Has an animal ever bit you?

Sister Jean 2012/11/18 02:35:56
Related Topics: animal

yes
    +5
    YES .. (Several different animals, actually )

NOWADAYS ..

when working in the barn area ..
    I usually put my work gloves in a back pocket when I am opening/closing latches/gates ..
    there's ONE of the horses in particular ..
    that likes to let me know it is around ..
    and will nip at the back pocket where I put the gloves ..
    (just letting me know it is around)..

(really doesn't bother me that much .. NOT that hard of a nip .. just enough to let me know it recognizes me in the stalls)

• Black Night 2012/11/24 13:48:15
    yes
    Black Night
    +1
    My dog Roo bit my leg once and now I have a scar from it.
  • Tresa 2012/11/19 00:27:46
    yes
    Tresa
    +1
    Shetland pony grabbed me by the back of the arm, didn't break skin but left a huge bruise.
  • Me 2012/11/18 23:06:36
    yes
    Me
    +1
    by a doberman...it kept pinching me with its teeth
  • Butch 2012/11/18 20:13:10
    yes
    Butch
    +1
    All the time when I was a youngster.
  • Jlmpatro 2012/11/18 19:50:14
    no
    Jlmpatro
  • lamestrider 2012/11/18 19:03:57
    lamestrider
    +1
    I wouldn't consider it a bite, just a couple of puppies that were still teething nawed on my finger.
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/11/18 16:50:46
    yes
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    A kitten bit me when I tried to feed it a piece of fish from the tip on my index finger. Kittens have super-sharp teeth, so one tooth went all the way in and my finger stayed sore for quite some time.
  • RoxxieRawrzz 2012/11/18 16:26:16
    yes
    RoxxieRawrzz
    +1
    A dog once. And my cat everyday - but I'm not sure if that counts, because my cat only bites when he's playing around.
  • Gloria 2012/11/18 14:45:04
    yes
    Gloria
    +1
    Two dogs and a few horses.
  • Sister ... Gloria 2012/11/18 15:01:21
  • TheLightBehindYourEyes 2012/11/18 14:36:22
    yes
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    +1
    Yes, I have been bitten on the hand by a dog. To my surprise, it did not hurt like I thought it would.
  • Blonde Rebellion 2012/11/18 14:23:05
    yes
    Blonde Rebellion
    +1
    Many times by different animals,none left a scar though..
  • Kidasha 2012/11/18 14:07:01
    yes
    Kidasha
    +1
    Taking care of my aunt's dog and he bit me when I tried to stop him from attacking the electrician. Left a nasty scar on my leg
  • Grabitz 2012/11/18 14:00:38
    no
    Grabitz
    +1
    No , I have even had a pack of dogs run past me and get the guy behind me . Weird enough . Animals just take to me for some reason where humans don't . I think animals are smarter .
  • stormbringer <3 awesomeness9 2012/11/18 13:19:31
    no
    stormbringer <3 awesomeness9
    +2
    never in my life. animals just....like me for some reason.
  • tredzwater 2012/11/18 12:59:15
    yes
    tredzwater
    +2
    Hoo boy! I'm a dog trainer. My arms are covered in scars. I've never been bitten by a class dog but people don't pay my private fees for NICE dogs.

Outside of dogs, I've only been bitten once. I had a garter snake (Mrs. Slither) who lived in the World's Most Awesome Terrarium (jk) in my classroom. She nailed me one day and left this tiny, little scraping wound. It was nothing...like skinning your knee...only much smaller. But, it infected, took forever to heal and left it's own special place in my memory.
  • Sister ... tredzwater 2012/11/18 15:01:51
  • chucky 2012/11/18 12:46:44
    yes
    chucky
    +2
    Dog bit me when I tried separating them while they were fighting,ended up in hospital when the wound went septic.
  • tredzwater chucky 2012/11/18 13:02:34
    tredzwater
    +3
    Ooooh, Chucky, NEVER try to break up a dogfight. I know that's the first instinct but it's one of the most dangerous things you can do! If a hose is handy, try that. Or...good choice...spray some mosquito repellent, like Deep Woods Off, in their faces. The stuff is just alcohol and citrus oil but it will smell bad and sting their noses and they might...accent on "might"...back off.

Otherwise, all you can do is hope they don't kill or maim each other.
  • chucky tredzwater 2012/11/18 14:29:46
    chucky
    +2
    Yeah I know now,trouble is water didnt help! I kinda lost it when the one dog looked like it was dying,and like you said It was one of the worst things to do.I was taken to the ER where a young inexperienced doctor treated me.She didnt see how deep the bite was,2 days later there was pus leaking out where she had stitched and my hand was swollen,and the red color was going up my wrist.I saw another Doc and when I saw how he reacted,I knew I was in trouble.I was admitted straight away,they took out the old stitches , looked like they were going to tear out anyway.An Orthopedic surgeon examined me and he asked me who the Doctor was that treated me.He was furious.I tell you I thought I was going to die,they had to put me under general anaesthetic to suture the deep wound.The mosquito repellent is something that is interesting,and logic tells me that would be good idea,thanks.I try to avoid situations by taking my dogs near
    other's.The Irony is that the dog I was trying to save,is the one that bit me.
  • tredzwater chucky 2012/11/18 15:54:46
    tredzwater
    +2
    Wow! That was horrible!

And, I do know how it feels to watch two dogs fighting and to stand there, helplessly. I also know how professionals can really mess up. I once read a book, written by a vet, that advised breaking up a fight by grabbing the more aggressive dog's back legs and pinching...hard...on the genitals. Just picture that! The dog is already angry. You pinch him/her in the dangly bits. The mouth is perfectly free to whip around and grab the pincher. I never had much respect for a vet's expertise in dog training after that. And they have none for my expertise in suturing. Good for both of us!

A dog in fear, anger or pain has no brain. Rational thought processes are completely flooded by the hormones that are needed for the fight. Your own dog may bite you in such a situation. Be prepared or stand aside and watch. It's a hard choice but the only one that will keep you safe.
  • chucky tredzwater 2012/11/18 16:12:39
    chucky
    +1
    Yeah somewhere I heard that grabbing a back leg and lifting it high,could help,but I wont try anything like that,as you pointed out an enraged dog can turn on you.I think now in retrospect it was the yelling of my wife and sister in law,that prompted me to do what I did.That would be another tip,get all the yelling people especially kids away!Then try the water and mosquito repellent.
  • tredzwater chucky 2012/11/18 16:21:34
  • Sister ... chucky 2012/11/18 15:02:17
    +1
    that's awful
  • chucky Sister ... 2012/11/18 16:14:31
    chucky
    Not only awful but painful as well!
  • Prettyawesome 2012/11/18 12:09:34
    yes
    Prettyawesome
    +1
    My cat
  • Kimberley 2012/11/18 11:01:47
    yes
    Kimberley
    +1
    have really bad scars that now even show through a tattoo on my forearm... my dog is huge (Great Dane, 90 kilos) and he doesnt really know his own strength... couple years back we were messing around and roughing it up when he jumped up on the couch with his front legs, grabbed my arm and then accidentally slipped off the couch...
  • PD 2012/11/18 10:49:42
    yes
    PD
    +1
    yea my dog and a swan bit my dad
  • Prem 2012/11/18 10:26:39
    yes
    Prem
  • onetirednurse 2012/11/18 10:02:31 (edited)
    yes
    onetirednurse
    +3
    By my dog but it was an accident. I was playing tug of war with her and she tried to regrab the rope and got 2 of my fingers instead. Then she ran off looking very sad because she hurt me. I had to hug and kiss on her to make her feel better..

My parents bird bit me once too. He was walking around on my shoulder, I have long hair and he got his wing tangled in my hair. He panicked trying to get free and bit my ear so hard it went through the cartridge. My mom had to cut my hair to get him untangled. (that's also the worst hair cut I ever got)
  • tredzwater onetire... 2012/11/18 13:03:41
    tredzwater
    +2
    Ow! That bird story makes me hurt just to read it.
  • onetire... tredzwater 2012/11/18 17:24:41
    onetirednurse
    +1
    It was very painful and bloody, he pierced my ear clean through with that super sharp beak. To add insult to injury it also ruined one of my favorite shirts.
  • tredzwater onetire... 2012/11/18 17:27:06
    tredzwater
    +1
    Oh...wow! That attack, so close to my eyes, would have been a major trauma for me. Did it leave a scar?

(Not to mention the shirt, of course.)
  • onetire... tredzwater 2012/11/18 17:38:13
    onetirednurse
    +1
    It did leave a scar but since it's in the fold of the upper part of the ear my hair hides it pretty well. I was more traumatized seeing the big chunk of hair my mom cut lol
  • tredzwater onetire... 2012/11/18 17:41:39
    tredzwater
    +1
    Shoot, I'll bet. Even though bad hair cuts grow out, it's hell while they do it.
  • onetire... tredzwater 2012/11/18 17:51:46
    onetirednurse
    +1
    Yeah... When I went to see my hair dresser so she could even the cut out she asked me if Jack the Ripper got a hold of my hair. She had to cut it short in order to fix it. It felt like a lifetime waiting for it grow out..
  • tredzwater onetire... 2012/11/18 17:56:17 (edited)
    tredzwater
    +1
    I'm a redhead and always wanted to be a blonde. After two SERIOUS tries, the best my hairdresser could do was pumpkin orange. She wouldn't do another bleach so I thought I'd do it myself. It came out sort of bright strawberry blonde but I thought it would look better when it was dry so I set it. Next morning, when I started to take out the rollers, the hair came with them. I could just pull each roller out as it was.

I had to wear a wig and it seemed as if it would stay that way FOREVER!

So, I feel your pain. "Jack the Ripper"...LOLOL
  • onetire... tredzwater 2012/11/18 21:16:55
    onetirednurse
    +1
    OMG!!! I would have freaked out seeing my hair come out with the rollers. I've had nightmares in which I'm brushing my hair and it all comes out on the brush.

I tried to color my hair myself once, it turned my hair Big Bird yellow. I had to pay a lot of money to have it corrected..
  • tredzwater onetire... 2012/11/18 21:43:09
    tredzwater
    +1
    Freak out is exactly what I did.
  • onetire... tredzwater 2012/11/19 03:30:36
    onetirednurse
    +1
    And I don't blame you one bit for doing so.

2014/07/24 23:04:27