Have you been told you are an "Old Soul"? What does that mean to you, and are you complimented?

ANGEL 2012/04/18 13:57:05
My understanding is that the term might have its' roots in Buddhism, but I'm not certain. This apparently relates to the idea that when the person dies, his soul occupies a new body. Other religions hold similar beliefs. Hindus believe in reincarnation. In Scientology it is believed that you are not your body, but a spirit/soul, and that you live many lives. In that sense, everyone is an 'old soul'. However, when someone is called an "Old Soul" it has a deeper meaning -- usually that one is "wise beyond their years". The expression "old soul" is often attributed to them and is meant as a compliment.

Have you been told you are an "Old Soul"? What does that mean to you?

• jeanette brophy 2012/12/28 00:13:45
    jeanette brophy
    +17
    To me it means I am more understanding of your problems, and feel I offer a support relationship for not being judge mental. I have a calming effect on how you feel. Some of the people I meet have a problem with my personality, however I treasure the name "Old Soul" and my gift.

• Jen 2014/01/22 14:44:48
    Jen
    +4
    I have had a stranger or two to mention my beautiful aura or light around me. I am not sure what this means. Many of my friends and family seek me out for advise. But I get bothered by so much negativity from others sometimes. Like it drains me or something.
  • Fred Harris 2013/04/19 00:12:26
    Fred Harris
    +2
    I have been told this also, and am just beginning the journey of my destiny. All other old souls who would befriend me would be appreciated.
  • shannon Fred Ha... 2013/05/19 19:31:59
    shannon
    +3
    Live life to its fullest and just enjoy it
  • MElliott722 2013/03/26 02:16:17
    MElliott722
    +5
    I've been told all my life that I'm an old soul and I do feel it at times that this life is very draining. Some of us I believe are sent back to learn something that we've missed where as others are here to guide those that are lost. To be that shining light for them in their darkest moments in one way or another. I believe in some way either in tiny pieces or full rememberance we carry bits of ourselves from each life to the next enriching our souls with that knowledge. The older the soul the more knowledge, understanding and wisdom carried over.
  • natasha... MElliot... 2013/03/27 17:56:33
    natasha howard
    'To be that shining light for them in their darkest moments in one way or another.' - That sounds kinda familiar as well :) Sort of doing that for a friend right now.
  • natasha howard 2013/03/25 00:33:26
    natasha howard
    +1
    Yes, I have been told that, and feel like it, I am 27 going on 40 it seems like. I found teenagers too immature for me especially, even when I was one myself. Some of the things other people have said are true for me too. I did have a blue and green aura, but the blue part changed to purple. Does anyone know what that means? I am also very sensitive and understanding (I hope) and usually want to help other people. I also have very little interest in material/earthly things.
  • Teagan ... natasha... 2014/07/29 04:04:46
    Teagan evans
    +1
    I totally agree with your comment natasha.I dont want to sound full of myself but iam 17 and feel absolulty different from the teenagers my age, like all they care about is their phones, wifi, and money. Well as i see it why put so much love into something that you wont have forever. I appreciate the little moments in life not the material objects.
    Also iam part aboriginal and have been told by many elders that i have an old soul, i feel like i understand alot of things that other people dont but i also feel that ive got abit more to learn. :)
  • The Phantom 2013/01/28 02:58:25
    The Phantom
    +2
    Not sure - I've help two friends over the end this past year. I kind of feel I have one foot in the grave. Strange but peaceful.
  • jeanette brophy 2012/12/28 00:13:45
    jeanette brophy
    +17
  • kerry.s... jeanett... 2013/03/01 23:56:04
    kerry.scoon
    +2
    And so you should enjoy and appreciate your gift. It's beautiful in a pure, non fickle way =] Also, having discovered these posts has opened me up to answers I've been missing for a long time. I just want to say that I have beliefs in human nature, but not in anything mythical. I have a huge appreciation for science and the pursuit of knowledge as well as inner reflection and searching for a deeper meaning to my existence.
  • amy 2012/11/05 02:23:04
    amy
    +2
    I was just told my son is an old soul. He is 7 years old. He is very sweet, sensitive, and never wants to do anything wrong. Is that the meaning? Is it a compliment for a 7 year old?
  • ANGEL amy 2012/11/05 02:51:51 (edited)
    ANGEL
    +1
    I believe it is. It often means that the child seems so wise and intelligent for his years.
  • amy ANGEL 2012/11/05 14:40:36
    amy
    +4
    Thanks. Sometimes he tends to act more grown up.
  • Brigitteromina 2012/10/07 17:59:42
    Brigitteromina
    +3
    Yes I have been told that I am an Old Soul. My understanding is that I should have been born many generations ago since I find it very difficult to fit in with today's lifestyle and society
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/05/17 02:44:52
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    to me I think it's an acknowlegment of wisdom and thoughtful thinking
  • kay29 2012/04/19 09:54:20
    kay29
    +2
    Im an indigo so we are amongst the oldest of souls.
    Being an 'old soul' is a previlege to me. A gift of extreme knowledge and sensitivity. I remember exactly who I am, who I was, and who I will always be. On the other hand though, it does not come without difficulty. Very often I am misunderstood and considered a little 'crazy' in what I believe. An example is that Im 14 and i hate social events, finding it far too draining.
  • ANGEL kay29 2012/04/19 14:54:15
    ANGEL
    +1
    OMG - you are 14?! I never knew that. You are certainly wise beyond your years and quite eloquent as well. What is "an indigo"? And listen, Kay, I've also been misunderstood and considered 'crazy' for what I believe. Never let that deter you from being who you are! be true to yourself
  • kay29 ANGEL 2012/04/21 05:35:02 (edited)
    kay29
    +1
    Thank you for your comment, it made me smile :)
    How to explain an indigo....hmm...we are old souls in young bodies, obviously, but...
    An indigo is a volunteer soul who is to help with the ascension into light bodies. We are born with different beliefs than other people, a belief of love and light, and the beauty of being one with God...We cannot be inauthentic, or at least not for long.
    Sound a bit odd?
    Understandable, it usually does.
    I suggest, if you do not understand, maybe you should research the law of attraction or watch the movie 'The secret'. That is where I began and from there you can begin to join the dots in how everything is connected.
    Lol, don't worry though, I'm completely normal, not into voodoo or anything. :)
    Thanks again for your message. It's so nice when I hear from people like you...accepting. :D Can you tell me what you believe? Perhaps we are into the same things.
  • ANGEL kay29 2012/04/21 14:42:50
    ANGEL
    +1
    Fascinating! I never heard of this. Do you have a link to share? As to my beleifs - I I will contact you privately for reasons that I will explain.
  • sheena kay29 2012/11/12 14:08:04 (edited)
    sheena
    +3
    I find your comment very refreshing, i have been told by a few people i am an old soul, although i was 12 the first time, and even then i had no patience for fickleness. Even though it might be a compliment to be told you are an old soul its very difficult not to seem strange or "a little crazy" like u put it ;) my mother asks me advise all the time or u have to remind her what truly matters in the end, and ill say or think things that are wise and it will surprise me, and ill think " where did that come from?". You said you don't like social events, i am the same, i get discouraged by the posturing and ego, the spiteful way people treat anyone who is different and i sigh and close my eyes and tell myself not everyone is like that and there is still good in humanity. God lights up my soul when i feel weary :) ......faith, love and hope is all you have in the end, not power or money! I believe an old soul means u have learnt through failure and pain to be humble and wise, im just not sure when and where those lessons were learned, another life or lives maybe??? I would love to know your thoughts :)
    +1
    I was told that by a woman who could read "aura's". She was actually very excited to seem me and had tons of questions that I simply couldn't answer.
  • kay29 sjalan 2012/04/21 05:37:08
    kay29
    Did she say you had a blue or indigo aura?
  • sjalan kay29 2012/04/21 07:31:41
    Blue
  • kay29 sjalan 2012/04/22 06:39:42
    kay29
    +1
    :) The aura explains your soul state. Blue is great, because it means your soul is very advanced. :)
  • sjalan kay29 2012/04/22 07:08:36
    +1
    That is what the woman said. She told me many other things to that have proven to be true. Rather amazing really.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/04/19 03:22:15
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Yeah I was and it means nothing to me because I don't believe in it. If others do, that's okay with me. Believe what you want. Just don't expect me to.
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/04/19 03:02:06
    Andy Fletcher
    +1
    It's mostly related to the whole wisdom beyond your years, But also a respect for the "old ways". The appreciation of elements of generations past, and understanding of what they were about. If you "get" the movies "A River Runs Through It", "Field of Dreams", "The Sandlot", "The Cowboys", or "The African Queen", you are very likely an old soul.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2012/04/19 02:33:41
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +2
    No, I have never been told that..... I've been told that I have a free spirit and a peaceful heart..... and I just look at them.... like how did they know?
  • ANGEL Barefoo... 2012/04/19 02:34:54
    ANGEL
    +2
    Either way, its a compliment.
  • Barefoo... ANGEL 2012/04/19 02:38:26
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +2
    yes, I guess it is.... sometimes I am so amazed.... God is so good..... that's all I can say♥
  • ANGEL Barefoo... 2012/04/19 02:38:48
    ANGEL
    +2
    And that says it all.
  • Barefoo... ANGEL 2012/04/19 03:12:27
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    thanks....♥
  • Flamingolady 2012/04/18 16:00:45
    Flamingolady
    +2
    I have not been told that, but to me it means someone who is very tolerant and wise.
  • Yosyp 2012/04/18 15:40:06
    Yosyp
    +2
    When I was 16 I was talking about civilians being killed in war and my aunt told me I was an old soul. I didn't understand what she meant for years later. Now I take it as a compliment
  • Pops 2012/04/18 15:02:02
    Pops
    +2
    No no one has ever said that.
  • Metaldane 2012/04/18 14:47:56
    Metaldane
    +4
    The definition for it that I've always encountered is it meaning you have wisdom beyond what is considered normal for your age, and yes I've been told I am one and I definenlty consider it a compliment.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/04/18 14:29:58
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +3
    It beats being referred to as a 'Coot in Training'... I rather enjoy the phrase 'Old Soul'.
  • kay29 DS in O... 2012/04/25 03:37:27
    kay29
    'Coot in training'... lol, I've never heard of that one. Now I know what to call my brother :)
  • SA 2012/04/18 14:07:04
    SA
    +3
    I've never been called that before. Probably because I am already old....lol
    To me it does mean wise beyond their years.
  • Dave0626 2012/04/18 14:06:36
    Dave0626
    +4
    Yes, was told that when I was very young. Did not know what it meant till I was much older. And found out it was true.

2014/08/23 13:19:42