Hotel Replaces Bedside Bibles With '50 Shades Of Grey': Hilarious or Horrible?

mrosen814 2012/07/31 21:00:00
Bibles have been booted from The Damson Dene Hotel... and E L James’ BDSM erotica novel "Fifty Shades of Grey" has taken its place in every room within the English inn.

Upon request, the front desk of the hotel will provide bibles. TheFrisky goes on to write "...the replacement has caused much controversy, with people in the United States sending “quite a few e-mails quoting the scripture to [the hotel] and suggesting that it would be a good thing to put the Bible back.”

THEFRISKY.COM reports:
Christian Grey is damn near God-like — at least according to guests’ bedside tables in The Damson Dene Hotel.’
god-like guests bedside tables damson dene hotel bibles booted james

Read More: http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-07-25/hotel-replaces...

• dePSyChO 2012/07/31 21:34:33
    Hilarious
    dePSyChO
    +43
    I mean, think about it - both the Bible and 50 Shades are popular works of fiction. 50 Shades just happens to be a bit more realistic.

• American 2012/08/01 12:14:17
  • the fuze 2012/08/01 11:19:03
    Horrible
    the fuze
    Horrible isn't really how I'd put it, but hilarious is definitely not how I'd put it.
  • L1 2012/08/01 11:17:43
    Hilarious
    L1
    It might be taste; I wouldn't know because I haven't read the novel, but I do think it's funny.
  • Ben 2012/08/01 10:34:09
    Hilarious
    Ben
    Hilarious. And a big publicity stunt - they are the hotel that allowed cameras in last year to film what goes on (UK TV series The Hotel) after all.
  • Ben Ben 2012/08/01 14:59:01
    Ben
    And I've just had a thought - I really hope they're washing the sheets more often if that's the reading material they're providing!
  • Karl 2012/08/01 10:12:49
    Hilarious
    Karl
    +2
    Oh no, the Christians are being persecuted again...
  • Leprachaun999 2012/08/01 10:04:11
    Hilarious
    Leprachaun999
    +1
    Why Not, The Bible has as much sex and violence as any other book. Now I would have chosen a better book then %0 but meh.
  • Radical Ed 2012/08/01 09:56:15
    Hilarious
    Radical Ed
    ideas for the bedroom.
  • Somkey the Hores 2012/08/01 09:32:11
    Horrible
    Somkey the Hores
    +2
    What the HELL is 50 shades of grey?
  • Veritas Somkey ... 2012/08/01 13:27:32
    Veritas
    Here's a news article on the books success. Not much different from a lot of romance novels -- packaged up different with a BDSM edge. The main character refers to himself as "Fifty Shades (messed) up" Well, he uses another word (not messed up). http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13...
  • Dion Pr... Somkey ... 2012/08/01 19:14:55
    Dion Prince
    +1
    50 shades a grey is a terribly written book with unbelieveable issues and urealistic characters. It is so bad that the author must have sold her soul to satan in order to be on the best sellers list.
  • Somkey ... Dion Pr... 2012/08/02 07:00:32
    Somkey the Hores
    No wonder the moonbats love them.
  • GLaDOS Somkey ... 2012/08/01 21:53:53
    GLaDOS
    +2
    A really crappy trilogy of romance novels that have a BDSM flavor to them.
  • Metaldane 2012/08/01 09:20:02
    Hilarious
    Metaldane
    +2
    It makes sense the bible only applies to Christians, not all Christians care if it's there, most who would have one on them anyways, and it's also offensive to non Christian customers to find one in their room. Fifty shades however doesn't really offend anyone and attracts all sorts if people, many may be uncomfortable with it but it's not truly offending them. So more people are gonna be likely to enjoy fifty shades then the bible.
  • Somkey ... Metaldane 2012/08/01 09:33:09
    Somkey the Hores
    The Bible applies to EVERYBODY.
  • Metaldane Somkey ... 2012/08/01 09:43:29
    Metaldane
    +1
    Only Christians it does not apply to members of other religions and life philosophies
  • Somkey ... Metaldane 2012/08/01 09:44:43 (edited)
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/01 09:52:22
    Michael S.
    +4
    Don't you think someone else might say something similar of Islam, or ancient Egyptianism? (Word to the wise: If you're fond of Pascal's Wager, you'll want to pick ancient Egyptianism as your religion, because they have arguably the worst hell and the one you most want to avoid.)

The point here is,
    "The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also." ~ Mark Twain

If you can't relate, you're not thinking rationally. That doesn't mean you can't believe, but it's arrogant to presume you have all the answers with such certainty.
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/01 09:54:27
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/01 10:05:29 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +3
    So Mark Twain is postmodern? People who believe in other religions - and whose ancestors have for thousands of years - are postmodern?

I don't believe in moral relativism or lots of other postmodern staples either. That doesn't mean I have to make the Bible the starting point of all thought...let alone the only possible valid starting point.
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/02 07:02:07 (edited)
    Somkey the Hores
    Don't be stupid. Some people think ahead of their time, but THAT doesn't make them right.
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/02 07:11:34 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +1
    You're dodging: Twain's philosophy shares little in common with postmodernism, and neither does mine. In any case, do you really think your vague pronouncements from on high make you right, with no room for doubt?
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/02 07:16:53
    Somkey the Hores
    Yes. All your mindless philosophy notwithstsnding.
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/02 07:18:43 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +1
    On what basis do you call my philosophy mindless, and yours substantiated?
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/02 07:20:13
    Somkey the Hores
    Truth.
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/02 07:22:15 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +1
    On what basis do you judge truth? (Let's skip a step. Your answer is the Bible, correct?)
    On what basis have you determined the Bible to be truth?
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/02 07:23:15
    Somkey the Hores
    Who needs a basis?
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/02 07:23:38 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +1
    Anyone interested in actually pursuing truth rather than pretending to know it already, based on nothing but a bluff.

You can have blind faith in anything, and your blind faith in the Bible (a very specific work) is just as unconvincing up front as blind faith in Invisible Flying Pink Unicorns or blind faith in The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The a priori probabilities of any of them being absolute truths are roughly equal (and very low), and they remain so until you (or someone) can justify your faith on rational grounds. I have come across many people who have offered much more substantive arguments than yourself (not especially convincing, but at least respectable and delivered with a dose of humility)...but unless and until you are aware of those arguments and capable of formulating them on your own, you are nowhere near the point where you have any business claiming your beliefs as absolute truth beyond any doubt.

Start with asking yourself, WHY do you believe in the Bible? You were not born believing in it; first you had to learn to use your fallible senses and develop the ability for logic and reason, followed by the ability to read. What led you to the Bible in the first place? What made you decide that this specific book is truly the word of God, rather...

Start with asking yourself, WHY do you believe in the Bible? You were not born believing in it; first you had to learn to use your fallible senses and develop the ability for logic and reason, followed by the ability to read. What led you to the Bible in the first place? What made you decide that this specific book is truly the word of God, rather than other religious texts (or none at all)...indoctrination from an early age, or close and careful rational examination of all of them on an equal basis? I could go on, but...that's enough for now.
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/02 07:48:49
    Somkey the Hores
    Pedantic and prolix. Get to the point. Lose the BS.
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/02 07:54:15 (edited)
    Michael S.
    The point was in the first paragraph/sentence, and the rest was elaboration. In fact, I made that part such a concise and direct response to your question that it was more conversational than a complete sentence at all. The only BS I see is coming from you, considering you're the one claiming to have all the answers without providing any supporting evidence.

Still, if your attention span is so short that you have to reduce any conversation about the basis for your entire worldview into sound bites that can fit in a newspaper headline, then you might just be beyond hope.
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/02 08:16:00 (edited)
  • Michael S. Somkey ... 2012/08/02 08:28:30 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +1
    Yes, you must be right. I mean, it must be pretty rare to find someone who has demonstrated such utter ineptitude in the areas of language and reason as myself, right? It sounds like you're a pretty good judge of competence, so pay no mind to anything I say. I'm just the village idiot. ;)
  • Somkey ... Michael S. 2012/08/04 04:30:53
    Somkey the Hores
    At least you can admit it. I give you credit for that.
  • Metaldane Somkey ... 2012/08/01 11:27:06
    Metaldane
    "If one judges all other beliefs to be false then his must also be so for they have the same reasons to believe in their chosen path".
  • xcheshi... Metaldane 2012/08/01 17:52:12
    xcheshirecat
    +2
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
  • Metaldane xcheshi... 2012/08/01 18:20:07
    Metaldane
    +1
    Love that saying too lol
  • Michael S. xcheshi... 2012/08/02 07:20:58 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +2
    Even though I'm not an atheist myself, I really wish more people would really sit down and reflect on this quote and the point it raises.
  • xcheshi... Michael S. 2012/08/02 13:34:49
    xcheshirecat
    yeah it's just about respecting atheism hehe
  • Somkey ... Metaldane 2012/08/02 07:02:26
  • Metaldane Somkey ... 2012/08/02 07:30:56
    Metaldane
    Just proving my point.

2014/08/21 22:08:17