Grave Visit: Is It OK Talk To Dead People?

Fef 2011/06/09 15:52:25
I recently visited a the grave of a relative. I felt the natural inclination to talk to the spirit of those in the graves. Some people specifically go to graves to talk to their departed loved ones.

This inspired me to do some research about the Judeo-Christian religious rules regarding talking to dead people.

Chabad-Lubavitch, the worldest largest Hasidic movement in Orthodox Judaism, and scholars of the Torah say the following about speaking to dead people:
Much care must be taken to direct one's personal prayers at graveside to God. To pray to the deceased, or to speak directly to him in the form of prayer, borders on blasphemy. It is sheer necromancy, outlawed by the Bible (Deut. 18, 11) along with sorcerers, soothsayers and enchanters. Not all the good intentions in the world can justify praying to the dead as intermediaries. That is an abomination to a people that has based its faith on the unity of God, and has abhorred spiritualizing via ghosts and wizards. Better no visitation to the cemetery at all than one which induces "inquiring of the dead."

The Hebrew bible has numerous mentions prohibiting the attempt to communicate with the dead.

Leviticus 19:31
'Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.' (NIV)

Leviticus 20:27
"Men and women among you who act as mediums or psychics must be put to death by stoning. They are guilty of a capital offense." (NLT)

Deuteronomy 18:10-13
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God. (NIV)

1 Chronicles 10:13-14
Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse. (NIV)

Read More: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/2816...

• courtney 2012/02/22 16:30:05
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    courtney
    i thhink it is ok to talk to dead
  • MIKEY 2011/10/15 10:55:28
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    MIKEY
    it's healing...and i think they can hear us in their own way...
  • seathanaich 2011/08/22 02:17:23 (edited)
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    seathanaich
    Hi Fef,

As you know I'm an atheist and don't believe in spirits.

It's not the "dead" who benefit from being talked to. It's the person doing the talking. Talking to the dead is (in moderation) probably a healthy part of the grieving process. Like most things, if it continues too long, happens too frequently, or is actually believed to be a real process by the person doing it, then the person doing it is either not dealing healthily with the loss, or is somewhat delusional.

But that doesn't mean it's a natural and appropriate thing to do, at least soon after their death, or on intervals (like the anniversary of their death). Ritual is important in grieving, which is why people do it. If a loved one is buried in a grave yard, it's perfectly natural to want to visit that place. It's also perfectly reasonable to "talk" to them. I think it's delusional to think they are listening, but you're not talking for their benefit, you are talking for yours. And that's just fine. I hope you had a wonderful visit with your departed loved one, and that you re-dedicated yourself to living each day to the fullest.
  • Ahim Anyd 2011/08/02 10:01:09
    Hmm....
    Ahim Anyd
    http://adf.ly/2FvCb life after death
  • kent 2011/07/27 03:25:08
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    kent
    Taling to them is fine...it only becomes a problem when Nurse Ratchet and the doctor catches you listening to them!!!
  • Bryan the Salted Cracker 2011/07/27 02:06:01
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Bryan the Salted Cracker
    Why not? They can hear you in a way...
  • moo 2011/07/22 19:55:05
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    moo
    It a really great thing to do to talk with your lost love ones that are dead already. It shows that you really care for them still and love them a lot no matter if there still gone and you can't see them anymore. Their spirits will always live on forever. Dead people still live on and can hears us.
  • hazeyjane 2011/06/28 13:05:38
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    hazeyjane
    there are lot's of people who find great comfort and solace in doing so and other then that what ever make your clock tick!!
  • nee 2011/06/15 16:25:41
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    nee
    Sometimes it just makes you feel better.
    If they talk back...then you might want to worry about it:)
  • Dayna_king 2011/06/15 02:37:56
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Dayna_king
    It's fine just as long as you don't get a middle person or do as some sort of pray. I have in the past done some talking like "Hey aunt ___ I sure miss you and wish you were here, you last week your grandson was telling.........." You get the point I hope.
  • TerroRising~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/10 12:25:01
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    TerroRising~PWCM~JLA
    While I am aware of what the scriptures say, when I am speaking to the dead (my son) it is not prayers that I offer at his graveside. Those were answered years ago, it is my own thoughts no requests. I suppose that sounds like splitting hairs. Mostly, IMHO, we visit graves as a purely selfish act. To keep some sembelance of their role in life active and "alive", even if only to ourselves. I could not imagine going to his grave and NOT telling him how sorry I am that I failed and how much he is missed by us all and that I will be there soon-God willing, of course. It has been three years now that I haven't been as I do not live in that state anymore, and I still will say my peace when the time and need arises, in private of course.
  • WGN 2011/06/10 11:25:02
    Hmm....
    WGN
    Yes, as long as ione realizes that one is speaking to the memory of that person and that there is really nobody listening except themselves!
  • ♠Jen♠ BN - 0 2011/06/10 11:22:20
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    ♠Jen♠ BN - 0
    I'm not sure if talking to a rotting lump of flesh will do you much good, but I see no harm in it. It's natural to ask those we love for advice or understanding, and I see no reason to break the habit whether you get an answer or not.
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/06/10 09:07:53
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Myrle Hulme
    Sure if you have something they must know, only thing you won't always receive an answer
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    +1
    You know what .. there are some thing that we always may have wished to have said to the dearly departed .. but never got the chance .. so yes, I do believe that we can take an opportunity to go to their gravesite .. their place of rest .. and speak to them out loud .. as if they were there .. to let them know what we would have said (if given the chance) ..

It is not about praying to the deceased, it is not about directing prayers to God in the form of an /intercessory/ .. it is about having a conversation .. a bit of comfort .. that you didn't have the opportunity to have with your relative prior to their passing ..
  • Mindy 2011/06/10 03:44:05
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Mindy
    +2
    "to pray to the deceased, or to speak directly to him in the form of prayer, borders on blasphemy."

simply speaking to the dead is not "praying to or at them, nor is it blasphemy.
  • Truth Matters 2011/06/10 00:24:17
    Hmm....
    Truth Matters
    +2
    If the dead talk back, you should be concerned.
  • Solomonster 2011/06/09 23:17:34
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Solomonster
    +2
    It is a healthy way for one to move forward with their own life. I speak to the dead regularly. I would tell you it has helped me in my time of sorrow and fear on more than one occasion.
  • ga~nome 2011/06/09 23:14:27
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    ga~nome
    +3
    What would be the difference between talking to the departed and praying? Not much in my observation, it's all speaking into the unseen. Besides I don't interprete the quotes listed as equating with what you described when visiting a gravesite. You're really not 'consulting' with the departed in a 'dark magic' sort of way , you're just sharing your thoughts and feelings. The living has been uttering to the departed since the beginning of time. And I doubt we'll stop doing it anytime soon.
  • Gregaj7 2011/06/09 23:13:17
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    +2
    This all depends on HOW you do it. Doing this through demons is not recommended (the scriptures you chose backs this up).
  • Jippy Jamie Joe (Jamie) 2011/06/09 22:51:38
    Hmm....
    Jippy Jamie Joe (Jamie)
    +2
    i dont know ...they really want hear you but go ahead if you want to
  • Jippy Jamie Joe (Jamie) 2011/06/09 22:51:32
    Jippy Jamie Joe (Jamie)
    +1
  • SK-pro impeachment 2011/06/09 21:01:09 (edited)
    Hmm....
    SK-pro impeachment
    +4
    for the most part people go because it brings some form of comfort. it depends on what the intent is. if you go to talk to the dead for some spiritual guidance then yes it is forbidden by God. Although i think that Jesus Christ is the one to talk to that only He by the Holy Spirit can bring true comfort.
  • AgitateEducateDisseminate 2011/06/09 20:46:35
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    AgitateEducateDisseminate
    +1
    Get your priorities straight. If God even existed he wouldn't mind you talking to your dead friends and family.
  • SK-pro ... Agitate... 2011/06/09 21:04:13
    SK-pro impeachment
    +3
    IF you don't know if He even exists or not how would you then know what he minds and doesn't mind. Why do you speak for a God that you don't believe exists???
  • Agitate... SK-pro ... 2011/06/11 03:37:05
    AgitateEducateDisseminate
    Whether I believe in God is irrelevant to discussing the logistics he would supposedly have.
  • bob 2011/06/09 19:37:07
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    bob
    +3
    It's when they talk back.... watch out
  • Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    υяsυℓα  vεηgεαηcε ►нαя∂ cσяε sтяαιgнт ε∂gε◄
    +4
    Whatever helps bring closure
  • Leo 2011/06/09 18:56:48
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Leo
    +3
    As long as they don't talk back.
  • CharlesG BN-0 2011/06/09 18:46:29
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    CharlesG BN-0
    +2
    With some of them it may be the only time you could get a word in edgewise.
  • Ravensoul 2011/06/09 18:44:32
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Ravensoul
    +2
    I don't think there's anything wrong or strange about this at all. I think it's fine and may bring peace for the moment.
  • tooner259 2011/06/09 18:30:51
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    tooner259
    +2
    Just don`t expect any answers.I used to share a qt,or six pack of my PopPop`s favorite beer around the holidays.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/06/09 18:16:14
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +3
    TALKING "TO" IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN "WITH."
  • lucky 2011/06/09 18:15:30
    Hmm....
    lucky
    +2
    In the way you mention i dont think its wrong, I could be wrong but consulting with spiritualist or medium usually requires a response from the dead I think.

Maybe the problem isnt talking to the dead but believing or allowing the dead to talk back.
  • Marie 2011/06/09 18:12:22 (edited)
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Marie
    +3
    Have been talking (silently) to all my loved ones who have passed just about every day! Not at the cemetary, and not in the form of prayer.. talking lovred passed cemetary form prayer talking to those who have passed on
  • relic 2011/06/09 17:59:03 (edited)
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    relic
    +3
    I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe they can hear you... that would be nice.
  • Crazy Feet 2011/06/09 17:33:34
    Hmm....
    Crazy Feet
    +3
    consulting a medium etc. to talk to the dead possibly to get answers about something, and just talking to the departed at a grave site seem to be two different things in my mind.
  • Spider20 2011/06/09 17:17:43
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Spider20
    +4
    If it helps you, comforts you......no problem, just do it....
  • BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust" 2011/06/09 16:30:20
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust"
    +5
    If it brings you peace, do it.
  • Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR 2011/06/09 16:30:17
    Yes, Talking to the Dead is Fine
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +5
    Yes talking to the dead helps in the loss of the loved one. I do it and it helps me and I know they hear me in heaven. Most people do it ..it is in a way we are still close to our dearly departed.

2014/10/24 10:37:01