Have you heard of the gifts of the Holy Spirit ?

prayer warrior 2012/05/23 14:15:16
Related Topics: Gifts, Gift
They are fear of the Lord, piety,Knowledge,fortitude,counsel,understanding and wisdom.

• Cantus_bird 2012/05/23 14:59:11
    Cantus_bird
    +1
    I've come across them reading the scriptures but gave them no thought beyond that. It's not something i've ever dwelt upon as far as my memory goes anyways. I am guessing that back in the old days the disciples would have had need of these as their days are not necessarily the same as our days.
  • prayer ... Cantus_... 2012/05/23 15:02:43
    prayer warrior
    +1
    Thank you for your response but I feel they are really necessary in this day and age
  • Cantus_... prayer ... 2012/05/23 15:08:01
    Cantus_bird
    +1
    You're welcome. We have almost everything at our fingertips to provide us with everything, except what path may be best for us as an individual as there is so much in this world that can take our minds away from God. We may not know what is best for us but God knows our hearts and our minds however, for those who do believe, i'm afraid you'll have to go to God for that information.
  • prayer ... Cantus_... 2012/05/23 16:09:07
    prayer warrior
    +1
    Thank you when I said that they are necessary I was talking about the gifts as a connection to God. So we agree and again thank you.
  • Cantus_... prayer ... 2012/05/23 16:10:35
    Cantus_bird
    +1
    Sorry, my mistake for misunderstanding you Prayer Warrior and again, you're very welcome.
  • Headhunter 13 2012/05/23 14:28:54
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Yes they are another myth about a mythical creature that was created by the catholic church in the early days. If I recall my teaching correctly their were not added to the ritual beliefs until much later in church history. You also do not receive these gifts until confirmation. They were based on something from the Jewish OT called 7 gifts of the lord
  • prayer ... Headhun... 2012/05/23 14:34:01 (edited)
    prayer warrior
    +1
    Thank you for the response. I am not so sure you get them at confirmation because knowledge seems to fleeting to many.
  • Headhun... prayer ... 2012/05/23 19:14:19
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    That is the dogma and position of the roman catholic church. It is part of what they taught us for confirmation. Then you have to take into account that all the various christian sects of the cult of abraham often have conflicting or contradictory ideas
  • prayer ... Headhun... 2012/05/23 21:28:26
    prayer warrior
    Yep since the Muslims are children of Abraham also they want to kill his other children.
  • Headhun... prayer ... 2012/05/23 22:35:06 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Yep just like the jews and christians have for thousands of years. Must be the nature of that cult. After all wasn't one of the early stories in the bible about brother killing brother
  • prayer ... Headhun... 2012/05/24 01:05:37
    prayer warrior
    yes Cain and Abel
  • Headhun... prayer ... 2012/05/24 12:47:59
    Headhunter 13
    So is that the precedent for all 3 sects of the cult. To kill each other?
  • prayer ... Headhun... 2012/05/24 16:02:05
    prayer warrior
    +1
    Actually I was studying something about right to life and among the Catholics it talks about justifiable killings. The Catholics say that there might be justification for killing in individual cercumstances. I posted a question to see what people thought about killing in the following areas murder,self defense,Capital punishment,War, abortion,euthanasia, and suicide
  • Headhun... prayer ... 2012/05/24 16:35:11
    Headhunter 13
    But what does this have to do with our discussion and the question posed about the gifts of holy spirit?

There are also some things you are missing about killing. First the original wording in the talmud is thou shalt not murder, not thou shall not kill. I think you would have a hard time finding any catholic that would use the word justification. Although each and every religion has justified murder and more in the name of their god. Just so happens that jews, christians and muslims all do it in the name of the same god of abraham.

Remember also that what became the catholic chruch invented christianity and wrote the NT based on hear say and myth
  • prayer ... Headhun... 2012/05/24 17:01:35
    prayer warrior
    +1
    Well you menetioned killing and I responded to that. Well I read the commandment and it stated thou shall not kill. But would you not call killing others in war murder.? That means any taking of life becomes murder.

Well I went to this class and the person teaching it called it justifable war or just war. They said capital punishment is justifable if you are trying arrest a serial killer and he gives you no choice but to kill him. Well sometimes jusifying murder in the name of God is still murder.

Ok I do remember that they decided to determine which books to include in the New and Old testament.

Thank you for your input as always giving me something to think about.
  • Headhun... prayer ... 2012/05/24 17:08:40
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Thank you for the respect and open mindedness you bring to a debate and discussion. Actually it can be said they decided what books but no one has ever seen any of the so called books they decided upon. And that is just for the NT. The OT is basically the hebrew talmud and that is where the commandments are and that is where it says murder.

As for your class that was someone playing semantics and being an apologist. Take for example "They said capital punishment is justifable if you are trying arrest a serial killer and he gives you no choice but to kill him." That might work if you found him in the act and shot his ass dead on the spot. But once an arrest is made and a trial held that changes the entire story. He does not give you the right to kill him nor does he deny you the right. That is plain law. And based on the bible all sorts of executions for all sorts of reasons from trivial to important are justified and even encouraged and at time ordered. Didn't god order the genocide of every man, woman, child and animal at Jericho?
  • prayer ... Headhun... 2012/05/24 17:13:59
    prayer warrior
    +1
    Yes I believe you are right or was that a man who justified the killing of all the men, women and children by saying God told me to do it?

Thank you we only learn by opening our ears and minds and besides no one has all of the answers.
  • Headhun... prayer ... 2012/05/24 17:20:08
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    I have them but I hate showing off. LOL. Have a great holiday weekend
  • prayer ... Headhun... 2012/05/24 18:40:07
    prayer warrior
    +1
    You enjoy your holiday weekend also !!!!

2014/10/22 12:26:38