Girls Trying to Look Like Living Dolls: Sweet or Sick?

SodaHead Living 2012/03/30 21:00:00
Little girls have always liked dolls ... but now, not-so-little girls may be liking them a little too much. As in, trying to turn themselves into living Barbies. According to The Daily Mail, teens who look like dolls are becoming Internet sensations, dispensing beauty tips to their legions of adoring fans.

girl doll

According to the Mail, Dakota Rose (known to her fans as Kota Koti) has been called a real-life Barbie due to her big eyes and doll-like lips and complexion. Kota silently gives fashion and beauty tutorials on YouTube, while subtitles explain her makeup and style tips. (Get it? Dolls don't talk!)

Another "living doll," known as Venus Angelic, also gives tutorials. A Bolivian newspaper, Opinion.com.bo reported: "Thousands of girls around the world have shown interest in this girl, wanting to look like her." We don't know about you, but this seems like a pretty disturbing trend to us. Do you think it's healthy for girls to aspire to look like dolls? Or totally sick?

venus angelic

• Rafika 2013/09/24 15:24:51
  • Mary Bryson 2013/09/07 14:02:37
    Sick
    Mary Bryson
    I wouldnt say " sick".......but DISTURBED. ....for sure....of course this only my opinion. A woman can look "Natural" even with makeup....
  • KyuhyunxOnew 2013/05/06 00:51:32
    Sweet
    KyuhyunxOnew
    I'm all for this look! It's so cute.
    And seriously, since when being and looking cute is sexualizing children?
    You prefer they go sexy only because it's "normal" in this generation?
    And they ARE being themselves, the doll lifestyle is up to them. So stop it.
    And this doesn't affect their personality.
    Do you know them? Yeah, so shut up.
    But it's okay if you find it creepy, but please don't be a hypocrite.
    I find this style so cute. I also want to look like a porcelain doll or be a china doll ^^
    I mean it's just a style, get over it. Some ARE healthy, don't even start with anorexia.
    And as long as they don't do plastic surgery, or even so, it's their style.
    I find it cute ^^
  • Marie 2013/03/22 18:25:01
    Sweet
    Marie
    its sweet but they should leave it to asian women.
  • Faye 2013/02/11 01:31:52
    Sweet
    Faye
    I think it's adorable :3
  • Pinky 2013/01/27 13:44:57
    Sweet
    Pinky
    I think there very cute. The alternative could be tattoo's and piercings all over her face.
  • killbill 2012/09/07 12:58:29
    Sick
    killbill
    Sexualizing innocence and youth in this manner is not appropriate. Yes, thats exactly what this is, regardless of what any of the girls involved may believe. Anyone who does not think so, or believes that anyone that thinks this is wrong, does not realize the nature of the human male. This has not been created just for girls of a certain age-its here simply to make money, regardless of the mind of those it appeals to-but is it even appropriate to give very young girls make up tips, when the world puts enough pressure through television and magazines on how we must all look good to keep up with celebrities and supermodels? Some of these girls may be over 16, but its obvious they have been made to look far more youthful, to give that innocent look, with larger eyes that are further apart than what is natural. Its not a shock to find out that this is a japanese creation, since the girls involved resemble both dolls and manga in one-essentially the way they east see the west.
  • Kyuhyun... killbill 2013/05/06 00:53:08
    KyuhyunxOnew
    +1
    how is it sexualizing innocence?
    Only because it's cute?
    They're trying to be a CUTE DOLL NOT A SEX DOLL.
    And if you look at it in a perverted way then you're the one who's wrong here.
    It's their style, what's so wrong?
    Yeah, the guys will always think everything in a perverted way.
    Does it mean we, woman, have to stop from being who we are?
    NO.
  • Lintang Rinastiti 2012/09/01 15:23:07
    Sick
    Lintang Rinastiti
    totally fake...they can't handle real life >_<
  • Sara 2012/08/04 21:34:32
    Sweet
    Sara
    Everyone is entitled to express them self either through how they want to look or how they want to act..an image is what is first seen by a person therefore, the person giving the BARBIE/DOLL like image clearly wants to be seen in that way and doesn't mind if individuals want to speculate this..have you looked into the mirror at your own reflection and though of the image that is being portrayed to the public by you.....if god put us on earth to be natural then the world would of never evolved the way it has into today's society ..no body would wash their face body and hair with shampoo or soap because it isn't natural and no body would be brushing their teeth with tooth brushes and tooth paste if the case was to be completely natural...As individuals and i use the word individuals because not one person is the same not one person thinks the same as another or acts out the same way as another..There are people in society whom dress as what they like to be known as goths or chavs..it is a mear expression on what they want to reflect to the world...if we all judge someone on putting false eye lashes etc on and looking like a doll then it is nothing but a shallow world we live in..get to know people and how they feel and what their ambitions are in life,see what their home life i...
    Everyone is entitled to express them self either through how they want to look or how they want to act..an image is what is first seen by a person therefore, the person giving the BARBIE/DOLL like image clearly wants to be seen in that way and doesn't mind if individuals want to speculate this..have you looked into the mirror at your own reflection and though of the image that is being portrayed to the public by you.....if god put us on earth to be natural then the world would of never evolved the way it has into today's society ..no body would wash their face body and hair with shampoo or soap because it isn't natural and no body would be brushing their teeth with tooth brushes and tooth paste if the case was to be completely natural...As individuals and i use the word individuals because not one person is the same not one person thinks the same as another or acts out the same way as another..There are people in society whom dress as what they like to be known as goths or chavs..it is a mear expression on what they want to reflect to the world...if we all judge someone on putting false eye lashes etc on and looking like a doll then it is nothing but a shallow world we live in..get to know people and how they feel and what their ambitions are in life,see what their home life is like walk in their shoes for a day then we would have less speculation on mear looks! The world needs to focus on what is good in life and explore their own possibilities in this world make their own print on the world and what is harming people in life and do something about that as it would be more effective and helping....not what individuals do to express their self through their looks :-)
  • Marumi 2012/08/03 05:14:12
    Sweet
    Marumi
    I love this style and I myself dress in this Lolita/school girl-esque style. And they look nothing like Barbie! Barbie is a fake tanned, curvy, bottle blonde slut that wears to much makeup and in my opinion is ugly! These girls look more beautiful and elegant like a Japanese porcelin doll! They are gorgeous! Not sick at all! Because In our conformist society having pale skin big eyes and cute full cupids bow lips and a straight nose is sick! And if they dress in anything other than Abercrombie or hollister or Aeropostale? Dear lord! Let's talk trash about them and say they are disgusting human beings! I mean come on!
  • manmeer virk 2012/07/24 13:55:03
    Sweet
    manmeer virk
    soooo cute
  • anouchka.wijnings 2012/07/18 11:43:58
    Sweet
    anouchka.wijnings
    I like! ^_^
  • Silversnake 2012/07/03 02:39:57
    Sweet
    Silversnake
    I don't necessarily like the style, but there wasn't an "other" option so I just picked this one

But personally I still don't get all the backlash on this style. Is it that much more weird than tons of tattoos or body piercings? Just because these kind of permanent body modifications are more common it doesn't mean they're any less weird than the living doll look
  • Steel Fulcher 2012/06/22 23:19:50
    Sick
    Steel Fulcher
    sick! I like the all natural look!
  • Kyuhyun... Steel F... 2013/05/06 00:54:16
    KyuhyunxOnew
    +1
    then you must find all the styles other than natural sick? ._.
  • Jamie Heiskala 2012/05/13 04:28:20
    Sweet
    Jamie Heiskala
    +1
    Yeah if they want to look like that so whats the problem? it wouldnt be something i think i could even achieve, i dont have a button nose and I'd personally rather be fit and muscular than a twig like barbie. barbie is too thin she needs more muscle anyway.
  • teengoth 2012/05/06 09:30:37
    Sweet
    teengoth
    +4
    According to the opinions on this thread...
    If you wear makeup: WHY ARE YOU SO ASHAMED OF YOUR FACE?!
    If you paint your nails: WHY ARE YOU SO INSECURE ABOUT THE NATURAL COLOR OF YOUR NAILS!?
    If you brush your teeth: WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR TEETH ROTTING? IT'S NATURAL!!
    If you bathe: WHY DO YOU WANT TO SMELL LIKE SOME PLASTIC BODYWASH INSTEAD OF YOUR NATURAL SCENT?!
    If you wear clothes: WHY DO ALL THESE YOUNG GIRLS HIDE THEIR NAKED BODIES UNDERNEATH SO MUCH CLOTHES?! IT'S THE MEDIA, I TELL YOU!

First of all, these girls aren't trying to look like Barbie. Barbie has slim, smokey eyes, with cheekbones, a large chest, and large hips. These girls have big eyes, a round face, with a very girlish and feminine body. The look is more aimed for towards porcelain dolls, or other cute things such as puppies, kittens, etc. If you look at any animal deemed as cute, it will have eyes that are larger in proportion to its other features. So the looks these girls are going for isn't specifically for plastic or glass dolls, but more coincides with the general opinion of cute.
    Secondly, how is this look 'unnatural'? It's been done for years, since the 1700s at least. That's where dolls originated, and they were based upon the style at the time - big, round eyes, long eyelashes, pouty lips, flawle...

Secondly, how is this look 'unnatural'? It's been done for years, since the 1700s at least. That's where dolls originated, and they were based upon the style at the time - big, round eyes, long eyelashes, pouty lips, flawless skin. Although that trend has faded now, it's still in the root of many cultures. Not only that, but these girls are young and already have the features to achieve this style - have you even watched their makeup videos? At maximum, they wear foundation, eyeliner, mascara, and sometimes a bit of blush, subtle false eyelashes, and colored contacts. Is that so strange? I don't see how that would be considered "too much makeup," compared to the average teenager or young adult who normally wears concealer, foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lip balm, lipstick, lipliner, and false eyelashes. Why is this 'dolly' trend looked down upon and cursed out when the latter is seen as 'normal' or 'natural'? And don't say that it isn't, because most photos of 'natural' girls (such as the Emma Watson one posted beforehand) are slathered in that exact amount of makeup. It's just not obvious.
    And on top of that, these girls aren't trying to fit any sort of societal norm - I wear the same type of makeup and similar clothing (Lolita style, based on Victorian dresses and NOT related to the book) and I am routinely harassed and insulted throughout each day by strangers and people I know. Why do I keep doing it? Because I love how I look and it makes me feel beautiful and confident. Not because I feel like I have to look like some "barbie doll."
  • animang... teengoth 2012/06/22 23:38:03
    animangaroo
    exactly they aren't dressing or looking like barbie, they are trying to go for that vintage-y doll, lolita look. i also like the lolita and victorian era clothing. also the steampunk clothing hahaha. but if you are looking for a place to buy more victorian clothes, have you tried gentlemans emporium? its online, but i think their prices and shipping are very reasonable...
  • aicha.b... teengoth 2012/06/25 10:36:45
    aicha.bah.334
    +1
    I mean lady, you took the words right out of my mouth. Whatever I was thinking of, she said it, so...
  • Kyuhyun... teengoth 2013/05/06 00:54:37
    KyuhyunxOnew
    +1
    amen
    finally someone smart here c:
  • SnoopygirlLOL 2012/04/29 18:15:52
    Sick
    SnoopygirlLOL
    that is creepy i cannot believe people would dress like that
  • Claise 2012/04/27 18:24:30
    Sweet
    Claise
    +2
    it's sweet!
  • Sweet
    ✩Batman's✩Epic✩Understudy✩
    +3
    Very creative :) Makeup is fashion and fashion is art. I don't see anything wrong with art
  • macy 2012/04/13 04:55:19
    Sick
    macy
    In most situations. Making your face look like that of a random doll is one thing. Trying to have the body of a Barbie doll is another, and some people do. Although this trend focuses on the face, it could shift to the entire body and promote anorexia.
  • Micha Vengeance Way 2012/04/12 14:35:39
    Sick
    Micha Vengeance Way
    ....
    Barf.
  • kmay 2012/04/12 14:22:40
    Sick
    kmay
    For what purpose?
  • XENON23 2012/04/12 14:18:25
    Sweet
    XENON23
    +1
    UNDECIDED!!

It looks kind of cool but I am sure some can take it way to far...I am not sure.
  • Sweet
    Яᴇv☠Doɴɴγ☠Dooᴍ☠Aɢɴosᴛɪc
    +2
    I find that neither sweet or sick. That wouldn't be attractive for me personally. But to each is own when it comes to how others express themselves is what I am about.
  • Lloydz 2012/04/09 23:57:30
    Sweet
    Lloydz
    +7
    Oh noes! Someone who is different and has an imagination! Burn it with fire! Seriously people, lighten up and relax. How boring the world would be without creative minds.
  • IndianFace.German 2012/04/09 16:06:15
    Sweet
    IndianFace.German
    +4
    Not sweet. but its fine. as long as they dont wanna look like lady gaga or any of those people. (which they do, but better for them to look like a doll then whore)
  • INDIGO 2012/04/09 15:07:40
    Sick
    INDIGO
    huh!!!??????
  • popgal616 2012/04/08 16:48:45
    Sweet
    popgal616
    +4
    So, it's ok for women to starve themselves to become skinny, but girls can't try to look more like a doll with make up. It's their choice and we should stay the hell out of it. The Japanese do things similiar to this and they are just fine. Ya'll are too judgemental.
  • spiderwebs7 2012/04/08 14:51:28
    Sweet
    spiderwebs7
    I used to play with dolls
  • erinmcclintock4@gmail.com 2012/04/06 03:42:54
    Sick
    erinmcclintock4@gmail.com
    +5
    why cant people just accept themselves for them. some girls do it for themselves but men are guilty also..cause they are the 1s who set the standard. hollywood too. what many people dont realize is...it doesnt matter in the long run how u look. cause u can be beautiful but if ur ugly on the inside your beauty doesnt matter...u end up ugly. and if your ugly but awesome inside then it makes u attractive on the out. this is said from personal experience people. ive had fine boyfriends who suck at life. and not as great 1s who were awesome...i just didnt know what i know today
  • Kyuhyun... erinmcc... 2013/05/06 00:55:57
    KyuhyunxOnew
    +3
    and the meaning is?
    they're being themselve, it's a STYLE.
    It fits them. They accept themselves.
  • Luna Wren 2012/04/05 16:08:24
    Sweet
    Luna Wren
    +2
    I think they are just trying to recapture their innocence, besides its just make up.
  • Rize 2012/04/05 16:02:27
    Sweet
    Rize
    +3
    Oh please it's just another old fashion craze, just like punks, hippies, emos, furry-fashion, whatever. Leave people to go crazy with it. It makes them happy.
    The story about the world's expectations that are too high are older than Einstein's butt hair.
  • The_Nights_Eye 2012/04/04 15:55:17
    Sick
    The_Nights_Eye
    +4
    I wouldn't say sick, but I will say it's just another unrealistic aspiration for young women to live up too, -not only that, but it's a creeper's dream come true in my opinion. I'm not a fan, but to each their own I suppose.
  • ShamshirMkII 2012/04/04 06:36:51
    Sick
    ShamshirMkII
    I mean, oy D:

2014/04/18 13:52:37