GOP Rep. Lankford Explains Why It Should Be Legal To Fire Someone For Being Gay

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/05/14 15:55:40
Rep. James Lankford (R-OK) told ThinkProgress last week that he believes someone should be able to be fired for his or her sexual orientation.
In a conversation on Capitol Hill, Lankford expressed his strong belief that being gay is a choice, and that LGBT workers should not be protected from workplace discrimination because it’s something they can change. “You don’t walk up to someone on the street and look at them and say, ‘gay or straight?’” Lankford said:

STRASSER: Would you support a law that says you can’t fire someone for their sexual orientation –
KEYES: Similar to protections for people on race or gender?
LANKFORD: Well, you’re now dealing with behavior and I’m trying to figure out exactly what you’re trying to mean by that. Because you’re dealing with — race and sexual preferences are two different things. One is a behavior-related and preference-related and one is something inherently — skin color, something obvious, that kind of stuff. You don’t walk up to someone on the street and look at them and say, “Gay or straight?”
KEYES: But you think that even if you can’t see they’re that way, you don’t think someone is born gay necessarily?
LANKFORD: Do I personally? No. I don’t. I think it’s a choice issue. Are tendencies and such? Yes. But I think it’s a choice issue.
Watch it:

Being gay is actually not a choice, according to the American Medical Association, the American Association of Pediatrics, the American Psychological Association, and all other accredited medical organizations. A large percentage of LGBT workers have experienced discrimination at work and many have been fired because of their sexual orientation.

Though Lankford will surely vote against it, a bipartisan group of senators released a letter yesterday calling on Congress to hold hearings about putting a non-discrimination law in place. The Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee will take up the issue later this month.

----------------------------------------------------------
when did ignorance

if your Religious Fine you have the Right to be Religious keep it in your home and in your place of Worship
you do not have the right to impose your Religious beliefs on others

that is why we have separation of Church and State
we have Freedom of Religion and From Religion
so Government cant tell you what to worship and the church cant tell the Government how to Govern Which means Christians can not Force thier Religious beliefs on non Christians they can not tell people that Gays cant marriage because its in the bible
or the right to fire people because they are Gay or bi or Straight or have a different Religion
that is the whole point of Separation of church and State

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/14/482200/la...

• flaca BN-0 2012/05/14 22:01:02
    Lankford is closeted. That's why he thinks it's a choice. Because HE'S making...
    flaca BN-0
    +5
    I'm sorry but I've never seen a gayer lookin' dude than this guy.

• Technotrucker_exposingthetruth 2012/05/15 05:20:19
    if your Religious Fine you have the Right to be Religious keep it in your hom...
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    If you are gay fine, keep it in your home. You do not have the right to impose your sexual preference or perversion into my place of business, my church, my community, my kids schools. Works both ways.
  • Republican Ladder 2012/05/15 01:47:45
    Should a gay employer also be able to fire you for being heterosexual? Should...
    Republican Ladder
    +1
    All employera have the right to have the staff that directly represent the values and principle of thier company. What is wrong is the goverment forcing employers go make decision. the fact is if a gay person has the abilty to proform his duties and have th profesional appearence of his peers, then should have the lienancy to protext by law. the second he violates the coduct conduct, the employer has the leagl right to present the case of fire a gay employee. the saying is simple, u leave your problems at home. dint bring to work. if your employer has the company guidline set when u begin employment then there is no secritive plot against them. the guidlines are as follows, follow them and go to work!!!
  • ALofRI Republi... 2012/05/15 14:48:16
    ALofRI
    Wow! And you belong to the party that wants to strip money from public education? You are hurting yourself at LEAST as much as others.
  • Republi... ALofRI 2012/05/20 17:16:46
    Republican Ladder
    Dont derail the conversation using party affilation. you have no clue what my party intends to do. there are more then one type of republican. as far respond to you imuture way of changing the subject, education is handle all wrong. let be quite frank if politics was the same as golf i would school the majority of our planet hitting eagles with the subject matter i am prepared to fulky discuss in deapth.

the bottm line we all have the constitutiinal right to protect our self preservation. as a businness owner this includes the true dynamics of the company at harm of violation of policy. it isnt racist to to have values and principle right out of the gate and stick to it.

forget about republican. u want hit the reply button again taulk to me, not the the voices from sodahead. ausome. This should be clear.
  • Raymond Allamby 2012/05/15 01:31:38
    Raymond Allamby
    +3
    if there was a visual test for closet gays, this guy would be the example they compared the candidates to. this guy should be the poster boy for closeted gays.
  • JwonGalt 2012/05/15 01:08:00
    <--------- Once again banging head against wall at the sheer stupidity of the...
    JwonGalt
    +3
    Lincoln would be dissapointed in the Grand Old Party
  • D.C. Willis 2012/05/14 22:21:06
    Discrimination and bigotry: alive and well in yes 'ol U... S.... of.... A
    D.C. Willis
    +3
    I do not consider the opinion of a man that looks like he couldn't get laid in brothel even with a hand full of hundreds.
  • misterz D.C. Wi... 2012/08/25 17:36:17
  • flaca BN-0 2012/05/14 22:01:02
    flaca BN-0
    +5
  • CTF flaca BN-0 2012/05/14 22:55:45
    CTF
    +2
    What about Marcus Bachmann?
  • the Sup... flaca BN-0 2012/08/25 19:20:19
    the Supreme
    really....since when do straight men blow kisses lol marcus bachmann
  • ALofRI 2012/05/14 20:14:18
    These people will not be happy until they have stuffed their hateful, punitiv...
    ALofRI
    +2
    It really scares me to think what will become of freedom in America, I mean REAL freedom, if we allow this extremely radical right wing to get ANY more power than they have at this moment in time. Religion is NOT "freedom". This country was founded by men who fully intended to PREVENT religious persecution as found in England and Europe at that time, and now some are trying to bring it back! NO! The color of skin, our gender, what we do in our bedrooms should be part of our freedom.
  • Nick Name 2012/05/14 19:20:36
    Only in America where being overweight is genetic and being gay is a choice.
    Nick Name
    +1
    If you're fat and gay then you are totally screwed. And not in the good way.

fat gay man
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/05/14 19:04:14
    An employee's personal life is not the business of a capricious employer who ...
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +4
    Lankford is an idiot.
  • BALANCED 2012/05/14 16:57:57 (edited)
    BALANCED
    +4
    just another I'm saved & your not xian bigoted idiot-
    you can not use your religious dogma to judge anyone in the public sector --
    even your fantasy godZ words say
    "JUDGE NOT"
    lots of xians are 100% dimwits convinced by some words written by MEN [ not god ] in their handbook - telling them they are always right as long as they say the word jesus first & longest & loudest - bigoted egotistical idiots at best -
    we are a free country - free to choose -
    I don't agree that "gay" is a lifestyle choice -
    BUT SO FKG WHAT IF IT IS -is freedom of choice determined by ONE religious cult now -
    MORE CONSTITUTION - LESS BIBLE IS THE ANSWER !!
  • cents-less 2012/05/14 16:47:10
    Why oh why can't these republicans focus on the most important issues AT HAND...
    cents-less
    and the democrats. and the independents....
    Let's just say the politicians.
  • the_old_coach 2012/05/14 16:11:37
    Religion is a choice. Ignorance is a choice. Hate is a choice.
    the_old_coach
    +2
    For the first time ever, I must say that there are too MANY choices here...but perhaps that's psychological...hahahaha...but yeah, the bigotry of these people is mind-numbing.
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/05/14 16:10:18
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +2
    Rep. Langford knows sexuality is a choice because?
  • ALofRI Chris- ... 2012/05/14 20:20:17
    ALofRI
    +4
    Mr & Mrs. Bachmann told him so, and the Bible told THEM so, and they've found out the Girl Scouts are lesbians, and...and...the Tele-Tubbies are GAY, and, and we're ALL going to HELL! (If Langford doesn't save us)!
  • Chris- ... ALofRI 2012/05/14 21:28:20
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +2
    Oh yeah. I keep forgetting...
    laughing
  • justnotsaying (: 2012/05/14 16:09:08
    justnotsaying (:
    +1
    What a dufus Mcnufus.
  • Angela Chambers 2012/05/14 16:05:24 (edited)
    Angela Chambers
    +4
    Rep. Lankford can suck my big, non- existent dick.
  • Sinpac 2012/05/14 15:57:54
    Sinpac
    +3
    For crying out loud. More Gayhate!

2014/09/02 04:41:21