Have you ever been tested for vitamin D deficiency?

LQ~phaet 2013/05/20 20:41:56
Apparently, Vitamin D deficiency is the modern day plague, what with our indoor/sunscreen lifestyles.
In times long ago, vitamin D deficiency was synonymous with a disease called Rickets which affected very young children and caused their legs to be bowed. This is what led to infant formulas and milk products being fortified. Breast feeding mothers or breastfed infants, themselves, are often prescribed supplementation.

More doctors are testing for vitamin D deficiency and more patients are finding they are deficient or insufficient. Many who test deficient are finding that their chronic physical and/or psychological disease states are much ameliorated with proper treatment.
Still, not enough people are being tested when they present with obvious symptoms. The consequence is poorly controlled disease states.

The symptoms of deficiency are many and much the same as many autoimmune, musculoskeletal pain disorders, degenerative diseases in general and psychological disorders.

Many factors affect an individual's risk factors for testing deficient in
vitamin D.

Are you Black, elderly or do you live above the 35th parallel? Are you someone who avoids or has no access to the rays of mid-day sun? Do you avoid sun exposure religiously or always use sunscreen? Do you avoid vitamin D rich foods, such as cold water fish, eggs, mushrooms or fortified foods like dairy and orange juice? Do more than one of these factors describe you and/or your individual situation?
Your risk of deficiency is even greater than average, if so.

If you are short on D, you could be feeling much better with a simple test and proper replenishment.

The values for vitamin D RDI have recently gone up, though everyone should realize these levels are just enough to avert overt illness. Anyone who is deficient is not going to reach optimal blood levels with only the RDI.

Vitamin D is fat soluble and therefore it is stored in the body for much longer than a water soluble vitamin is and can accumulate in the body, however, it's much more difficult to reach toxic levels than previously thought.
I recommend a vitamin D test for anyone with chronic health issues or who wishes to take more than between the RDI and 1,000 to 2,000 IU, depending on age and weight.
Note: That's IUs (international units),
not mcg (micrograms) or mg (milligrams).

This vitamin is actually a steroid hormone, once activated in the body. It interacts to a grand degree with calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. Taking in minerals with low blood serum vitamin D is tantamount to useless. Taking in vitamin D without adequate minerals in the diet is a whole other imbalance with consequences of it's own. There's a lot to know about vitamin D and it's necessity and safety.

Want to learn more? Check the link I provided for the Vitamin D Council, and, if you have 58 minutes to spare and want to learn a lot in a very entertaining way, check out this video lecture by Dr. Holick, a national authority on vitamin D research.

If you have a vitamin D story or anything you'd like to share that you know about vitamin D,
I'd love to hear all about it.

vitamin d

Read More: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

• Paul LQ~phaet 2013/05/23 02:46:49
    Paul
    +2
    Today is your lucky day.

Dr. Wallach, who designed the Youngevity products is really something. He's a character, but he knows his stiff.

Nutritional pharmacist Ben Fuchs is also wonderful. Many vids of him on Youtube.

Do you know this site?

http://www.ihealthtube.com/

When you get a chance, search Wallach, Boroch and Glidden.

Great stuff.
  • LQ~phaet Paul 2013/05/23 02:58:49 (edited)
    LQ~phaet
    +4
    =) It's nice to meet people who are into nutrition and like to share. It's nice to meet you. :)

I've read a lot over the years, but there's always new research and information. It's all very fascinating to me.

No, I don't know that site, so I bookmarked it. Thanks. And, thanks for the names and information. I'll have good time checking it all out, I'm sure.
  • Paul LQ~phaet 2013/05/23 03:25:21
    Paul
    +3
    Nice to meet you as well. And you're welcome!
  • Just me ♥ 2013/05/23 00:30:02 (edited)
    I've been tested.
    Just me ♥
    +3
    Yup. My level was 13 and normal is 30-80. Initially, I had to take 50,000 units once per week and then had it rechecked again 3 months later and it was just up to the normal range. Now I take 4000 units per day.
  • LQ~phaet Just me ♥ 2013/05/23 00:38:49
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    The low end of normal is better than 13, for sure. Some say the optimal range is between 50 and 80.

Do you ever retest, since starting a daily supplement?
  • Just me ♥ LQ~phaet 2013/05/23 00:55:53
    Just me ♥
    +2
    Once per year. I stay in the 30-40 range. I should point out that what 4000 units per day does for me will not do to the next person and that it IS possible to become toxic on Vitamin D and that occurs around the 120 range for most people, but I have personally only witnessed that in 2 of my patients. Because of my MS, I avoid the sun like the plague...only getting sunlight going to and from my car.
  • NYCbrit 2013/05/23 00:16:10 (edited)
    I've been tested.
    NYCbrit
    +3
    Yes, quite recently. I've got a terrible deficiency. Dr. is making me take prescription vitamin D
  • LQ~phaet NYCbrit 2013/05/23 00:41:54
    LQ~phaet
    +2
    I wish you much luck in getting your levels up.

Hopefully your doc will make recommendations to keep it up after the Rx for mega-dosing is complete. It's something worth keeping track of and staying within the normal range.
  • ♦ JohnDavid ♦ 2013/05/22 23:55:08
    I've not been tested.
    ♦ JohnDavid ♦
    +2
    No, and if it involves a needle anywhere then no.
  • LQ~phaet ♦ JohnD... 2013/05/23 00:01:12
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    There's a finger prick test. It doesn't really hurt, just a little sting, but it still involves bloodletting.
  • ♦ JohnD... LQ~phaet 2013/05/23 00:17:19
    ♦ JohnDavid ♦
    +2
    sorry, I only saw two words, prick,blood.
  • LQ~phaet ♦ JohnD... 2013/05/23 00:42:43
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    : / .......sorry
  • ♦ JohnD... LQ~phaet 2013/05/23 00:46:36
    ♦ JohnDavid ♦
    +2
    lol. I live in the sun and plenty of direct sunshine. :)
  • LQ~phaet ♦ JohnD... 2013/05/23 00:55:33
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    :) That's a good thing. Just don't get burnt.
  • nicesteve 2013/05/22 23:44:57
    I've not been tested.
    nicesteve
    +2
    Although, I could probably stand to have that done. Two things that I'm concerned
    about, is that I sunburn easily, and I really hate clothes. And I especially hate long
    pants the worst.
  • LQ~phaet nicesteve 2013/05/23 00:02:02
    LQ~phaet
    +2
    Might be a good idea to get the test, then.
  • Lonzo 2013/05/22 23:31:49
    I've been tested.
    Lonzo
    +2
    I needed the vitamins! vitamin d
  • LQ~phaet Lonzo 2013/05/22 23:34:53
    LQ~phaet
    +2
    So glad you're in the know, and are getting what you need. :)
    I've not been tested.
    +2
    I'd love to find an inexpensive home test, so that I could set my own daily dose.
  • LQ~phaet Temlako... 2013/05/22 23:14:02
    LQ~phaet
    +2
    The only home test I would trust is the one advocated by the VDC, but that's $70 a pop. But, if you can get it done with your doctor's order, you can still set your own daily dose. It's important to understand dosing recommendations that are based on particular test levels, age and weight, if you want to decide how much to take for yourself.

Some say start supplementing a conservative amount and then test 60 to 90 days later, then adjust the dose. Some say to get a baseline, supplement accordingly for 3 months, then retest to adjust dose. Anyway, two tests a year at least, is prudent.

At least the supplement, itself, is very inexpensive.
  • being me 2013/05/22 19:37:12
    I've not been tested.
    being me
    +3
    I'm outside a lot of the time in the summer, spring, and fall, I try to get out as often as possible when the weather is nice during the winter.
  • LQ~phaet being me 2013/05/22 23:14:28
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    It's a good idea to do so.
  • being me LQ~phaet 2013/05/22 23:16:02
    being me
    +2
    I think so to. I have eczema and need vit D and B to keep it from showing.
  • LQ~phaet being me 2013/05/22 23:25:09
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    The sun is good for us, if we make use of it responsibly. I've heard of moderate exposure helping many skin conditions.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2013/05/22 19:27:57
    I've not been tested.
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +2
    I not only spend a fiar amount of time outside in the sun, but I take a multi-vitamin. The concern for me, what with vitamin D fortified milk being the norm, that some of us may be getting too much of what is not a water soluble vitamin, but oil soluble - and can result in an overdose. You can't OD on it from sun exposure or through diet, but supplements can lead to a toxicity. Best to check with your Doctor.
  • LQ~phaet bags th... 2013/05/22 23:19:04
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    "Best to check with your Doctor."

Good advice. No one should go blindly into supplementing more than what is in food and a basic multivitamin. The sun is the cheapest way to obtain it, at the right time of the year, latitude and time of day without sunscreen. The only caveat of getting it that way is that you have to be careful not to overexpose and end up with a burn. Burning is never good.
  • Sir Anthony of Camelot 2013/05/22 19:14:51
    I've not been tested.
    Sir Anthony of Camelot
  • LQ~phaet Sir Ant... 2013/05/22 23:21:43
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    :) You're sunshine in a bag, Ant. You radiate vitamin D.
  • No One 2013/05/22 02:59:33
    I've not been tested.
    No One
    +3
    I don't seem to have any health problems so chances are I am not vitamin D defificient.
  • LQ~phaet No One 2013/05/22 18:15:26
  • No One LQ~phaet 2013/05/22 18:22:30
    No One
    +2
    Thank You Little Queen!
  • Robbb 2013/05/21 10:32:26
    I've been tested.
    Robbb
    +4
    I have Rheumatoid arthritis and my rheumatologist decided to do a check on all of his patients. Turns out I had about the lowest result he had ever seen. So after the bone density test (which turned out fine) I take VIT D tabs along with all the other crap. it is interesting that some other parts of me seemed to function better after I had been on them for a while.
  • LQ~phaet Robbb 2013/05/21 21:13:35
    LQ~phaet
    +3
    You're very lucky that your rheumy checked you. All autoimmune specialists should be doing this. It really helps, synergistically, with other treatments for autoimmune patients to test for and treat vitamin D deficiency.
    I have multiple autoimmune problems, so I know what you mean about it helping in general. I'm still early in my treatment, but it's already making me feel much better, though I'm not expecting a 100% recovery from everything. I still have some pain and neurological symptoms, but like I said, it's early. However, I feel much more vital, rested (less fatigued), clear-headed and my physical balance and strength are getting stronger by the day.
  • Robbb LQ~phaet 2013/05/22 12:23:30
    Robbb
    +3
    The effects of the stuff certainly surprised me. Great to hear that you are getting it under control this sort of condition can be hard to deal with even the drugs you are expected to take can be a problem.You're damned if you and your damned if you don't.. Vitamin D seems to be getting a bit into vogue lately and considering I have blood tests done every 3 months I suppose they were happy to do the extra test. It is all covered by our health system anyway, Well nearly all of it.
  • LQ~phaet Robbb 2013/05/22 18:19:40
    LQ~phaet
    +4
    Yes, yes; damned it you do or don't, with the meds. It's life, I suppose.

Thanks for the gladness. It's great to hear you're benefiting too and that you're covered for 'most' of the tests and treatments you need.

Take care. :)
  • being me Robbb 2013/05/22 19:39:28
    being me
    +2
    Thank you for sharing this. My mom has Rheumatoid arthritis and doesn't get out in the sun much at all.
  • Robbb being me 2013/05/22 19:57:12
    Robbb
    +3
    That probably a problem with many people once they get past a certain age. They dont get out in the sun as much as they used to. However they do need to maintain bone density especially as they grow older. often older people have falls and break bones because of this very problem and often these lead to complications that end up killing them. it would be helpful if she just took some Vitamin D tablets as part of her daily regime. it is hard to overdose on it.
  • being me Robbb 2013/05/22 20:01:44
    being me
    +3
    Ok, I'll talk to her about it. Thank you
  • Robbb being me 2013/05/22 20:19:40
    Robbb
    +3
    If she is being treated by a rheumatologist it is likely she has regular blood test anyway for inflammation so it would be a simple mater of having the blood tested for it as well.We tend to be a bit spoiled here in Australia with this sort of thing as we don't directly pay for the tests. and the specialist consultation is subsidized, especially with chronic conditions. Makes it a lot easier.
  • being me Robbb 2013/05/22 20:34:56
    being me
    +3
    OK. I'll mention that as well.

2015/05/30 22:51:11