Have you ever heard the phrase "Its better to spill your seed in the belly of whore then to spill it on the ground" ?

True~Male 2007/09/05 19:02:25
This supposedly comes from a passage in the bible , but where is at? Old or new Testament ? Some claim it's in reference to masturbation and possible can be considered murder if your seed is spilled outside the womb.

I apoligize if this question is a bit too explicit for the forum its not intended to offend anyone--Just to get others opinions on the phrase and its meaning and if it still applies today ?

• Grayson H 2010/02/19 19:03:19
    Grayson H
    +4
    Circa 1966 there was a citation in The Boy Scout Handbook to the Bible passage that said, "It is better to sow your seed in the womb of a whore than to cast it upon the ground." My father used it as part of a lecture to me. Of course, the smartass in me replied, "Hell Dad, anyone whose had both knows that!" Grayson H

• Don 2012/03/13 12:20:23
    Don
    +1
    king james verson old testiment
  • steph 2011/05/29 21:57:25
    steph
    +1
    I seriously don't think that Genesis 38 is referring to masturbation. I see that many people have quoted the, "it is better....than on the ground." But, no one tells where in the Bible that it says that. Can you give your proof? Do you know where the scripture is at? I heard this many years ago, quoted from Charles Manson in the biography titled, "Helter Skelter".....not a person that I would consider reliable.
  • Grayson H 2010/02/19 19:03:19
    Grayson H
    +4
  • True~Male Grayson H 2010/02/20 01:28:43
    True~Male
    LOL-Good One
  • glo 2008/08/30 18:48:04
    glo
    +1
    Where in the bible does it says "its better to spill your seed in the belly of whore than to spill it on the ground"
  • brian 2007/10/25 19:28:25
    brian
    +1
    Said by some who never masturbated.
  • True~Male brian 2011/05/30 19:38:48
    True~Male
    Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to just masturbate and not have the worry of catching any diseases from a whore or paying her any cash ? [...]
  • Glit 2007/10/25 00:12:26
    Glit
    +2
    Thanks for all the explanations. I learned something new, and I now understand what was going on: Onan was punished for being selfish and disobedient. It has nothing to do with masturbating.

Men, your seed is VERY important, and should not be wasted or used in the wrong way. I'm sorry more men dont understand that, maybe they would keep their zippers up when they were supposed to.
  • Jon 2007/09/12 02:10:54
    Jon
    +1
    I spent a quite a bit of time working in the oil field and heard this one used there once or twice. I see it as a rationalization for fornication, by using the following passage of scripture found in Genesis seed on the ground looks like the thing that is displeasing to the LORD.
    No one was killed outright for being with a whore, I think is the rationalization.

Please read the entire chapter ... Here is an excerpt ...

Genesis 38:
    7) And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him.
    8) And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
    9) And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled [it] on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
    10) And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

It was customary to raise up kids for a brother who had been killed so to keep the family name alive and the land ownership by a family.

God was angry for Onan's not assuming responsibility that Judah, his father, had delegated!

This is only my opinion ...
  • jackrorabbit 2007/09/06 14:16:57
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    "A commonly referenced proverb to highlight the evils of masturbation
    frequently mistaken as a biblical admonition is typically phrased as,
    "It is better to cast your seed in the belly of a whore than to spill
    it on the ground." The fact is, though, this is not anything to be
    found in the pages of Scripture. We get this question fairly often and
    have been trying to track down the origin of the saying, but alas, with
    no luck. While not certain of the phrase's exact origin, it does seem
    to be a false extrapolation of Genesis 38 and the story of Onan, Tamar,
    and Judah.

According to Ancient Near Eastern culture, it would
    have been the responsibility of Onan to impregnate his dead brother's
    wife that his brother's line might continue. Selfishly, Onan did not
    wish any of his offspring to bear any name other than his own; and so
    while he did, in fact, take up the responsibility of sexual relations
    with his brother's wife, he would not ejaculate inside her but instead
    practiced the withdrawal method of birth control. God punished Onan for
    his wickedness and greed by putting him to death (and not, as is
    popularly believed, for masturbating). The rest of the narrative
    features the wife, Tamar, posing as a prostitute and seducing Onan's
    father, Judah. By him, she conceives and bears a s...

and Judah.

father, Judah. By him, she conceives and bears a son from whom Christ
    would descend. And God does not strike Judah or punish him in any way
    in the narrative.

So it appears that some cynic had taken the
    veneer of the tale and crafted a wry commentary that has come to be
    known as actual Scripture (unfortunately). In the end, the admonition
    is far from biblical and has nothing to do with masturbation."

http://www.blueletterbible.or...
  • Fef 2007/09/06 00:43:43
    Fef
    +2
    Thanks for putting this in context. It makes for good discussion. In today's times we don't have nearly the growing population dangers that they did in biblical times. And spilling your seed in a prostitute may only lead to disease and/or abortion if the prostitute didn't use protection (which she most likely did).

So, maybe someone should pose the question if this still applies...
  • kellley 2007/09/06 00:25:06
    kellley
    +2
    Goggling found this:

commonly referenced proverb to highlight the evils of masturbation frequently mistaken as a biblical admonition is typically phrased as, "It is better to cast your seed in the belly of a whore than to spill it on the ground." The fact is, though, this is not anything to be found in the pages of Scripture. We get this question fairly often and have been trying to track down the origin of the saying, but alas, with no luck. While not certain of the phrase's exact origin, it does seem to be a false extrapolation of Genesis 38 and the story of Onan, Tamar, and Judah.

According to Ancient Near Eastern culture, it would have been the responsibility of Onan to impregnate his dead brother's wife that his brother's line might continue. Selfishly, Onan did not wish any of his offspring to bear any name other than his own; and so while he did, in fact, take up the responsibility of sexual relations with his brother's wife, he would not ejaculate inside her but instead practiced the withdrawal method of birth control. God punished Onan for his wickedness and greed by putting him to death (and not, as is popularly believed, for masturbating). The rest of the narrative features the wife, Tamar, posing as a prostitute and seducing Onan's father, Judah. By him, she co...

Goggling found this:

According to Ancient Near Eastern culture, it would have been the responsibility of Onan to impregnate his dead brother's wife that his brother's line might continue. Selfishly, Onan did not wish any of his offspring to bear any name other than his own; and so while he did, in fact, take up the responsibility of sexual relations with his brother's wife, he would not ejaculate inside her but instead practiced the withdrawal method of birth control. God punished Onan for his wickedness and greed by putting him to death (and not, as is popularly believed, for masturbating). The rest of the narrative features the wife, Tamar, posing as a prostitute and seducing Onan's father, Judah. By him, she conceives and bears a son from whom Christ would descend. And God does not strike Judah or punish him in any way in the narrative.

So it appears that some cynic had taken the veneer of the tale and crafted a wry commentary that has come to be known as actual Scripture (unfortunately). In the end, the admonition is far from biblical and has nothing to do with masturbation.
  • Daryl kellley 2007/09/06 00:45:41
    Daryl
    +3
    God doesn't hate maturbaters?

That's a relief!
  • True~Male kellley 2007/09/06 01:01:07
    True~Male
    Thank you for clarifying that and doing the rerearch of it.
  • jackror... kellley 2007/09/06 14:18:18
    jackrorabbit
    +2
    LOL
    http://www.blueletterbible.or...
    I posted the same thing before reading yours.
  • Astor 2007/09/06 00:07:14
    Astor
    +2
    kinda like "idle hands are the devils playground"
  • Fef Astor 2007/09/06 00:37:21
    Fef
    +3
    we know where people with idle hands spill seeds
  • True~Male Fef 2007/09/06 02:54:41
    True~Male
    Where might that be? I'm afraid to ask
  • Joseph ... Astor 2013/01/14 09:41:08
    Joseph Evans
    +3
    correction Idle hands are the devils tools and the idle mind if the devils workshop
  • True~Male Joseph ... 2013/01/16 03:24:22
    True~Male
    really now ? --you need help then !! Good Luck
  • Butch Cassidy 2007/09/05 23:57:19
    Butch Cassidy
    +3
    I dun spill mosta ma seed in whores...it's when I spill on their hair that they get to hollerin at me.
  • Daryl 2007/09/05 23:55:40
    Daryl
    +1
    Never heard of it but since I don't frequent whores perhaps I can make deposits at a sperm bank.

At least it will be a good excuse to auto-stimulate.
  • Fef Daryl 2007/09/06 00:38:46
    Fef
    +7
    I always wondered if sperm banks had a sign on the exit: "Thank you, come again"
  • Margaret Fef 2007/09/06 02:26:37
    Margaret
    +1
    A funny pun! Go Fef! :)
  • True~Male Fef 2013/01/16 03:24:46
    True~Male
    ...
  • Hank 2007/09/05 21:12:37
    Hank
    +4
    Heard the phrase, but do not believe it is from the Bible, although it seems to be a biblical "urban legend." The reference to spilling one's seed on the ground comes from Genesis 38:9:
    "Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother."
  • roger 2007/09/05 20:30:10
    roger
    +2
    Like you I've heard it. Think I'll research this. I don't know about the prostitute
  • jackror... roger 2007/09/06 14:19:45
  • Smokey 2007/09/05 19:45:41
    Smokey
    +1
    I've read it maybe but what point are you trying to make?

Eric
  • True~Male Smokey 2007/09/05 21:23:52
    True~Male
    +1
    Its just I can remember hearing about this as a teenager from my a friends mother who was very religious and I again heard it the other day from a TV preacher --at the time I didn't have a clue what she was talking about but I kind of think it means its a sin to masturbate. I never heard that masturbation was a sin either.
  • Smokey True~Male 2007/09/05 21:36:31
    Smokey
    +4
    I go to Church and teach High School Bible Class. This is just my opinion and my understanding of the scriptures only, but I don't think God was refering to masturbation. If that were the case, he would have refered to more than one scriputre on this topic. I forget the guys name in the Bible, but God was more upset because he spilled his seed (semen) rather than getting someone pregnant. At that time, it was very important to have offspring for many reasons.

We have so many different denominations that say this and that, and I find it funny that some people just take one scripture and really don't study the entire chapter to get a full understanding what it means.

For example, people that are against abortions have religious bumper stickers saying, "I knew you before you were born." God was only refering to a Prophet and not to everyone. Sure, is it possible that God knows us all before we are born? Sure! But that's not what the meaning of that particular scriptures is trying to convey.

Understand?

Eric
  • True~Male Smokey 2007/09/05 21:40:23
    True~Male
    +1
    Yeah that puts my mind at ease --- thanks
  • Tabby Smokey 2007/09/05 23:08:10
    Tabby
    +1
    Whoa, someone on SodaHead who puts the scripture in context? No. Way! :)
  • lin Smokey 2008/03/20 22:28:13
    lin
    +1
    so....what church do you go to....and teach a HS Bible class? what is your take on Abortion from a religious stand point?
  • Smokey lin 2008/03/21 15:40:25
    Smokey
    +1
    I smell a set up here because you asked "and teach a HS Bible class?" Did I ever say that I was perfect and knew everything? I said, "in my opinion." But in regards to abortion, from a religious stand point, it's WRONG! And I don't teach to my students about MY OPINION. When it comes to the BIBLE, you can't change the word to fit your lifestyle.

I will share with you about my beliefs, but at this point, I sense a bit of hostility from you. I may be wrong. Please set me straight.

Thanks,

Smokey
  • True~Male Smokey 2008/05/30 19:54:02
    True~Male
    I agree
  • Michele Smokey 2009/06/25 20:49:40
    Michele
    +1
    I so agree with you that you CANT change the words of the bible to fit your lifestyle. If we are willing to serve God completely, then we must accept His words as it is!!!!
  • hunterotts True~Male 2011/05/21 17:13:19 (edited)
    hunterotts
    +3
    i cant find this phrase in the bible, but ephesians 5 says that there should be not even a hint of sexual immorality, that is sometimes used to say that masterbation is a sin, but its still not a straight foward answer!
  • True~Male hunterotts 2011/05/24 05:46:52
    True~Male
    I don't think masturbation was ever meant to be a sin -- It only involves one person!!
  • SAM 2007/09/05 19:39:03
    SAM
    +1
    ... and I am pretty sure is not in the bible.

2014/11/26 00:23:00