Has anyone ever used "Restore" to paint their deck?

yankee's wife 2010/08/07 20:14:53

We need to put some sort of treatment on our deck. It has weathered for several years with nothing on it at all. We have seen this product "Restore" at Home Depot that is supposed to last for 10 years. However, they only have a small piece of wood painted and it's hard to imagine what a whole deck would look like. It is expensive, so we want to make sure we are going to like it before we invest the money and all the time it will take to paint it on. Thanks for any reviews of this product you can give. Photos would really be helpful too!

• KMW 2014/10/19 17:24:50
    KMW
    +1
    Restore is the worse. I am having the same issues of peeling after less than 6 months. Now I have to figure out how to cover it. Like others, I'm trying to pressure wash most of it but it is going to take forever. Waste of money and time for sure
  • Mike Tate 2014/09/24 20:37:42
    Mike Tate
    +4
    Don't use restore if it is going on concrete. Disaster
  • deb.j.douglass 2014/09/22 19:06:56
    deb.j.douglass
    +4
    Used this crap 1 year ago. Prepped the deck meticulously and had it professionally done at the total cost of $3,000! Started peeling after the first cold snap. 1 yr later more than half is peeled off. I have lost my will to live when I see it!
  • susan 2014/07/23 16:56:37
    susan
    +4
    We used it two summers ago and we love it. We just build more deck and r doing more it is very reliable recommend it to everyone. Only thing is we got dark brown and it gets very hot.
  • Carol sprague 2014/07/15 20:21:07
    Carol sprague
    +4
    Yes did concrete patio last summer still looks beautiful.even thru the hard winter and running the snow blower over it.also just finished large wood deck in fern color used texture rollerbeautiful so far
  • Joyce Kinemond 2014/07/13 15:07:59
    Joyce Kinemond
    +4
    Yes, last year we applied several gallons to 2 decks. After a hard winter, it was all coming loose. Now we are pressure washing and find that it all is coming up. Looks like Hell and a lot of money down the drain. Maybe another brand will be better.
  • Beverly Sondej 2014/07/12 16:41:37
    Beverly Sondej
    +3
    I bought this stuff to paint my 88 year old mothers deck so she wouldn't have to worry about it looking bad anymore...boy was I wrong, it looks so much worse now that I have invested 4 hours in trying to scrape it off. She has a small porch, so it should only take another two days of scraping to get it off. It went on in clumps, so the finish is very uneven...and yes I did read the instructions so I was very disappointed in the result. Thanks for nothing Restore, the product is total crap.
  • yankee's wife 2014/06/28 11:15:03
    yankee's wife
    How about the other new product "Deck Over?" Has anyone tried that yet?
  • joe 2014/06/24 01:26:06
    joe
    +3
    What have people used to remove this stuff? I power washed all day and got a lot of it off but there is still pieces everywhere that didn't come off. Any suggestions?
  • Will Jenkins 2014/06/13 17:05:44
  • Barbara Appel 2014/06/05 16:33:31
    Barbara Appel
    +3
    Do Not Use, I used this on my deck last year and the deck is now chipping, cannot clean off mud, dirt. Have to use hose and scrub brush just to clean. Very hard to apply, used 3 rollers plus had to brush in most places. would not ever use this again, Now I am trying to find a product to cover my deck again.
  • deb 2014/05/27 12:06:08
    deb
    +2
    i'm having same problem...Very expensive....It is starting to peel off my deck....I just did this last summer...look very nice for 3 mons...now it starting to peel off......We thought paying this much money it would work.....I waste money and time for this....I would like to have my money back from this product.......
  • Wendy Greul 2014/05/21 18:22:57
    Wendy Greul
    +3
    We spent a small fortune to use this product on our deck last summer and it is now peeling off in spots. I'm completely disgusted!!!
  • alex 2014/05/16 18:10:39
    alex
    +3
    This stuff I horrible nothing but a waste of money
  • elaine ord 2013/12/03 02:08:42
    elaine ord
    I emailed the customer service dept. of Synta the maker of Restore products voicing my discontent with their product ...I was supprised to get a reply in less than 24 hrs. He "Mike Ward" informed me to take my receipts for paint and rollers back to Lowes for a store credit and have the manager call him. They do not warranty any labor or other supplies I may need to strip the product. I have almost $300 invested in paint alone, but I'm happy to at least get a credit...Good luck to the rest of you.
  • sean ahern elaine ord 2014/02/01 23:44:18
    sean ahern
    +1
    I too used this crap to manufacturers specs in applying. Product Failed in 3 weeks. Reimbursed by home depot but now i have a mess on my hands. It originally failed along the drip edge where water fell from the roof but now is failing in other places. Don't do it!
  • elaine ord 2013/11/30 21:17:40
    elaine ord
    boy where were these reviews before I bought this crap and wasted time and money. 2 months after finishing my deck the peeling started. I'm wondering if there's a class action suit going on...I'll be right on board.
  • laura monroe 2013/08/19 18:39:11
    laura monroe
    +1
    I'm disgusted by this stuff. We applied it not even a month ago, followed all directions to a T, even using the cleaning product first, and ALREADY the paint is coming up at the seams of the plywood underneath and water is getting through on to my parents deck below. We paid around $400+ to paint an area that's 10x20, and the stuff is crap. We are currently going through HD to see what we can do about it.
  • Micah Timothy 2013/07/14 14:38:43
    Micah Timothy
    +3
    After reading the so many negative experiences about Restore, I've decided to try a similar product I saw on Amazon called Deck Reform. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
  • 2013/07/06 15:44:14
    +2
    We purchased Restore for our front and back decks. Figured it would cost about $180 for both based on the amount it was supposed to cover. $480 later we have a hot deck in the summer and it has started to peel up. It has not been a year yet since we have applied the product. We applied the basic stain from the company to the rails and that too is peeling. The rollers suck! We had to go back to Home Depot 3 times for more stain and rollers. We live an hour from HD!The girl at Home Depot said 100% satisfaction from the company. I have gone to the website and it looks like it is shut down no company info is coming up! I have all my receipts and a can left so I'm hoping to get my money back!
  • sean ahern 2014/02/01 23:46:48
    sean ahern
    +1
    The Home Depot refunded my money for materials however I'm still left with a mess. In the spring I will have to put new deck boards down
  • zufanas 2013/07/03 14:52:57
    zufanas
    +2
    Hi there,

I didn't use Deck restore because I came across this website www.deckrestoreguide.com and they have a comparison table with other products thus you can find other better and cheaper options...
  • ZBBfan4ever 2013/05/15 22:54:20 (edited)
    ZBBfan4ever
    +3
    We purchased Restore for our pool deck. The cedar deck was about 6 months old when we had it professionally painted. The deck was slick when wet so we decided to paint the floor with the gritty stuff. The rails were painted with the Restore regular stain. I started painting the rails & couldn't finish due to my disability so we hired a professional painter to finish. He pointed out that some of the paint I had just applied about a month before was already peeling. He fixed it and finished the rest of the deck. The floor surface is no longer slick when wet. But when the sun beats down on the deck it is HOT!! It burned the rubber on the bottom of my water shoes. We bought outdoor area rugs and put down. It was still too hot to walk on barefoot, even with the area rugs. We doubled the rugs together which gave us less rug coverage but it was thicker. It's still hot but you can stand on it for about a minute before it's too hot to bare. We bought 3 giant umbrellas which help a little. Between Sept. 2011 when it was applied, to this spring April 2013 we noticed the rails were peeling REALLY BAD! I tried to clean the gritty stuff on the floor with a brush and a mixture of Dawn dish soap and water. I gently scrubbed and the paint started coming off. I called Synta yesterday and was ask...
    We purchased Restore for our pool deck. The cedar deck was about 6 months old when we had it professionally painted. The deck was slick when wet so we decided to paint the floor with the gritty stuff. The rails were painted with the Restore regular stain. I started painting the rails & couldn't finish due to my disability so we hired a professional painter to finish. He pointed out that some of the paint I had just applied about a month before was already peeling. He fixed it and finished the rest of the deck. The floor surface is no longer slick when wet. But when the sun beats down on the deck it is HOT!! It burned the rubber on the bottom of my water shoes. We bought outdoor area rugs and put down. It was still too hot to walk on barefoot, even with the area rugs. We doubled the rugs together which gave us less rug coverage but it was thicker. It's still hot but you can stand on it for about a minute before it's too hot to bare. We bought 3 giant umbrellas which help a little. Between Sept. 2011 when it was applied, to this spring April 2013 we noticed the rails were peeling REALLY BAD! I tried to clean the gritty stuff on the floor with a brush and a mixture of Dawn dish soap and water. I gently scrubbed and the paint started coming off. I called Synta yesterday and was asked to email pictures of the deck. They claim they want the pictures so they can figure out was is wrong. I still haven't heard back by phone or email. I have a very bad feeling I am going to get the run around. I'm including some pictures of the peeling paint/stain!! We spent almost a thousand dollars on RESTORE! That's not including what we paid the painter to apply the stuff. Which I don't think he wants any part of again. Look what we got for our money from Restore.
    Rolled up   ready to peel Restore peeling off Rolled up   ready to peel disturbing  More restore peeling off Deck floor where I cleaned spot
  • Jennife... ZBBfan4... 2013/05/18 04:45:13
    Jennifer Gavalis
    I am looking into trying this product. I watched a lot of videos on how to apply it. Did you do that too? Right now our deck is traditionally stained and it is very very hot to walk on as well, so I am not worried about that. I am worried about it not lasting as happened with you. That's why I was wondering if you watch the application videos. Thanks for any help!
  • ZBBfan4... Jennife... 2013/05/25 23:39:15
    ZBBfan4ever
    Hi Jennifer, Yes my husband, the professional painter we hired and I all watched videos on how to apply Restore on youtube which the videos were done by Synta. I personally showed Rick the painter, the videos on my computer. So I know he saw them too. I definitely would not recommend Restore to anyone. It's very hard to apply, it's extremely expensive and it doesn't last. I contacted the company on 5/14/13 about their stain not holding up and I'm still waiting for an answer from them. I truly think trying to get Synta to do something about their product is a total waste of my time. Good luck with whatever you choose to use on your deck. My advice to you would be to read as many reviews on the product you choose as you can.
  • Julie Jennife... 2013/06/26 15:45:05
    Julie
    I used it and it was a waste of money. We followed their directions to a tea and we put on a darker brown colour stain and when the sun was on it you could not walk on it. It did not last the winter as I previously said and we tried to strip it off which I guess if you like to pick peeling paint off it came off relatively easy. We ended up removing and rebuilding our deck it was only 5 years old and the Restore was the only product we ever put on it. I also tried to contact Synta and never got a response.
  • Lee Barret ZBBfan4... 2013/06/11 08:07:50
    Lee Barret
    +1
    Well after buyin 25 gallons of this paint I feel physically sick, after reading nothing bad! How can the company continue to sell a defected & possible harmful product? I owned a P.I. firm for years before retiring last year. And I've seen much less harm done from a product than this with less numbers of unhappy folks. I don't get folks. Why are you letting these people off the hook? I'm going up to see the mgmt at the Home Depot 1st thing in the am with my unopened paint cans and see what happens?
  • Julie 2013/05/08 13:03:01
    Julie
    +3
    I used Restore from the home depot , spent a fortune on the stuff and it looked great year one after it was done and held out well over the summer... The test was going to be the winter and it DID NOT HOLD up it has peeled all over we are going to strip it all and use traditional stain. I really liked the idea of this stuff when I purchased as it. The anti slip with the kids was a great idea. Loved the texture but really a waste of money. We did follow the directions as per the video and did purchase the cleaning solution as per their instructions. In fact when I was at the Home Depot paint department this week picking up traditional satin for some wood furniture I mentioned it to the gentleman on duty and he said I was waiting to hear from someone who used it...I am not surprised I didn't think it would work!! All I could think was great I wish he was the one working when I asked about it and purchased it last summer!! We are scraping it off and restaining this summer..
  • jackie Julie 2013/05/15 16:46:50
    jackie
    +2
    I also purchased last July2012 didnt even make it till may all that money wasted I am contacting the company I am probally gonna have to strip deck and redo. My deck is about 12 feet by 30....
  • ZBBfan4... jackie 2013/05/25 23:44:29
    ZBBfan4ever
    Jackie, did the company make it right with you or have you even heard from them yet? I am still waiting for an answer from them on what they are going to do. I contacted them on 5/14/13 then again on 5/17/13. I still haven't gotten a response from them.
  • Al Wood 2013/04/07 20:33:04
    Al Wood
    +3
    Do you have to sand right through to the plywood before you apply these products? Can it be applied over old paint or vinyl coating?
  • Jennife... Al Wood 2013/05/18 04:48:54
    Jennifer Gavalis
    The website for this product says it can go over certain types of stains. You can read what they specify...rustoleumrestore.co...
  • margaret martinotti 2012/09/21 16:32:09
    margaret martinotti
    +3
    We are in the middle of using this product as we speak, i have put 1 coat on and waiting for the weather to change before i put on another. I agree that the amount it recommends is not accurate, they suggested 3, 5 gallon cans and i need 1 more to complete the job. It is very, very thick and hard to apply even with the restore rollers. I am not convinced that the claims of it lasting for years is true but my hope is it will last longer than a year and what a job it would be taking this stuff off !!!!! It's taking ages to apply so make sure you have a lot more time and money than you calculated to complete this job. Hope this helps, good luck !!!!
  • mjones 2012/07/01 20:10:44
    mjones
    +3
    Its too expensive for what it is and it gets flaming hot in the summer ( don't forget to wear your shoes) my kids have received burns on their feet. It doesn't hold up as well as they say I have only had it for a year and it already peeling back and the product does not cover as much square footage as promised on the box so plan to spend a lot more than you originally estimated. next time I will just sand my deck down or start over this stuff was very disappointing.
  • ZBBfan4... mjones 2013/05/16 00:29:52 (edited)
    ZBBfan4ever
    +1
    I'm not sure when you left your comment, but I just wanted to say that our deck around our pool is too hot to walk on barefoot. I used throw rugs and outdoor area rugs and that helps. We bought 3 large umbrellas as well. We use to have an in ground pool and oh how I wish we did now instead of this mess!
  • Toni Abad 2011/05/09 21:39:30
    Toni Abad
    +1
    i just wanted to say that i sell this product for 29.00 a box as opposed to the competion, i work for home depot .. Nothing out there last forever , but so far it seems it will keep it for a few more years so far....
  • yankee'... Toni Abad 2011/05/11 11:37:39
    yankee's wife
    Thanks for the info! Hate to invest all the time to paint a deck and have to do it again the following year!
  • Toni Abad yankee'... 2011/06/02 18:02:43
    Toni Abad
    ive had nothing but good feed back in the store sorry you had a bad experience
  • yankee'... Toni Abad 2011/06/02 21:05:02
    yankee's wife
    Oh, I didn't have a bad experience - I wanted to get feedback before I tried it. Thanks again!
  • ZBBfan4... Toni Abad 2013/05/16 00:37:42
    ZBBfan4ever
    +2
    Toni do you still work at Home Depot? If so, have you heard any bad reviews by now? You should check out my review and look at my pictures. Needless to say, I have a BAD review of this product and the evidence to prove it!

2014/11/01 11:23:36