Have you ever been tested for vitamin D deficiency?

♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2013/05/20 20:41:56
Apparently, Vitamin D deficiency is the modern day plague, what with our indoor/sunscreen lifestyles.
In times long ago, vitamin D deficiency was synonymous with a disease called Rickets which affected very young children and caused their legs to be bowed. This is what led to infant formulas and milk products being fortified. Breast feeding mothers or breastfed infants, themselves, are often prescribed supplementation.

More doctors are testing for vitamin D deficiency and more patients are finding they are deficient or insufficient. Many who test deficient are finding that their chronic physical and/or psychological disease states are much ameliorated with proper treatment.
Still, not enough people are being tested when they present with obvious symptoms. The consequence is poorly controlled disease states.

The symptoms of deficiency are many and much the same as many autoimmune, musculoskeletal pain disorders, degenerative diseases in general and psychological disorders.

Many factors affect an individual's risk factors for testing deficient in
vitamin D.

Are you Black, elderly or do you live above the 35th parallel? Are you someone who avoids or has no access to the rays of mid-day sun? Do you avoid sun exposure religiously or always use sunscreen? Do you avoid vitamin D rich foods, such as cold water fish, eggs, mushrooms or fortified foods like dairy and orange juice? Do more than one of these factors describe you and/or your individual situation?
Your risk of deficiency is even greater than average, if so.

If you are short on D, you could be feeling much better with a simple test and proper replenishment.

The values for vitamin D RDI have recently gone up, though everyone should realize these levels are just enough to avert overt illness. Anyone who is deficient is not going to reach optimal blood levels with only the RDI.

Vitamin D is fat soluble and therefore it is stored in the body for much longer than a water soluble vitamin is and can accumulate in the body, however, it's much more difficult to reach toxic levels than previously thought.
I recommend a vitamin D test for anyone with chronic health issues or who wishes to take more than between the RDI and 1,000 to 2,000 IU, depending on age and weight.
Note: That's IUs (international units),
not mcg (micrograms) or mg (milligrams).

This vitamin is actually a steroid hormone, once activated in the body. It interacts to a grand degree with calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. Taking in minerals with low blood serum vitamin D is tantamount to useless. Taking in vitamin D without adequate minerals in the diet is a whole other imbalance with consequences of it's own. There's a lot to know about vitamin D and it's necessity and safety.

Want to learn more? Check the link I provided for the Vitamin D Council, and, if you have 58 minutes to spare and want to learn a lot in a very entertaining way, check out this video lecture by Dr. Holick, a national authority on vitamin D research.

If you have a vitamin D story or anything you'd like to share that you know about vitamin D,
I'd love to hear all about it.

vitamin d

Read More: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

• Lonzo 2013/05/22 23:31:49
    I've been tested.
    Lonzo
    +2
    I needed the vitamins! vitamin d
  • ♚Littlɘ... Lonzo 2013/05/22 23:34:53
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    So glad you're in the know, and are getting what you need. :)
    I've not been tested.
    +2
    I'd love to find an inexpensive home test, so that I could set my own daily dose.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Temlako... 2013/05/22 23:14:02
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    The only home test I would trust is the one advocated by the VDC, but that's $70 a pop. But, if you can get it done with your doctor's order, you can still set your own daily dose. It's important to understand dosing recommendations that are based on particular test levels, age and weight, if you want to decide how much to take for yourself.

Some say start supplementing a conservative amount and then test 60 to 90 days later, then adjust the dose. Some say to get a baseline, supplement accordingly for 3 months, then retest to adjust dose. Anyway, two tests a year at least, is prudent.

At least the supplement, itself, is very inexpensive.
  • being me 2013/05/22 19:37:12
    I've not been tested.
    being me
    +3
    I'm outside a lot of the time in the summer, spring, and fall, I try to get out as often as possible when the weather is nice during the winter.
  • ♚Littlɘ... being me 2013/05/22 23:14:28
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    It's a good idea to do so.
  • being me ♚Littlɘ... 2013/05/22 23:16:02
    being me
    +2
    I think so to. I have eczema and need vit D and B to keep it from showing.
  • ♚Littlɘ... being me 2013/05/22 23:25:09
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    The sun is good for us, if we make use of it responsibly. I've heard of moderate exposure helping many skin conditions.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2013/05/22 19:27:57
    I've not been tested.
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +2
    I not only spend a fiar amount of time outside in the sun, but I take a multi-vitamin. The concern for me, what with vitamin D fortified milk being the norm, that some of us may be getting too much of what is not a water soluble vitamin, but oil soluble - and can result in an overdose. You can't OD on it from sun exposure or through diet, but supplements can lead to a toxicity. Best to check with your Doctor.
  • ♚Littlɘ... bags th... 2013/05/22 23:19:04
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    "Best to check with your Doctor."

Good advice. No one should go blindly into supplementing more than what is in food and a basic multivitamin. The sun is the cheapest way to obtain it, at the right time of the year, latitude and time of day without sunscreen. The only caveat of getting it that way is that you have to be careful not to overexpose and end up with a burn. Burning is never good.
  • Sir Anthony Of Camelot 2013/05/22 19:14:51
    I've not been tested.
    Sir Anthony Of Camelot
  • ♚Littlɘ... Sir Ant... 2013/05/22 23:21:43
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    :) You're sunshine in a bag, Ant. You radiate vitamin D.
  • No One 2013/05/22 02:59:33
    I've not been tested.
    No One
    +3
    I don't seem to have any health problems so chances are I am not vitamin D defificient.
  • ♚Littlɘ... No One 2013/05/22 18:15:26
  • No One ♚Littlɘ... 2013/05/22 18:22:30
    No One
    +2
    Thank You Little Queen!
  • Robbb 2013/05/21 10:32:26
    I've been tested.
    Robbb
    +4
    I have Rheumatoid arthritis and my rheumatologist decided to do a check on all of his patients. Turns out I had about the lowest result he had ever seen. So after the bone density test (which turned out fine) I take VIT D tabs along with all the other crap. it is interesting that some other parts of me seemed to function better after I had been on them for a while.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Robbb 2013/05/21 21:13:35
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    You're very lucky that your rheumy checked you. All autoimmune specialists should be doing this. It really helps, synergistically, with other treatments for autoimmune patients to test for and treat vitamin D deficiency.
    I have multiple autoimmune problems, so I know what you mean about it helping in general. I'm still early in my treatment, but it's already making me feel much better, though I'm not expecting a 100% recovery from everything. I still have some pain and neurological symptoms, but like I said, it's early. However, I feel much more vital, rested (less fatigued), clear-headed and my physical balance and strength are getting stronger by the day.
  • Robbb ♚Littlɘ... 2013/05/22 12:23:30
    Robbb
    +3
    The effects of the stuff certainly surprised me. Great to hear that you are getting it under control this sort of condition can be hard to deal with even the drugs you are expected to take can be a problem.You're damned if you and your damned if you don't.. Vitamin D seems to be getting a bit into vogue lately and considering I have blood tests done every 3 months I suppose they were happy to do the extra test. It is all covered by our health system anyway, Well nearly all of it.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Robbb 2013/05/22 18:19:40
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +4
    Yes, yes; damned it you do or don't, with the meds. It's life, I suppose.

Thanks for the gladness. It's great to hear you're benefiting too and that you're covered for 'most' of the tests and treatments you need.

Take care. :)
  • being me Robbb 2013/05/22 19:39:28
    being me
    +2
    Thank you for sharing this. My mom has Rheumatoid arthritis and doesn't get out in the sun much at all.
  • Robbb being me 2013/05/22 19:57:12
    Robbb
    +3
    That probably a problem with many people once they get past a certain age. They dont get out in the sun as much as they used to. However they do need to maintain bone density especially as they grow older. often older people have falls and break bones because of this very problem and often these lead to complications that end up killing them. it would be helpful if she just took some Vitamin D tablets as part of her daily regime. it is hard to overdose on it.
  • being me Robbb 2013/05/22 20:01:44
    being me
    +3
    Ok, I'll talk to her about it. Thank you
  • Robbb being me 2013/05/22 20:19:40
    Robbb
    +3
    If she is being treated by a rheumatologist it is likely she has regular blood test anyway for inflammation so it would be a simple mater of having the blood tested for it as well.We tend to be a bit spoiled here in Australia with this sort of thing as we don't directly pay for the tests. and the specialist consultation is subsidized, especially with chronic conditions. Makes it a lot easier.
  • being me Robbb 2013/05/22 20:34:56
    being me
    +3
    OK. I'll mention that as well.
  • Alacrity 2013/05/21 05:35:15
    I've been tested.
    Alacrity
    +2
    We could all use more vitamin D the doctors say.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Alacrity 2013/05/21 21:16:21
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    This is what I'm finding out. I know I sure needed it. :)

There are only a few diseases that might make avoiding supplemental vitamin D necessary, but, in general, it's safer and more crucial than many realize.

Thanks for commenting, Alacrity. :)
  • kdalexander 2013/05/21 05:29:35
    I've not been tested.
    kdalexander
    +2
    Though I probably should be, especially considering that I have a few chronic conditions that I believe put me at risk.
  • ♚Littlɘ... kdalexa... 2013/05/21 21:22:14
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    Check out the link, kdalexander, in the body of the post (left bottom) for The Vitamin D Council; You can order a test there to be done at home, but check your doc first, as it may be covered by insurance.

I hope you get tested. It could change your life, if you need it. If you test at home and are low, share that info with your doctor, so you can get professional dosing advice.
  • Linkums 2013/05/21 01:05:05
    I've been tested.
    Linkums
    +2
    I was quite deficient. I took some supplements and got it back to a healthy level... but I don't feel any different than I did when it was low.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Linkums 2013/05/21 01:08:43
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    Some people have no symptoms. *shrug*

It can still be an issue down the road, so it's good you got it back to a healthy level. :)
  • Veritas 2013/05/21 00:53:18
    I've been tested.
    Veritas
    +2
    Today as a matter of fact! Was part of a panel of tests. We'll see . . . :)
  • ♚Littlɘ... Veritas 2013/05/21 00:56:24 (edited)
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    What a coincidence, huh?

Glad you got tested. :) It's better to know.
  • Veritas ♚Littlɘ... 2013/05/21 01:03:54 (edited)
    Veritas
    +2
    I think I'll be fine . . . more concerned about cholesterol numbers. Thanks for asking!

have a good evening
  • ♚Littlɘ... Veritas 2013/05/21 01:06:38
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    peace flowers gif

You too. :)
  • Veritas ♚Littlɘ... 2013/05/27 15:28:55
    Veritas
    +2
    Wouldn't you know, it turned out I do have a Vitamin D deficiency! More sunlight and I was recommended to take a supplement. My number was 13.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Veritas 2013/05/27 16:41:58
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    Oh, wow. Thirteen is low. I don't know if you were feeling symptoms, but, if you were, you'll be feeling better as your numbers rise. Some people don't feel bad at all when they find out they're low. Anyway, glad your doc caught it. You'll be healthier in many ways with higher numbers. :)

Hope your other numbers were good and that you'll have a really good day. :)
  • seattleman 2013/05/20 23:57:39
    I've not been tested.
    seattleman
    +3
    I probably should be tested. I'm healthy and all, but here in the Northwest we don't necessarily get enough sun.
  • ♚Littlɘ... seattleman 2013/05/21 00:34:14
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    Some people who feel fine (or think they feel fine) do test low. The northwest has pretty high numbers for testing low, especially during and at the end of a long winter.
    Can't hurt to get tested. :)
  • kmay 2013/05/20 23:10:44
    I've been tested.
    kmay
    +2
    In great shape with D3 and never sick.

By the way, I know people who live in CA and FL and are deficient in D . The docs feel using sunscreen all the time blocks necessary absorption of needed D. They have been told to take 10000 iu D3 daily to try and raise it. They get sick often.
  • ♚Littlɘ... kmay 2013/05/20 23:19:09 (edited)
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    That's great. :)

Yes, it's true many Floridians and Californians are deficient. I live in sunny Florida, but I turned up deficient. I never use sunscreen, but I used to avoid the mid-day sun and I barely got any through foods, except the occasional salmon or sardine dinner. I'm taking much more than 1,000 IUs a day to correct it.

2014/10/20 09:51:27