Home Depot VS Lowes

Belanova 2009/04/24 01:08:17
lowes
Home Depot
which do you like?

• A314 Golden Dragon 2009/04/27 16:44:21
    lowes
    A314 Golden Dragon
    +4
    I can usually find a person in a Lowe's. Home Depot I can wander around for an hour and not find anyone and when I do they know nothing about what I am asking.

• TBinSTL 2012/08/10 18:12:06
    lowes
    TBinSTL
    If I know exactly what I want, I'll go to HD if it's closer. If there is any chance I might want advice or a second opinion, or I'm just browsing, I'll drive twice as far for a Lowes. As for employee attitudes, they both vary by location but Lowes seems to be consistantly better overall.
  • Allen Bucknam 2011/05/11 15:16:05
    lowes
    Allen Bucknam
    Lowes hands down. Employees more knowledgeable and willing to help. Stores easier to navigate.
  • josh Allen B... 2011/11/19 05:56:54
    josh
    +3
    People who compare employees between these two stores are dumber then customer service they are complaining about. There are dumbasses in any store within any company that the majority of the people that work there would love to fire. You can not rate a chain business by walking into a single store and catching a disgruntled employee on his way to his lunch break on only his knowledge. I created an account just to voice the opinion that it makes no sense what is being said about knowledgeable and un-knowledgeable people who work in these stores. I work every day in one of the top fifteen most dangerous jobs and still think I have to deal with ignorant employees. Until the day comes that lowes and home depot require college education prior to pointing a person towards the toilet section will be the same day you can base an argument on which store has better employee knowledge.
  • TBinSTL josh 2012/08/10 18:23:35
    TBinSTL
    +1
    He didn't say a thing about a single store in his review. I have been to dozens of each, in several states due to my work and my experiences match Allen's.
  • FRESH Prince of Beijing 2011/04/25 20:55:12
    lowes
    FRESH Prince of Beijing
    Lowes. It's closer and they've been around longer (by many years) than the HD in my area. Plus, they have a better selection & customer service!
  • tom 2011/03/09 05:25:36
    lowes
    tom
    lowes - vests, home depot - aprons. hmmmmmm
  • brokenlullaby 2010/07/24 16:16:47
    Home Depot
    brokenlullaby
    +1
    As an employee of The Home Depot, I know that all associates are well-trained in customer service, and can get written up or even fired if their bad customer service skills are brought to a manager's attention. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of people slipping through the cracks. It is unfair that those of us who excel at what we do get a bad reputation because of the few that don't. As far as product knowledge goes, I think people need to be more reasonable and understand that not every employee in the entire store can be an expert in every area of home improvement. I understand that it may be frustrating when you're in a rush and need an answer and the nearest person in orange can't give you one. We are all trained to greet every singe customer that we encounter, regardless of whether we're in our own department or not. So that person that said hello to you in the electrical department and couldn't give you advice on ceiling fan installation may have been a flooring or lumber associate on their way to the bathroom. That having been said, when you come across someone who is unable to help you, they are supposed to find someone who can and that's usually where the problem occurs.
  • VeronicaFisher 2010/04/24 08:29:11
    Home Depot
    VeronicaFisher
    +2
    Went to Lowes today, about 10 employees walked by with out saying a word. After waiting for help for about 20 mins, went to home depot. Pretty much got the same exact item for much less, plus didnt have to wait around for someone to greet me and offer help.
  • Josh 2010/03/31 04:21:18
    lowes
    Josh
    +1
    well while Home Depot is closing stores lowes is building more and more, creating jobs
  • Veronic... Josh 2010/04/24 08:25:22
    VeronicaFisher
    +3
    actually, Home Depot didnt close their stores. They closed the "Expo." Thats because 95% of the merch you could get at the Expo, you could purchase in the normal store. In fact 2 new home depots recently opened around my area, and we havent seen a new Lowes open in AGES
  • Josh Veronic... 2010/05/05 23:31:15
    Josh
    +1
    Just built 2 lowes in my area not too long ago, and planing on building a new one within the next 2 years
  • Hellogoodbye 2010/03/22 02:56:31
    lowes
    Hellogoodbye
    +3
    Usually the employees working on the sales floor at HD (If you can find one) have no knowledge of what i need and are never friendly. Lowe's is sometimes a bit pricier but the customer service and knowledge base is outstanding.
  • Home Depot
    ☆☮〶♥♫ ♥H3av3n ♥♫ ♥〶☮☆
    we go there more
  • ChloeCannibal 2009/08/13 18:51:33
    lowes
    ChloeCannibal
    +1
    i like lows better
    butt home depot is a bigger store
    :DDD
  • pulverizerlinus 2009/08/13 17:24:29
  • Machello 2009/06/10 21:27:05
    lowes
    Machello
    +1
    it's cheaper
  • tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2009/06/06 01:19:48
    lowes
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +2
    Generally friendlier and more knowledgable employees. Also, they're a tiny bit closer to my house.
  • BJet 2009/04/29 17:00:36
    lowes
    BJet
    +1
    I used to go there.

Home Depot, I haven't.
  • kitkat 2009/04/28 02:01:23
    lowes
    kitkat
    +2
    I think the quality of goods is better at Lowe's
  • itoldyouso 2009/04/28 00:22:31
    lowes
    itoldyouso
    +1
    I favor Lowes's but their slipping. It was fun to shop because there was always bargin racks, and you could even bid down on those items. As a retired business person I alway was successful because I never let inventory collect dust. Sell it put the money in the cash register and go on with business. I spend $18,000 last year mostly for things I did'nt need. This year dust is collecting on their shelf items again. So I've been giving Home Depot a shot again. The store I used to shop at had employees with bad attitudes, and a management that was no where to be found. I use to complain about the restrooms and the general filthy appearance of the store. It's changed at Home Depot and their running neck and neck with Lowes. Only difference now is I definately can't spend $18,000 on things I don't need.
  • Gordon 2009/04/28 00:05:52
    lowes
    Gordon
    +2
    But Home Depot is local. I gotta drive 30 miles each way to Lowes. Lowes has better quality stuff.
  • Ciara 2009/04/27 23:20:25
    lowes
    Ciara
    +3
    Lowes just seems more friendly. Not to sound wierd. And the have lots more choices then "Home Depot".

lowes lowes friendly sound wierd lots choices home depot
    HaHa!
  • Zetau 2009/04/27 23:04:24
    lowes
    Zetau
    +2
    Distance:
    Home Depot = 2 miles
    Lowes = 16 miles

I wish Lowes would build a new store closer to me. I pass the Home Depot on the way to Lowes.

Selection (by far), service (again by far), as well as the buying experience, itself, are all superior at Lowes.

Think about it: why do you think Lowes survived? Home Depot had the industry all to itself. For any company to challenge that, they had to blow Home Depot out of the water ... and that's exactly what Lowes did.

And then, to add insult to injury, Lowes usually builds their stores as close to the local Home Depot as they can. Great business plan.
  • jared Zetau 2009/12/05 19:11:37
    jared
    There are a lot of lowes beside a home depot. and in my area the home depot parking lots are full and lowes, not so much. pretty empty. and if you actually do a little research Home depot has so many ways for improved customer service it is literally just the push of a button now in any department I thought that was cool and If you find anything cheaper at lowes home depot will match the price with an extra ten percent so there is realy know were cheaper. And look at the buisness side of it home depot stock is rising and lowes is not. so that means home depot is winning the race.
  • Mike jared 2010/10/01 04:08:56
  • tom jared 2011/03/09 05:21:17
    tom
    +4
    lowes will price match any competitor plus 10% off of that also. Lowes has deep roots, home depo, shallow roots...check out their histories.
  • cindyp 2009/04/27 21:00:28
    lowes
    cindyp
    +1
    Seem to have everything I need gardening stuff and plants
  • jacktown kid 2009/04/27 20:45:19
    Home Depot
    jacktown kid
    +1
    They are the best
  • interweb.bad.guy 2009/04/27 20:30:16
    lowes
    interweb.bad.guy
    +2
    I like Lowes, but if you're lookin for good "illegal" workers out front, you'd better go to Home Depot.
  • MindReader 2009/04/27 18:45:23 (edited)
    Home Depot
    MindReader
    +1
    Its extremely close. HD by a nose. All or almost all the Elves are at a "Hold" on both stocks. HD closed at $25.88; LOW closed at $20.62. Market Cap on HD is 44B vs. 30B for LOW. The 2008 High Low is close: HD 30/17; LOW 28/13. The PE wins at present for HD 19:1 vs. 13:1, but it is very very close. close hd 3017 2813 pe wins hd 191 131 close
  • Katie 2009/04/27 18:18:45 (edited)
    lowes
    Katie
    +1
    I LUVs Lady's Home Depot!!! (Lowe's) <3
    lowes
    A314 Golden Dragon
    +4
  • lowes
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +2
    lowes is the better of the 2, but i think both of them suck. They sell way 2 much imported crap that does not last longer than a few months. I believe in supporting my fellow Americans and buy American products. It is hard to do these days, but it is still possible. We have a place called Menards that sell more American made products that both you listed here combined. I also like the mom and pop hardware stores, they are more knowledgeable about their products and they also pay more to their employees. I read someones comment about they wish that Home Depot and lowes would hire more knowledged older people, well guess what? People with knowledge, what to earn more than minimum wage. I support paying a bit more for a product if the people that build it have knowledge about it.
  • Brian [Human Nightmare] 2009/04/27 05:36:18 (edited)
    lowes
    Brian [Human Nightmare]
    +1
    Personally, I'd choose Lowe's. Home Depot isn't that bad either, but Lowe's is my preference. Also, as long as it's not Ikea.

lowes personally choose lowes home depot lowes ikea

"Instructions too impossible and insane to understand? Must be something from Ikea!"
    Haha!
  • Leantom, the Economic Ratio... 2009/04/27 02:23:57
    lowes
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    +1
    Well, I used to hate going to Home Depot with my dad when I was little.
  • chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mag... 2009/04/27 01:56:26 (edited)
    lowes
    chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mage, Smirotiel
    +2
    I've been mischarged and overcharged numerous times at Home Depot, but never at Lowes. Better quality stuff at Lowes too
  • Maltilda 2009/04/27 01:02:52
    Home Depot
    Maltilda
    +1
    I bleed orange.
  • Mike Maltilda 2010/10/01 04:10:25
    +3
    Me too, its called SYRACUSE NY. Depot sucks.
  • Colbert 2009/04/26 21:37:04
    lowes
    Colbert
    +1
    THD sucks.
  • Cliff 2009/04/26 19:27:46
    lowes
    Cliff
    +1
    Blood's thicker than water---Son in law works there!

2014/10/30 09:42:46