Have you ever been in a tornado, hurricane or earthquake?

Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2010/06/11 12:07:30

• Big Sexy 2011/09/03 13:47:10
    Big Sexy
    Earthquakes and one waterspout in CA plus many hurricanes in Texas. Ike had me without power for over two weeks.
  • jacktown kid 2010/06/15 15:59:33
    jacktown kid
    +1
    No thankfully
  • Broken 2010/06/14 15:36:22 (edited)
    Broken
    +1
    I have been in many earthquakes - lived in San Diego many years as a child, and was in Tacoma during the 6.8 Nisqually quake of 2001.

I have been through 2 huuricanes. One in the late 70's when I was at Ft Stewart, GA. The other was in the early 90's when I was in Oralndo, FL.

I have never been in a tornado - hopefully never will.
  • PRISCIℓℓA♥ 2010/06/13 23:39:38
    +1
    YES, YES, YES ...

Grew up in Tornado Alley (many down through the years)
    Earthquakes came when I was stationed in Earthquake Zone (CA)
    Hurricanes -- Multiple ones (and Tropical Storms too) .. lived through SEVERAL Major Hurricanes .. including Ivan, Dennis, etc. (this included power outages for weeks, damage to my home/property, having to deal with the aftermath of cleaning up and repairs .. putting up and taking down hurricane panels, etc.)
  • Angi 2010/06/13 00:44:47 (edited)
    Angi
    +1
    I once saw a tornado. We were travelling down this motorway and we all said "Oh look at that cloud dosen't it look like a tornado." Well we don't see many in Britain. We later heard on the news about the tornado hitting the town near to where we were travelling to. It wasn't a big tornado, but it caused some damage. I felt the earthquake that hit Britain, it rattled the furniture in my house, I thought it was a poltergeist. It must be terrifying, for people who go through severe earthquakes, etc.
  • Unintended 2010/06/12 19:59:46
    Unintended
    +1
    Earthquake, yes. Although, as it was in England, it was barely noticeable!
    +1
    Four hurricanes and I don't know how many earhquakes, tornados, not yet and I'm not looking forward to my first.
  • Epiphany 2010/06/12 15:35:47
    Epiphany
    +1
  • beachbum 2010/06/12 13:26:45
    beachbum
    +1
    hurricanes.
  • RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET 2010/06/12 13:23:55
  • Big Sexy 2010/06/12 13:02:21
    Big Sexy
    +1
  • pretz 2010/06/12 13:00:15 (edited)
    pretz
    +1
    earthquake, when I was 6
  • Jay0Byrd 2010/06/12 05:57:08 (edited)
    Jay0Byrd
    +1
    We had a Tornado hit our house and destroy it in 1996 in the Missouri Ozarks we were not in town at the time thank goodness, an small Earthquake hit the St. Louis area during June 1964 and Sept. 1966 they were a result of the New Madrid Fault in southeast Missouri but tremors were only 5.1 & 5.2 on scale: when I lived there as a Teen., then in a Northern Suburb of Kansas City during May 2003 a Tornado moving at nearly 33-mph came within` 335-feet of our house and only 270-feet of our subdivision, but destroyed and tore up several homes in what was known as the Carriage Hills Region of Gladstone, MO injuring many, we dodged the bullet in 03`. makes you wonder when is the next one gonna` hit us... No Hurricanes they don't usually have too much effect on the midwest like IL, MO, or Kansas
  • Earthly Resident 2010/06/12 05:52:48
    Earthly Resident
    +1
    i've been in a tornado, quite an adrenaline rush
  • Dagon 2010/06/12 04:20:22
  • WhoaIt'sSarah. 2010/06/12 03:59:18
    WhoaIt'sSarah.
    +1
    Yep. Tornado.
  • vannuck 2010/06/12 03:44:34
    vannuck
    +1
    a couple of earthquakes but they were small ones
  • julie 2010/06/12 03:18:51
    julie
    +1
    I've only been in earthquakes.
  • Wayne 2010/06/12 03:09:56
    Wayne
    +1
    I've experienced a few Earthquakes. I slept threw a tornado just 3 miles away last week. And have only had rain from hurricanes every fall.
  • joanie baloney 2010/06/12 02:53:13 (edited)
    joanie baloney
    +1
    I have fled from 2 hurricanes (needlessly, I might add), but on Good Friday, March 27, 1964, there was a little shakin' goin' on in Alaska...

2 hurricanes add friday march 27 1964 shakin goin alaska 2 hurricanes add friday march 27 1964 shakin goin alaska 2 hurricanes add friday march 27 1964 shakin goin alaska 2 hurricanes add friday march 27 1964 shakin goin alaska 2 hurricanes add friday march 27 1964 shakin goin alaska
  • NadineA... joanie ... 2010/06/12 03:15:35
    NadineAssaffat
    +1
    Ouch, that gotta hurt.
  • joanie ... NadineA... 2010/06/12 03:43:51
    joanie baloney
    More scary than hurt, I was just a little kid. The dishes flying out of the cabinet while the doors slammed open and shut was pretty scary for me.
    +1
    A;; 3 you has mentioned I has experienced at 1st of hand.Join the discussion! Answer here.
  • keke4252 2010/06/12 02:26:44
    keke4252
    +1
    NO BUT I ALWAYSX TOLD PEOPLE THAT IIF I EXPERIENCED A TORNADOE, I WOULD GET A BAG OF CHIPSX...MY BLANKET..MY PHONE..A RADIO AND MY DOG AND GET IN THE CLOSET... II ALWAYSX TOLD MYSELF THATSX ALL I WOULD NEED TO BE COMFORTALE ND GOD TO BE SAFE BUT I NEVER KNOW IF IT NEVER HAPPENED :D ( II WOULD ALSO PRAY) closet ii alwaysx told thatsx comfortale god safe ii pray
  • madjack 2010/06/12 02:25:45
    madjack
    +1
    All of the above.None of them are any good.
  • danaslc 2010/06/12 01:57:08
    danaslc
    +2
    Yep. Hurricane and Earthquake and had a tornado go right over my car. That was close enough for me.
  • Cinna 2010/06/12 01:51:39
    Cinna
    +1
    many earthquakes nothing else though =(
  • Arizona1950 2010/06/12 01:34:52
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Several hurricanes ...
  • kdpolkadot 2010/06/12 01:27:26
    kdpolkadot
    +1
    nope but i want to see a tornado
  • MO.gal 2010/06/12 01:07:47
    MO.gal
    +1
    Yes, I have been in about five tornadoes. One of them uprooted about five very large trees in our yard. They are very scary! I was in a slight earthquake, it just rattled some things briefly and knocked a picture off the wall.
  • FencerCat 2010/06/12 00:12:36
    FencerCat
    +1
    A very minor earthquake, small enough that it wouldn't be considered even an aftershock in California. And hurricanes... a few. A tornado came through my neighborhood once, but I was at work, so I wasn't involved in it.
  • Deathblooms /m\ 2010/06/11 23:55:09 (edited)
    Deathblooms /m\
    +2
    Yes all 3, and the worse I think was the Earthquake in CA in Northridge
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 2010/06/11 23:39:46
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    +2
    Been in all three. Use to be a over the road truck driver. Got caught in a hurricane in So. Carolina in 1969. Then in 1975 I was traveling from Chicago to El Paso,TX and got hit by a tornado in Oklahoma. In 1991 I was in Northridge, Ca when a 6.4 Earthquake rattled California. tornado oklahoma 1991 northridge ca 6 4 earthquake rattled california
  • Deathbl... zzzzzzz... 2010/06/11 23:59:01
    Deathblooms /m\
    +3
    Was in Northridge also, when that hit.
  • zzzzzzz... Deathbl... 2010/06/12 00:16:04
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    +3
    Bet you had FUN too!
  • princess 2010/06/11 23:33:15 (edited)
    princess
    +1
    I've been in a few tornadoes and a few hurricanes....and personally, my experience has been that tornadoes are much scarier.
  • danaslc princess 2010/06/12 01:58:55
    danaslc
    +3
    Tornado's scare me as much as earthquakes. Earthquakes there is no warning. Tornado's little warning and Hurricanes you have days of watching it come in.
  • princess danaslc 2010/06/13 06:32:56
    princess
    +1
    True.....
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2010/06/11 23:28:20 (edited)
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    Hurricane, a Typhoon, and an earthquake. Actually, in the Pacific Northwest, we just call hurricanes storms.

On Columbus Day, 1962. I was in the ninth grade. Mom picked me up after school and drove me to a thrift store where we bought a full-length tan overcoat for me. When we got home, my newspapers were waiting in a bundle. Being a Friday, the papers were fairly thin, Thursdays and Sundays being the days when the papers were really thick. I clipped the wires that bound them, arranged them in my weathered red canvas bag with “Capitol Journal” printed on it. I fastened the loaded bag on my bicycle’s handlebars and started out on my paper route. I rode north on my street, then west one block, then north for several more blocks. The wind had been strong since I got out of school and was growing stronger as I started the route on Elma Street. With the wind blowing from the south, I lifted the top of my newspaper bag and used my paperbag as a sail to propel my bike along. At the corner of Elma and State, where I turned west again, the trunk of a tree in a little orchard suddenly cracked a foot above the roots and went down. I had studied weather and knew the wind speed was at least seventy-five miles per hour, hurricane strength. I continued on my route. The weather was new and won...

On Columbus Day, 1962. I was in the ninth grade. Mom picked me up after school and drove me to a thrift store where we bought a full-length tan overcoat for me. When we got home, my newspapers were waiting in a bundle. Being a Friday, the papers were fairly thin, Thursdays and Sundays being the days when the papers were really thick. I clipped the wires that bound them, arranged them in my weathered red canvas bag with “Capitol Journal” printed on it. I fastened the loaded bag on my bicycle’s handlebars and started out on my paper route. I rode north on my street, then west one block, then north for several more blocks. The wind had been strong since I got out of school and was growing stronger as I started the route on Elma Street. With the wind blowing from the south, I lifted the top of my newspaper bag and used my paperbag as a sail to propel my bike along. At the corner of Elma and State, where I turned west again, the trunk of a tree in a little orchard suddenly cracked a foot above the roots and went down. I had studied weather and knew the wind speed was at least seventy-five miles per hour, hurricane strength. I continued on my route. The weather was new and wonderful. I felt no sense of danger in spite of knowing such a wind is dangerous. At one house, the Venetian blinds had been sucked out through a broken living room window onto the lawn. Later, on the same street, I saw a large maple tree, already down and lying across the street. The roots had pulled up most of the lawn in front of the house. Some of my customers told me to go home, that no one expected me to deliver in weather like that, but I knew I would have to fight the wind all the way home, and I was mostly going cross-wind delivering my papers, so I determined to finish the route. I kept my eyes open for flying objects, since small things could be very dangerous in that wind, but I had a sense that God was with me, too. At one customer’s house, I nearly didn’t stop in time for a fallen tree trunk as I was using my “sail”. The paper route took three hours, instead of the usual one hour. When I finished and headed for home, the wind lessened, and it started to rain, hard. When I got home, I found a post of our grape fence snapped off by a sheet of corrugated metal, and some of the roofing shingles missing, but everyone was safe and had been worried about me. I think I would have been more afraid inside the house during the storm, wondering what might be coming through a window, than I had been while out in the storm.

While in the Army on Okinawa in 1970 & 1971, I was in two Typhoons. There it was no big deal because everything that could blow away already had. We taped up the windows, and we still went out to our jobs (repairing printing presses, for me).

On Thursday, March 25, 1993: I was shaken from my sleep by an earthquake and a loud noise. Sandra and Christina were up too. Christina asked her, "What is it?" and Sandra replied, "An earthquake." We turned on the TV but nothing was reported. Sandra wanted to go back to bed; she suggested the radio. I turned on the radio and sure enough they were talking about it. According to the earthquake monitors at the Tsunami Center in Alaska it happened at 5:36 am and registered at 5.4 on the Richter scale and was centered 30 miles south of Portland [somewhere near Woodburn]. The Dayton bridge on Hwy 18 is reported severed (8" separation) and impassible. Another bridge in McMinnville on Hwy 99W is reported damaged. In Salem, some plaster is reported fallen from the Wallace overpass. A later report said that it was centered 15 mi. SSE of Oregon City [Woodburn] and registered 5.3 [according to the folks in Colorado] on the Richter scale. It was felt as far North as Seattle, as far South as Cottage Grove, as far West as Tillamook, and as far East as Bend. At 6:43 am it was reported that the Lafayette Bridge in McMinnville on Hwy 18 is damaged. The Center Street bridge over I-5 is closed until they can make sure it is not damaged. The Center Street bridge over the Willamette is still open, as is the Marion Street bridge. Aftershocks may be expected for any quake over about 2.6 on the Richter scale according to the Tsunami Center. At 7 am, it was reported that part of the roof of a school in Portland had collapsed and damage to several businesses. There is a fire at a mill in Molalla. Several bridges on Hwy 18 and Hwy 47 are closed. A Mt. Angel monastery reported structural damage. A partial evacuation of the Cannon Beach area due to the possibility of high tides; there is an automatic warning system there. Highway 35 between Parkdale and Mt. Hood is closed due to a mudslide. Mulino has received some aftershocks [It is now reported to be the epicenter]. The Center Street I-5 overpass is OK. The source of the quake was reportedly 30 miles below the surface. A woman in Pratum reports foundation damage and the loss of their chimney. Seven aftershocks have been reported in the first 2 hours in the Molalla-Mulino-Colton area. Molalla High School reports bricks fallen from the walls. Three hours after the quake, it was reported as 5.7 on the Richter scale according to the University of Washington in Seattle; it started at 5:34 am and lasted for 45 seconds. It was centered under Goat Mountain. I called Adah (former mother-in-law); she was fine. She was awakened by the earthquake shaking her mirror against the wall. She may have a few new cracks in the plaster, but otherwise there was no apparent damage. I finally got hold of Ernie, my son, about 6 pm and found out that he had been visiting a friend named Eric in Woodburn and they were awake when they heard a rumble, but had been asleep about an hour and a half when the earthquake hit. There were video tapes all over the floor. The friend's mother had a collection of porcelain masks which were all OK.

2014/12/18 09:36:56