Have you ever argue with a COP?

Huki68 2012/09/18 18:19:45

• Tinka123 2012/09/18 21:52:58
    Yes and this is why
    Tinka123
    +5
    A couple of times. One tried to randomly shake me down for no reason, well... wanted me to empty my pockets etc. I protested. He eventually relented. On another occasion, the officer was so respectful I shook his hand. Is like any other interaction, they get as much respect from me as I do from them. I'm not dazzled by shiny objects - they're just people like the rest of us.

• ~SweetAngel~ 2012/09/18 22:09:49
    Yes and this is why
    ~SweetAngel~
    +2
    Yes the bastard pulled me over for no reason, pissed me right off
  • JohnT 2012/09/18 22:07:29 (edited)
    Yes and this is why
    JohnT
    +3
    Being a ex-cop myself I try to cut them slack but every now and than you have a dunder head rookie that does not use their head. I was getting on the freeway and it narrowed down from two lanes to single lane on ramp real quick and a officer was sitting on the right side with his vehicle partially in the traffic lane, no four way flashers and a car entering same time as me, and he almost hit me because there was not enough room thanks to the illegally parked patrolman. I laid on the horn and gave him a little jump, I knew he would light them up and that was fine with me, I wanted to discuss his parking and to get his badge and name. Sure enough he pulled me over and was going to cite me for illegal use of horn. I explained why I honked at him and wanted his name, badge number and supervisor, and he turned abruptly left and took off in his car. That was dumb because I had written down the unit number and called it in next day to complain. I did not hear anything for almost three months and got a real nice letter from his supervisor apologizing for the incident and that corrective action was taken. I was really surprised because generally those things don't happen.
    My advice is don't mess with them they have a hard job to do, but this guy endangered my safety and another persons.
  • cents-less 2012/09/18 22:03:35
    No and this is why
    cents-less
    +2
    Why should I argue with someone who is trying to their job, could be having a bad, is in a position to make my day a lot worse. I just try to be polite as possible and if I have a problem take it to the next level.
  • Maddog 2012/09/18 21:55:04
    Yes and this is why
    Maddog
    +2
    When I was 19, I was stopped by a cop in Buffalo, New York, for going down a one-way street the wrong way. When he pointed this out, my reply was "well, I was only going one way"! Needless to say he didn't appreciate my comment.
  • Huki68 Maddog 2012/09/18 22:01:54
  • Tinka123 2012/09/18 21:52:58
    Yes and this is why
    Tinka123
    +5
  • Huki68 Tinka123 2012/09/18 22:02:05
  • Tinka123 Huki68 2012/09/18 22:08:27
    Tinka123
    +1
    Body language... that's the key.
  • bmxschoolbus 2012/09/18 21:50:47
  • Huki68 bmxscho... 2012/09/18 22:02:26
    Huki68
    +1
    Some are just Fu****ers
  • gmiing 2012/09/18 21:46:18
    Yes and this is why
    gmiing
    +1
    Yep - and he still gave me the ticket.
  • rand 2012/09/18 21:36:01
    Yes and this is why
    rand
    +2
    For several reasons, once because one was tailgating me. The other two arguments I won in court.
  • Lanikai 2012/09/18 21:21:38
    Yes and this is why
    +1
    He lied.

He lied in court, and I called him and the judge both liars. I had to pay the ticket, but I filed complaints against both. Judge is being reviewed, police officer has resigned, I was not his first complaint.
  • jgh57 2012/09/18 21:15:10
    No and this is why
    jgh57
    +2
    No and I never would. This is something I've taught both my sons. The police are always right. Never argue. If we need to we can straighten things out with an attorney later. The police officer for his and everyone else's safety must always be in control of the scene.
  • MrsB 2012/09/18 21:14:52
    No and this is why
    MrsB
  • rebeccasrevenge 2012/09/18 20:49:03
    Yes and this is why
    rebeccasrevenge
    +2
    I always argue with cops-bitch slap em too
  • Juan O'Mara 2012/09/18 20:46:37
    Yes and this is why
    Juan O'Mara
    +2
    got profiled er I mean pulled over I was not asked if "I knew why I was stopped" nor did he tell me he just asked for our ID's comes back and says "our vehicle mathces the description of one involved in a shopplifting incident earlier" I looked at him and said "sounds like a bunch of [...] to me" lulz he got mad and went all sphincter faced sphincter face
  • Stef and the City 2012/09/18 20:46:28
    No and this is why
    Stef and the City
    +3
    I flirted with him instead.
  • Culgan Stef an... 2012/09/18 20:50:58
    Culgan
    +2
    So, did it work?
  • Stef an... Culgan 2012/09/18 21:00:48
    Stef and the City
    +3
    Well I didn't get the speeding ticket if that's what you mean lol. I did get a warning though... That really smartened me up (possible sarcasm?). Not all cops go for that though, you have to sort of feel them out first or you can end up with a ticket for trying to flirt with them. Now THAT would be embarrassing!
  • Culgan Stef an... 2012/09/18 21:05:56
    Culgan
    +2
    Glad you got out of it...but not only the embarrassment, could you imagine how ego crushing it'd be if it didn't work? >.<
  • Stef an... Culgan 2012/09/18 22:11:10
    Stef and the City
    +1
    Haha no kidding. I'm sure it has happened to people plenty of times though.
  • Lulu's Mom 2012/09/18 20:32:39
    No and this is why
    Lulu's Mom
    +1
    No, not a good idea.
  • Will 2012/09/18 20:30:16
    Yes and this is why
    Will
    +1
    I was around 11 years old and was with my cousins and brother at the park at around 9 at night. The park is up the street from my cousin's house. The cop was shining a POWERFUL light directly at us. He asked us to come over his car and asked us what we were doing (with an unnecessarily aggressive tone). We replied with aggression (naive we were then) back to him that we were doing nothing. Then he kept questioning our motives for being at the basketball court, when we were there to play basketball. Then he finally realized that we were innocent and he left. We were pissed off to be confused with delinquents.

If we were caught there now after hours we probably wouldn't be quite as innocent. So I no longer hold a grudge towards police, I mean they're really just doing their job.
  • JakeisHere 2012/09/18 20:23:33
    Yes and this is why
    JakeisHere
    +2
    If you know your rights, most of the time you can just state what you know to the officer, they will get the idea that you know what the law is and they will usually back off.

Used this many times when cops have asked to look through my bag or have pulled over to ask me "what I am up to."

Educate your self on what you have the right to resist when talking with an officer.
  • Stef an... JakeisHere 2012/09/18 20:48:43
    Stef and the City
    +1
    How suspicious do you look if you've been pulled over many times and asked what you are up to or asked to open your bag? Are you frequenting areas known for drug deals?
  • JakeisHere Stef an... 2012/09/20 15:04:16
    JakeisHere
    +1
    Cops will do anything to meet their quota, and they do it much more frequently to men.
  • JakeisHere Stef an... 2012/09/20 15:04:48
    JakeisHere
    If you have to ask you probably don't drive much.
  • Stef an... JakeisHere 2012/09/20 17:02:09
    Stef and the City
    +1
    Relax, I was only kidding around with you.
  • Huki68 Stef an... 2012/09/20 17:59:18
  • RayG 2012/09/18 20:23:23
    No and this is why
    RayG
    +1
    Never needed to
  • kitkat42 2012/09/18 20:21:24
    No and this is why
    kitkat42
    +1
    No, its pointless. If you have an issue with ticket, or such, take it to court.
  • Sean-Thomas Reynolds 2012/09/18 20:11:43
    Yes and this is why
    Sean-Thomas Reynolds
    +3
    The cop was wrong about my out of state tags being ecpired while i was on active duty.... Judge ruled in my favor
  • Jana~ una chica loca 2012/09/18 20:10:11
    Yes and this is why
    Jana~ una chica loca
    +1
    it was a joke
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/09/18 20:05:34 (edited)
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/09/18 19:58:47
    No and this is why
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    There's nothing to be gained.

It's just, "Yes, sir or ma'am."
  • Gone Away 2012/09/18 19:58:09
    No and this is why
    Gone Away
    +2
    I'm smart! ;-D
  • plainasitcomes 2012/09/18 19:57:44
    No and this is why
    plainasitcomes
    +1
    They usually like me, so I never had to :)
  • Robin 2012/09/18 19:56:27
    Yes and this is why
    Robin
    +3
    Why... I was stupid. Result? 3 days in the clink, waiting for family to raise bail. Lesson learned? Absolutely. Little Miss yes sir no sir now.
  • cj 2012/09/18 19:55:06
    Yes and this is why
    cj
    +2
    I disagreed with the cop, I did not argue. Our behavior never escalated to that... however I was being written up with a violation of the Highway Traffic Act (in Canada), and as an engineering consultant that actually designs and supervises the construction of highways, I am familiar with the Act, and the cop was poorly informed. He would have embarrassed himself in court, and I gently pointed this out, providing my name and phone number and my license and registration.. and kindly asking (using the title "sir") that he should perhaps do his homework, review the Act, and then if he still believed I had violated it and performed my maneuver in a dangerous manner, to advise me so and proceed with the written process and fine.... I never heard from him again, and I hope he did his homework so that he was better able to do his job in the future.

I am not afraid to speak up for myself, even to cops.... and I do so with respect and always try to offer them an opportunity to change their approach without affecting their dignity, putting them in a corner, or raising their blood pressure.... and it typically works...

just like asking if you can please see the reading on the radar gun as you are not disputing that you may have been speeding, but your odometer indicated di...

just like asking if you can please see the reading on the radar gun as you are not disputing that you may have been speeding, but your odometer indicated differently, and you would like that peace of mind before you go to your dealership to have the car worked on to correct your equipment.....lol..... if they cleared the gun, you won't get a ticket.....

2014/04/25 07:44:46