Have you ever gotten lost using GPS?

ABC News U.S. 2013/03/12 18:00:35
In July 2010, Donna Cooper, her daughter, Gina, and their friend Jenny Leung took a day trip to Death Valley National Park’s museum, Scotty’s Castle.

On the way home, a wrong turn disoriented them. They turned to their GPS, but it pointed them deeper into the desolate park rather than onto the paved road that would have taken them toward home. They eventually ran out of gas. With no cell phone signal, the women had no idea they were driving into one of the most remote and unforgiving corners of the 3.5 million-acre desert.

Sleeping in their car the first night, they later managed to get their Hyundai Accent to run on fumes for several miles through treacherous terrain, eventually finding an abandoned campsite. With limited resources and intense valley heat, a rescue couldn’t come soon enough for the women.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/03/hav...

• Joy Buchanan 2013/03/15 13:51:19
    Yes. GPS is amazing and usually reliable, but it’s only as good as the data, ...
    Joy Buchanan
    +5
    It was basicly something like this:
    basicly

• **StarzAbove** 2013/10/05 20:24:09
    **StarzAbove**
    Yes, it directed us into a dead end street at one time.
  • TheAsianDiva85 2013/10/05 19:28:08
    No. I swear by it, and so far so good.
    TheAsianDiva85
    Noooooooooooooooo and besides,Daddy Trung B.Tran,Mommy Tam Le-Tran,Little Brother Anthony Tran and I only uses GPS when we drive somewhere far like to Orlando side of Florida.
  • Corners are Square 2013/08/25 00:48:43
    Corners are Square
    This Poll Sucks!!! It doesn't allow anyone to vote AGAINST using GPS at all. The choices are: A. It's awesome but occasionally wrong B. It's awesome C. It's awesome, I suck.
    In my opinion, GPS sucks all the time. It NEVER is a good option. It's completely wrong ALMOST ALL the time. I've had people heading to my location using it from a 5 minute drive away and following GPS it took them over and hour and 35 miles out of the way.
    It's ALWAYS wrong about one way streets. It caused accidents of people trying to turn all of the sudden from the wrong lane, and it's turning out society into idiots that are incapable of reading a map!!
    The best advice you can use regarding GPS is NEVER, EVER, EVER use it.
  • Sandman366 2013/03/18 19:11:09
    Sandman366
    Once was a bit down the road from where I wanted to go, but the idiots who gave me the address gave me the wrong address....so it thought I wanted to go to the wrong place.

What's really annoying though is when it treats "South Blah Street" and "Blah Street" as the exact same thing (when they aren't), but then understands what you're saying when you do "S Blah Street". Seriously?! You can't figure out that South spelled out is the EXACT same place as south NOT spelled out?! Ugh...

Can't (and hope I never get to) say GPS killed someone I know, though....
  • Holly 2013/03/18 17:03:25
    Holly
  • ☠ Cheryl ☮ 2013/03/18 14:19:35
    No. I swear by it, and so far so good.
    ☠ Cheryl ☮
    Ok I can't say I SWEAR by it. I've never gotten lost, but sometimes, it does tend to take me the longer route than the shorter route.
  • les_gvt 2013/03/18 04:50:52
    les_gvt
    I drive a semi- and use a semi version, however that does not mean all the low clearances, restricted routes etc are in the system- and heaven forbid they open a new roadway that has not been downloaded
  • TooSweet 2013/03/18 00:44:15
    TooSweet
    Not so much"lost" but I have been confronted with this situation once or twice,my GPS knows I am 13'6" but still fails on occasion.
    low bridge
  • Nick Name 2013/03/17 17:36:13 (edited)
    Yes, but it was my error (didn't update maps, entered wrong address, etc.).
    Nick Name
    It WASN'T my error. I refuse to use one. The technology doesn't make any sense and is therefore dangerous.
    GPS : Global Positioning System? Global? Earth? I know where the damn Earth is I'm riding around on it!
    The system works off satellites? Satellites? I'm not in orbit! I don't need directions to the Moon and back.
    This is clearly space alien technology that has been eased into our technical cultural so the aliens can track our every move!

They're not going to find me! I painted bullseye targets on top of every house and very vehicle in my neighborhood EXCEPT my house and car. I don't care what the police & lawsuit shysters say I have a right to protect myself!
    The government knows this! None of lunar vehicles NASA astronauts took to the moon had GPS devices - coincidence?!

They just want to confuse us!

Space Aliens targeting earth

Fake Earth
  • MrsCasao 2013/03/17 12:16:31
    MrsCasao
    Last weekend! We put UC Davis Hospital in and it took us way beyond the hospital! We were heading to UC Davis College!
  • knoodelhed 2013/03/17 06:13:58
    knoodelhed
    Which is why my car also has a magnetic compass and I usually travel with basic maps of the region.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2013/03/16 22:53:09
    MOMMA THOMAS
    (NEED ANOTHER RESPONSE CHOICE.) DON'T USE A GPS...ALWAYS TAKE MY MAPS. (GEOGRAPHY MAJOR)
  • LdyLeo 2013/03/16 14:16:47
    LdyLeo
    This video for example:
  • Bash LdyLeo 2013/03/17 07:22:28
    Bash
    I'd like to asked guy about gay marrage and gun control and watch his head exploed.
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2013/03/16 09:42:45
    jerry.alan.carroll
    but then again, my ability to read japanese (Japanese navigation system) is limited to about 700 kanji or so
  • Korintje 2013/03/16 08:28:58
    Korintje
    Lots off work on the roads round my city so it always says two things when i leave home... Look out its a dead end..... And take the next turn back.....think the gps wants me to stay home ;-)
  • Bouts2getitpoppinz 2013/03/16 06:59:36
    No. I swear by it, and so far so good.
    Bouts2getitpoppinz
    love my gps screw having a memory in a new city whip out that gps slap it on my motorcycle and ride off into the wind fellas.
  • foxy 2013/03/16 05:28:41
    foxy
    Yesterday a guy came to take us to pick up a hire car, he had a GPS but we needed to tell him which way to go after he misread it.
  • Rob 2013/03/16 05:09:06
    Rob
    My Garmin has been pretty reliable, but it has screwed up a few times, especially when finding a place within dense urban areas.
  • Marcus Clark 2013/03/16 03:20:46
    No. I swear by it, and so far so good.
    Marcus Clark
    Nope I don't use GPS.
    The Woodlands, TX is all messed up on GPS....just sayin!
  • BuggaBoo 2013/03/15 23:31:44
    BuggaBoo
    MapQuest.... go to hell. Gave me wrong directions that lead to a car accident. some bozo decided he wanted to drive in the farthest left lane, he had to exit. so he swurves over to the right and hits us. Never trusting mapquest again.
  • Purple ... BuggaBoo 2013/03/16 22:59:53
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    Not mapquest's fault. Just saying. You were in the area due to mapquest, but the jerk that hit you is to blame.
  • BuggaBoo Purple ... 2013/03/17 00:31:26
    BuggaBoo
    u can put it that way.
    The way I see it... fate did this too. mapquest sent me in the wrong direction and coinkidink... I get hit.
  • The Third Reich 2013/03/15 17:49:54
    The Third Reich
    +1
    I live in NYC, I dont often need GPS or even to drive, but when I'm going out far or on road trips, I drive and then I really rely on them. I've gotten lost once or twice but mainly I've been good. I usually map the place on google alongside it and a few other sources just to see how general the route is and the best way to go.
  • Joy Buchanan 2013/03/15 13:51:19
    Joy Buchanan
    +5
    It was basicly something like this:
    basicly
  • barby karring 2013/03/15 08:11:26
    barby karring
    +2
    It's more accurate now than when Gps first arrived on the
    scene.
  • seahawk665 2013/03/14 23:30:13
    seahawk665
    +2
    I drove a friend home who lived in Lanham, MD a few years ago. That day, it was snowing and the roads were pretty treacherous. I have also never been in that area before. The GPS got me to her house ok, but when I was trying to get home, it kept insisting I take this one road. Problem was, it was blocked by a government gate. It wanted me to drive through a facility owned by NASA! No matter what option I tried (Most use of freeways, least use of Freeways, Shortest Distance, etc), it kept insisting that I drive through NASA. Thankfully, I had enough sense to drive back the way I came to try to find somewhere familiar. I finally found a sign for I-95 and took that home.
  • Mike seahawk665 2013/03/15 06:30:33
    +1
    At least it wasn't through CIA headquarters!
  • seahawk665 Mike 2013/03/15 13:20:15
    seahawk665
    +1
    What would have been really bad is if my GPS had told me to drive through NSA, which is near where I live. If you take the wrong exit off of the highway that runs next to it and wind up heading towards NSA, big burly army guys with machine guns and attack dogs will immediately swarm your vehicle. I wound up taking that wrong exit once and I flipped out because I knew that it led straight to NSA. Thankfully, though, there was an access ramp that led back to the highway when I got closer. I suppose it's there for people like me who accidentally take the wrong exit/last chance to leave the area before we come after you. I'm surprised I was able to get that close. Usually there's an unmarked police vehicle parked at that exit, especially during a work day, which it was.
  • Dickens 2013/03/14 22:13:29 (edited)
    No. I swear by it, and so far so good.
    Dickens
    +2
    ...mine has lifetime updates, and it's very accurate...(but I DO remember how to read a map..)
  • Shayes ™ 2013/03/14 21:37:44
    Shayes ™
    +3
    My husband and I went on a road trip from Florida to Ohio. By the time we got to Ohio I wanted to punch that female in the mouth, if she had one. *turn left here, turn right there....do this, do that! How about shutting the heck up! At one point we had to make a u-turn.
  • NYCbrit Shayes ™ 2013/03/15 14:09:35
    NYCbrit
    +3
    The voice gets on my nerves too. I disable it whenever I can.
  • Mike Shayes ™ 2013/03/15 18:55:37
    You can't opt for a male "voice" ?
  • Shayes ™ Mike 2013/03/15 19:45:53
    Shayes ™
    +1
    I don't know! Is yours so smooth it can melt butter? ;)
  • Bibliophilic 2013/03/14 21:12:42
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    I have a garmin nuvi, but it needs to be updated!
  • polock 2013/03/14 21:00:36
    polock
    +2
    as they say it's only as good as the info, even Apple screwed this up.
  • Drageona 2013/03/14 20:41:26
    No. I swear by it, and so far so good.
    Drageona
    +2
    Cause I don't own one (goodie goodie for me )
  • Shadow 2013/03/14 19:45:21
    Shadow
    +2
    Apparently coffee shops are now located at deserted, broken-down playgrounds out in the middle of nowhere. .-.
  • Chloeeee 2013/03/14 19:27:48
    Chloeeee
    +2
    It's called Shaun, it took me to a lot of Irish bars when I asked it to take me to Germany.

2014/09/19 22:00:39