GM Recall: Are GM vehicles disposable?

SenorBabyMan 2009/04/14 15:39:45
Yes. GM cars do not last.
No. Some GM cars are reliable.
GM recall!!! General Motors is recalling over 1.5 million cars because they are in danger of starting a fire. GM will simply fix a "glitch" in the cars that may cause oil to leak and lead to a fire. Man, this is one of the many reasons why I do not trust GM whatsoever.

FULL STORY

• Caroline 2009/04/14 16:07:08
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Caroline
    +2
    My husband and I have always bought GM American cars. We prefer Cadillacs and when you buy them a couple of years old they can be a great buy. Right now I have a 2003 Deville and I LOVE it, only had 1 repair problem in the last couple of years. couple years buy 2003 deville love 1 repair couple years

• concerned 2009/04/15 20:13:45
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    concerned
    reliable ..yes ...and all of those autos have default at one time or another ..
  • hw 2009/04/15 18:33:37 (edited)
    Yes. GM cars do not last.
    hw
    Sadly, the vast majority of vehicles made these days are 'disposable' by design. With existing technology, all vehicles (and major appliances for that matter) could be more durable, more reliable, and could be built so that the average non-mechanic could make many of their own basic maintenance repairs, a bit beyond 'putting air in the tires'. Liken it to the idea of re-attaching a button on a shirt, which almost anyone with a needle, thread, and button, can do, vs changing the fit of a garment, which most would have done by a tailor or seamstress. Now that more people are being forced to maintain what they have, (instead of tossing it) they are discovering how poorly many things are designed. But that is what most commerce relies on, a society with a disposable mentality. It is a big part of the mess we are in.
  • James 2009/04/15 12:32:36
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    James
    Hint the keyword SOME! that aren't from this fucked up century!
  • Katrina 2009/04/14 21:19:24
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Katrina
    As with anything there are good and not so good so you just take a risk with anything you purchase.
  • trisha brandt 2009/04/14 20:48:17
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    trisha brandt
    I have heard that some aren't from others. I don't really know though because I can't drive. I hope that they are relaible because people are paying for them. They should be.
  • very Conservative "me" 2009/04/14 18:51:54
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    very Conservative "me"
    I have a 2001 Chevy S10 pickup. Other than oil changes and tires, it's never cost me a penny. It's still on the road and runs like new. Swear by GM and GM products -
  • ALofRI 2009/04/14 18:47:47
    Yes. GM cars do not last.
    ALofRI
    I have always had American cars (the new ones anyway), and the last 5 I've had cost me big around 60,000 miles. That's a Ford a Chev., an Olds, a Dodge, and another Ford. This one cost me $1800 a few weeks ago. I am an ex mechanic (Cadillac) and I maintain my cars well. It isn't just GM. I hate to say it but I told the dealer I was sick of 60k cars and I have bought my last American. My daughter has a Honda with over 200k miles and other than normal wear parts she has had no expensive problems. (two costly timing belts but in 200k that's to be expected.)
  • explorer1618 2009/04/14 18:09:41
    Yes. GM cars do not last.
    explorer1618
    If you think any cars are to last longer than the due date of the last payment you are stupid ! Engineering of MOST cars are not to remain, because of economic and EPA requirements ! Yet price is not their concern, greed , productivity , is a generial concern, make more sell more !
  • bob 2009/04/14 17:42:39
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    bob
    I have owned a 1958 Oldsmobile for many years, and it runs like a swiss watch. See if the jap junk can last over 50 years. Of course, GM in all their wisdom discontinued the oldest auto manufactured in the world (1897 - 2004). I would say the new GM models are junk. I have a Dodge charger that is my every day car, and it is great. manufactured world 1897 2004 gm models junk dodge charger car
  • chas 2009/04/14 17:10:17
    Yes. GM cars do not last.
    chas
    +1
    As much as I "baby" my past "Chevy's", change oil, drive "easy", they tend to "junk-themselves"!!! Sad but TRUE. The 1989 Cavalier "lasted" OK, but always marked it's spot- with OIL!
  • Twitch 2009/04/14 16:37:05
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Twitch
    i hope not....we have 3 gm vechicles in our yard that works fine
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2009/04/14 16:31:17
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    But because of defective door latches that have caused over 112 deaths so far and GM has chosen to not recall and fix the problem. It just might not matter how reliable your GM is if you fall out and the honda behind you runs you over.
  • god 2009/04/14 16:15:23
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    god
    GM makes good cas, it's how people take of them that determines how long they will last. I see a lot of people who just crash and dash with them.
  • Genpatton43 2009/04/14 16:12:58
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Genpatton43
    I haven't seen much to back that claim up. I have Chevy cars and trucks since I was a teen and I rarely had a lot of issues. Especially when it came to my Camaro's. I have had 4, both new and used and other than, a 1991, the rest ran fine and were a lot of fun.
  • pbird49 2009/04/14 16:12:37
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    pbird49
    Ford just did the same thing due to fires in the electrical lines for the cruise control.
    As long as the company catches and repairs things I have no problem with them.
    I hope the auto industry learned its lesson with the Pinto gas tank explosion episodes. They don't like recall costs, but they have found they are cheaper than the legal alternatives.
  • Pet Roc... pbird49 2009/04/14 16:40:52
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    Not always. GM currently has a real problem with defective door latches. Rather than recall em, they have chosen to ignore the problem, which has caused a minimum of 112 deaths so far. And as far as the pintos go, that really was "blown" out of proportion. Chevy and GMC trucks from the same era were much more likely to explode in a side impact.
  • Caroline 2009/04/14 16:07:08
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Caroline
    +2
  • Pet Roc... Caroline 2009/04/14 16:43:30
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    Buick tends to be a particularly good in overall value, quality and reliability. They even beat Cadillac.
  • Caroline Pet Roc... 2009/04/14 17:44:24
    Caroline
    +1
    My mother has a Buick and she is very satisfied with it.
  • Lowider 2009/04/14 16:01:50
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Lowider
    +1
    They are all the same today for quality from other brands
  • the imposter 2009/04/14 16:00:11
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    the imposter
    all cars are disposable
  • Urara Kasuga 2009/04/14 15:51:32 (edited)
  • Carey 2009/04/14 15:51:15
    Yes. GM cars do not last.
    Carey
    +2
    And that is why we buy the car's from overseas. They last! They are not built to trash themselves in three years so you have to buy another one!
  • Ninfar 2009/04/14 15:44:36
    No. Some GM cars are reliable.
    Ninfar
    +1
    Well,I think "some" of them are.I have had them in the past and they just wore out naturally after decades of hard use.

2014/10/26 06:15:13