Have you seen this??

Flowers 2012/06/27 03:07:11
Related Topics: Freedom, Job
I don't understand why this man was arrested, and the WBC are allowed to continue?? What about freedom of speech? Is anyone else appalled at this?

• Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/06/27 03:18:44 (edited)
    My thoughts...
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +8
    There are hate speech laws in certain cities and states; granted I believe they should have let the idiot yap on, since most of the people there had common sense to ignore the fool. Hate speech is a slippery slope, because the first amendment should allow it as well.

Freedom of speech is not all about protecting the things you want to hear, but the things you don't want to hear as well. I disagree with everything Pat Buchanan says on the topic of race and origin, but would I want him to be censored? No, let him speak his mind, because there will be people like me who will speak mine as well.

• Stan Kapusta 2012/06/27 19:43:08
    Stan Kapusta
    No video or evidence to make a comment on.
  • Flowers Stan Ka... 2012/06/28 13:32:02 (edited)
    Flowers
    sorry that it doesn't work for you. it's a video of a man in an elmo costume, upset in a NYC park yelling about problems he has with Jewish businessmen.
  • Stan Ka... Flowers 2012/06/28 18:32:37
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    He should be upset with the individual. Not because He's Jewish. A--holes come in all lifestyles. So do decent people.
  • caius madison 2012/06/27 15:52:30
    That is a freedom of speech violation
    caius madison
    +1
    Unfortunately, it actually is, however, his freedom was cutting into other freedoms, which is a grey area because you can be arrested for inciting riots or implying violence or soliciting violence.
  • Flowers caius m... 2012/06/27 18:39:43
    Flowers
    yeah, that does make sense
  • caius m... Flowers 2012/06/27 19:00:17
    caius madison
    +1
    I was hoping so, as these kinds of laws are clearly gray areas of the freedom of speech. It only seems to be a partially protected thing.
  • Flowers caius m... 2012/06/27 19:02:58
    Flowers
    i just wish the law would apply to everyone, instead of excluding religious groups. Just because they hide behind the skirts of religion, doesn't mean the words don't incite riots or imply/solicit violence
  • caius m... Flowers 2012/06/27 19:16:31
    caius madison
    +1
    Agreed, and why are some religious groups refered to as terrorists and others not? WBC borders on terrorist activities and is always trying to stir mass groups of people into frenzies over pointless hate. They ought to be investigated, and tried accordingly. Investigated to make sure innocent members of the church are not arrested.
  • Flowers caius m... 2012/06/28 13:33:12
    Flowers
    I agree! I don't feel everyone of them should be simply arrested because they are there. But i think there is definitely criminal activity with the hate speech they spew
  • caius m... Flowers 2012/07/02 18:40:39
    caius madison
    +1
    The one's that speak out from that church are clearly trying to start hate riots.
  • "SennaKoshiba" 2012/06/27 15:07:04
    The cops were doing their job
    "SennaKoshiba"
    Bravo piggies >w<
    Lol, I imagine he was causing a disturbance for everyone else there, and undermining the image of Elmo and Sesame Street's creators.
  • Shanie The Alesana Panda 2012/06/27 15:04:53
  • Huntclan 2012/06/27 14:53:07
    Huntclan
    +2
    Dunno who WBC is, but this could be:

1. Considered "hate speech"
    2. Deemed as "inciting violence"
    3. Demonstration without a permit
    4. Elmo copyright infringement
    5. Disturbing the peace

Just to name a few off the top of my head (spit-balling here). They probably took him downtown, printed him then released him.
  • Flowers Huntclan 2012/06/27 15:02:15
    Flowers
    +1
    westboro baptist church. I didn't feel like typing it all out sorry :) another commenter brought up a good point, the WBC is allowed to say whatever they want, regardless of the inciting violence part because they are protected as a religious organization.
  • **Bessie** 2012/06/27 14:41:23
    My thoughts...
    **Bessie**
    +1
    I don't know. Maybe we missed the beginning of what "he did"? I just don't know.
  • Flowers **Bessie** 2012/06/27 14:47:21
    Flowers
    +1
    i feel like there is more, I just don't know either.
  • Gwen 2012/06/27 14:10:24
    My thoughts...
    Gwen
    +1
    I don't know what this is about, but I hope this is not the same Elmo that we saw in times square. I have a photo of him with my mom, but I don't want to embarrass her on sodahead.
  • Flowers Gwen 2012/06/27 14:13:11
    Flowers
    it might be! :) if he was yelling about Jewish people taking jobs and stuff. this guy got arrested
  • Gwen Flowers 2012/06/28 04:22:25
    Gwen
    ok, well no. But when my mom was posing with him for the photo, he was telling her that he needed to get paid for posing. That's why she's got this strained expression on her face.
  • Flowers Gwen 2012/06/28 13:34:41
    Flowers
    LOL! sounds like a different person maybe. Or different day at the very least. I would have said "what do you think this is, Disney?" at the request for money. but I'm a smartmouth
  • DefendnProtect 2012/06/27 13:53:02
    That is a freedom of speech violation
    DefendnProtect
    +1
    Jews do dominate or are totally over represented in US MSM, Hollywood, banking and politics. That's a fact. And one should be able to debate it in the open rather than being repressed in some dark corners of society. Calling all Jews filthy is not helping his case.
  • Flowers Defendn... 2012/06/27 14:13:44
    Flowers
    +1
    i Agree! he allowed his frustrations to cloud his judgment.
  • Defendn... Flowers 2012/06/27 14:30:19
    DefendnProtect
    +2
    Division trickery politics leads to frustration. It's tough to stand up for humanity especially if you're Jewish.

Courageous woman 1

Courageous woman 2

Courageous guy
  • Flowers Defendn... 2012/06/27 14:37:49
    Flowers
    +2
    :(( wow, that last video was disturbing. what happened to him, is he okay??
  • Defendn... Flowers 2012/06/27 14:54:49
    DefendnProtect
    +1
    Don't know. I'm not sure if Lucas Kerner is his real name, the uploader probably wanted to show Israel police brutality foremost. I searched and couldn't find a hit on what happened if Lucas Kerner is his real name.
  • Flowers Defendn... 2012/06/27 15:05:32
    Flowers
    +1
    I wouldn't have the courage to do that in another country. the risk of doing it in this country is great enough. I hope he is okay. Yes, I do think the original intent was to show the brutality towards even Jewish people. the whole world is crumbling with violence and anger, I fear.
  • Defendn... Flowers 2012/06/27 15:13:07
    DefendnProtect
    +1
    I love Americans standing up for human rights and liberty. Great you do too!

• Professor Wizard 2012/06/27 13:40:09
    The cops were doing their job
    Professor Wizard
    Probably not as much about freedom of speech - - and more about an adult male walking the streets in an Elmo Suite trying to pick up children to satisfy his pedophilia urges.
  • Flowers Profess... 2012/06/27 13:51:23
    Flowers
    no where in the video I saw was he trying to attract children. Do you have something I didn't see, or just making a offensive comment because of his topic?
  • JeanLouiseCollins 2012/06/27 12:04:33
    My thoughts...
    JeanLouiseCollins
    I think if the cops decided he was going to start a struggle,inciting for trouble,possibly unstable,no matter who he rants against,they were preventing further trouble. They were doing their job.He may possibly be a nut case and getting him off to side they might find out what danger he might be to self or others.His hatred of Jews makes us more sensitive and that is ok with me. The costume made him appear more of a nut.
  • Flowers JeanLou... 2012/06/27 13:07:13
    Flowers
    I agree, the costume didn't help his case.
  • foxhound BN0 2012/06/27 11:40:49
    That is a freedom of speech violation
    foxhound BN0
    +2
    this country is messed up since Bush and 911 and the "patriot" act. free speech is dead. no offense righties but you asked for it when you supported the "patriot" act. you pretty much took away our rights with your "patriotism"
  • Flowers foxhoun... 2012/06/27 13:08:02
    Flowers
    +2
    I get what you are saying, I just don't understand why more people aren't concerned about the direction our country is going in because of both parties corruption
  • foxhoun... Flowers 2012/06/27 13:24:40
    foxhound BN0
    I agree.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/06/27 04:24:45
    My thoughts...
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +3
    I get your point, but unfortunately Fred Phelps et al are protected not just by free speech but by freedom of religion. I agree it's crap, but...

And I don't know what the limitations would be in a NY public park for Fred -- he shows up at funerals like the coward he is where nobody wants to make a scene anyway.

I almost think it's too bad the cops arrested this creep. Nobody was paying any attention to him, and hate speech laws are so tricky -- they ARE a violation of absolute free speech and not very well defined because they can't be (hence the tricky part lol). Otoh, this guy may have been someone on meds who stopped taking them and who would escalate beyond hate speech to violence, who could tell.

Poor Elmo; I don't think Jim Henson ever envisioned a Muppet being used this way.
  • Flowers jubil8 ... 2012/06/27 13:08:49
    Flowers
    +1
    :) great comment Jubil8 thanks!
  • Defcon 2012/06/27 04:08:13 (edited)
    My thoughts...
    Defcon
    +2
    Anti-Semic Nazi, same with henry ford
  • Flowers Defcon 2012/06/27 13:09:37
    Flowers
    +1
    anti-jewish quite possibly. I don't see how ANY of the comments that guy made could be labeled as "nazi"

People throw that word around TOO much
  • Defcon Flowers 2012/06/27 14:18:21
    Defcon
    What I was meaning about nazi is because the German Socialist workers party (nazi party) had very anti-Semic ideology.
  • Flowers Defcon 2012/06/27 14:26:22
    Flowers
    Yeah, I completely understand the term, I just don't see how it is applied here. Just because one talks against the Jewish community doesn't automatically make them a nazi

2014/04/18 08:07:34