Has the true meaning of Christmas been lost?

ToMuchToDo 2011/12/12 10:08:54
Related Topics: Lost, True, Christmas

• Jane Constant 2011/12/26 04:18:56
    Yes, it is more about shopping, baking, and spending your money.
    Jane Constant
    +1
    But at least it still brings people together.
  • luke 2011/12/16 10:47:35 (edited)
    luke
    +2
    Jesus was NOT born on december 25th. Christmas is a pagan holiday stolen by christians who cannot read their own book (it never says jesus was born on december 25th (he wasn't, read the damn link)), likely because they wanted a holiday in december to rival Hanukkah. The birth of your so-called holy light did not take place on the 25th of december.

http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.c...

"We know that the angels announced the birth of Christ to the Bethlehem shepherds in the open fields who were tending their flocks by night.. This fact certainly implies that the birth of Jesus could NOT have been on the 25th of December. "The cold of the night in Palestine between December and February is very piercing, and it was not customary for the shepherds of Judea to watch their flocks in the open fields later than about the end of October." Hislop, A., The Two Babylons, Loiseaux Brothers, Neptune, N.J. pg 91.
  • autumnfae 2011/12/13 14:10:54
    autumnfae
    +2
    shopping baking and spending money on other people is the tradition of Christmas ...
  • kaka702 2011/12/12 23:08:57
    No, everyone remembers it is about the birth of Christ.
    kaka702
    +2
    lets spend time with the family. =]
  • ToMuchToDo kaka702 2011/12/19 12:05:43
    ToMuchToDo
    +1
    I am sorry but I must disagree. There are those who don't believe in Jesus so I would venture to say they dont think about his birth.
  • kaka702 ToMuchToDo 2011/12/19 21:03:22
    kaka702
    +1
    well, okey lets spend time with the family ^_^
  • Beth-RAWR-Foster 2011/12/12 19:06:58
    Beth-RAWR-Foster
    +3
    even if Jesus was born in the summer...
  • unaff 2011/12/12 17:54:30
    unaff
    +2
    Depends on what you consider the true meaning. It's been co-opted as a secular holiday just as it was co-opted by Christianity years ago.
  • luke unaff 2011/12/16 10:49:57
    luke
    +2
    Christmas was originally a pagan festival until the christians stole the date (likely because they wanted to compete with the jews and they hate pagans anyway)

http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.c...
  • unaff luke 2011/12/17 04:46:28
    unaff
    +2
    That was the point of my post.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2011/12/12 17:37:51
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    This will put you in the holiday spirit!
  • Luke 2011/12/12 14:21:40
    Luke
    We Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on Christmas Day. You know the nativity scene and all that! Most have let that part go... some oppose it..... I don't ...Jesus is the reason for the season.
  • luke Luke 2011/12/16 10:51:08 (edited)
    luke
    +1
    Jesus wasn't born on december 25th: http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.c...

December 25th coincided with a pagan festival and the date was stolen by the christians church because they hate pagans and wanted to compete with the Jews.
  • Eddie 2011/12/12 14:03:56
    Eddie
    I guess it depends on what someone thinks the true meaning is in the first place. I don't think it's been lost so much as it's been redirected. Throughout history there have always been special holidays celebrated with the turning of the year and winter solstice. Basicly I think they were created to bring people together and give them a distraction from winter and lift them out of the otherwise dark and foreboding season. The holidays have been dedicated to a variety of figures, both religious and social, over time. Now as people seem to be placing less and less emphasis on faith and more on finances. I guess it's only natural that the aspects of the holidays would follow suit.
    If money is your god then why would'nt the biggest holiday of the year be all about money too.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/12/12 12:50:36
  • Tudie BN 2011/12/12 12:45:04
    Tudie BN
    +1
    It never will be lost ...Its too big !

Merry Christmas
  • shahid86 2011/12/12 12:40:33
    shahid86
    +2
    In this high speed living world, its just a celebration that matters. Sending wishes by text and unable to give personal presence at the eve1
  • Ego Death 2011/12/12 11:40:54
    Ego Death
    +2
    It's an A-OK secular holiday now days.
  • Jada 2011/12/12 10:43:46
    Jada
    +2
    Ah, yes. I was just at a gathering where someone said, "Christmas is about the fact that Christ died for our sins"...and this was said by someone who is supposedly a Christian. The conversation immediately turned to whether or not we were going to have a grab bag and what everyone wanted for Christmas. My husband and I said we did not want to partake and we were looked at like we had two heads. All you have to do is look at the media hype and Wall Street, also how stressed-out everyone gets. The majority of our economy is based on how well a company does between Black Friday and Christmas. It's all gone sooo wrong.

2014/08/21 16:10:11