Have you ever met a Millionaire?

Sister Jean 2011/12/16 23:29:37

• Leo 2011/12/18 03:08:26
    yes_____
    Leo
    +1
    Several. When I was about 12 we lived next to a family who was worth about $12 million and I had no clue because they were just nice ordinary seeming people. Of course their house was really big and they did travel a lot and they drove expensive cars and their kids went to exclusive schools and they had a housekeeper and a nanny. And then there was my wealthy great uncle in Florida who lived next door to a man worth $30 million(next door was about 1/4 mile). To visit him we had to stop at a gate house to enter this long, palm-lined driveway that ended at a beautiful Mediterranean style mansion. A uniformed maid answered the door and asked us to wait in the foyer while she informed him we were there. There were marble floors and columns and high ceilings. It was interesting, to say the least.
    I also used to tend bar at private parties, political fund raisers, bar mitzvahs and the like for some really rich people. I was always treated well and the pay was great!
  • Vision of Verve 2011/12/18 03:07:13
  • misterz 2011/12/17 18:48:10
    yes_____
    misterz
  • DracoMalfoy 2011/12/17 17:57:15
    no
    DracoMalfoy
    I don't think I would really want,too.
  • Sister ... DracoMa... 2011/12/17 17:58:22
  • chris 2011/12/17 16:23:48
    yes_____
    chris
    +1
    yeah quite a few. I met lou ferrigno a while back :) seemed nice :) he didn't give me any cash though! cheapskate lol
  • ALofRI 2011/12/17 15:45:59
    yes_____
    ALofRI
    +1
    I've met Dr Bose (of acoustical fame), helped him with his swimming pool a couple of times. VERY nice guy. very down to Earth. Oh yes, and one of my conservative brothers-in-law that uses all the state and government "goodies" that we "liberals" are accused of using....(he's not my favorites, obviously.)
  • david shiel 2011/12/17 15:36:05
    yes_____
    david shiel
    +1
    anumber of them
  • dandieselonian 2011/12/17 14:05:27
    yes_____
    dandieselonian
    +1
    A man I met was funny he said "if you got it flaunt it"as he drove away in his rolls royce convertable .
  • Kitora 2011/12/17 11:52:13
    yes_____
    Kitora
    +1
    Someone from Spain....
  • Rave 2011/12/17 10:51:15
    yes_____
    Rave
    +1
    My father, and the parents of many of my friends back when I went to a private school designed for "rich kids".
  • nonnonsenseguy 2011/12/17 10:19:07
    yes_____
    nonnonsenseguy
    +1
    Yes and perhaps I can be that fortunate if housing comes back and my distressed lending stocks are still left standing. I would retire early and probably be able to enjoy my current standard of living for the rest of my life.
  • Wizard 2011/12/17 07:58:38 (edited)
    yes_____
    Wizard
    +1
    Quite a few.
    My aunt was...and some cousins.
  • painted desert 2011/12/17 06:05:49
    yes_____
    painted desert
    +1
    Several. My sister is one, but she doesn't speak to me anymore.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2011/12/17 06:00:12
    yes_____
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    i'm related to a couple.
    yes_____
    +1
    YES .. I have ..
    (just a regular person overall .. they worked hard indeed for their income and were blessed .. to be able to enjoy in comfort what they've worked so hard for so many years for at this time).
  • Jdogg 2011/12/17 05:03:35
    yes_____
    Jdogg
    +2
    My cousin married one, He was nice ,
  • M A 2011/12/17 04:55:13
    no
    M A
    +2
    Dont think so
  • JGF 2011/12/17 04:19:43
    yes_____
    JGF
    +2
    in my antiques and engineering work I had several as steady customers
  • Jbug799 2011/12/17 03:56:41
    yes_____
    Jbug799
    +2
    Yeah we have one in the extended family..he and his wife both are awesome people.
  • MO.gal 2011/12/17 03:42:41
    MO.gal
    +2
    I have worked for some that I thought may be millionaires. I don't know for sure they were.
  • prayer warrior 2011/12/17 03:27:06
    yes_____
    prayer warrior
    +2
    Yes I met three one was self made and didn't finish college. The second bought bikes for the kids from our center for Christmas. He flew the bikes in on a private plane and had them driven to the party in a semi truck. He then had his workers there to adjust the bike to the children that were receiving them. The third one had started building homes in the city where I live , but he has built home in other cities and around the world. He also had started habitat for humanity. He has died but his wife still works.
  • papa chobies 2011/12/17 02:35:37
    yes_____
    papa chobies
    +2
    i've met a few. as a technician (automotive/communications) i get people from all walks of life hiring me. i've been to their homes i've had them bring me their cars. i see that they are happy to be successful, but they don't seem to be as happy as people like me. they value material ideas more than simple pleasures in life. it's to explain, but when you see what i call "real" happiness, you know difference.
  • Georgia50 2011/12/17 02:31:52 (edited)
    yes_____
    Georgia50
    +2
    Yep...we have one in our extended family. My dad just missed his opportunity. He was offered $6 million for a race horse, but turned it down. Next major race, the horse shattered its knee.
  • kennypart1 2011/12/17 02:16:40
    yes_____
    kennypart1
    +2
    several times
  • N00bKefka 2011/12/17 02:09:12 (edited)
    yes_____
    N00bKefka
    +1
    He said he's like the son of a ex director of Microsoft or something. I think it might be true because he is paying full school fee which is like 40k per annul. He studied in American school despite being a Singaporean and DigiPen Singapore is like the second college he is studying in.

He is freaking humble about it too. We didn't know about his background until we asked.
  • ronbo 2011/12/17 02:00:02
    no
    ronbo
    +2
    While I,ve seen people who came across as well to do, I,ve never gotten to know one personally.
  • Xerxes,Phantom of PHAET 2011/12/17 01:43:28
    yes_____
    Xerxes,Phantom of PHAET
    +2
    Several over the years
  • handeman 2011/12/17 01:40:12
    yes_____
    handeman
    +2
    Rich Dad, Poor Dad author
  • artso 2011/12/17 01:30:55
    yes_____
    artso
    +3
    Yes, I worked for a billionaire when I was young. He was a gentleman of the old school and a wounderful person. His money was made in the railroads, and banking. He gave lots of it to the church, and even had a camp for kids on the estate. I was one of his horsemen, it was a great job. He was a class act all the way.
  • Sister ... artso 2011/12/17 01:39:57
    +4
    truly rich usually are xmas elfs
  • AMo45 2011/12/17 01:22:01
    yes_____
    AMo45
    +3
    My first husband was one but I didn't know it on our first date he was surprised to know I didn't know what he did for a living(venture capitalist) and me being younger and full of myself after learning told him"The ONLY reason you're miore successful than I is the year of your birth"After 10 years and 2 children I left him and never took 1 dime other than child support.Money does not buy happiness-life has the same ups,downs and problems only in prettier surroundings.I married another man 5 months later who proposed to me with a pretzel ring..I ate it...but I married him
  • Kashee 2011/12/17 01:21:08
    yes_____
    Kashee
  • Bibliophilic 2011/12/17 01:04:37
    Bibliophilic
    +3
    Probably, but certainly no one I interact with on a consistent basis or know on a personal basis. It's very likely that a few of my thrifty neighbors could be millionaires, how can one know without asking? It's rude to ask.
  • luvguins 2011/12/17 00:58:17
    yes_____
    luvguins
    +3
    Several. A family aunt and first cousin and coworkers.
  • Jake Blanton 2011/12/17 00:51:18 (edited)
    yes_____
    Jake Blanton
    +2
    Myself... But being a millionaire is not as impressive as it was in my younger days... It's not like it is going to let me retire and not have to worry about money again...

I can remember when having a million in the bank meant that you could get $50K in interest each year from a normal savings account. Back then, making $50K each year was really good money. For example, $50K in 1970 would be the equivalent of about $291K right now... $1M in 1970 would be $5.8M right now... If I had $5.8M right now, I think I would be feeling comfortable enough to live off my savings for the rest of my life and still be able to leave the principle to my daughter... Unless I get really lucky in the stock market, it's unlikely I'll get another $4.8M in my retirement accounts...

I suspect might not realize that they are millionaires... They forget that the property that you own / liquid assets counts towards your net worth... Some of the people who live in areas where real estate is ridiculously overpriced might classify as a millionaire since their homes are now worth so much... Maybe they only spent $50K for the house 30-40 years ago, but if they were to sell it today, it would be worth around $1M... I've never bought real estate that changed that much in value, but there are some people who ha...

I suspect might not realize that they are millionaires... They forget that the property that you own / liquid assets counts towards your net worth... Some of the people who live in areas where real estate is ridiculously overpriced might classify as a millionaire since their homes are now worth so much... Maybe they only spent $50K for the house 30-40 years ago, but if they were to sell it today, it would be worth around $1M... I've never bought real estate that changed that much in value, but there are some people who have... That's one of the reasons that the housing market took off in South Florida over the years... The northerners from areas with inflated house prices retired, were tired of shoveling snow, sold their overpriced houses up north and moved to Florida so that they would not have to ever shovel snow again... The $500K that their 40 year old house was worth in NY or wherever could basically buy them a mansion in South Florida at that time...
  • Mark In Irvine 2011/12/17 00:41:42 (edited)
    yes_____
    Mark In Irvine
    +2
    i used to work for a media company, and i frequently interacted with the head honchos from upstairs as a matter of course given what i did for the company ... the guy who was in charge of the whole thing (the descendant of the original founding family) was a not-infrequent visitor to the "executive dining room" ... he had an "executive" gym built in the basement of the company headquarters too, because he was a super athlete - i think he may even have participated in a track and field event in one of the summer olympics - and i saw him down there many times when i was using it on my lunch break ... even saw him in his birthday suit a few times (and he saw me in mine) after working out ... ah the good old days ... the guy, now dead, was pretty famous in his day, and was a mega millionaire
  • OnyxRaven 2011/12/17 00:40:05
    yes_____
    OnyxRaven
    +1
    My father's boss, my grandfather etc etc
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2011/12/17 00:36:35
    yes_____
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    Many times both personally and professionally.
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/12/17 00:33:12
    yes_____
    Prime Time Lime
    +2
    I had met the owner,now deceased ,owner of the New York Yankees,George Steinbrenner when I was working in Tampa .I think he is a Billionaire and not a millionaire.

2014/04/20 23:41:53