Have you ever been homeless? Or know someone that was?

Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2009/05/05 18:31:32

• Eddie 2009/05/05 18:36:12
    Eddie
    +10
    I was homeless for about 9 months in 2005. I learned a lot and it made me a stronger person. Although it was not a fun situation, I would not change it if I could.

• Denise 2010/07/26 20:35:42
    Denise
    +2
    My boyfriend who is now an minister in his own church was homless.. we are working together to try and help the homeless who are tying to pull them selfs out of the rut they are in.. by providing care packages.
  • princess 2009/07/23 00:11:53
    princess
    +1
    Thank God I can say no to both these questions!!!
  • pastor dave 2009/06/22 19:27:09
    pastor dave
    +4
    My 25 year old son is homeless. He has turned down all opportunities for education and job training. He occasionally gets a job but usually gets fired for slacking off. He lived with me for a while but was lazy, stole my stuff, used drugs, and lied to me. He is not welcome to live with me any more. He is very straight forward about not wanting to work and says he has no plans to work and get off the streets. He says there are plenty of do-gooders handing out free food so why work. The climate is very mild where he is. I think he will probably always be homeless. He is intelligent but makes the dumbest decisions. It's very frustrating. I really don't want to talk to him or see him but I think I am probably the last person on earth who will talk to him.
  • penny pastor ... 2009/12/08 05:52:09 (edited)
    penny
    hi my name is penny i have the same problem with my 21 year old son. he wont work and has stolen motorcycles. he stays any where he can till they throw him out. im angery for a few reasons.he was suppose to spend the 2 nites with me . i share an apartment and my room mate doesnt want him there. he lived with us before and we got thrown out mostly due to him. so he came back from california where he was on the street also. hes at my house now . and the biggest problem is i cry because i dont know if i can do it again throw him out on the street knowing he has no where to lay his head . but he does it to him self. he has no respect for me at all. he bring stolen things to my house. i barly have any food. he doesnt care he eats all of it . he wont go to work or even try. i just needed to find some one who was going through it.what do we do?
  • crimson dragon 2009/05/16 00:29:14
    crimson dragon
    +1
    Never been homeless. Known a few people who were.
  • ladytisi 2009/05/15 19:46:11
    ladytisi
    +1
    my hubby a long time prior to us meeting was homeless for 2 yrs living with friends or in his van ... my son chose to be homeless for a period of time because he refused to live by our homes rules n i had a younger child whom i refused to allow to be dragged down ... he was physically violent to me including throwing down my wheelchair and stomping on it ... he is now married with 2 children ...
  • my*hips*dont*lie* 2009/05/15 18:49:13
    my*hips*dont*lie*
    +1
    ..ive felt it in my heart..
  • [PRISONMOON]+[RSSH] 2009/05/15 18:48:53
    [PRISONMOON]+[RSSH]
    +2
    I was homeless one time due not to misfortune, or being disadvantaged, but my own poor descisions....I also
    got out of that situation by wising up and changing what I did that caused me to land in that situation in the first place.
  • Bowman 2009/05/15 18:17:22
    Bowman
    +1
    I know a few homeless people by name. They appreciate charity but are not beggars. They choose their lifestyle and aren't ashamed of it. They don't stay at the Local Shelter because it is full of child predators and other sexual deviants that keep stealing their underwear. They watch out for eachother and help inform local law enforcement with information from the street. However, they are drunks and wander into traffic occasionally, and they are all currently in the mental health system and are technically not mentally stable so I don't offer them work or bring them home for supper. I do help them out with Top Ramen every so often and buy "roadside art" from them.
  • Paul Revere 2009/05/15 17:57:27
    Paul Revere
    +4
    Yep, lived in my car for quite some time. I gained marketable skills, applied myself and am doing very well now. Without the help of the government.
  • deleted... Paul Re... 2009/05/15 19:44:13
    deleted 404
    +2
    I'll tell you what, I would think that's no easy feat- I hope I'm never put in that position. I think that would be pretty scary..
  • Paul Re... deleted... 2009/05/16 15:48:55
    Paul Revere
    +1
    In retrospect, the climb out of that situation...with all the hardship and struggles...was some of the best times of my life so far. Tough, but very rewarding. Made me who I am today.
  • UGAGirl "If God brings you... 2009/05/15 17:34:33
    UGAGirl  "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it"
    +1
    No and I pray I never am.
  • P-Funk 2009/05/15 17:13:13
    P-Funk
    +1
    Twice! And, like Eddie (top comment), I am much the better for it. I didn't take a DIME of government money or help either (which is prob'ly the main reason I wound up homeless) to get back on my feet either time.

ALL THE HELP I NEEDED was available from the good and Godly people in local churches, who guided me to privately funded shelters, fed me in their homes, and helped me find work until I could stand on my own again.
  • Caroline 2009/05/15 16:27:55 (edited)
    Caroline
    +2
    When my oldest son was in his late teens, he was hooked on cocaine. He was stealing from us and everybody else. I had 2 little ones at home so he had to be out of the house. A mother's worst nightmare to have to kick your own kid out b/c of drugs in your house that your little ones could get a hold of. Lost many nights of sleep back then, always panicked when the phone would ring.. He stayed at my Mom's until he had stollen too much from them and then he was out of there too. He lived with "friends" that were in the same condition as he was, not good. He is now married and has been sober for many years has to lovely children. =)
  • safari 2009/05/15 16:12:28
    safari
    +3
    I was very young and my kids were both pretty much babies. I was homeless for a few weeks. Street homeless, not bouncing between friends and family. Finally I got some help from a family member until I could find work. Thanks to a horrible husband that abandoned me and my kids for a drug induced stupor this happened. I had five dollars when I came home from walking the kids one day to find we had been locked out. The landlord let me in to get what ever I could carry out which was little more than some snacks and baby clothes. I set of down the street with them in a stroller and no idea what to do next. Those were some of the worse days of my life. I was able to get far beyond those days though but it took a lot of work and determination. I am very compassionate with people in need and understand it can happen to anyone, but have little use for people who work the system. I never took a dime of government aid. I got myself into that mess by making a very bad decision about who I married. It wasn't the government's fault.

I wish there were better answers for the homelessness in America. Of course I met other homeless people too while in that state. Some were nuts, some were lazy, some were drug addicts and some had unusual circumstances such as mine were. It can happen to anyone...

I wish there were better answers for the homelessness in America. Of course I met other homeless people too while in that state. Some were nuts, some were lazy, some were drug addicts and some had unusual circumstances such as mine were. It can happen to anyone so be thankful and appreciate what you have. How ever little it may seem compared to what some others have, if there is a roof over your head, you are one of the lucky ones in the world.
  • Seth 2009/05/08 14:24:38
    Seth
    +1
    for a limited time, and it was pretty much by choice...
  • madjack 2009/05/07 05:27:21
    madjack
    +2
    I've been on the street when I was a young man and a job that was lined up in Fairbanks closed down without notification.My buddy and I got jobs fighting forest fires after a short time.We were lucky as could be.As a disabled vet,I know I face a real threat of becoming homeless.Now at over 60,I don't know if I could hack it ,and it scares me.
  • victorious christian 2009/05/06 18:01:52
    victorious christian
    +2
    Three times.
    The first time, I was 19. But I had a car and a job. So, I rented a room over a bar.

Second time, I was newly divorced, 42 years old, but I had a car and a job, so I slept in the corner of the construction site where I was working. Ate one bowl of oatmeal a day.

Third time, I had a car and a job, 49 years old so I bounced around from motel to motel, to friend, to couch.
  • Shane - oldschoolelf 2009/05/06 15:08:34
    Shane - oldschoolelf
    +2
    I used to be a truck driver and I had to make a living and sleeping in the truck for a month at a time. When I went back home I felt like I was more of a guest than a member of the family.
  • Mom *Standing in the Christ... 2009/05/06 14:01:13
    Mom *Standing in the Christian Line*
    +2
    I lived for a while in a van.....but I made it a ''home''......I was lucky in that I had a place......no matter how small....or mobile.......it was a home.......
  • tiotom77 2009/05/06 11:34:36
    tiotom77
    +2
    I was riding Greyhound through Billings MT. They closed the depot over night..so I had to walk the streets..Nothing was open. I was releaved when the bus station opened..It was just a few hours...I can't imagine living in the streets all the time.
  • NIEVES 2009/05/06 09:42:04
    NIEVES
    +2
    Well ,kind of. I spent one month at my mom's and one month at friend's house till I got myself a place of my own for me and my pets
  • turtledove123 2009/05/06 09:30:36
    turtledove123
    +2
    I've been blessed thus far with not having that experience. I am very aware that it can happen to anyone in these times. I keep on praying to be ok through these bad times, and I try to help those that I can. No one that I am close to has been in that situation, but I'm sure that someone I must have known in life has probably been in it.
  • Yellow ... turtled... 2009/05/07 14:11:55
    Yellow Tail
    +2
    Been there done that... not so long ago either when the economy and the homebuilding industry failed, my business failed and some health issues. PD reared their ugly heads and my ex decided I was too much of an embarrassment because I "twitch" a little and I was the sole cause of the housing industry debacle... ("in sickness and in health" can be such a travesty") I had a great job with great benefits and everything described as the "American Dream". It left me with little more than my doggie, Buddy, who is still with me and my best friend, my vehicle and a dwindling retirement fund that should have and would have been a means for early retirement, and long lines of hurry up and wait. I spent several years wandering around with Buddy fighting the SSA for disability which is still an on-going ordeal. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have rebelled and told the IRS and the SSA to take a hike because it is lost money that I needed "now" and I will never see a comparable return on the investment. But finally, I found a respite that I now call home. We, me and Buddy, are fortunate now to have something back that resembles a full life but it was an awakening and not something I could wish for anyone... it has been the most humbling and humiliating situation of this life. Now, wh...''""''

Been there done that... not so long ago either when the economy and the homebuilding industry failed, my business failed and some health issues. PD reared their ugly heads and my ex decided I was too much of an embarrassment because I "twitch" a little and I was the sole cause of the housing industry debacle... ("in sickness and in health" can be such a travesty") I had a great job with great benefits and everything described as the "American Dream". It left me with little more than my doggie, Buddy, who is still with me and my best friend, my vehicle and a dwindling retirement fund that should have and would have been a means for early retirement, and long lines of hurry up and wait. I spent several years wandering around with Buddy fighting the SSA for disability which is still an on-going ordeal. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have rebelled and told the IRS and the SSA to take a hike because it is lost money that I needed "now" and I will never see a comparable return on the investment. But finally, I found a respite that I now call home. We, me and Buddy, are fortunate now to have something back that resembles a full life but it was an awakening and not something I could wish for anyone... it has been the most humbling and humiliating situation of this life. Now, whenever I see a homeless person, I try to do what I can to help. But I learned first hand that some just can't be helped. It makes me sad to see them and I often wonder what their story is. Many I passed on the road were truly in need, others chose the life because they didn't want to do anything but use whatever they could to dull their senses. Those folks I find little sympathy for... I ran into so many who refused to try to make a difference in their own life and used SSI benefits or resorted to illegal means to gain access to drugs and alcohol only... The ones who were just "victims", so to speak, of unfortunate circumstances were trying to find their way back to real, productive life and I hope they finally made or make it back. I usually don't reveal that about myself because of the obvious stigma that comes with being homeless or to have been homeless... but it's real, I know it, and can happen to anyone who least suspects it. Education, lifestyle, dreams, work ethic sometimes have little to do with it... I had it, all of it, but something happened and none of the diplomas, the homes, the plans or the energy put into it all made any difference. Life is life and it can go in any direction... planned or otherwise!

Cheers...

YT
  • lil mama 2009/05/06 07:07:10
    lil mama
    +4
    about 8 years ago and I was 5 months pregnant...
  • Hell2Heaven 2009/05/06 06:36:48
    Hell2Heaven
    +3
    Yes..Seen alot of crazy situations...Now that I am not I try to help out where I can...
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2009/05/06 06:35:51
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +7
    I lost my house (due to getting cancer, going on ST disability) and my son and I slept in our car for a week...then found a homeless shelter that was very scary to stay at....some of the people there were so angry and violent that I don't know if I ever slept. I just sat next to my son as he slept to keep him safe. I never thought I could ever be on that side of the fence but it happened and it could happen again. It made me a strong person and made me appreciate every little thing in life.
  • Quebius 2009/05/06 06:14:50
    Quebius
    +7
    I have been homeless in my younger years. I decided that it wasn't anyones job to support me, but me. So I got off my ass and made something of myself. I think that is why I am such a hardcore convervative.
  • victori... Quebius 2009/05/06 18:04:41
    victorious christian
    +3
    I am exactly the same way. A conservative who believes in the potential of every human to rise above their circumstances on their own. From my homeless days, no welfare, no food stamps, nothing but a "buckle down and do it" attitude. Handouts and bailouts limit personal self-reliance. Personal self-reliance creates self-confidence.
  • Loaded Revolver 2009/05/06 05:19:45 (edited)
    Loaded Revolver
    +4
    At one point and it was tough. But you can always build up what you have lost. I did.
  • strawberry 2009/05/06 05:14:27 (edited)
    strawberry
    +4
    I was not exactly homeless living in streets. My first husband left me and three children in a parking lot somewhere in OK. late at night. We were all living in KS. He took off for Houston TX. He came back for us months later. I did not trust him. I had $3,000 in cash on me. He had another vehicle parked in Ok., left us, drove on to Houston TX. so did I. There is too much detail, so I have to get to the point. I found my way to Houston, got a job and apt. After a year in Houston, I moved back to my family in N.Y. My mother was miserable, did not want us in her house. She had a big house. My father tried, had cancer, died the same year. I took my 13 year old daughter to live with good friends in N.J. where we once lived. My mother made my 16 year old son go back to TX to live with his father, very emotionally abusive. I had to get out of her house moved in with a divorced man with two sons. His sons were monsters, would steal my money. I was there for two months then took my son, moved in with an old man I met, who I hated. Through all this going on I was working. My father died. I took a studio apartment on L.I. N.Y. with my younger son. My older son came back from TX a mess, moved in with me. My mother would not let him live with her. I worked two jobs, day and night. I was very on my own. I picked up my daughter almost every weekend from N.J. So I guess you could say I kept myself and children from being one step homeless in the streets.
  • FoxFairy 2009/05/06 04:18:08 (edited)
    FoxFairy
    +3
    I was homeless on and off from ages 17-19. About seven years back I worked at a place that helped the homeless so I got to know LOTS of them.
  • strawberry FoxFairy 2009/05/06 05:34:41
    strawberry
    +2
    That is a horrible way to live. How are you now?
  • FoxFairy strawberry 2009/05/06 13:21:22 (edited)
    FoxFairy
    +3
    Well right now I am doing fine but, I think the experiance gave me an interesting prespective on homelessness. I was actually homeless in a small town that at the time didn't have any homeless but, me and my then boyfriend. The place I worked at was in a slightly larger area but, things have changed and there are lots more homeless in small towns than there once was, sad sign of the times.
  • strawberry FoxFairy 2009/05/07 04:54:35 (edited)
    strawberry
    +2
    Homeless in small towns, pitiful. This is America. We have enough food to feed every other country. When will The U.S. Government start taking care of Americans first. homeless towns pitiful america food feed country government care americans homeless towns pitiful america food feed country government care americans
  • Peggy 2009/05/06 03:01:51
    Peggy
    +2
    For a few months back in 76
  • bill 2009/05/06 02:48:04
    bill
    +1
    I heard the nice thing about dating a homeless person is that you can drop them off anywhere.
  • Mrs. V 2009/05/06 01:42:40
    Mrs. V
    +2
    No, but there are homeless people in my area. And I have had friends, mostly bipolar, or mental issues just a millimeter away from homelessness. No matter how much you tried to help, they kept making bad decisions.
    I have actually thought about what I would do if something like that happens. Where I would sleep, what materials and where to find them to build a temporary shelter.
    I lived in the Box Car Children era. My brother, sister and neighbor kids all collected junk from the land fill the people across the gully had to furnish our playhouse. It was real play, we had to sneak over there without being seen. It was the 1950's. We made houses with bamboo that we wove together and our parents let us sleep in them.

You wouldn't believe how much useful junk you can find on the side of the road that has fallen out of trucks, cars, etc. Towels, jackets, rope, shoes, blankets, firewood. Just keep your eyes open.
  • turtled... Mrs. V 2009/05/06 17:42:38
    turtledove123
    +1
    Yep, the mentally ill are so taken advantage of too! When they were in public housing, they would only have to pay about a third of their income for rent, and the druggies would get to them, and befriend them, (not really) and take their money when they got their SSI. These poor people would wind up evicted because they never got their money back. A lot of those folks were kicked out of mental facilities that had closed down. You tried to teach them not to let people take their money, but they thought they were friends. It was heartbreaking.

2014/07/25 03:24:51