Have you ever had a religious experience?

Buster Brown 2012/07/02 00:40:52
I am a Christian and had a religious experience
I am Jewish and had a religious experience
I am in Scientology and had a religious experience
I am an Atheist and believe that such experiences are just a figment of their imagination
I am an Atheist and believe people who claim to have such experiences are actually delusional
I am a Pagan and had a religious experience
I am a Muslim and had a religious experience
Other...
A religious experience is often an actual contact with God or Gods or something outside a person's normal perception of time and space. Sometimes these experiences have been reported to occur during meditation or prayer.

Have you ever had a religious experience? If so, what was the nature of that experience?

• blinds_blog 2012/10/09 08:23:14
    blinds_blog
    +1
    I was put under ether for surgery when I was young, decades ago. Suddenly it seemed I was sitting on the fence in the of the house I lived in. The fence happend to be at the crest of a hill and the land sloped away slightly on both sides. Then suddenly there was some kind of a flat surface in the vertical plane of the fence. Then I was IN this plane as a 2-dimensional being, something like the bad guys in the Superman II movie.
    Then I had a pfeeling I could fall either forwards or backwards out of the vertical plane surface. I fell back and into a multi-dimensional place that was full of a golden light and a warm fuzzy feeling of total knowlege (which I could not keep). I felt I had been here before.
    Then suddenly I was a little black ball that was contracting exponentially ever faster as it was vibrating in exponentially ever faster in oscilations of exponentially ever greater amplitude. I also felt I had been here before too. Then the thought hit me that there was no limit to how bad this could get, and I abandoned hope.
    Then I woke up in the hospital ward and literally wept with relief.
    Then I reached out and took the daily newspaper from the bedside table and read an interview with Aldous Huxley (who was still living at the time). He was an early researcher and author on...
    Then I reached out and took the daily newspaper from the bedside table and read an interview with Aldous Huxley (who was still living at the time). He was an early researcher and author on halucinogenic drugs. He said in the interview "we may be too deeply steeped in the situation into which somehow or other we seem to have stumbled, and out of which the question arises, to ever find an answer to it". And I never forgot that quote. Although I have never been able to find it again in later days by Google searches. I was impressed he could see reality in that perspective, but I felt his speculation was wrong because I believed I had just transcended the situation.
    I was sure in my own mind I had just seen heaven and hell, and the rest of my life would be an epilog. Yes it was a drug-induced experience. Ether. But that doesn't mitigate the subjective experience.
  • Piper 2012/07/02 23:43:48
    Other...
    Piper
    +1
    I would consider what I've had, as a spiritual experience, not a religious experience. Sensing evil, or feeling an intense feeling of connection to a 'creator', is not exclusive to a religion.
  • Buster ... Piper 2012/07/04 23:18:41
    Buster Brown
    +1
    True. I should have made the question broader. Thanks for your response.
  • David William 2012/07/02 07:44:06
    Other...
    David William
    Mindgasim, when reality hits me like a winning lottery ticket. It's not spiritual because I'm thinking about how amazing the universe IS, not what I want there to be.

• Truth Matters 2012/07/02 00:59:44
    Truth Matters
    +2
    Yes. I have a hard time understanding them myself. As time goes by I try to rationalize them away, but I know some things really happened.
  • ANGEL Truth M... 2012/07/02 13:37:53
    ANGEL
    +2
    While I am not Christian, I understand what your are describing. I, too, have had experiences and have tried to "rationalize them away". I don't do that anymore. I don't need to explain it to anyone - nor do I need to rationalize it to myself. I accept it and relish the experience.
  • Buster ... Sister ... 2012/07/02 00:55:11
    Buster Brown
    +1
    Can you describe what that religious experience was?
  • Sister ... Buster ... 2012/07/04 00:36:58
    +1
    not here
  • Buster ... Sister ... 2012/07/04 23:22:47
    Buster Brown
    +1
    I can respect that.
  • lucythetooth 2012/07/02 00:46:27
    Other...
    lucythetooth
    +1
    I used to be religious when I was a kid, but I've never had any religious experiences. I had an intellectual experience when I started questioning religion and became agnostic.
  • Truth M... lucythe... 2012/07/02 00:57:44
    Truth Matters
    +1
    What sorts of intellectual experiences drew you away from belief in God?
    I have a unique background in science, philosophy and many years of studying the best arguments from both sides. I bet I can answer your objections and put things in proper rational perspective - without Bible verses.

Don't worry, I'll play nice and no Bible thumping. I really just want to know what reasons people have.
  • lucythe... Truth M... 2012/07/02 01:02:39
    lucythetooth
    +1
    Mostly, it's the question of 'How do you know your religion is the right one?' There are many, many different religions with many, many different types of deities. All created by man. Who's to say that ANY of them are correct? Who's to say that all life on this planet wasn't caused by an errant asteroid that deposited alien cells onto the surface?
  • Truth M... lucythe... 2012/07/02 02:09:47
    Truth Matters
    Thanks for the response.

"Mostly, it's the question of 'How do you know your religion is the right one?'

OK. But that is just an epistemic question (which one?) because our apprehensions are limited. Differing perspectives is certainly not reason to believe that No God exists. To draw an analogy, If fifty different people gave differing accounts of a car accident or menopause experience, would that be evidence that no car accident or menopause exists?

"There are many, many different religions with many, many different types of deities. All created by man. Who's to say that ANY of them are correct?"

Well, they are all apprehended or created by man. But again, that is no reason to presume they are all wrong - or no God exists. Some have vastly better validity than others.

"Who's to say that all life on this planet wasn't caused by an errant asteroid that deposited alien cells onto the surface?"

But that answers nothing of the ultimate origin. The physical universe began. It requires a creator

2014/10/26 03:01:24