HOME SCHOOL OR PUBLIC SCHOOL?

ANGEL 2012/02/28 15:23:20
I have been looking for more topics that bring people of all backgrounds
together to the table to comment about a topic that we can all relate
to, regardless of your political affiliation, and regardless of whether
you are
involved in Christianity, Judaism, Scientology, Buddhism, Atheism, etc.
Even though SH is made up of a diverse group of people, I think that we probably have more in common than not.

Do you believe a child is better off being home schooled or attending public school?

• Teresa 2012/03/19 00:33:56
    Teresa
    +1
    I just left my public school (high school) two weeks ago so that I can be homeschooled.
    I'm doing so much better, and I'm happier.
  • Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~ 2012/02/28 19:15:35
  • ANGEL Surgeon... 2012/02/28 20:40:35
    ANGEL
    I'm glad it worked for you. I know many kids that it has.
  • Kyle 2012/02/28 18:48:45
    Kyle
    +1
    i rather have home school
  • Rebel Yell 2012/02/28 18:43:15
    Rebel Yell
    Home schooling hits a roadblock when kids get older. How many parents can teach Algebra or Chemistry and set up those labs? Band for one? Choir? French Club? Student Council?

I had a great public school experience but then, my schools were great. I'll always remember certain teachers. I realize all students aren't so lucky. Before deciding to home school a child, a parent should check and see if that state has a home school curriculum that must be followed for graduation elgibility.
  • Mr.Steve 2012/02/28 17:44:45
  • Jiorgia 2012/02/28 16:51:06
    Jiorgia
    +1
    a little bit of both is best, i suppose, i mean you wouldn't want a child learning everything from their parents, but you wouldn't want them to learn everything from a strictly pc standpoint. the world isn't pc...
  • Headhunter 13 2012/02/28 15:39:44
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    Public in most cases. Home schooling tends to teach the ignorance, biases and prejudices of the parents. Not to mention the appalling lack of socialization for the kids with the real world
  • ANGEL Headhun... 2012/02/28 15:43:01
    ANGEL
    +1
    You make a very good point - although the parents wouldn't see it that way. (lol) I had the same concern about socializing that you expressed when I looked at home schooling my kids. (I chose not to do so) I've seen many home schooling parents overcome the socializing issue by joining other home schoolers and making certain that they were socializing. Still - it certainly wasn't exposing the kids to the diverse population that they would encounter in a public school setting.
  • Headhun... ANGEL 2012/02/28 16:08:03 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Yes you got it right here. Plus I have found they tend to have their kids socialize with people of like mentalities. So if there are prejudices or ignorance or bias it is reinforced
  • ANGEL Headhun... 2012/02/28 16:09:29
    ANGEL
    +1
    That is very true. I must admit that that would have been me had I chose that route. As I look at it now, I think my kids would have been raised in a bubble and that they would be lacking for having had such limited exposure.
  • Headhun... ANGEL 2012/02/28 16:13:38
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    I agree 100%, l I feel that I would have been handicapping my kids. I have a PhD and my ex has a Master in Early Childhood education and we felt were were not right to do it
  • Kyra 2012/02/28 15:38:33
    Kyra
    +1
    I home school my kids at the moment... it works GREAT for my 16 year old, but my 7 year old does not like to do her work and hardly sees her friends anymore, I think she will be going back next fall.
  • U-Dog 2012/02/28 15:30:00
    U-Dog
    +1
    Home schooling is best IMO but it depends on the discipline of the parents. Trying to keep the children socially involved as well as mentally and physically active is certainly not as easy a task as some seem to think it is.
  • ANGEL U-Dog 2012/02/28 15:38:26
    ANGEL
    +2
    I think it also depends on what the schools are like in the area you live. Home schooling is quite a challenge. Because of the schools in the area I live, I looked at home schooling when my kids were young - but I realized that I did not have the discipline that it requires. I chose private school which was very expensive - but just chose to give up some of the materialistic perks in life to ensure that my children were better educated.
    +1
    There are pluses and minuses to both. Give the quality of our public schools, home schooling is becoming more and more attractive to many
  • jimbo999 2012/02/28 15:24:55
    jimbo999
    +1
    Public school.

2014/10/22 09:40:03