Have any of you had complications from having a plate or screws put in your leg from it being broken?

Jack's Pearl 2011/10/29 19:51:47
Two years ago I broke my left leg in 5 places. I had a plate and 8 screws but in one side and two screws put in the other side. Lately I've been having some very strong pain in my leg. I don't see bruising but it feels like major bruising when I touch my leg in one area. And there's some swelling. I was told by my Dr. that the soft tissues would take much longer to heal, but not this long. He said a little over a year. Well, now it's over two. Have any of you had this type of surgery and then went through this? Since I can't go to my Dr. over the weekend I thought I'd ask on here at least. See what any of you has to say.

• Brenda Robinson 2013/01/16 13:02:20
    Brenda Robinson
    +9
    My daughter broke her upper right humerous when she was in 4th grade from a 4 wheeler race. She had 5 hours of surgery and a vein grafted in her arm. They put in a plate and 3 screws. Later as she did cheer and tumbling, it would swell up like a knot and caused her a lot of pain. She is now on a competitive dance team and her arm is still forming a knot and is now bruising. She wanted to wait until after high school to get it out and she is in 10th grade now and can't afford to be down for recovery time. Any advice? Is bruising normal?

• blue 2014/04/23 04:57:38
    blue
    +1
    Ok I have been hurting allot lately, what the hell hope I wont have to have the plate and pins taken out. could it be the weather or something like that?
  • blue 2014/04/20 20:59:05
    blue
    +2
    yes 2 yrs ago i broke my ankle had pins and screws put in was in a walking cast for 7 months i am on here because i have been having allot of pain lately and wanted to know what is up with that? why 2 yrs later?
  • Brenda Robinson 2013/01/16 13:02:20
    Brenda Robinson
    +9
  • Emmy 2011/11/02 08:05:22
    Emmy
    +1
    Not from a plate or screws, but I had a dissolving stitch put in that decided not to dissolve. So I had to have a second op. :/
  • Kennedy1st 2011/10/30 16:12:41
    Kennedy1st
    +1
    I had surgery on both legs to correct some orthopediuc damage done by polio.After 12 surgeries on my left leg,a develpoed a bone infection.The Dr had to rebuild a portion of the tibea where Osteo had eaten it away>After 22 surgeries,a change of screws and2 plates,I fanally was able to learn to walk again.About 7 years ago i fell and broke my left hip (the same side) and shortened the leg by 41/2 inches therefor making me unable to walk again.So I have been stuck in this chair. woman in wheelchair
  • Jack's ... Kennedy1st 2011/10/30 16:57:52
    Jack's Pearl
    OMG! I'm so sorry for all of that. That's really rough to put it lightly.
  • blue Kennedy1st 2014/04/20 21:17:06
    blue
    +3
    Prayers with you always..
  • glass_butterfly ~YSU~ 2011/10/30 03:32:04
    glass_butterfly ~YSU~
    +1
    No, but my sister does. She got into an almost fatal car accident from a drunk driver that caved in her side of the car with truck. She has a rod in her leg and I believe a screw. That was back in 2004 when she was 17, she still deals with pain every now and then, from that jackasses choice today!
  • Jack's ... glass_b... 2011/10/30 12:36:51
    Jack's Pearl
    I'm sorry to hear that. :(
  • Hukaatir 2011/10/30 03:19:50
  • JanHopkins 2011/10/30 02:35:12
    JanHopkins
    +1
    I don't have any advice but I'm glad you brought the subject up. I broke an ankle a few years ago and it has 2 plates. It does hurt, sort of a shooting pain sometimes. I was glad to read so many peoples comments. I had no idea it could get infected years later.
  • Jack's ... JanHopkins 2011/10/30 12:38:57
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Yea, me too. This isn't something the surgeon brought up. :( I would have liked to know in advance the possible complications. All he said is that most people keep the screws and plates in for life. You can have them removed if they become an annoyance, but he didn't explain what that was. Made it sound very rare. On here it sounds more common then rare. He did say I would get arthritis in the leg at some point. Whether it's early or late, we do not know.
  • .:*:.BrOkEn~AnGeL.:*:. 2011/10/29 23:44:10
    .:*:.BrOkEn~AnGeL.:*:.
    +1
    had a problem with the screws he had in his leg from breakin his foot when he was 18 which was like 40yrs ago and in 2006 he had a walnut hit him in the ankle where the screws were and they started swellin up and had puss come outta them and he went into the emergency room and they didnt do anythin but give him antibiotics and pain killers and in 2010 he went to the orthopedics and he had the screws taken out of his ankle but its doin better now
  • Ira 2011/10/29 22:23:04
    Ira
    +1
    Screws and plates can both irritate and become infected even after years. Hardware failure could also be an issue here. Monday, AM, you need to be in your orthopedics office. If you run fever between now and then greater than 100.4, consider the urgent care center or ED if the pain is becoming intolerable.

Good luck, JP.
  • Jack's ... Ira 2011/10/30 00:00:19
    Jack's Pearl
    Thank you so much. Will do.
  • Doc Frank stein 2011/10/29 22:16:12
    Doc Frank stein
    +1
    Yes; I broke over the ankle joint - the foot was just dangling loose when I broke it.
    They originally put one or two screws in, but I think it would have been better just well-set in plaster, because although some of those joints appear to our limited understanding as mere "hinge' joints, there is always room in the design for some fine movement of the bones within the joint. It is now over 3 years later, and certainly, when I go walking [repetitive movement], some od the lower muscles at the back ["soleus", I believe] tend to hurt after only about 2 mins :(
    Somehow, though, this does not stop me doing 30 min sessions of tennis or racquetball training :)
  • Jack's ... Doc Fra... 2011/10/30 00:01:47
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Good for you staying in such good shape regardless. I must say I've been slowed down ever since this happened. The recover was long for one. And then I just wasn't use to being as active anymore. Now this pain. I'm going in on Monday.
  • Doc Fra... Jack's ... 2011/10/30 06:18:39
    Doc Frank stein
    +1
    Honey, as a student of the human body and Graduate of Human movement, you need to slowly get yourself active again. Just build bit by bit
  • Jack's ... Doc Fra... 2011/10/30 12:39:36
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I will. :)
  • wandering mystery aka Relch... 2011/10/29 22:07:14
    wandering mystery aka Relcho of Anid
    +1
    I knew a lady that used to get this weird rash in her leg that she had pins in.
  • Luckydog38 2011/10/29 21:37:41
    Luckydog38
    +2
    Yes. The plate in my head broke almost immediately and that wasn't even the bad part. When my mother found out it was from her good china, she zonked me again and now I am pretty much relegated to typing ridiculous comments on face book....... ; )
  • Jack's ... Luckydog38 2011/10/30 00:08:13
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    LOL So that's what my problem is! But it shouldn't be. It's not in my head. Hummm.
  • Luckydog38 Jack's ... 2011/10/30 03:33:10
    Luckydog38
    +1
    We all have our cross to bear LOL. : )
  • wolfshadow 2011/10/29 21:35:54
    wolfshadow
    +1
    Every time it gets cold and wet. I also suffer from gout now, mostly in that leg. Feels like burning, it swells and hurts for days... then goes away. If you have redness with the swelling get your uric acid levels checked. It's weird but I know a lot of folks that have had bad breaks get gout. Got mine broke about 6 and a half years ago... still have minor pain flare ups for no apparent reason... Old and Broke... all we are is dust in the wind...
  • Jack's ... wolfshadow 2011/10/30 00:05:55
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Oh, goodie. LOL I'll be sure to remember this.
  • Jack the Dude 2011/10/29 21:27:38
    Jack the Dude
    +1
    Yes, my broken femur, which I am almost out of the cast, the rods were put in wrong. I had to wear the cast for 5 months.
  • Boris Badinov 2011/10/29 21:13:29
    Boris Badinov
    +1
    I'm not familiar with this at all. Maybe some Tylenol would help..? I wish you well with it.
  • Jack's ... Boris B... 2011/10/30 00:06:29
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I've been taking the Aleive soft gels like candy! LOL
  • D.G.rocks 2011/10/29 20:55:16
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2011/10/29 20:07:14
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +1
    I... broke my pinky finger, once. They had to put a pin in it, and then later took it out. It took a while to regain full mobility in it. And yet, sometimes, the finger feels a bit stiff... maybe a little sore... and when I close my fist, it feels weird. I'm a bit concerned about it, but it doesn't seem dangerous, and as long as I can use it without pain, I don't think there's a problem... I mean, it comes and goes...
  • Ol'Dave 2011/10/29 19:58:33
    Ol'Dave
    +1
    Yes. Oh none while it healed, or the years after that enabled the bone to grow strong. But later, I think it was because I ran on Cement, it shifted up into my knee and I had to have it removed.

2014/09/18 10:10:11