Gravity is just a theory. Should the Theory of Intelligent Falling be taught as an alternative theory in science class?

Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2012/09/23 17:13:29

• JMCC 2012/09/23 17:25:11
    I am a godless gravitationalist.
    JMCC
    +3
    I would have thought "intelligent falling" would have been known as parachuting or gliding...

just saying..

• Alex♥Adam 2012/09/24 11:10:59
  • Cameleon 2012/09/23 23:25:47 (edited)
    Teach the controversy!
    Cameleon
    Stupidity is still rampant and known no bound.

http://wilstar.com/theories.h...

Theory: A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. Unfortunately, even some scientists often use the term "theory" in a more colloquial sense, when they really mean to say "hypothesis." That makes its true meaning in science even more confusing to the general public.

In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.

In fact, some laws, such as the law of gravity, can also be theories when taken more generally. The law of gravity is expressed as a single mathematical expression and is presumed to be true all over the universe and all through time. Without such an assumption, we can do no science based on gravity's effects. But from the law, we derived the theory of gravity which describes how gravity works, what causes it, and how it behaves. We also use that to develop another theory, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, in whi...

http://wilstar.com/theories.h...

In fact, some laws, such as the law of gravity, can also be theories when taken more generally. The law of gravity is expressed as a single mathematical expression and is presumed to be true all over the universe and all through time. Without such an assumption, we can do no science based on gravity's effects. But from the law, we derived the theory of gravity which describes how gravity works, what causes it, and how it behaves. We also use that to develop another theory, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, in which gravity plays a crucial role. The basic law is intact, but the theory expands it to include various and complex situations involving space and time.

The biggest difference between a law and a theory is that a theory is much more complex and dynamic. A law describes a single action, whereas a theory explains an entire group of related phenomena. And, whereas a law is a postulate that forms the foundation of the scientific method, a theory is the end result of that same process.
  • sonofason 2012/09/23 22:59:04
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/09/23 22:56:19
    I am a godless gravitationalist.
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    LOL!
  • The Laughing man 2012/09/23 19:57:40
    Teach the controversy!
    The Laughing man
    it is gods will! intelligent counting must also be brought into our schools less the heathen masses pollute the mind of our god fearing children!
  • Not My Real Name 2012/09/23 19:46:34
    Teach the controversy!
    Not My Real Name
    Well played, sir.

The issue is people are so scientifically illiterate that they don't know what the word "theory" means, triply so for conspiracy hypothesists.
  • Cameleon Not My ... 2012/09/23 23:26:42
    Cameleon
    exactly
  • MyPaperBleedsInk 2012/09/23 19:32:00
    I am a godless gravitationalist.
    MyPaperBleedsInk
    Hahaha.... I friggin' love that. The way it was phrased, at least.
    I've also brought up the theory of gravity when talking to people who don't understand scientific theories..... but I never thought to call an alternative, "intelligent falling". Genius.
  • Clay Slayer 2012/09/23 18:38:38 (edited)
    I am a godless gravitationalist.
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    Gravity is a proven fact.. I dont see anything theoretic about falling.. Not real intelligent to fall..
  • sluggostalker 2012/09/23 18:25:50
    I am a godless gravitationalist.
    sluggostalker
    That's good no that's great thanx for the first laugh of the day
  • JMCC 2012/09/23 17:25:11
    I am a godless gravitationalist.
    JMCC
    +3

just saying..

2014/12/27 20:46:42