free health care, anywhere in the world. Doctors and nurses eat human food too, and it has to come from somewhere. The only difference is how it's paid for.

TANSTAAFL
  • katchan overdog001 2012/07/16 14:24:15
    katchan
    +1
    And how many hands it passes through along the way :)
  • Mr.Steve 2012/07/12 12:18:57
  • blissful 2012/07/12 08:05:44
    Somewhat difficult
    blissful
    +1
    I hate reading over it cause it has so many clauses and quotes that just don't make any since to me..
  • Pele Emerging 2012/07/12 06:24:43
    Somewhat difficult
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    I am fortunate and extremely thankful to be working. I'm also thankful that insurance is offered through my employment, and though it is costly, I can afford the premiums. My employer pays a small amount, but most of the premium comes out of my own pockets. I thank God I have this available, however.
    Not difficult
    +1
    Medicaid
  • Fef Sister ... 2012/07/12 01:16:39
    Fef
    +2
    does Medicaid cover enough? Have you considered supplemental insurance?
  • Sister ... Fef 2012/07/12 01:20:02
    +1
    The sisters of mercy take care of all med bills they just set up a plan with AmWINSRX..I am spoiled
  • Ex Repu... Sister ... 2012/07/12 14:37:33
    Ex Republican
    +1
    If you are a Catholic nun, it is disgraceful that the wealthy Catholic Church will not provide healthcare for you, but make us taxpayers pay.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/07/11 23:16:23 (edited)
    Not difficult
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    I had cancer, so when I tried to convert expiring COBRA coverage, the insurer suggested I contact Inclusive Health, a high-risk health coverage provider, and despite pre-existing conditions, it took about two weeks to get coverage in place. Not as expensive as I expected, and coverage is pretty good... but not as good as employer-paid coverage.

2014/09/17 07:31:57