Have you ever taken any form of anti depressants?

Just Stressed 2013/02/17 12:53:18
Related Topics: Anti

• Dickens 2013/02/17 18:58:14
    Dickens
    +3
    ..yep...I took nortriptoline, Prozac and Paxil....then I got a divorce and never needed anti-depressants again!...all I'm saying is..if you're taking anti-depressants, try to find out WHY you're depressed...

• Tattoo Nana 2013/02/20 01:29:36
    Tattoo Nana
    I have taken anti-depressants most of my adult life.
  • Hakking 2013/02/19 16:49:18
  • La 2013/02/18 00:13:21
    La
    Don't need them
  • Crische 2013/02/17 19:22:06 (edited)
    Crische
    +2
    Don't. It's never a real fix, it just numbs the feelings that are weighing you down, but they're still there, killing your spirit. Using your own volition (like a muscle) to hold you up and let off that stress/drag and to seek that state of mind that is levity and happiness (centered, still mind) is where you'll really find yourself. I'd rather take something that at least juices the mind up, instead of numbing it down. I took Paxil for a little bit and would notice my heart occasionally skipping a beat or something and after I had stopped taking it I started to see those commercials about dangerous drugs and one for Paxil that expressed people having bad heart complications and others from taking it, and many of them are just the same. You almost never see a prescription drug commercial that doesn't say it comes with a possible side effect of stroke, seizure, sleepwalking, heart attack, etc. Ridiculous that we treat them all like it's okay just because the gov't hasn't made them illegal like other (usually less deadly) illicit drugs. Personally I'm a MJ guy which I think is mostly still illegal because it would replace all the thousands of artificial prescription drugs for each and every little 'illness', by making people realize all those emotions are in your head and ...
    Don't. It's never a real fix, it just numbs the feelings that are weighing you down, but they're still there, killing your spirit. Using your own volition (like a muscle) to hold you up and let off that stress/drag and to seek that state of mind that is levity and happiness (centered, still mind) is where you'll really find yourself. I'd rather take something that at least juices the mind up, instead of numbing it down. I took Paxil for a little bit and would notice my heart occasionally skipping a beat or something and after I had stopped taking it I started to see those commercials about dangerous drugs and one for Paxil that expressed people having bad heart complications and others from taking it, and many of them are just the same. You almost never see a prescription drug commercial that doesn't say it comes with a possible side effect of stroke, seizure, sleepwalking, heart attack, etc. Ridiculous that we treat them all like it's okay just because the gov't hasn't made them illegal like other (usually less deadly) illicit drugs. Personally I'm a MJ guy which I think is mostly still illegal because it would replace all the thousands of artificial prescription drugs for each and every little 'illness', by making people realize all those emotions are in your head and ultimately yours to balance and wield upon the world instead of being imprisoned by those mental shackles. Lift yourself; input your energy, mustered from anything and everything, to balance out the force of gravity that is sucking you downward (spiraling). The more you attempt it, the easier it gets like anything else, to practice your flight of imagination, open up and out (spine is your axis, can spin yourself to immense speeds, find your centerpoint).
  • Drageona 2013/02/17 19:08:44
    Drageona
    +1
    Yes I do now, but when I was younger or working didn't need them.
    They have me on a form of Prozac right now ever since I have a major surgery.
  • Dickens 2013/02/17 18:58:14
    Dickens
    +3
  • BUNNIES 2013/02/17 17:33:35
    BUNNIES
    +1
    ya! they're gross penises!
  • James Adams 2013/02/17 17:31:13
    James Adams
    +1
    I am happy, I do not take things too serious. Just having fun having a laugh though life.]

Being silly is so fun!
  • rand 2013/02/17 17:30:38
    rand
    +2
    I worked for over 3 decades in the mental health industry and was a reality therapist who believed that antidepressants would mask issues that I needed to face. Exercise, meditation, and cognitive restructuring have worked well for me.
  • lucythetooth 2013/02/17 17:08:09
    lucythetooth
    Nope.
  • superangrymonkey 2013/02/17 16:35:16
    superangrymonkey
    They did not help.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/02/17 15:19:34
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    But only over the counter......

vodka
  • KSJR362 - Not what you think 2013/02/17 15:15:16
    KSJR362 - Not what you think
    +1
    After years and years of fighing the concept of prescription drugs I finally decided to try. Lexapro was useless.

Then my doctor prescribed Zoloft. It has helped me to be able to control my thoughts, or at least slow them down enough to think things over rationally.

Drugs are not for everyone or the complete answer. They are not always the right answer.

I think, for me, the time it took to prescribe the zoloft and the years of therapy and looking through my mental health history is what lead to the Zoloft.
    save my life
  • Trish 2013/02/17 14:28:35 (edited)
  • Tam LiquidCrystalOscillator... 2013/02/17 14:22:19
    Tam LiquidCrystalOscillator Jade
    +2
    WEEEEEED weed
  • Sophia(SoSo) 2013/02/17 13:53:52
    Sophia(SoSo)
    +1
    Zoloft, and Risperdal
  • Tropiceagle33 2013/02/17 13:52:13
    Tropiceagle33
  • Harley Squiggles the God \(... 2013/02/17 13:51:29
  • irish 2013/02/17 13:47:51
    irish
    +1
    and neither should anyone.
  • Jack's Pearl 2013/02/17 13:45:42
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    I have bipolar and am very successfully treated with my meds. I am mostly affected by the manic part of my illness, so I'm given more medication for anxiety then depression. Lithium is the one that levels me out. Takes care of depression and anxiety, or in my case mania. I'm doing very well. There is one thing I can't stress more, and that is communication! Communicate with your doctor about how you feel. What is going on. Don't just quit thinking it won't work for you. It will. You just need to get the correct dosages.
  • irish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 13:50:43
    irish
    +1
    the side effects are not worth it.
  • Jack's ... irish 2013/02/17 15:30:06
    Jack's Pearl
    +3
    I have had no serious side effects, especially not compared to being ill. I can't function if I don't treat my bipolar. At one point I was feeling too tired, and my Dr. lowered the does. Solved. You do gain weight, but I'd rather do that then suffer from my mental illness. No doubt there.
  • irish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 15:38:25
    irish
    you have to constantly monitor your kidney functions and thyroid functions.
    you don't have a mental illness. you have a dysfunction somewhere in your body.
  • Jack's ... irish 2013/02/17 15:44:31
    Jack's Pearl
    +3
    That is incorrect. If you'd been through what I have and now are doing so well, you'd know the diagnosis is correct. You sound like one of those people who doesn't believe in mental illness. Well, you need to study it to understand. I've lived it so I know I'm doing the right thing now.
  • irish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 15:47:33
    irish
    i have been thru it with my now 25 yr old daughter. and i know from dealing with the psych industry for over 15 yrs its a scam.
    it is NOT a mental illness. it may be a physical dysfunction or a coping dysfunction. but its not mental. all those drugs you take all clearly state in the PDR "mechanism of action unknown". they have no idea what works and what doesn't. the side effects are not worth it.
  • Jack's ... irish 2013/02/17 15:57:06
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    I don't believe that at all. Good day.
  • irish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 16:02:28
    irish
    well,then why would i believe you are bi-polar? i have no reason to lie. i have been thru it all. and it was no picnic either. you are ,as usual,too defensive. take your drugs,never mind the side effects.
  • Jack's ... irish 2013/02/17 16:11:11
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    I'm not defensive. LOL I'm stating what I believe to be true based of what I've studied and my own experience. How is that being defensive? And as usual? We barely talk. Why are you turning this into a personal issue? It's not.

Why can't you understand that I believe fully in mental illness and that I have bipolar. It was not a cake walk to get here either. How do you explain all the troubles going away when I was diagnosed properly for once? And it's been four years now. Doing great! I know it works for me. I know what I have and how to treat it. You don't know me or my life at all so you cannot suggest via the internet that I do not have a mental illness. That is highly ill informed.
  • irish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 16:16:43
    irish
    i merely stated my experience which you then denied because it was at odds with yours. who made it personal? in effect you called me a liar.
    you can believe anything you choose. it doesn't mean its true. the causes of bipolar are not even known by psychiatrists or psychology let alone medicine.
    did it ever occur to you that perhaps you wanted a diagnosis and accepted that version and so it appeared that it worked? placebo's work that way too.
    your own psychiatrist can't diagnose it either. they "suspect" it is this or that. there is no test to use to determine it. psychiatry is based on human behavior. the drugs they suggest you need are not worth it. perhaps natural remedies to mood swings would be in order.
  • Jack's ... irish 2013/02/17 16:22:33
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    You are taking this too personally. I don't believe your experience because mine is so different. I did not intend to call you a liar at all. I just don't believe what you do. I find these claims you are making are can be highly dangerous in that you don't claim any validity in mental illness. It is offensive to me that I can sit here and explain my experience and how in no doubt it has helped me in my life, but you discredit that completely. I do believe that some people out there are seriously mentally ill and the stigma needs to be taken off of it for one. It's sad that it is stigmatized and therefore many don't get the much needed help. I think we are done. Respectfully. This is a very personal thing in my life that I'm very open about, but I don't wish to discuss it further with you. It's pointless for both of us.
  • irish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 16:34:11
    irish
    oh i see. so the fact that it doesn't fit into your preconceived ideals makes it invalid.
    i was speaking of bipolar issues. bipolar seems to be more of a behavior issue. lack of coping mechanisms. lack of learning in how to deal with situations.
    dangerous to whom?? geez!
    i was questioning your glowing endorsement of drugs . they are dangerous. to all bodily systems,the side effects are the worst and make the any benefits pale in comparison. this is why psychiatrists are constantly changing drugs.
    menatl illness is different than bipolar disorder,you even said that yourself when you called it "a chemical imbalance". thats physiological not mental.
  • Jack's ... irish 2013/02/17 16:43:33
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I didn't say it was invalid either. Not to all. But for me I know what has worked. Why can't you see that? This is why I didn't want to go on anymore...because we will go round and round and round. You think my life experience and the fact I'm doing well now from my bipolar is invalid. Of course these meds can be dangerous and you need to be responsible when on them. But this is the choice I make over my bipolar. And it is not a behavior problem. It is a chemical imbalance in my brain. I truly have one and the meds straighten it out. No behavior modification, just the meds and I'm much better. I can only explain that by what I know to be a chemical imbalance that is corrected with the medications. I've had counseling too, because going through all of this is horrifyingly scary. You need help to cope with the illness. At least in the start I did. And I mean to learn about the illness itself.

Anyway, good day to you. No hard feelings ok? I certainly wasn't calling you a liar and I never said your experience is invalid. Just not my experience at all. You weren't the one suffering from bipolar either. So, you don't know what it's like.
  • Trish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 14:34:52 (edited)
  • Jack's ... Trish 2013/02/17 15:31:03
    Jack's Pearl
    +3
    I've never been prescribed anything over the top. And my life is 100% better since I ACTUALLY DO have a chemical imbalance. I've lived this, I think I know that it is right for me.
  • Trish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 15:44:43 (edited)
  • Jack's ... Trish 2013/02/17 15:57:38
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    You would be incorrect. Completely. Sorry. Good day!
  • Trish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 16:07:04 (edited)
  • Jack's ... Trish 2013/02/17 16:13:22
    Jack's Pearl
    I know plenty about bi polar. I don't need a lesson in it from you. My mom had it and I have it. Since knowing I have it I've done a million times better. That is enough for me to believe I'm doing the right thing. Untreated, by symptoms that any one can have are to the extreme. That is the difference. Good day.
  • Trish Jack's ... 2013/02/17 16:27:03 (edited)

2014/07/28 08:22:33