Has Social Media Made Life Better or Worse?

GMR 2011/11/21 20:00:00
Related Topics: Media, Social Media, Poll, Life
Don't have a lot of time, but still want to make your opinion count? Take the Social Media Quick Poll.

Social media isn't just for connecting with friends anymore. As social networks continue to expand and evolve, they've become increasingly tied in with marketing and advertising. It's not just a matter of throwing ads up on Facebook, either. The real marketing value of social media comes from user-driven advertising, also known as "sharing."

In ancient times, when you saw a fascinating new product on TV, you'd have to wait until you saw your friends to bring it up, and by then there was a chance you'd forgotten about it, or the novelty had worn off. Through social media networks, like Facebook and Twitter, users can share interesting finds immediately. Of course, it's still gotta be a good product to merit sharing, but effective ads for worthwhile products can
be circulated at lightening speed.

The same goes for other elements of social media -- like your relationship status. News feeds and public profiles are a form of sharing that require a cautious balance between privacy and public image. That creates a dilemma for some: What should we share, and what should stay private? Just because you start dating someone, it doesn't mean you must immediately (or ever) post that information on Facebook.

The answer is different for everyone, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

• Neither
    ღ.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.ღJordan-Louiseღ.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.ღ
    +26
    It hasn't made my life as a whole better or worse but the following has happened:

*Social Life = increased by %25

*Bored Levels = decreased by %50

*Motivation to do homework = decreased by %100

*Overall laziness = increased by %80

*Grades = little/no fluctuation

*Amount of sleep = decreased by %20

*Number of all-nighters pulled in order to complete unfinished work = increased by %100

• joe keeney 2012/09/30 18:18:46
    Better
    joe keeney
    Get to hear the truth not liberal spin.
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/09/30 17:40:35
    Better
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    It's helped me track down old army buddies I never thought to hear from again & is a great way to keep in touch. I find it to be quite a bit easier than sending out individual e-mails and not as time consuming as spending hours on the phone.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/09/30 16:40:12
  • King of Gummy Bears 2012/09/30 15:28:07
    Better
    King of Gummy Bears
    +1
    but mostly everybody knows everything now, nothing to hide!
  • phil 2012/09/30 14:13:21 (edited)
    Worse
    phil
    Such is life
  • abigail-13 2012/09/30 14:10:29
    Neither
    abigail-13
    Its done both...
  • clasact 2012/09/30 14:08:17
    Neither
    clasact
    Thus is the only social network I am on so I wouldnt know about the others
  • Who wants a cupcake? 2012/09/30 13:33:21
    Worse
    Who wants a cupcake?
    some ppl cant speak face 2 face with others .
    when ppl r texting sometimes they dont listen.. then u have 2 repeat things over. texting not listening
  • stevie.luplow 2011/12/22 17:24:19
    Better
    stevie.luplow
    +1
    For me personally, it's better because I am 3000 miles away from my family and friends thanks to the military. I get to know what's going on in their lives, and they know what's going on in mine, without having to make a million calls all the time.
  • ramacha... stevie.... 2012/07/15 14:15:25
    ramachandra.enagandula
    better only, becoz now a days every thng we can know in secs of time.. it will useful to every one...
  • stevie.... ramacha... 2012/09/04 22:04:08
    stevie.luplow
    That didn't completely make sense, but okay.....
  • Cathy 2011/12/09 18:55:38
    Better
    Cathy
    +1
    Better for me because I can keep in touch with my family and friends who lives far away.
  • SpecialGuests1 2011/12/08 20:45:15
    Neither
    SpecialGuests1
    It's a tough question. But it does take up a lot of time.
  • Xion Guest 2011/12/04 20:42:05
    Neither
    Xion Guest
    i can live with and without it
  • Jeremiah 2011/12/01 02:42:37
    Worse
    Jeremiah
    Facebook has made cluttering my mailbox with the most useless things it can find its top priority.
  • destiny.joy3 2011/12/01 01:20:13
    Better
    destiny.joy3
    My Name is Destiny Joy I am a Qualified Patient (under the compassionate act Prop 215) here in Kern County. Like many county's in California we too in kern county went detriment to our right to safe access to medicinal marijuana when the local sheriff Donny Youngblood and Bakersfield City Administration threw in to action a memorandum freeze on the coops/collectives/association... threaten to shut us down in 60 days until I joined up with Heather Epps and Kern Citizens for Patients Rights and Raised 50k and collected 26,335 valid signatures putting us in a horrible waiting game. But we say enough lets override all this drama and head ache and cut it off at the source.

A few of us realized the seriousness of this threat to our right to safe access and decided that we can only stop cities and counties from banning or restricting are right to safe access to medicinal cannabis if we join hands as a State Pact and get the justice the we deserve now. We have a California Cannabis Patients for Safe access Pact Initiative that we cant wait to share and take comments on. We think this will stop the ban on the shops once and for all. But It wont work without your support we need help funding a Political Lobbiest for our cause. Unless you can volunteer to go haggle with the feds t...

A few of us realized the seriousness of this threat to our right to safe access and decided that we can only stop cities and counties from banning or restricting are right to safe access to medicinal cannabis if we join hands as a State Pact and get the justice the we deserve now. We have a California Cannabis Patients for Safe access Pact Initiative that we cant wait to share and take comments on. We think this will stop the ban on the shops once and for all. But It wont work without your support we need help funding a Political Lobbiest for our cause. Unless you can volunteer to go haggle with the feds the best thing to do is :

To Join us and help in our efforts Make plans to attend:
    "California Cannabis Patients for Safe Access
    State-Wide Meet and Greet Fundraiser "

Location: The Dome 2201 V Street Bakersfield, CA 93301
    Time: 7 pm until 2 am
    Date: Saturday January 14, 2012

Tickets will be sold thru participating associations or by calling Destiny Joy 661-316-7894
    general admition : $25.00
    V.I.P. Bottle Service : $500 for table seats 8/10 persons

Music by : D.J. Danny Boi Beeman
    Raffle - Silent Auction - Food/concessions - souvenirs

This is a private patient only event all attendees must be over the age of 21, must present valid doctor recemendation, no exceptions.

If you would like to be a Vendor or sponsor please email your details todestinyjoy2@hotmail.com

If you would like to volunteer please contact 661-316-7894

All proceeds go to Stopping The Ban on the Shops there is more info on Kern Citizens For Patients Rights Face book page and on my face book as well. I am the coordinator of this event destiny.joy3@facebook.com. Please if you cant attend forward this Invitation. If you cant vend send a Donation I do not want to fail my patients in Kern County ending in our demise In June. We can only win thru elections up in our State Capitol please join me in the fight for our civil rights

Destiny Joy
    California Cannabis Patients For Safe Access
    Support Coordinator
    300 Norris Road
    Bakersfield, Ca 93308
    661-393-3414

i use facebook to mass email letter like this help patients and there civil rights
    contact me if you would like me help you as well
  • elconejo 2011/11/30 05:33:37
    Worse
    elconejo
    Like I don't have enough to do?lol

PC bunny
  • Mo 2011/11/30 04:13:50
    Better
    Mo
    +1
    Generally speaking, anything that brings humanity closer together is a good thing.
  • uninformedluddite 2011/11/30 01:22:13 (edited)
  • tallChristian 2011/11/29 23:39:10
    Neither
    tallChristian
    Has its ups and downs, a lot of stuff that goes on at church is announced on facebook to get better number ideas but it has affected the way that people develop relationships and dating relationships.
  • Lib-erty! 2011/11/29 22:15:28
    Neither
    Lib-erty!
    It's made some better, some worse. Personally, I've reconnected with a couple of family members that I haven't seen in over 15 years and been able to keep up to date with friends from high school that I used to see every day and now see every couple of months. But so many people put so much importance on social sites, it's sad. I think it's a great way to keep in contact with people who physical contact is not possible, but it shouldn't be replacing physical social contact the way that some people make it.
  • JoLost 2011/11/29 19:50:26
    Neither
    JoLost
    Actually either would have been the choice if it was available. It all depends on the users expectations, wants and needs.
  • Ima 2011/11/29 16:41:14
    Worse
    Ima
    +1
    I'm over sharing my every move with a bunch of strangers rather than living life without "sharing".
  • kurtanderson1 2011/11/29 16:34:54
    Neither
    kurtanderson1
    I think it can be a good thing, as long as you keep your "toxic" friends-the ones who are actually saboteurs- off your list, which has been tougher than I expected.
  • Duane Freemantle 2011/11/29 16:23:45
    Neither
    Duane Freemantle
    It is a convenient tool that allows you to contact multiple people at one time. However, email or phone call has it own convenience.
  • AthenaB 2011/11/29 16:07:08
    Neither
    AthenaB
    Its great to chat and keep in touch with those u havent seen in a while but at the same time u have to watch what u say because it can come back to bite u in the ass. ive seen it first hand.
  • David Sabin 2011/11/29 15:46:35
    Neither
    David Sabin
    I am just still old school i like to talk face to face
  • NancyR1 2011/11/29 15:30:51
    Better
    NancyR1
    +1
    It's easier to stay in touch with people far far away. I love it.
  • raine 2011/11/29 15:21:06
    Worse
    raine
    IMO social media is foolish for people with a 5 year old mentality. Get off the phone and get a real life.
  • PictureTaker 2011/11/29 14:44:00
    Better
    PictureTaker
    +1
    I've connected with former schoolmates over social media and that's been good; my wife and her cousins have been able to keep up with each other much better and that's even better because they are all scattered to the four winds, geographically speaking. Social media can be a good thing or bad, to me, it's a matter of discretion - your whole life doesn't have to be out in front of everyone; choose wisely and carefully what you share, but being in touch and connected is a good thing!
  • politicalsoldier 2011/11/29 14:23:40 (edited)
    Worse
    politicalsoldier
    +1
    Worse because it promotes a more narcissistic self image in people. Why do you people think other people give a crap what you do or how you feel right then. The only reason I'm on Facebook is because people bugged the hell out of me to be on it. The only reason I've ever gone there is to okay a friend request. I've never posted anything nor read anybodies stuff on my wall. and I've never accepted any request for any game, or 22 questions or any other dumb thing people have sent me.

It's called ... I have a business, a family, and a life. People that spend all of their time on Facebook, or even worse, Twitter (I'll never be on that) need to go out and get a life. especially people over the age of about 22-23. I see these 40 year old women glued to their Facebook page all of the time like a bunch of teenagers and it's pathetic.

Of course here I am on Sodahead posting my thoughts. But at least on this site there's a debate of opinions and ideas and not just useless "tweets" or posts. And I do it in short burst in little bits of downtime I may have. I'm not on for long and definitely not everyday.
  • Soosy 2011/11/29 00:29:07
    Worse
    Soosy
    +1
    All media wants is profit. it gives what people want to hear. twisting the stories and manipulating words to give the most shocking stories attracting millions of viewers. Freedom of speech and expression... yeah right! more like freedom of making money out of lies :/ Well you actually get some real interpretations tossed in but because of the major exaggerations the vital honest reliable parts become blurred :(
  • DSSSD94 2011/11/28 22:00:26
    Better
    DSSSD94
    +1
    How can it be worse? How bout we stop creating new technologies and dwell in the past? Mankind evolves, deal with it.
  • politic... DSSSD94 2011/11/29 14:31:46
    politicalsoldier
    +2
    Not every change or new thing is "evolving". We could invent a new WMD that could wipe out an entire nation in seconds. Would that be mankind evolving? We could change into a communist police state, use new surveillance technologies against the populace, and erase all individual freedom. Would that be evolving?

If social media in the long term causes people to become detached to truly personal relationships and therefore less humane to each other, would that be "evolving." Not saying that's the case, but what if? I'm just saying not everything new is evolving and not all change is for the better.
  • DSSSD94 politic... 2011/11/29 15:06:14
    DSSSD94
    I meant to say that all not change is for the worst. Of course you're right, it isn't always for the better either.
  • elconejo politic... 2011/11/30 05:41:35
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2011/11/28 21:53:06
    Neither
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    Anyone who swears Social Media made their life worse, wouldn't have a social life without social Media. Social media is what you make of it. You can pick your friends, topics of interest, you can block yourself from others, try doing that in the real world.
  • elconejo The Eli... 2011/11/30 05:53:58
    elconejo
    First, I'm glad you said, "in the real world". You see, in the real world, you can do all those things...and the friends are real flesh and blood. I've never had to block a friend in the real world, but if I did have to I could.

It's the problem with todays society...they are addicted to social media and realy have no people skills. Social Media breads ZOMBIES.

social media zombie
  • The Eli... elconejo 2011/11/30 22:50:22
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    Too many people gauge their self esteem on how many Face book friends they have. It's clearly gotten out of hand, to the point that I come across as a cold blooded freak when I don't care that someone has a nasty thing to say about one of my postings. And then in the real world some perceive me as "aggressive" because I have social skills.
  • elconejo The Eli... 2011/12/03 08:12:52
    elconejo
    If you do say so yourself...

me me me

2014/11/27 11:23:58