Have You Ever Talked Your Way Out of a Ticket?

Freshwire 2013/02/14 23:28:22
Most of us do our best to follow the rules when we're on the road, but life happens. Maybe you were running late to a meeting, risked going a few miles per hour over the speed limit, and got caught; maybe you didn't realize there was a "No Right on Red" sign and went for it, even though you know there was a police car right behind you. Even talking on your phone can get you in trouble in most states.

Whatever your experience with getting (or avoiding) traffic tickets, we want to hear about it. If you have a minute or two, take our 8-question poll, and feel free to explain yourself in the comments section! It's rarely a simple story.

• glass_butterfly ~YSU~ 2013/03/03 00:45:00
    glass_butterfly ~YSU~
    But my dad once used me to get out of a ticket. We were coming home one night and we got pulled over. My dad said "Cry!" I immediately started crying on cue and my dad made up some story about having to get home. The cop saw a hysterical 9 year old me and told us to be careful and sent us on our way. My dad: "I guess those acting classes weren't a total waste..."

Family bonding!
  • Blueskys 2013/03/02 11:31:45 (edited)
    Blueskys
    There is not very many of them. Do they still pull people over and write tickets?

MPs stopped me once. I was massively drunk and doing twirls with my car to the Blue Danube, 3 am on base. I think I was telling jokes, does that count? anyway they got me to the barracks and no court martial.

I was checking stats. My city has a officer for every 2400 people.

LA has 2 per 1000.

NYC has 4 and a fraction per 1000.

Washington DC has 6 per 1000.

East coast must be violent.
  • Tabby 2013/03/01 22:32:14
    Tabby
    Havent needed to yet :)
  • tredzwater 2013/03/01 20:13:01 (edited)
    tredzwater
    Three times. Once through sheer luck, once by being truthful & once...not so much.

The first time was when my muffler started screaming loudly on a Sunday, back in the days when everything closed on Sunday. A highway patrolman stopped me & went back to his car to get his ticket book. I asked him to show me where a muffler was (as I opened the hood) so that I wouldn't get cheated at the garage. And, yes, I did know where it was. He found the "stupid woman" so funny that he "showed" me where to find it and sent me on my way.

The second time was when I was stopped for having an expired tag sticker. In emptying my purse onto the hood, I pulled out a syringe with a French catheter on the end of it. He asked if I was a diabetic and I, clueless, said I wasn't. He then pointed to the syringe. "Oh", I said, I've just come from doing an artificial insemination on my dog." (who was in the back of the car) Then, I handed him the syringe and said, "You're welcome to have it tested." He said, "No, ma'am. No one would make that up." He then got into the cruiser & drove away...probably laughing his head off.

The last time was short & easy & unplanned. I got stopped for speeding & broke into tears. The HP asked me if I was crying because of some OTHER crime & I just said that being stopped was the last straw in a horrible day. He wrote me a warning.
  • lunatic tredzwater 2013/03/19 04:10:02
    lunatic
    +1
    i lol'ed. :D
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2013/03/01 01:26:17
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Sorry to say!
  • capoeirakid 2013/02/28 17:26:15
    capoeirakid
    I'm only 17 and I still only have my learner's permit, so I haven't gotten a ticket. But once I saw my grandfather speed and talk to a cop and get out of a ticket. He's crazy. When he was 15, he went out drinking with his friends and they were driving home and a cop pulled them over. He took the keys and put them in the keyhole in the trunk so it locked the trunk while the trunk door was up and he threw the keys in and shut the trunk. Remember that it was the '60's and they had no cell phones. He said, "By the time you boys figure out how to get home, you should be sober to drive." So my grandfather commits under-aged drinking and he aids a DUI and he gets away with it, and the cop allows an adult to allow under-aged drinking and commit a DUI and the cop gets away with it. I need to learn from both of them.
  • Kigan 2013/02/28 15:56:19
    Kigan
    +1
    I haven't had to. Besides, as a man I'm lacking certain body parts in the chest area, so even if I do get pulled over and attempted a sob story, no cop is going to listen.

One of my closest friends, on the other hand, has talked her way out of at least one ticket and I guarantee he didn't hear a word she said.
  • BrazenOpinions 2013/02/28 15:38:06
    BrazenOpinions
    +2
    Multiple times, I have been stopped whilst walking the streets of Lindsay absolutely blacked out drunk. The conversation usually starts out the same. Do you know where you are? Do you have ID? This and that, not once have I ever been issued a drinking ticket. I find being polite and coherent is the best way to accomplish that.
  • Ray the Dog! 2013/02/28 15:13:48
    Ray the Dog!
    +1
    Years ago I was parked in Sauchieihall Street- a very busy street in my hometown of Glasgow..
    As was my custom, I had stopped off to have my morning coffee in a favourite restaurant of mine-directly opposite to where my car was parked. When i was coming out I saw that a traffic warden- a very comely curvaceous lass in her uniform- was about to slap a ticket on my windscreen. Approaching her with what I hoped was my most winning smile (!) I said: " You don't need to do that. Why don't you let me take you out for a drink tonight instead?" She looked me up and down and, I must admit, a little to my surprise, replied: " All right then. Where will we meet?"
    After that we had quite a few nice "nights" together..
    Sadly, that was many years ago and I know i wouldn't get away with it nowadays...!
  • captain 2013/02/28 11:40:47
    captain
    +2
    Yep most officers are human. Show respect and you might get a break.
  • Anonymous captain 2013/03/02 02:43:55
    Anonymous
    Exactly, they're human, and they have a target to meet, which is why they're more likely to give you a ticket, even if it's for barely a reason. They, like any other person, just want to earn some money, and if they don't meet their quota, they don't do well in their job.
  • Anonymous 2013/02/28 09:36:27
    Anonymous
    +1
    You should really specify. Do you mean successfully?
  • Cheryl314 2013/02/28 05:53:06
    Cheryl314
    +2
    I haven't been pulled over in a LONG TIME! But in the past, when I have, I throw out a few names of officers I know who work in the local dept. and I've gotten off.
  • Medulla Oblongata 2013/02/28 03:52:48
    Medulla Oblongata
    +1
    I've never had a ticket to flirt my way out of. ;)
  • Misty 2013/02/27 20:26:11
    Misty
    +1
    I've never gotten a ticket. Yet. *knocks on wood for some sense of luck in the future*
  • Shae 2013/02/27 19:23:25
    Shae
    +1
    I let the cop rant and rave and yell at me for 15 min.
    Then he let me go..... I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut.
  • Phyllis Murphy 2013/02/27 17:18:04
    Phyllis Murphy
    +1
    A couple times but speeding was a problem...state cop stopped me at 85mph one morning as I was speeding to college classes. he came over, leaned in the window and said, "You don't look like someone who would drive 85mph, and I quickly agreed with him that it was an unusual moment for me, hence, no ticket." (I deserved the ticket cause I loved speed)
  • Phyllis... Phyllis... 2013/02/27 17:22:18
    Phyllis Murphy
    Forgot, other time, same speed but in different county...went to court to meet with young lawyers processing we law breakers...happened to take a law study guide as I was going to take LSAT exam for law school...young lawyer queried me about it and told him that I was trying to get into law school and my first degree was a two year program in law...Voila! no ticket...but, I do not advocate such behavior but was always in such a hurry driving distances to get to classes....A couple times had to pay and now I am old and do not speed...perhaps a ticket for going to slow would be more appropriate...I was not young nor beautiful when getting out of the other tickets...just something about me I guess....Ha! Ha!
  • Glen McLeod 2013/02/27 16:34:50
    Glen McLeod
    no, that's why i just try not to get a ticket in the first place.ticket
  • CAPISCE 2013/02/27 16:11:48
    CAPISCE
    +4
    That usually requires Big Boobs and Blonde Hair
  • ☆stillt... CAPISCE 2013/03/01 01:27:00
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +2
    Lol, you may be right.
  • tredzwater CAPISCE 2013/03/01 20:18:54
    tredzwater
    Red hair helps, too. And green eyes. I think the Big Boobs are mandatory in any case.

heh, heh, heh
  • Soms Cougli 2013/02/27 12:39:10
    Soms Cougli
    +1
    I've cried my way out of two or three...
  • Julius 2013/02/27 08:51:29
    Julius
    +1
    once i was out driving with my dad, and because we were in a hurry i had forgotten to put on my seatbelt, so it wasn't long before we were pulled over, but because i was a cute 4 year old i put on a very onvincing story and he let us go on the condition that i would put on my seatbelt
  • Michael S. 2013/02/27 00:27:40 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +1
    Most traffic cops only care about meeting their quotas and such, but every once in a while you'll find one with a heart.

In my case, I was let off with a warning once as a teenager. It was my first time driving a car that wasn't a rickety beater, and I ended up maxing at 50 in a 35 without realizing it. The ride was just so much smoother than I was used to, and the steering wheel and car weren't shaking like crazy, so it felt like I was going a normal speed (i.e. between 35 and 40). I was pulled over by a female officer in her 30's or 40's who just so happened to care, and she let me off with a warning after (I suppose) sensing the sincerity in my voice. Either that or she was just sweet on me. ;) I'll never really know why, but I'll always remember it.
  • Rebel 2013/02/26 22:26:26
    Rebel
    Yes I have. Also the emt plates on my car help. A lot of cops wont target fellow brothers in the line of 911. I rarely do anything worth being pulled over for anyways.
  • JS311 2013/02/26 21:09:03
    JS311
    +1
    I meant 'no'.
  • MrsJJS 2013/02/26 20:39:01
    MrsJJS
    +1
    Yes but not intentionally. I got out of two tickets.
    The first time-I did an illegal U Turn didn’t see the cop sitting there. He immediately pulled me over to tell me I make an illegal U Turn. I apologized profusely and told him I was lost (which I was and often am). I knew pretty quick I wasn’t going to get a ticket when his reply started with, “Well little lady where ya tryin’ to get to?” So I told him, he replied, “Well what you want to do is……”…lol

The second time- In a small town I used to live in there were 14 lights that ran right down the main street. After 11pm all the lights flash yellow. Now I know that I’m supposed to go through the intersections with caution but it was a Sunday night and there wasn’t another sole on the road so I exceeded the speed limit a bit (not much) and flew through all the lights. When I got to the last one the police pulled me over. I was bricking it…he walked up to the car and said to me, What do you think you’re doing? Jokingly I said, “I was trying to beat the yellow light” Apparently he thought I was serious, started belly laughing and told me off and sent me on my way.
  • Edwin 2013/02/26 17:03:53
    Edwin
    +1
    Many times. I don't know if that is something I should be proud of, though...
  • BigFig#9 2013/02/26 16:59:01
    BigFig#9
    +2
    Yes. However my wife (who carries an Andretti or Unser gene) used to burst into tears every time she was pulled over which worked wonderfully when she was young, there were very few female officers and all the officers knew her brother and sister in law who were officers (somehow this fact always seemed to enter the conversation). Now like me in her mid 50's, pulled over by female officers often and with her relatives long retired she's had to slow down. And they say justice is blind....
  • Trish 2013/02/26 15:13:55
    Trish
    Never had a ticket
  • Marshall Maxwell 2013/02/26 14:53:53
    Marshall Maxwell
    I don't ever suck up to Police Officers. Just give me the ticket so I can go about my business.
  • shadow76 2013/02/26 10:07:48
    shadow76
    +2
    Only had 3.
  • OzSurfer 2013/02/26 09:36:26
    OzSurfer
    +1
    Well kind of. One year I got pulled over for speeding and was having a major hayfever attack and the cop thought I was crying, told me I should act like a man and pull myself together, it was really funny in hindsight, but he let me off, the only time hayfever was a good thing!
  • carlton999 2013/02/26 03:33:47
    carlton999
    never talked my way out of a ticket but when I cut off all my hair and shaved my goatee off a Highway Patrol Officer changed his mind about giving me one. He asked my why the drastic change in my appearance. I told him that I was going to apply to the LAPD. He handed my back my License and wished me good luck.
  • rusty 2013/02/26 02:10:43
    rusty
    I've always been very respectful of law enforcement. I've been pulled a few times for tail lights and such, but never got any tickets. You can't talk your way out of it and you will more likely make the situation worse
  • diane.woodcock 2013/02/25 20:45:20
    diane.woodcock
    I had a nice cop!
  • Mungam44 2013/02/25 20:28:10
    Mungam44
    I got stopped for doing 98mph (and I was) in a 65mph zone on the Taconic State Parkway in New York. The trooper asked why I was driving so fast. I told him I had no excuse but I was going that fast because the company for which I was driving got me out late and I wanted to get home for a hot date that I had that night. He smiled, shook his head and said that if I promised to drive sanely the rest of the way back to Massachusetts he would write the ticket up for 75mph. That would negate the need for me to get out of the car and to accompany him to see the local judge normally required for reaching those velocities on a public road. I thanked him and drove home at a reasonable speed and mailed in the fine with the ticket.
  • miiyou 2013/02/24 11:49:01
    miiyou
    +1
    Don't even drive.

2014/04/20 05:55:40